Burning Castles | ✓

By cheryl-is-not-here

∞ A Wattpad Featured Story on 17 January 2018 ∞ "There are two sides of the same coin." In a dystopian socie... More

Information to Know & Excerpt
Index
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Plans
Chapter 2 - Capture
Chapter 3 - Soulmate
Chapter 4 - Decisions
Chapter 5 - Brother
Chapter 6 - Aftermath
Chapter 7 - Pulse
Chapter 8 - Burn
Chapter 9 - Answers
Chapter 10 - Message
Chapter 11 - Meeting
Chapter 13 - Lessons
Chapter 14 - Heart
Chapter 15 - Suspicions
Chapter 16 - Influence
Chapter 17 - Order
Chapter 18 - Touch
Chapter 19 - Siblings
Chapter 20 - Izla
Chapter 21 - Closer
Chapter 22 - Confusion
Chapter 23 - Reality
Chapter 24 - Skin
Chapter 25 - Trust
Chapter 26 - Empty
Chapter 27 - Adrenaline
Chapter 28 - Deals
Chapter 29 - Impasse
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 12 - Naivety

20.5K 1K 509
By cheryl-is-not-here

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 12 - Naviety | ∞

Rebellion Lands

"Stop that," he barked and she shot him a narrowed glare.

"Grow up, you have to move your arm to get the muscles stretched," she retorted and Rhydderch shot her a withering glare that would have made anyone cower but she met his expression with an angry one.

He huffed and a muscle in his jaw ticked but she ignored him. He was acting ridiculously as if he was a child and she wouldn't have it.

"Move your arm again," she instructed and he did so, jaw clenching as the sore muscles pulled. "Your arm is recovering at a good pace," she commented and removed the bandage. "Just stay away from any strenuous activity that could cause your arm to become worse."

"I know, this isn't the first injury I've gotten," he replied dryly and she shot him another irritated glare before turning away to dispose of the bandage.

It has been about three days since the incident and well, everyone was tense. The meeting hadn't gone well and everyone was waiting for sudden retaliation but so far, none had came.Darius had taken it as a sign that they should attack first but Rhydderch had resisted. Circe would expect it and he wasn't exactly willing to lead everyone into a trap.

Speaking about Circe...

She whirled around and fixed Rhydderch with a hard stare. "Were you actually serious about that ten-year-old child?"

He shot her an unimpressed glance before turning his attention back to adjusting his arm. "No, children are off limits no matter what. Did you really think I would have killed a child?"

She relaxed slightly, feeling a sense of relief bloom. She really didn't like the idea of her soulmate being someone who would have no hesitation in killing a child.

"No, I was just checking," she replied shortly.

"Adrastea, if you want to lie, don't learn it from your brother," Rhydderch commented lightly and she rolled her eyes at the jibe against Edmond.

"I didn't say that I thought you would do it, I just thought that you would entertain the idea," she replied lamely, realising how ridiculous her explanation was.

Fine, she really did think that Rhydderch would have done so.

"Liar," he pointed out before shrugging. "The kid is having a worry free life in Vonsworth. He's being looked after," he said seriously as he stood up from the bench.

"In Vonsworth?" she echoed and narrowed her eyes. "You're using him as leverage, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"He's not a bargaining chip in a game! He's an actual living human!" she exclaimed. "A child!"

Rhydderch arched a brow. "Nothing will happen to him. I will make sure of it. The men in charge of the two cities we have taken over have sworn fealty to me."

Adrastea pursed her lips, somewhat assured but pressed on. "And how sure are you that these men of yours will obey you? You're not there physically with them. In fact, you're miles away from those cities."

A shark-like smile appeared on his face.

"You have leverage over them as well," she breathed out as realisation kicked in and Rhydderch shrugged casually, the movement looking marginally odd due to his injured arm. "Yes, but I won't use it unless absolutely necessary. These men would have been the actual rulers if their ancestors haven't been thrown off."

"Oh," she replied, mind digesting this little tidbit.

"You shouldn't worry about the boy. The only reason why Circe hadn't attacked yet is due to worry of his well-being. I'm just allowing her to think that."

Adrastea nodded. That, she could accept. She had known from the very first day that Rhydderch was gifted. Gifted in mind games, manipulation and just good at getting people to do what he wanted.

