The Broken Families | Draco M...

By xonceuponatimex

It's been years since the famous Potter twins defeated Voldemort and won the Second Wizarding War. In between... More

Soundtrack
Chapter 1 ~ The Next Generation
Chapter 2 ~ Updates from Albus and Scorpius
Chapter 3 ~ Happy Twentieth Anniversary!
Chapter 4 ~ Aunt Max's Advice
Chapter 5 ~ Are We Bad Parents?
Chapter 6 ~ Confronted by Amos Diggory
Chapter 7 ~ Heartfelt Talks and Scary Dreams
Chapter 8 ~ A Heated Meeting and Argument
Chapter 9 ~ New Problems
Chapter 10 ~ Reminiscing, Dreaming, and Searching
Chapter 11 ~ Going Back in Time
Chapter 12 ~ Separate Ways
Chapter 13 ~ New Explanations and Keeping Secrets
Chapter 14 ~ Feeling Lonely
Chapter 15 ~ Just Like Old Times
Chapter 16 ~ Fixing Things
Chapter 17 ~ Going Back in Time (Again)
Chapter 19 ~ Help from Old Allies
Chapter 20 ~ World Gone Mad
Chapter 21 ~ The Start of Something Horrible
Chapter 22 ~ Meetings and Feelings
Chapter 23 ~ Too Much for Everyone
Chapter 24 ~ One Final Adventure
Chapter 25 ~ Inside St. Jerome's Church
Chapter 26 ~ The Fight
Chapter 27 ~ Making Up
Epilogue
The Silver Trio
Author's Note

Chapter 18 ~ Another Timeline

2.7K 101 33
By xonceuponatimex

Scorpius' POV

Three days later, Professor Umbridge told me to come see her after classes were over. So, after classes, I went straight to her office. This was all beginning to freak me out a bit. Everything was even worse than before. However, when I got up to her office, I stayed calm, but still alert.

"Thank you so much for coming to see me, Scorpius," she said.

"You're welcome, Headmistress," I replied.

"Scorpius, I've thought for a long time that you have Head Boy potential, as you know. Pure-blooded, a natural leader, a wonderful athlete..."

"Athlete?" I repeated, widening my eyes.

She giggled a bit. "No need to be modest, Scorpius. I've seen you on the Quidditch pitch. You are the best Seeker Slytherin House has had in a long time. You are a valued student. You are valued by the faculty and especially by me. I've positively glowed about you in dispatches to the Augurey. Our work together flushing out more dilettante students has made this school a safer and purer place."

"Has it?" I asked. Albus and I really messed up big time.

Professor Umbridge eyed me suspiciously. "You know, in the three days since I found you in the Black Lake on Voldemort Day, you've become odder and odder. In particular, this sudden obsession with Harry and Maxine Potter--"

"I don't--"

"--questioning everyone you can about the Battle of Hogwarts. How and why the Potter twins died. There's also this ludicrous fascination with Cedric Diggory. Scorpius, we've checked you for hexes and curses and there are none that we can see. So I'm asking if there is anything I can do to restore you to what you were..."

I quickly shook my head. "No. No, I'm fine. Consider me restored. Temporary aberration. That's all."

The woman gave me a creepy smile. "So we can continue our work together?"

"We can," I said.

"Good." She placed her hand to her heart, bringing up the other hand so that her wrists were touching. "For Voldemort and Valor."

Confused, I tried to mimic what she was doing. "For...um...yes, what you just said."

*******

"Hey, Scorpion King!" Karl Jenkins shouted as I entered the corridor. He gave me a high five, which really hurt.

"We're still on for tomorrow night, right?" Yann Fredericks asked from behind me.

"Because we are ready to spill some proper Mudblood guts," Karl added, smirking.

"Uh...you are?" I asked, not knowing what the hell they were talking about.

"Scorpius."

I turned around and widened my eyes in confusion. "Polly?"

Polly Chapman was standing there, then she huffed a sigh. "Shall we cut to it? I know everyone is waiting to know who you're going to ask because...well...you need to ask someone and I've been asked by three people already and I know I'm not alone in refusing them all. In case...in case you were to ask me--"

Still confused, I furrowed my brows at her. "Polly, wha--"

"--which would be great, if you were interested. The rumor is that you are interested, so I just want to make it clear that I am, too, and that's not a rumor. That's a fact."

