Beauty in Disguise #wattys2018

By CPearl89

"Who are you?" the guy asked. "Why don't you look a littler closer?" I asked and his eyes immediately widened... More

Cast of Beauty in Disguise
Chapter 1: Huntress and Falcon
Chapter 2: You Have A Better Backstory Than Me
Chapter 3: The Tests...No Biggie
Chapter 4: You Don't Know Who I Really Am
Chapter 5: You Are My Rock
Chapter 6: Shadowing, More Like Stalking
Chapter 7: The Strength I Never Had
Chapter 8: He Is Scared Of Huntress
Chapter 10: I Have to Seem Less Experienced
Chapter 11: I Like to Be the First
Chapter 12: Relationship Goals
Chapter 13: You Are A Jerk
Chapter 14: I Can Be Odd and Anti-social
Chapter 15: The Prank King

Chapter 9: Not Everyone Is Open-Minded

1.1K 39 1
By CPearl89

"Spill all the juicy deets girl!" Kathleen exclaimed as I entered her room. Jase and Eric decided to catch up by themselves, so we chose to do a girl's night.

"What do you want to know?" I asked and added, "-that is not exactly classified."

"Tell me about the Chief's son," Kathleen said while grabbing some pillows to rest her arms on.

"Well, Will can sometimes be cold. He is probably colder than his father," I started and Kathleen nodded slowly, "He is cute though, but I am still kind of suspicious of him."

"Is it about the weapons and plans thing?" she asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know. I honestly haven't found anything that shows that they are planning something. Maybe they are hiding it and I haven't found it. I don't know," I said putting it in a vague way.

"Don't worry girl, you will get there. Honestly Dylan, trust your gut. If you truly believe that they are good people, go with it. If you don't believe that they are good people, go with that," Kathleen explained and I smiled at her.

"Thanks Kathy, you always know what to say," I said, "Alright, enough of all the sad and serious stuff. Let's talk about something fun. Something that will take my mind off of my mission for the night."

"Like what?" Kathleen asked, "You know that I don't have a lot of good ideas sometimes."

"Fine, tell me about work. You seem to always have good stories from there," I said with a smile and Kathleen chuckled.

"Well today, I actually helped a woman deliver her baby and like others, it was beautiful. Her husband broke into tears of joy and it was such a sweet moment between the parents. This is the woman's first child and they are such a beautiful couple. I actually talked to the woman and kept her company while she was in the hospital," Kathleen said and I smiled to myself.

"That is why you are meant to be a nurse Kathleen. You have such a calm and warm demeanor, unlike me," I said and Kathleen chuckled.

"Who cares though? No matter what, you are my little sister. You are you just the way you are," Kathleen chirped and I laughed.

"What you are saying is so cliché," I commented and Kathleen shrugged.

"It may be cliché, but it's true," she said, "Speaking about sisters. Has your real older sister contacted you?"

"Not in a couple of months. I am pretty sure that I would have told you if she did," I said and Kathleen shrugged.

"Just asking. You know that I like to check up on you," Kathleen said, "But anyways, we should go out shopping together soon."

"I would love to, but I am going to have to see because the mission has been taking up a lot of my time lately. Even though I haven't gotten anything!" I exclaimed in frustration and Kathleen patted my back.

"Alright chill, you will get your answer, but remember, no talking about serious things," Kathleen reminded me and I sighed.

"It's just been on my mind these past couple of days," I said and Kathleen nodded with an understanding expression.

"I know. That is why you need this. How about we watch a chick flick for the time being?" Kathleen suggested and I laughed.

"Or an action movie," I said and Kathleen shook her head.

"A chick flick. Watching an action movie sometimes is watching your own life," she said and I rolled my eyes. 

***

"I am going to miss you!" Kathleen exclaimed, as Jase and I were getting ready to go back to the crew.

"We will miss you guys," I said and Eric winked at me, "We will see you guys soon."

"And we are looking forward to it," Eric said and I smiled.

"Let's go Jase, we have a long day ahead of us," I said exiting the apartment, "Full of lies, drama, and suspicion."

"Those words basically sum up all our missions," Jase said as I sat down on my motorcycle.

"You know that I am really lucky to have you as my partner and friend?" I asked and Jase chuckled.

"I should be saying the same about you Dylan," Jase said and we both took off. As we drove to the house, I couldn't help but wonder, what I would have done with my life if I hadn't joined the Organization. Every minute I spent with Kathleen and Eric, I could always see the liveliness in their eyes and their spirits. Was I so naïve and desperate that I took the first opportunity that I got? I guess that I was so determined to go into Criminal Justice and Investigation that I didn't see how much this job would rip my spirit out. At my age, I am supposed to be out living my life to the fullest, but now I am weighed down with the darkness in this world. No matter what, I want to help people, but I think that I have been doing more harm than good. Jase and I pulled into the "parking spaces" and walked into the house. I saw everyone gathering around in the garage, so we joined them.