"If your father hadn't been killed, he would have been one of these men. The Bones family was quite prominent and influential back in the past," Rhydderch continued and she glanced away.

"I know, that's what Edmond talks mostly talks about now," she answered.

He cocked an eyebrow, "Yes, speaking about Edmond, how is your sibling relationship like with him?"

She lowered her eyes onto the ground.

Many would have called her foolish for hoping that she would have a great relationship with her brother - the only remaining member of her family. A relationship that could be likened to the one that Valia and Vyctor shared.

Unfortunately, people changed and the boy that she knew as her brother was gone.

Edmond was someone she didn't entirely know.

He always talked about revenge and hatred and negative things and often, she was drained. He was also curt with her, as if envious of her sudden rise in ranks in the rebellion where he was at the bottom of the ladder.

When he spoke to her, it was short and a tinged with a tiny bit of resentment. It was as if he hadn't forgiven her for the time where she hadn't sided with him against Rhydderch when they had conquered Vonsworth.

"It's...alright," she said softly, eyes focusing on a distant spot on the wall of the tent.

It didn't take a genius to know that Adrastea was affected by the distance put by her brother. Hence, he chose not to make anymore cutting remarks. He eyed her warily, noting the withdrawn expression on her face.

"That's good to hear," he said before checking to see if the leather band on his arm was properly covering the soul mate mark. "If you're not busy this afternoon, you could join us. Darius had proposed another plan and it would be most ideal if we could have your input."

His eyes lingered on her.

Things had changed between them.

She was no longer cautious or wary around him, speaking her mind and calling him out for his lack of regard for people. The act was refreshing and he liked hearing her opinions. In turn, he wasn't that closed off emotionally or mentally when they were alone.

He had been surprised she had thrown herself into his arms when he came back from the clearing. He hadn't known that she was so affected by him or attached when he had been injured and left behind.

Having her as his wasn't that bad a thought anymore. The memory of her lips against his was pure heaven. The way she responded hadn't been too bad either.

Rhydderch wondered if she would let him kiss her again.

Adrastea blinked, startled and surprised by his words. Before she could respond, he left and she let the importance of his words sink in.

The fact that he wanted her opinion during the meeting and for her to be present spoke volumes.

A soft smile graced her lips at that.

Like it or not, whatever thing that was between her and Rhydderch was progressing positively and to be honest, she didn't mind.

And well, to be a little stubborn, she would not attend the meeting. She had other pressing matters to attend to. Mainly, she had to improve the cure to make the patient recover quicker. Now that people were fighting on a regular basis and were getting injured she had to speed up the healing process.

Smirking at the fact that Rhydderch would be a little irritated that she wouldn't be showing up, she got to work.

* * *

It was a little late in the evening. The sky was dark, the sun had set a long time ago. And still, she was working feverishly in her tent. Well, it wasn't too bad, she had company the entire time.

"What about this?"

Adrastea looked up to see Lyla gesturing to forceps in one of the medical trays left on a nearby table and she smiled indulgently.

"Those are forceps and they are extremely handy in taking out things with precision."

"Ohh."

Over the past few months, the young girl had taken a shine to her and was learning on how to be a healer. Already, Adrastea looked to her as an older sister would.

"What about this?"

"Those are special kind of bandages that would help prevent bleeding from wounds," she answered patiently as she screwed a jar filled with herbs shut.

"Okay."

This carried on for a few more minutes before she sent Lyla to bed in the other tents. It was getting late and she didn't want the young girl to be out and about during this time.

Sure, there were guards patrolling the area but one could never be too careful.

Without Lyla to interrupt, she hadn't realised how long she had been working.

She hadn't known how late it was but a sudden shuffling sound made her break concentration and she set her pen down and stretched from her hunched position over the table.

The sudden feeling of unease filled her and she could a prickling sensation on her spine as the hair on her neck stood. Warily, she slowly reached for the small dagger she always kept near, careful to not make any sudden movements.

Suddenly, the feel of someone standing directly behind her geared her into action. She lunged for the dagger the exact same time a gloved hand clawed into her arm.

Hissing in pain, she curled her hands around the handle of the dagger just as her assailant gripped onto her shoulder, fingers harshly digging into her skin as the other reached for a gleaming bone white knife.