I cleared my throat. "Well, that's great, but...what are you talking about?"

Polly playfully rolled her eyes at me. "The Blood Ball, of course. So tell me, who is the Scorpion King taking to the Blood Ball?"

Suddenly, I heard the sound of screaming come from behind me. I quickly turned around. "What is that screaming?"

"Mudbloods," Polly answered. "They're in the dungeons. It was your idea, wasn't it? What's going on with you?"

I turned back to face Polly. "Uh...nothing. I'm fine."

She raised her eyebrows. "Really?"

"Yeah, really."

"Well, you sound a bit odd today. As if...as if you've changed all of a sudden."

I scoffed. "No, I'm fine."

She nodded her head. "If you say so, Scorpius." She looked down at her feet. "Oh Potter! I've got blood on my shoes again..." She bent over and cleaned the blood off her shoes. After cleaning the blood, she came back up and looked at me. "Like the Augurey insists, the future is ours to make. So here I am, making a future...with you. For Voldemort and Valor."

"For Voldemort it is," I said.

Polly shot me a soft smile, then walked away from me. What was going on?

"Why didn't you say yes to her?" Karl asked me once Polly was gone.

"Yeah, she's fancied you for a while now," Yann added.

"Wait...I thought you two left," I said.

"And miss Polly Chapman asking you to the ball? I don't think so," Yann replied.

"So...are the Potter twins really dead?" I questioned.

"Yeah. They've been dead for years," Karl said. "Since when do you care about them?"

"Because Max Potter is my mum and Harry Potter is my uncle, that's why," I retorted. Karl and Yann roared with laughter. "What's so funny?"

"Scorpius, Astoria Greengrass is your mum, not Max Potter," Karl said. "And you don't have any uncles. Just one aunt and her name is Daphne."

"Yeah, if you were related to the Potters, then you'd be with the Mudbloods in the dungeons," Yann added. "We'll catch you later, mate.

Now, I was more confused than ever. I headed back up to Professor Umbridge's office and barged in her office. "I'm sorry, Headmistress, but this is important."

"Well...of course, Scorpius," she said. "What is it?"

I paused for a moment, then blurted out, "I need to speak with my father."

*******

Professor Umbridge sent an owl to my father immediately. Through Floo Network, I went to the Ministry of Magic. The place was now even more dark and gloomy. It was hard to believe that people actually liked it this way. On the way to the elevators, I spotted the giant fountain that was in the middle of everything. But it didn't look the same. Something about it was different, but I wasn't sure what it was. Curious, I went to get a closer look and realized that human statues surrounded the fountain.

"They're Muggles, in case you were wondering," some employee said beside me. "Muggles that are in their rightful place."

Swallowing hard, I left the fountain and rushed towards the elevators. I took the middle one, which took me to the second floor. According to Professor Umbridge, Dad was Head of Magical Law Enforcement. I was hoping he was still the same caring and loving Dad that I knew.

I got off the elevator and headed for his office. Once I saw his name printed on a door, I knocked twice before entering. "Hi, Dad," I said, closing the door behind me.

He turned around and faced me. "You are late," he spat out.

Shocked and confused, I widened my eyes. But I shook it off and looked around the office. "This is your office?" I asked.

"You are late and unapologetic, maybe you are determined to compound the problem."

What? "Wait, so you're really the Head of Magical Law Enforcement?"

"How dare you! How dare you embarrass me and keep me waiting and then not apologize for it!" Draco shouted.

I felt a tug at my heart when he raised his voice. "Sorry."

"Sir."

"Sorry, sir."

Dad huffed a sigh. "I did not bring you up to be sloppy, Scorpius. I did not bring you up to humiliate me at Hogwarts."

"Humiliate you, sir?"

"Asking questions about the Potter twins, all of the embarrassing things. How dare you disgrace the Malfoy name."

I went over to his desk and looked at the Daily Prophet that he was reading. "No. Are you responsible for this, Dad?" I questioned, pointing at the newspaper.

He turned around and gave me a sad face. "Scorpius--"

"Three wizards blowing up bridges to see how many Muggles they can kill with one blast. Was that you?"

"Listen to me--"

"You know, I've heard a lot of things in the last three days. I know about the Mudblood death camps, the torture, the burning alive of those that oppose him. How much of that was you?"

