Crossroads

By AudenNyx

"You make me want to do things to you." He mumbles, his brown eyes never straying from mine. "What?" I whisp... More

p r o l o g u e
c a s t
a e s t h e t i c s
1 | Good Morning, Sunshine
2 | Waffles
3 | New Beginnings
4 | Silver Knight High
5 | Place Your Bets
6 | Nicknames, Eh?
7 | Stereotypes
9 | Truth Or Dare
10 | Lover Boy
11 | Spongebob Squarepants
12 | Starlight
13 | The Herd
14 | Do I Sense Jealously
15 | Anyone Special?
16 | Confessions
17 | So You're The Lucky Guy
18 | Important Business
19 | Irony
20 | We Need To Talk
21 | Setting You Free
22 | Son Of A Biscuit Cracker
23 | Miracle Worker
24 | Lucky
25 | Purple
26 | What
27 | Surprise
g a n g h o u s e
28 | Rain
29 | Reunited
30 | The Tracks
31 | Bliss
32 | The Auction
33 | Trust
34 | Reunited 2.0
35 | Stars and Snow
Epilogue | Perfect
Bonus Chapter | Happy
bonus chapter 0.2 "toddlers in their twenties"

8 | Same But Different

30.5K 968 394
By AudenNyx

E I G H T

~Autumn shows us how beautiful it is to let things go~

a d e l i n

"So who's our captain?" Tris questions.

"Mason Kingsley." Noah mutters, his voice is barely audible over the song. Candice brightens, a wide grin already on her face as she moves to a smirking Mase.

"And." Noah adds, speaking up and it's as though the whole room stops, everyone except Noah who follows with "Caleb Carter is your co-captain."

Ash moves towards Noah "It's o-" she halts abruptly, eyes comically wide as she chuckles nervously and reroutes towards Caleb "I mean, I called it." she gives Caleb a quick hug, stepping away before he can even process it.

The exchange isn't missed by Noah or Tris but they don't linger on the odd moment because Tris punches Noah's arm a little too forcefully "Seriously dude? I'm disappointed, I wasted a perfectly good bet on you." Noah only glares at him, rubbing the spot.

My cousin in uncharacteristically quiet, only exchanging brief glances with Ash so in attempts to cheer him up I join him and not a second later so does Coco.

And I'd say my mission is accomplished because his whole demeanour morphs as he takes the cat into his arms and showers her with kisses.

"There's my princess." his hair and Coco's fur are the near identical shade and blend in together as he nuzzles into her "Who's my best girl?" she meows back, as though in conversation with him "Yes, you are!"

The scene makes me grin and as I catch sight of Ash and the enamoured expression she wears, I know she throughly enjoys it too.

"You truly are a disappointment." I ruffle his white hair-something he always takes severe offense to-once he stops attacking Coco. Pulling away, he points a finger in warning at me "Watch it. And you love me, so drop the act."

I monotone "That was before you made me lose a crucial bet."

"Liar." he pokes my ribs "I'm adorable." poke "Irresistible" poke "Amazing" poke "A-" this time, I grab his finger "Arrogant" bend "Irritating" bend "Annoyi-" now I'm cut off as he laughs nervously, pulling me towards.

"Okay okay, we get it." he jokes, freeing his finger and pouting down at it. I smile, looking up to find Caleb's eyes already on us.

Why is he looking at us like that?

Walking over to him with crossed arms, I tell him "You lost. The bet was held for the Captain's position." by now everyone's occupied with their own conversations, music once again blasting through the speakers.

Amused, he answers "Last time I checked, Co-captain in also the captain." he unwraps a mini bar of Mars from the jar of chocolates Laura had placed on the coffee table "Besides, I didn't want to be Captain in the first place."

That manages to surprise me "Why?" he leisurely takes a bite of the bar, a string of caramel falling on his lip "Because" he flicks a tongue over the bottom lip, my eyes follow the movement.

"Mase deserved it way more than me. He has both, great talent and a passion for the sport. I don't plan on pursuing soccer as my career." my distracted brain registers the word with more surprise.

"Well..congratulations."