Her eyes widened in horror and with the sudden realisation that she could actually die right here and now, she reached forward and sank her teeth as hard as she could into her assailant's forearm, causing the hand gripping onto her to let go and a grunt to be heard.

Taking the opportunity, she scrambled away, her grip on the dagger hard until her knuckles were turning white from the immense pressure being exerted.

Her assailant was covered in black from top to toe. Tall and broad shouldered, only his eyes could be seen. Commanding all the nerves in her body, she held the dagger with a steady hand as she faced the man.

Damn the exit for being behind the man!

The man cocked his head as he regarded her and she swallowed harshly just as he lunged once more towards her.

Being petite, she had the advantage of moving faster and at the last possible moment, before the man could grab her, she darted away and swung the dagger into his direction.

The feel of the blade slicing across flesh would always be imprinted into her mind.

The sound of a table crashing to the ground resounded around the tent which was accompanied by a snarl sounded as blood welled from the wound on his arm and without showing any more signs of pain or hesitation, he pounced. This time, she was too slow and he pinned her to the ground roughly, the side of her head hitting the ground, causing her vision to black out for a few milliseconds.

Once her vision was back, she realised that she couldn't move with the man's arm across her neck. The dagger she had been holding was scattered a few centimeters from her hands.

The man stared down at her, no emotion showing in his eyes as he looked at her, hand poised with the blade as he got ready to kill her.

Desperately, she inhaled and kicked her feet wildly as she struggled. Her fingers were brushing the edge of the dagger and if she could just reach it, she would be able to pick it and slash it across the man's face.

Abruptly, her knee hit something and the man groaned in pain and it was then she realised that she had kneed him in the gut. Sensing the short window of opportunity she had, she kneed him in the same spot but with more strength and scrambled away.

Grabbing the dagger, she strengthened her resolve to fight till her last dying breath. She was not going to die a coward, no. If she was going to die, she might as well give it her best shot.

Having had enough, the man grabbed a pistol from his waist and her eyes widened in alarm. That had not been part of the equation.

Bracing herself to get shot, she tensed as he released the safety of the gun and-

The sound of people barging into the tent interrupted them and she sagged in relief as men apprehended the assailant and she could barely hear anyone until the sight of Rhydderch's furious expression entered her vision.

"Are you alright?" he demanded roughly, eyes scanning her appearance. Those blue orbs lingering on the bruises on her neck and arms with the addition of a cut on her forearm and the bleeding wound on the side of her head.

"I'm okay," she answered bravely, eyes meeting his before she sagged against him. The adrenaline pumping in her veins was gone and now that her mind knew she was safe, she could feel exhaustion creeping in along with the pain of her injuries.

Rhydderch didn't answer but swept her up in his arms as he carried her out of the tent.

The cold air brought some relief to her, making her brain slow down but even then, she could feel herself losing consciousness. The scent of her blood dripping from the wound on her temple didn't help either.

"...safe..."

"...captive...lucky that we noticed..."

"....dead...brave fight...too bad..."

Rhydderch gently lowered her down onto a bed and she could see the torrent of emotions all over his face as he looked at her. "I'm alright," she whispered, fingers curling into his shirt.

"I know," he replied softly and with his fingers brushing her hair away from her face, she closed her eyes.

* * *

"...a few bruises and cuts on her arms and a minor injury on her head that caused the concussion..."

Adrastea blinked steadily, getting used to the bright light and she reached for the slightly throbbing area of her head to only touch a gauzy material there.

"You're awake."

She looked up to see Rhydderch staring at her carefully, eyes darting over her.

"How long has it been?" she asked, it felt like she had been unconscious for days since the attack and honestly, she felt like death.

"Not that long," he answered and gave a curt nod to another healer standing inconspicuously in the corner who promptly left soon after. "You've just been unconscious for a day. Nothing more."

"Oh." She swallowed and sat up slowly. Her head was pounding and gingerly, she pressed the tips of her fingers against the wound to feel a dull ache appear. "What has happened since then? Is the man still alive?"

Blue eyes flashed and Rhydderch shrugged but she could tell he was still on edge. "Not for long. He'll be executed tonight."

"How? Who sent him?"

"Circe. We interrogated him very well. The tattoo of the compass on his wrist was proof as well," Rhydderch replied, his eyes lingering on the bandage on her head.