"Scorpius, if you would just--"

"This is what you really are, isn't it? A murderer, a torturer, a--"

Before I knew it, Dad slammed me against the wall, clearly angry at everything that I said. Once Dad saw the fear in my eyes, he let go of me and went towards his desk, sitting down. "No, everything you just accused me of, that was not my doing. Although, the Augurey will ask me to bribe the Muggle Prime Minister with gold."

"Well, I'm glad you weren't behind all of that," I said. I paused for a moment, then continued talking. "When I was around nine or ten, Mum told me how Grandfather was cruel to her while growing up, always despising her. But you came and helped her, protected her. She told me that it was the bravest thing she'd ever seen."

Dad shot me a sad look. "You know that Maxine Potter is your real mother, don't you?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, I do. But why do my friends say otherwise?"

"It's complicated, Scorpius."

"But I need to know, Dad. Please tell me. I have the right to know."

Dad sighed. "I think it will be easier for me to show you." He led me towards a cabinet and opened it.

I widened my eyes. "Is that a Pensieve?"

"Yes. I was given one when I became Head of Magical Law Enforcement." He took his wand from his pocket and lifted it to his ear. He pulled out a long strand of something silver. It was his memory. "Just know that things were very different back then." With that, the silver strand went in the Pensieve and I dove my head straight in.

*******

Fourteen-year-old Max Potter was walking towards the Hogwarts Express while holding hands with her boyfriend, Cedric Diggory. "I still can't believe you and your brother won the tournament," Cedric told her.

"I can't believe it, either," Max replied.

"They probably cheated," fourteen-year-old Draco Malfoy sneered as he walked past them.

"Watch your mouth, Malfoy," Cedric warned him.

"What are you going to do to me, Diggory? Nothing, I assume. You clearly let your girlfriend and her brother win, like always..."

"Malfoy, stop it," Max intervened, then looked up at Cedric. "Cedric, let's go." She tugged at his arm, wanting him to follow her on the train. "Don't worry about him. He's just a jealous git."

Cedric sighed and nodded his head. "You're right. I have nothing to worry about, do I?"

Max smiled. "No, you don't."

Everything faded away and everyone was now a year older. Harry and Max were walking with Cedric down the corridor late at night. The trio were unaware that Draco was following them. Like before, Cedric and Max were holding hands, looking as happy as ever.

"You two are bloody disgusting," Harry told them.

"So stop looking," Max retorted. "Better yet, leave us alone."

"Gladly." Harry began to quicken his pace.

Finally, the two were alone. "So, I'll see you tomorrow night at the meeting?" Max asked.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," he replied, kissing her on the lips. "There's Anthony Rickett. I'll see you tomorrow."

Max smiled and gave one last peck on the lips before strolling away from him.

"Seriously, how can you still be dating her?" Anthony asked Cedric once she was gone. "Better question, how can you still be dating her after her and her brother kicked your arse in the tournament last year? Please don't tell me you actually like her."

"Of course not," Cedric replied. "But this is the only way I can get close to her in order to get information from her."

"Information about what?"

"That's none of your concern. I just know that she's keeping information from me. I'm determined to find out, even if it means I have to attend more of those stupid meetings for Dumbledore's Army."

Draco was shocked to hear Cedric talk about Max in such a bad way. But instead of confronting him, like he would have done, he simply walked away.

Everything faded away once again. It was now two years later and Max was now stuck in a cell. She heard someone come down the stairs and saw that it was Draco.

"I brought you some food," he said, sliding it under the door.

She took it and looked down at the plate. "What day is it?" she asked.

"July 31st," he answered. "Your birthday. The big seventeen."

"It doesn't feel like my birthday," she said. "But because it is, I know what I want my present to be."

He sighed. "I can't get you out of here just yet," he told her.

Max shot him a sad look. "When, Draco? When can you get me out of here?"

"Soon, Max," he responded, taking her hand through the door. "I will help you escape."

She nodded her head. "Do you find it hard to believe that we've become close in just a short amount of months?"

Draco gave her a soft smile. "No, not really."

She huffed a sigh. "Draco, seriously, when can you get me out of here?"

Seeing the desperate look in her eyes, he replied with, "Soon. I promise."

Max nodded her head again. "Thank you."

Everything transitioned to the Battle of Hogwarts. There was a lot of fighting going on. Spells were flying everywhere, along with bodies and the walls of the castle. Harry and Max just came back from the dead (literally), and Lord Voldemort was now even more determined to have them killed.

