Hearts Without Chains

By harry_june_waters

Josephine Marie Laken is a girl who just wants to be the perfect daughter to her parents. She craves to bring... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
Story Playlist:)
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
AN
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.

25.

173K 3.2K 1.4K
By harry_june_waters

~Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about~ Winston Chruchill (all I can think of is New Girl when I hear the name Winston aha!)

Harry-

On Saturday I sit on Daniels torn couch cushions, toying with a bottle of beer in my hand. It's five in the evening and I'm already drinking, trying to ignore Layla who sits on the arm of the couch beside me as she whines about shit I can't bother to listen to. This morning when my mother got home from work she tried to talk to me again, but I dismissed her in a not so gentlemanly way and left the house. I don't want to talk about it or think about it, so I decide to drink.

I tip the bottle back and down the rest of my beer, glad there is not a lot of people here so I don't have to hear a lot of talking and blaring music. It's just Daniel, Toby, Shelby, Trish, and Kody. Oh, and the annoying girl beside me. Sooner or later the fucktard Joey likes to call Tyler enters the house, with a blonde girl on his arm. I'm just glad it's not a certain brunette.

I sent her a text a few hours ago to ask what she was doing but she never answered. So that's why I resolved to coming here after my unanswered text, to drink away my anger and thoughts. I'm on my third beer, and am soon being stood in front of Daniels dining room table to play beer pong. And then, the bitterness of vodka burns down my throat as I take a shot with Layla. I feel numb when she puts her lips on my neck, and mumble a few profanities under my breath as I push her away from me. I stumble out of the kitchen, bumping the shoulders of a few people as I pass. I hear Shelby call me a name for spilling some of my vodka drink on her by accident, but could care less as I turn down the hallway.

My heart is beating at the kind of pace that tells me I'm drunk as hell, and I find that even in this state of mind I can't escape my problems, or thoughts for that matter. When I turn the knob of the closet door to the right of me, I shut myself inside the dark space to block everyone's voices out. When I stumble over something on the floor and almost bang my head on the door, I curse loudly as my drink spills a little in the process. Once I find the light switch, the closet brightens and I lean against the door. I take a drink from my cup while taking my phone from my pocket, scrambling for it when I drop it. The bright screen hurts my eyes as I scroll through recent calls.

"Hello?" Her voice is groggy, and this makes me pull back my phone to look at the time, the number across my phone screen still accompanied with no name. It's nine thirty now, and I guess she was sleeping.

"Harry?" I hear Joey ask again.

"Why did you not answer my text?" I ask instead of a hello, my voice slurring.

"I don't have anything from you." She tells me, and I lean my head back on the door. It must not have sent.

"I'm drunk." I grumble into my phone.

"I can tell." She says.

"It doesn't help." My eyes squeeze shut, and even though a headache is forming I down the rest of my drink.

"Doesn't help what?" She asks me. I laugh dryly.

"It doesn't make me stop thinking about it."

I slide down onto my ass, the arm that I don't hold my phone with on my knee, hand lying limply over my leg.

"Thinking about what?"

"My mum." I mumble.

"What about your mom?" She asks me apprehensively.

"Let me ask you something," I start.

"If you become a nurse will you work with cancer patients? Kids with cancer?" I wonder. The line is silent for a while.

"Yes." She tells me.

"Don't do it then, it's terrible to see."

I am unable to hear her answer as I set my phone down on the carpet, using both hands to pat my pockets in search of a cigarette. I still haven't had any marjiuana, and this is the only thing that can hold me off of it. I light a cigarette, letting smoke fill my lungs as I don't give a shit that I'm in someone else's house sat in a closet.

When I pick back up my phone and put it to my ear, I guess she is still waiting for me to announce my presence again.

"I'm in the closet." I speak, and hear shuffling on the other end of the phone.

"What closet?" She asks me.

"At Daniels house. The one where I kissed you for the first time."

My cheeks hollow as I wrap my lips around the cigarette again.

"Harry, I'm going to come get you, okay?" I hear her tell me, and shake my head until I realize she can't see me.

"No, don't." I grumble.

"Why?" She retaliates.

I squeeze my eyes shut again at the throbbing pain in my head.