"Alright everyone, settle down. Will, Liam, and I have finalized our plan to attack the Sniper Gang. They have caused enough damage to our crew, so it is time to do something about it. Our plan is to split up into multiply teams and attack at different places of their warehouse front on. Why are we attacking front on? We are showing them that we are not afraid and will face them head on. Will, Liam, and I will be leading our own teams to different parts of the warehouse. Other leaders will be Rory, Wynn, and Ryder. I will speak to you in private if I would like for you to take part in this attack. Thank you," the Chief said before stepping off the table. I guess I made a face and Jase must have noticed it and laughed.

"What is on your mind Dyl?" Jase asked and I shrugged.

"The plan seems kind of risky honestly. I don't think they have any backup plans and they are some loopholes," I said and a crew member, who I think is Wynn, scoffed.

"Thanks for your input, but I think the plan is perfectly fine," Wynn said with an obvious attitude in his tone, "Besides newbie, let the pros handle this." I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"I can see that not everyone is open minded," I said and Wynn rolled his eyes before walking away.

"It's not that we are not open minded, we just have more experience that you two," another crew member interjected.

"How do-," I snapped before Jase pulled me back.

"Keep it together Dylan, don't lose your cool. Don't ruin our cover," Jase whisper yelled at me and I took a deep breath.

"Yeah, at least he is the reasonable one. Make sure that you keep her in line," Wynn said and I bit my tongue to keep me from snapping back.

"Just because you got your jacket right away, doesn't mean that we will automatically respect you the way we respect others," a guy explained. I opened my mouth to try to say something, but Jase squeezed my hand.

"Dylan," Jase warned me and I was about to fire a glance, but held myself back. I rather stay classy than play dirty. I crossed my arms and stared them down.

"Come on Wynn, Chief wants you to prepare for the trip," Liam said breaking the tension between us.

"Alright Liam," Wynn said and left the room along with some other guys.

"I prepared everything you needed," a guy named Ryder said to Liam.

"Thanks Ryder, I will do some routine checks before we leave," Liam said and before he left, he gave me a sympathetic smile. I took a deep breath and looked to the ground and felt Jase let go of my hand.

"Dylan right?" Ryder asked and I nodded, "So what's your opinion on the plan?"

"What?" I asked and Ryder chuckled.

"I heard what you said about how some people are not open minded. I want to prove you wrong," Ryder said, "Besides, it's always good to hear different perspectives."

"I agree," Rory said as he walked up to us.

"Alright, I think that you guys are underestimating the Sniper Gang. I know that I don't know as much as you guys because I am a 'newbie', but from what I heard, the Sniper Gang can be sneaky people," I said and Ryder gave me a confused look.

"We want to attack face to face to show that we don't want to play any games," Ryder said and I nodded.

"Is there anything wrong with attacking face to face?" Rory asked.

"There is no problem with it, but you guys should at least have some kind of backup plan because I am positive that the Snipers would have something up their sleeve," I said and sighed, "But maybe I don't know. Just keep an eye out okay?"

"We will, thank you Dylan," Ryder said before checking the time on his watch, "I got to go."

"Good luck," I said and Ryder nodded in appreciation.

"Good luck Rory," Jase said and Rory gave Jase a smile before leaving.

"He is cool," Jase said and I turned to him.

"Yeah, thanks for holding me back. I was about to blow our cover," I whispered and Jase nodded.

"That's what partners are for," Jase said and I smiled at him.

"Well now I guess all we can do wait and see," I said and Jase nodded.

"Hey, can I hang with you guys?" Kara asked as she entered the room.

"Of course Kara," I said and Kara laughed nervously.

"I am always so anxious when they go on these types of attacks," Kara said, "But they usually come back."

"Yeah..." I said trailing off.

"Is there a problem?" Kara asked clearly getting worried.

"It's just, I have some bad feelings about their plan, but I don't know," I said, "Let's just hope for the best."

"Yeah," Kara said softly and I instantly felt guilt for worrying Kara. On the other hand, I rather have her aware so maybe she could point out flaws in the future as well. I feel like she trusts her brother and her father so much that she doesn't speak up a lot.

*******************************************************

GIF of Phoebe Tonkin (Dylan)

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter of Beauty in Disguise. For those who are waiting on the sequel to Endless Fighting, I am indeed planning the plot right now. Hopefully I will get more time and get to start writing the story. Anyways, remember to...

Vote

Comment

Share

Follow

Instagram: cpearl89.writer

Episode: CPearl

Have a great day/night fighters!

-C

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.5K 1.3K 45
๐Ÿ“–Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading list๐Ÿ“– Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Identity" *** "What are you running away from...
42.2K 1.6K 62
"I already killed your mother, Cam." As the words left my enemy's mouth like a mocking sneer, I growled under my breath at the mention of my old name...
2.1M 59.3K 30
Hailey Elizabeth White is the school's nerd. She gets picked on and teased because of how she dresses. She wears baggy jeans, giant sweatshirts that...
2.5M 112K 50
โ A sniper doesn't always need a partner, they just need someone to give the signal. โž Going solo gave you a lot to ponder on, especially given a mis...