"Max!" Draco shouted. "Max!"

"Harry, watch out!" the sound of Max's voice came from a distance.

"Max," Draco muttered, running towards where he heard her voice. He ran faster and faster until he saw piles of the castle walls. "No!" he shouted, running towards the pile.

"Draco?" Max called out.

"Max, where are you?" he went searching for her in the piles.

"Over here!"

Draco went around and found a crying Max. She was picking up the stones and throwing them behind her. "What are you doing?" he questioned.

"Do you have your wand on you?" she asked.

Draco shook his head. "I think I dropped it somewhere."

"Damn. Our wands are broken and Harry's stuck in here. I have to get him out." Max continued with the stones until Harry's upper body was visible. She gasped. "No! Harry!"

"Max," he said in a faint tone. "You need to get out of here." He began to cough violently.

Max shook her head. "No! I'm not leaving you! I'm going to get you out of here!"

"No, you have to leave me, Max," Harry told her. "He'll be here any minute and kill us both. You have a chance to escape."

"Harry, you're the only family I have left," she said, tears streaming down her face. "I'm not leaving you here to die."

Harry grabbed Max's hand. "The ones that love us never really leave us." He then looked at Draco. "Take her somewhere far away from here. Look after her, protect her. Do it for me and for her."

Draco reluctantly nodded his head and grabbed Max. "Come on, we've got to go."

"No! No, I can't leave my brother here!" she shouted, struggling to get out of his grasp. "Please, we've got to help him!"

"We can't help him!" Draco raised his voice, pulling Max from the ground. "Come on!"

Max stared at Harry. "I love you so much, Harry."

"I love you, too, Max."

Draco took Max away from Harry. Just in the nick of time, Voldemort showed up. When Max heard him, she turned back around and peeked around the corner. Before she knew it, Voldemort muttered a spell and a green light shot out of his wand and hit Harry, killing him instantly.

"Max, look at me," Draco said, making her oblige. "We need to go."

She sniffled. "Please don't leave me."

"I won't," he assured her. "I'd never leave you."

In a matter of seconds, Draco and Max were a bit older. They were now in a house along the countryside.

"I'm so ready for this baby to come out," Max said, rubbing her baby bump.

"It won't be much longer, will it?" Draco asked.

"In just a couple of weeks, he'll be here," Max replied. "I have a good feeling it'll be a boy."

Draco smiled, wrapping his arms around her waist. "You think your brother would've been happy for us? I mean, we're not even married and it wasn't like we planned this."

Max nodded her head. "He would've. I know he would've." She sighed. "I can't believe it's been eight years."

"It doesn't feel like it's been that long," Draco said.

"No, it hasn't."

All of a sudden, the two heard someone outside. Draco went over to the window and looked outside. "Shit."

"Who is it, Draco?"

Draco turned around with a worried look on his face. "It's Scabior and he's brought company."

All of a sudden, the door busted open. "Well, well, this is a surprise," Scabior said, walking inside, followed by the other Snatchers. "After eight years of searching for you two, we finally caught ya. All it took was for someone to catch you buying some food from a shop."

"What, did you have us followed?" Draco asked.

Scabior just laughed. "Nothing gets by you, boy." He looked at the other Snatchers. "Take them to the Ministry. We're going to have fun with these two."

Everything went away and Draco was now in the Department of Mysteries. He was pacing back and forth, getting more anxious by the minute. Apparently, Draco was not allowed to see Max's trial, therefore, had to wait outside. Finally, the door opened and his father came out, along with other witches and wizards.

"What happened in there?" he asked. "What's going to happen with Max?"

"Do you really care?" Lucius retorted.

"Just tell me, please," Draco replied.

Lucius sighed. "We haven't even started the trial."

"Why not?"

"Because we didn't know what to do with you, but thanks to your mother and I, it's all figured out. They'll clear the charges against you and you'll get full custody of the child if you agree to testify against Potter."

Draco widened his eyes. "What?!"

"Draco, she has been hunted down for too long. It's time she gets what she deserves, just like her brother."

"What? No, that's not right. I deserve to be punished, too."

"Draco, do not pass this opportunity. Think about your family, your child. Think about your future for crying out loud." Lucius pulled out Draco's wand from his pocket. "I found this eight years ago and have kept it ever since."

