Just The Right Black

By JaneLanett

Ariana Feilman an FBI special agent was just assigned a new case to protect a billionaire. She doesn't know w... More

Editing in Progress
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
2 MILLION!
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 56 (Extended)
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Epilogue
Appreciation
Burning Touch
BLM
Editing Completed!
Broken (Snippet)

Chapter 7

35.4K 1.4K 157
By JaneLanett

Jace was mad with everyone and everything. Especially after finding out why he'd been bombarded with questions about Heather. He liked being aware of a situation before walking into something that would address that situation. If he'd known about it, he would have maybe listened to Green and stayed in the car. He was usually asked questions about the company and some other gossip relating to him, which he was always made aware of before walking into it blind. Today hadn't been the case.

Apparently, Bridget knew about the 'Heather' situation. It was all over the news this morning and she figured if it was on the news and not in some gossip magazine, that he wouldn't miss it. But he had.

Heather was spotted with her partner, her girlfriend, locking lips. Jace hadn't been very surprised. He was aware of Heather's sexual preference but they'd come to a mutual understanding of being together publicly. She would join him at social events and keep her sexual preference private while she stepped into the spotlight. It had been going great, until now.

He'd been surprised when Green walked into his office defending Bridget. Just having her in the same room as him brought him a sense of calm. He knew it wasn't because she was there to protect him but something that had to do with her as a person.

Then he'd stupidly today her she was fired without thinking about it, and instead of taking it and leaving like everyone else did, she'd shut him up by putting him in his place.

Jace smirked just thinking about how unfazed she'd seem after he told her she was fired. She hadn't even blinked. She'd taken it with ease and then thrown it back in his face then walked out like she didn't care what he did. Maybe she didn't but she cared enough about Bridget to come and talk to him like that in his office, so she did care what he did.

He liked her fiery side. Something in him wanted to take her into his arms and quench that fire he saw in her eyes, calm her down and at the same time add fuel and let them both burn.

Jace shut his eyes and took in a deep breath before exhaling slowly through his mouth.

What the fuck was he thinking?

After he calmed down, he opened his eyes.

He knew Green was right. He was letting his personal drama affect his professional life and he knew he would never get anyone who works as hard as Bridget does. Or anyone who could do anything and everything she does so flawlessly. She'd been with the company for so long, at this point she was an asset.

Jace sighed and glanced at his office door before turning around and heading towards it. As soon as he opened his office door, Green was on her feet and Bridget was near her desk, slowly pacing back and forth.

Ariana could already tell by the look on his face as he watched Bridget who stopped pacing when she saw Jace heading towards her.

"Mr. Black." She looked nervous.

"I'm sorry."

Both Bridget and Ariana were surprised by the apology but neither said anything.

"I shouldn't have fired you. None of this is your fault and you're the best employee I've ever had - this company has ever had," He said, "If I ever get angry and fire you, don't take me seriously. You're irreplaceable."

Bridget was shocked but she smiled.

"And you're more than just an employee to me. You're...family."

"Thank you." Bridget finally said,

Jace smiled and nodded before he turned around and saw Green smiling at Bridget. He hadn't seen her smile before and he was frozen on the spot by how it changed not just her entire face but her energy. Ariana's gaze shifted from Bridget to Jace and her smile disappeared instantly and just like that, she was back to her old self.

Jace reminded himself to breathe as he made his way past her and into his office. Once he was behind his office doors, he took a deep and sharp breath in and tried but failed to get that smile and those eyes out of his head. The Heather situation was history.

Letting out yet another breath, he took out his phone and dialled her number. She picked on the third ring.

"Well, you remembered me today."

"I always remember you." Jace said,

"But you never call."

"I'm always busy, mum," He said dramatically

"So, this call isn't about what I saw on the news about that slu..."

"Her name's Heather and you know that."

"Well, I tend to forget disposable things."

Jace shook his head,
"Well, you can forget her now, Charlotte."

"Finally, you've come to your senses. Too bad all it took was getting your name on today's headlines and the front page of not one but all the gossip magazines I read."

Jace groaned in distress.

"I'm yet to see any of those. How bad is it?"

"It's very bad. She's labelled with different kinds of trashy names - which she deserves but you're safe. Just expect a lot of pity coming your way in the nearest future."

"Thanks, Charlotte," Jace said, "Any news from your prodigal son?"

"I see him once in a while when he shows up at home," She said "I'd prefer if he didn't. He comes with different girls every time"

"That's nothing new."

"I hope I wouldn't be saying that regarding you after this situation."

"Highly unlikely," Jace said, "I've got more important things like work."

"Which I should let you get back to."

There was silence on the other end of the line as Jace waited for her to say 'goodbye' before hanging up.

"I really wish you'd have time to come see me. I'm bored all by myself in this huge house."