All Valiants serving had the sigil of the cities' on their wrist. The Sage Cliff's sigil was a compass, Vonsworth's had been a bear, Deserra's a viper while the Carvenslands had been bones. Vallisrem's had been a raven.

"I would like to see him," she asked hesitantly and Rhydderch nodded. "Of course, Jarek can bring you. You're overseeing his execution tonight."

She frowned, mouth gaping. "What do you mean I'm overseeing his execution? I'm not going to kill him," she protested, eyes narrowing quickly.

"Yes, you are. You just have to light the wood."

Her stomach roiled and she could feel herself pale. "Fire? No! I can't. You can't! I forbid it"

Rhydderch arched an eyebrow. "We will. Tonight," he said calmly as if he was discussing the state of the weather instead of lighting a man on fire.

"No! I refuse!" she snapped and Rhydderch eyed her before standing. "You can get Jarek to bring you to the cells if you wish. The healers have said that you're alright."

She didn't know what bothered her more. The fact that he didn't have any qualms of lighting someone on fire or the fact that he was already leaving without showing any signs of hearing her refusal.

Quickly she stood up and gripped the headboard as dizziness claimed her. A little part of her enjoyed the annoyed expression on her soulmate's face as she ignored his offered hand to steady her. Without sparing him a second glance, she quickly stalked out of the tent.

In just a few minutes, she was in the holding cells, Jarek behind her as she stood in front of the man who attempted to kill her the day before.

Surprisingly, her attacker was young. He seemed to be about a few years older than her. He stared at her coolly, without remorse.

"Why?"

"I had to," he replied shortly before getting to his feet. "My Regnant heard that the Rebellion leader had a soulmate who was skillful in healing those who were poisoned with Bloodberries."

Beside her, Jarek frowned. "You didn't mention this when we interrogated you."

Her attacker shrugged. "Does it really matter? You know now."

Adrastea chewed on her lower lip as the man turned to her. "I'll just to like you to know that I'm sorry for your injuries and to congratulate you on putting a good fight. If circumstances were different, I wouldn't have gone after you but the lives of my family were at stake."

This got her attention.

"Your family?"

The man slumped and rubbed his face with his hands. "My sister and my mother. I don't kill women but they were being threatened and I would do anything for them. My sister is just five years old and my mother is ill. I'm sorry."

A large breath whooshed out of her lungs and she didn't want to think that in just a few hours, this man would be burned alive for his actions to protect his family. Her heart went out to him and she could feel tears prickling at the corner of her eyes.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, her hand wrapping around the bars of the cell. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. I made my grave and I expect to lie in it. At least I know that my family would be safe," he said quietly.

She inhaled sharply and turned around to Jarek who immediately began shaking his head, a firm expression on his face. "No."

She gritted her teeth before quickly stalking out of the holding cells.

"Why not? You heard what he said!" she demanded and Jarek shook his head. "People always have choices. He made his."

"You sound exactly like Rhydderch," she glared and Jarek shrugged. "Because this is something that we both agree on. Set him free and our enemies would think we have gotten weak. Execute him and our enemies, potential or not would know that we are not just playing around, but an actual threat."

She shook her head, fists clenched. "He was just protecting his family," she said softly, eyes pleading. "I would do the same for Edmond."

At that Jarek snorted and rolled his eyes. "Would you really?"

"Yes and I would do the same for you or Rhydderch," she added and Jarek softened.

"I understand the situation but again, we can't just let him go. Not with everything that is going on right now," he explained gently but firmly. "Maybe you can try speaking to Rhydderch."

"Like that will have any difference," she replied, brows furrowed.

And true enough, there wasn't. Why couldn't they understand that showing mercy and compassion wasn't a weakness but a necessity? It showed to everyone that they weren't carbon copies of the oppressive leaders of the Five cities. The rebellion was supposed to be making a difference and how can they do so when they were burning their enemies up?

"No."

"Why not? He had no choice!"

"You are just proving my point that you are ridiculously naïve. Giving this man mercy would do nothing for us. He killed two of our guards, wounded a few more men and he attempted to slice your neck and you want to show him compassion?"

Rhydderch was incredulous but one couldn't miss the sight of his eyes turning darker with rage.