Draco took his wand, shook his head, and huffed a sigh in frustration. "Let me talk to her."

"Draco--"

"Let me talk to her. Now."

So Lucius reluctantly took Draco to Max's cell in the Ministry. She looked awful when he saw her. When they were alone, Draco got down to the ground and took her hand. "I'm so sorry."

"This isn't your fault, Draco," she said.

"Max, they want me to testify against you. I won't face any charges and I get full custody of our baby."

"Do it."

Draco widened his eyes in shock. "What?"

"Do it. Testify against me. I want you to raise this baby."

"But you--"

"Don't worry about me. Just let our child know about me, tell him stories about us, even if they were us fighting at school all the time."

Draco laughed through the tears that were now down his face. "I love you, you know that?"

Max smiled, crying as well. "I know. I love you, too."

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

She nodded her head. "Yes. Do this for me and for the baby."

Reluctantly, Draco nodded his head. "Alright, I'll do it.

"Please tell our kid the truth about me," Max said. "Promise me, Draco."

Draco nodded his head again. "I promise."

*******

Once everything was black, I shot my head up from the Pensieve and gasped. "Wow. That was a lot to take in."

Dad nodded his head. "I know, but you were right. You deserved to know the whole story."

"You two spent eight years together in hiding? Without magic?"

"Yes, but despite how long those years were, they were the best years of my life."

"So...wait, no one knows that Max Potter is my real mum?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No. It was never mentioned in the papers that she was pregnant when we were arrested. The Ministry didn't want anyone to know. My father introduced me to Astoria after the trial. We got married a week after we met. You were born two days after the wedding. Everyone thought that you were the reason why we got married, because Astoria was pregnant with you. Of course, that was what we wanted everyone to think. People thought she used some kind of charm to hide the bump."

"But...you were gone for so long. What made people think it was your baby?"

"Because everyone thought Astoria was hiding me away from the public eye. No one knew that I was with your mother for eight years. Father didn't want the Malfoy name to be ruined."

"So why did Voldemort spare me?"

"Despite the fact that you have Potter blood, Voldemort found you useful to the Wizarding world and to Hogwarts, which is why he kept you alive. So Astoria and I raised you with the same beliefs we were taught as children."

"So where is Astoria now?"

"She's working at St. Mungo's. She's a Healer."

"And Mum?"

He closed his eyes. "She was given the Dementor's Kiss. About a year after her sentence, she went mad and eventually died because she refused to eat. She starved herself to death."

I felt my heart drop. Hearing about Mum dying made me sick to my stomach. Seeing Dad in so much pain just made it even worse. I knew that I had to fix things. Things had to go back to the way that they were.

"What did you love most about Mum?" I asked.

Dad smiled a bit at the question. "She could always help me find light in the darkness. She made the world...well, my world...less dark and gloomy. It took me years to figure that out."

"Do I remind you of her?" I questioned.

Dad looked at me. "Yes, you do." He got down to my level and placed his hands on my face. "Whatever you're doing, Scorpius, do it safely. I've already lost your mother. I can't lose you, too."

"Yes, sir. I promise."

My father stood back up and said, "For Voldemort and Valor."

"For Voldemort and Valor," I repeated. This was all a huge mess. Now, I was going to have to fix it on my own.

I was going to make things right. For the Potters and Love.

A/N: This was a long chapter. I did not expect it to be this long tbh.

So I start school tomorrow and updates might be slow (like, real slow). I don't know if I will have enough time to write with school and work. I'm halfway done with college and now is the time to really focus on my career and all that. So for now (I hate doing this), I'll kind of go on a hiatus.

Anyway, what did you think of all that? What about Draco's new memories? Not to mention some Drax-ish moments there. Lol.

Comment, vote, I'll try to update whenever I have time! (also, Scorpius' POV again in the next chapter).

-A

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.5K 914 24
Despite their differences, James Potter and Lily Evans fell in love. After graduating from Hogwarts and fighting in a dangerous war against Lord Vold...
283K 10.7K 25
After Harry and Max's crazy third year, the two decide to make a clean start. New year, new beginnings. That's until their names are put into the Gob...
813K 17.9K 23
Ivy Evans, Slytherin, 6th Year, Harry Potter's twin sister, little to her and Harry's knowledge. After Ivy's adoptive muggle parents die, Professor...