"I want to drink more." I tell her, and try to stand while saying it, craving more alcohol in my system. Maybe enough to make myself crash, to sleep for a while. I want to sleep.

"You don't need more."

"I can have more if I want."

My arm gives out on me and I fall back down onto my ass, before letting out a huff and trying again. I lean against the door when I'm standing, and turn around to press my forehead to it.

"I'm coming to get you." Joey says.

I shake my head again weakly in disagreement, not bothering on speaking the gesture this time.

"I'm walking out my front door Harry, just stay put alright?" She asks me.

I hang up my phone with a huff, not wanting or needing her help. I think I put my phone back in my pocket, my hand which holds the cig dangling at my side. I take one more hit off it before rubbing the butt end of it on the heel of my shoe. I put it in my empty plastic cup and leave it there on the floor as I open the door, walking out into the hallway. When Daniel notices me walk into the living room, he offers me another beer that I don't need, but I take it.

Josephine-

My elbow is rested on the window seal as I drive, my right hand clutching the steering wheel as my headlights illuminate the road in front of me. I managed to get some jeans on in the process of hurrying out of the house, and grabbed my jacket off the hook by the door to replace my robe with. I can hardly remember how to get to Daniels house, and I take a few wrong turns before coming to a street I actually recognize. I can remember which house is his, and park away from it so my car doesn't get trapped by others.

I wrap my jacket around myself tighter, and purse my lips together as I see Tyler's truck across the street as well. I'm here for Harry, so I push him to the back of my mind. When I walk across the lawn water seeps through my slippers and I inwardly curse myself for not putting on different shoes. Nobody really notices when I open the front door, too immersed in conversation or sucking face. I peer down the hallway which I know the closet Harry spoke of is, and see it is opened and obviously unoccupied. So I journey further into the house, shrinking away from Daniel as I almost ran into his back.

"Look who it is!" He exclaims when he turns around.

I back away from him when he places a hand on my shoulder, and I can tell he is too drunk to handle himself so I just slip around him. When I spot Tyler sat on the couch in the living room with Kim on his lap I ignore it, and search for Harry instead. The last place to really look besides the bedrooms down the hall is the kitchen. So when I open the door and spot him in there it's no surprise. I'm glad that Layla is no where to be found at the moment as I close the door behind me.

Harrys eyes are fixated on the floor as he sits on a counter cluttered with bottles of alcohol and empty cups, and I wonder just how many weekends Daniel and his friends can do this.

Taking Harry in like this is difficult. He doesn't even notice my presence as he continues to stare at the floor, the beer bottle in his hands being held limply.

When I take it out of his hold and set it on the counter he looks up to me in a shock, before rubbing his eye sockets with his fists.

"Told you not to come." He slurs.

"I'm glad I did, though." I tell him as I move his hand away when he attempts to grab the beer bottle again.

"Go back home." He waves his hand at me, and I can see the gloss that covers his eyes that tells me he is completely and utterly drunk.

"Okay." I tell him softly.

"But come with me, yeah?" I ask him.

He looks up to me, and his back is hunched so his head does not hit the cupboards above him. I wrap my hand around his forearm, taking a good grip on it to encourage him off the counter.

"I want a smoke." He tells me.

"Once we are outside." I try to just get him to his feet, and when he does he almost topples us to the floor, his face being planted onto my shoulder as his weight on me makes us both stumble backwards.

But I right myself, and place a hand on the back of his head as he keeps it on my shoulder. I hear him take in a deep breath, his nose nuzzling into me before he lifts his head.

"Can I have a smoke now?" He asks me.

"Once we get outside." I repeat.

I hook an arm around his waist, clenching my jaw as he lets a great amount of his weight onto the support I give him. I push the door open to the kitchen with my back, and try to ignore when a few people look to us. There isn't many people here, a lot I know and some that I do not. Tyler definitely sees me now, because his eyes are glued to me as he looks over his shoulder from the couch.

I keep my jaw in a tight clench as Harrys feet shuffle on the floor beside me, making it impossible to be easy on me. When I see Tyler stand from the couch I try and move faster, only to be approached by him in seconds.

"What's going on?" He asks.

I ignore him, but Harry doesn't.

"Go away, you ass." He grumbles.

I pinch his side through his Tshirt, and he wears a small frown when he looks down to me.