"Is it really wrong to show mercy and compassion to someone who was doing what he could to protect his loved ones?" she said softly, eyes trying to plead with him.

"He just tried to kill you," Rhydderch barked. "What kind of mercy and compassion do you want to give him?"

"It wasn't his fault! He was just protecting his own family!" She finally retorted, eyes flashing.He sneered and stared at her with disdain. "I could tell you the exact same thing and you would believe it. People who have fucked up would do or say anything to save their own skin. This shows how ignorant you are!"

She clenched her jaw and shook her head. "No, it just shows how cold you are. Inside and out."

She was running out of time. Her attacker had a few more minutes before he was going to die but speaking up and pleading for him was not helping.

"Please," she begged. "I can't let him die because of this."

"You can't but I can," he replied coldly, his control of his emotions was weakening and she could see it.

"Why?" She demanded hotly. "Why are you so fixated on getting rid of everyone who crossed you?!"

"Because he almost took you away from me!"

Stunned, Adrastea blinked and gaped at him but before she could do anything, Rhydderch glared at her before storming out of his office.

Realising that he was off to carry out the execution, she pushed his words out of her head and scrambled to her feet before running after him just in time to see a wooden stand being erected. And in the night, everything seemed more gloomy with the small light given from torches held around the camp.

No, she could not let that happen.

Turning towards the direction of the holding cells, she sprinted over and somehow, she was lucky enough to not be noticed as she unlocked the cell her attacker was in.

"Hurry," she hissed at the man who blinked at her in shock and surprise. "They're going to execute you in a few minutes if you don't get a move on!"

Without needing more encouragement, the man geared into action and disappeared after turning a corner once they were out of the cells.

Just as she was turning away, she was met with the sight of Rhydderch glaring furiously at her. "You let him go didn't you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said, her chin tilted defiantly.

Rhydderch clenched his jaw before his eyes focused on something behind her. "Now, I believe you do."

She turned around and was met with the sight of her attacker holding onto a terrified Lyla. Immediately, her heart dropped into the bottom of her stomach and she turned horrified eyes to him.

"Get your men to allow me to leave safely and alive and this little cherub would be alright," he said calmly, eyes gleaming with wicked intent if they didn't follow through with his demands.

"Rhydderch, please," she faced and begged but he wasn't looking at her. "Let the girl go first and we'll promise you safe passage," he counter offered and she wrung her hands anxiously into the hem of her blouse.

How could she not have seen this happening? How could have things backfired so spectacularly?

"And let my leverage go? I don't think so. I'm not repeating myself again. I'm going to count down from three and if you don't listen, I'll snap her little neck."

"Why?" she blurted out and took a step forward. "I fought for you."

The man sneered and gripped onto Lyla's neck warningly and the young girl whimpered, eyes brimming with terrified tears.

"Then you're ignorant and stupid." His hands tightened on her neck. "Three."

She turned wide frightened eyes to Rhydderch who seemed to be contemplating something. "Rhydderch, please. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you."

He regarded her coldly and she felt lead sink into her bones.
"Two."

"One-"

"Alright, we concede to your demands," Rhydderch interrupting coldly, eyes glinting with resentment and she trembled anxiously.

Crack

It was as if time stood still as Lyla crumpled to the ground, her head twisted at an unnatural angle and Adrastea could feel herself screaming while an arrow lodged itself into the man's thigh.

Everything else that had happened after didn't register in her mind as Adrastea sank into the ground on her knees, eyes fixed on Lyla's wide eyes that were staring into nothingness.

* * *

A/N: I updated again in a week! To be honest guys, I don't even know what I'm doing with this story anymore and I really need to know from you all if this is going alright? Just let me know what you think? I just need to know I'm not fucking this up. :/ Anyway, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!

Chapter dedicated to @meluvdivergent :) <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 68.9K 76
on the surface, the two couldn't have been more different. he was cruel, arrogant, and cold; she was quiet, mellow, and kind. however, the two stude...
1.3K 32 10
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...
38.8K 1.2K 44
Well doesn't everyone want to meet their soulmate, that one person who is made just for them... Crystal has always believed in the term 'soulmates'...
UNGIFTED By Naara

Science Fiction

450 33 32
Gifts and soulmates were common currency in Donumdell. From a very young age, that was all its citizens were instilled with. And each and every one o...