"I can't promise anything."

"I know," she said "Take care, Jace."

"You too, Charlotte."

"Don't trouble that pretty bodyguard of yours." Charlotte said before she hung up which left him smiling.

He snapped out of it when he heard a scream outside his office.

Outside his office, Heather tried to get past Ariana into Jace's office.

"Get the heck out of my way, you bitch!" Heather snapped at Ariana.

"I'd watch what I say if I were you." Ariana said.

"What are you going to do about it?" Heather asked, "You, like the rest of those slut, are just after his money."

And you are?
Ariana thought.

It was very easy for her to stay calm because she knew the kind of woman Heather was and that she was just putting all her insecurities on her just to feel good about herself.

"Heather?" Jace heard everything before he stepped out of his office. "Enough with your drama and I'd really appreciate it if you respected my employees."

Heather scoffed, looking horrified at what he'd told her to do. But then was quick to get over it.
"Jace, honey." She made a move to walk towards him but Ariana snatched her by the arm and held her back.

Heather glared at Ariana while Ariana just remained calm.

"Take. Your hands. Off me."

"Look, I've had it up to here with you." Ariana started ever so calmly, "I'm going count to five and you're going to get that skinny ass of yours out of here or I'm going to drag you out of here by your flawless hair and it's going to get messy. Your choice."

Jace almost smiled and he saw the look of disbelief in Heather's eyes.

"Ugh." Heather scoffed in disbelieve and dread.

Jace almost wanted to watch what happened next but he had to clear things with Heather before she was on her way.

"I'll take it from here, Green."

Ariana snapped her gaze at Jace and he almost choked on his words as his heart skipped a beat at her piercing green eyes. Ariana was perfectly calm before Jace had opened his mouth to talk. Did he seriously want to have a moment with Heather? She was the reason he'd fired Bridget and Ariana wasn't having any of it from her, at least not today.

Fuck. What's going on?
Jace wondered.

Something about seeing her all revved up lit a spark in him and his head was starting to conjure up images of what he wanted to do to her.

"No. Let me," Ariana finally said before she turned to Heather, "Time's up."

"What?" Heather seemed confused.

Before anyone could react, Ariana made her way towards the elevator holding Heather by her arm, as she ignored the screams and curses. She put her in the elevator and pushed the button for the ground floor before stepping back and smiling at her.

"Bye." Ariana waved at her, in a 'come here' gesture, dramatically.

Ariana made her way back down with Jace standing outside his office at the end of the hall, watching her and Bridget trying to cover up her smile at her desk.

Jace had his hands in his pocket as Ariana made her way towards his office.

Damn, she was something.

Ariana stopped next to him, turned away from him and waited for him to head back into his office before she sat back down. Jace stared at a lock of her hair that had escaped her bun while she'd dealt with Heather. Without thinking, he reached up and tucked it behind her ear. Ariana was caught off guard at that touch and the tingle that ran from her ear to her neck and down her spine. She inhaled sharply as she stared up at him.

What just happened?
Ariana asked herself as she looked into those grey eyes.

Her heart rate had gone up and it was not from dealing with Heather because that hadn't been a hassle. But this was...

What was this?

Jace was lost in her eyes and he wasn't thinking very clearly when his finger ran slowly from behind her ear down her jawline.

"I like when you get mad," Jace said, almost whispering.

He leaned forward, his mouth close to her ear.
"You make me come undone."

Ariana needed air in her lungs and her lips parted and inhaled sharply. Jace smiled when he heard her intake of breath but it also did something to him just hearing her crumbling before him but unable to feel her, hold her, as she did.

She was not as immune as she pretended to be and they both knew it.

Jace pulled away slowly as Ariana tried to shake off what just happened to her. As he looked at her, she drew a mask over her emotions that he'd gotten past just a second ago and at that moment, he made it his mission to crack her open. He wanted to get to know the woman behind that mask.

Not Green, not his bodyguard, not Agent Feilman. But Ariana.

Ariana, the woman he'd just heard a glimpse of. He wanted more than just a glimpse.

Jace took a step back and walked back into his office for the day leaving Ariana to deal with what had just happened.

Jace sat back in his chair, smiling.
Today wasn't as bad as it had started out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 466 54
×Book Three in the Reds Mafia Leader Series× "You're really going to do this?" "Yes. Remember what you said earlier... I am merciless. I do not forgi...
596 39 21
Everyone hits rock bottom at some point in time where the only possible way back up is do to whatever it takes. ***** Tha...
4.5K 155 51
An FBI agent who gets an opportunity to move to Italy to be an agent there. Of course she takes it right away. The job she loves in the country she l...
45.9K 2.7K 50
[Complete] A NEW enemies to lovers, office romance. 🔥 Rated R for mature sexual content and graphic language • 18+ *** Two rivaling company presiden...