"What was that for?" He asks me.

"Don't be mean." I mutter.

He laughs, and I roll my eyes as he mocks me in a higher pitched tone.

"This is what I was talking about, Jo." I hear Tyler say as I reach the front door.

I glance up to Harry who rests on me, and sigh as I struggle to open the door with his weight holding me against it. I'm completely surprised when Tyler links an arm around Harrys waist as I do, Harry mumbling swear words under his breath as Tyler opens the door for me. Everything is silent as we walk across the lawn, instead of Harrys useless struggles to push Tyler away from him.

"I've got it now." I tell him as we get to my car.

Tyler's lips are pursed as he nods his head.

"Think about this, Jo." He waves his hand towards the scene in front of him.

"Thank you, Tyler." I respond with instead of commenting on his last statement, getting another nod.

I'm left standing with Harry leaning against my car, and I fight the urge to be rough and just shove him into my car, and instead put a hand to his head so he doesn't hit it as he slumps into the passengers seat of my car.

"This thing is such shit." He reminds me when I start up the engine.

My house is the only place that I can think to take him. I don't know where his house is, and I doubt he has anywhere else to go. The ride back consists of Harry saying things I don't understand, and I begin to think about what he said on the phone to me instead.

"Harry?" I ask him, turning my head to the side for a brief second to look at him.

The side of his face presses against the headrest of the seat as he looks to me, raising his eyebrows at me.

"Does your mother have cancer?" I ask, but I think I already know the answer.

He chuckles, turning his head back straight.

"Yup." He says, before closing his eyes.

****

It was a struggle to lie him down onto the couch, and also a struggle to take his boots off of his feet when he kept pulling them away.

"Are you trying to get me naked?" He accuses as I take off his socks.

"It's just socks, Harry." I mutter, my eyes heavy and tired.

"Where's my jacket?" He asks me, turning onto his side to peer onto the floor below the couch, as if its there.

"You didn't have one when I got you." I tell him.

"Dammit." He curses.

"It's only a jacket." I tell him, crossing the living room to grab a blanket.

"But that's the one you wore."

When I look over to him it's as if he doesn't even know he said the words, his eyes squeezed closed and his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose. My heart warms as I place the blanket on his chest, and begin to start up the stairs to get him Advil when I hear him speak.

"Take these off, will you? Can't sleep in them." He tells me, gesturing to his pants.

My cheeks burn slightly, and I bite the inside of my cheek.

"You do it while I get you medicine." I tell him, and walk up the stairs before I can hear him complain about it.

Once retrieving them I go back down, and actually find that he succeeded in getting his jeans off, as well as his Tshirt. He's sprawled on his back, the blanket I gave him on the floor. I get a glass of water, and sit beside him on the couch as I nudge his shoulder gently. He peeks an eye open, and sits up to take the medicine when I tell him to.

"I never got that smoke." He remembers.

"Too bad." I push down on his shoulder for him to lie down again, his skin warm and soft, yet hard beneath by touch.

"Feisty." He grumbles.

I stand, and decide to try and not pay attention to his revealed skin. Even though I've seen him like this at the pool, it's different now. Boxers and all.

"Go to sleep, okay?" I ask him.

He nods his head, and his arms go above his head as he relaxes.

"Give me a kiss." He responds.

I'm surprised by his admittance of wanting one, and when I lean down and push his hair off his forehead to press my lips there, I see a faint trace of a smile on his face before I leave him, going upstairs and flicking off the lights in the process.

Comment your thoughts! :D

Sorry for updating so much lol

I know it was short, but a lot happened, right? Kinda? Haha ily guys

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 55 24
After another meaningless heartbreak, Lola gives up with guys. She decides it's just not worth it, and she has college to take up her mind anyways. H...
170K 3.4K 34
'It's a dangerous place to leave a woman feeling unloved, it won't take her long to realise she doesn't need you' Nikita Droit, the schools carefree...
3.7K 21 14
"Harry?" I asked as we sat together in the moonlight. "Yes, love?" "We're going to college next year. What will happen--to us?" "It doesn't matter. A...
17.2K 933 57
Anna had her story down to a science, parents that lived in Paris, a trust that unlocked when she graduated college, the lifestyle everyone wanted an...