"That's it?" finishing the chocolate in another bite "I'm afraid that won't cut it" he shakes his head in disappointment, trying and failing to stifle a smirk from gracing his handsome face.

I raise my brow in question.

"Did you expect me to run into your arms and give you a big ole kiss?" I ask, unaware of the game he's playing.

He takes a step closer to me, leaving barely any distance between us. He leans in and his breath caresses my ear, a shiver dancing up my spine.

"I'm not opposed to the idea." he whispers lowly.

Damn, Danny really chose a golden time to not be with us.

Caleb faces me, getting closer by the second. I don't dare move.

Deciding to play along, I let him get closer. He hesitates, realising with a start that I'm giving in. Only, at the last second, I side step and he ends up losing his balance.

"What was that for?" he aks, an equally shocked and bewildered look now on his face.

My answer get cut off by Mase "We're starting without you two." He calls out and without a second thought, I grap his hand "Come on Caleb, let's eat first." hushing him up.

He in return intertwines his fingers with mine, and I bite my lip as we make our way towards the dining table which now has all sorts of delicious food placed on it.

These feelings with Caleb need to be stopped before they consume me whole, I have to sort out whatever I had with Danny first.

Caleb sits to my right while Noah occupies the seat to my left, each of us piling our plates with food, raising a toast to the captains, one of whose hand only leaves mine to begin eating.

With its absence comes the absence of warmth and comfort.

I need to sort my feeling out before I get tangled in them and it's too late.

*^*^*^*^*

Our marvellous lunch is followed by a long game of Uno and good conversation.

I now lie comfortably on the couch beside a curious Caleb, a sleeping Coco in his lap, he passed the test with flying colours. Tris was outraged when the feline rubbed her head against Caleb's leg, she's been by his side since.

I'd ogle the sight of a lazy Caleb stroking a sleeping kitten in his lap more had he not been eyeing the congruency tattoo on my left wris curiously, I'm worried he'll ask about the meaning behind it any second.

Aaron and I had gotten matching congruency tattoos on our birthday. Same but different. We had wanted to get it for sometime and were in love with the end product, the reaction was in complete opposition to Mother's.

My lips twitch thinking about the meltdown she'd had.

To my right lies a widely grinning Tris, no doubt thinking about whatever he has planned for us.

This is the most fun i've had since the incident and having all my friends here makes me realise how lucky and blessed I am to have loving individuals like them in my life.

Tris stretches, standing up and beckoning me to join him, at first I refuse, not wanting to give up my comfortable position. His eyes widen a bit, trying to convey a messege to me and I instantly perk up.

A light touch over my wrist-over my tattoo-makes me to look back at an inquisitive Caleb.

"Be right back." is my reply, following Tris to where his phone is placed and along the way he grabs Ash's arm, pulling her with us.

Her eyes widen as soon as she realises what's about to come next.

"When I change the song, consider it your cue." Tris whispers once all three of us are out of earshot. I snicker earining a glare from Ash and quickly sober up, holding my hands up in surrender.

"I thought you were on my side Addie! This is not something normal, I cannot stress that enough. You're a sadist Tris." Ash whisper-yells and I almost feel bad for Ash, opening my mouth I prepare to protest.

"Don't waste your breath." Tris aims at me, then to Ash "Pish posh, apple sauce. Go get ready." Tris dismisses her and she shows him the middle finger, stomping back.

Tris waits for a few moments to change the song.

Ash is stull glaring at us as when we return to the couch where Caleb still lounges lazily, now scrolling through his phone.

I take my place next to him "What are you up to?" I discreetly point at Ash, he follows my gaze, waiting patiently.

Ash slowly starts to pull off her shirt and then all of a sudden throws it off. Each and every one of my friends stop whatever they were doing.

I look back at Caleb whose eyes widen making me think they might just pop out of his eye sockets as he looks away from Ash who now stands in her pink bra.

Noah jumps up, taking his jacket off and throwing it over her, his back blocking Ash from our eyes completely "What the fuck Ashley?" he inquires, infuriated.

The others look between Ash and us, their eyes wide with shock and confusion, Tris is the only one gracing an amused expression.

The remaining two boys are alert, not knowing what to do and as Ash buttons up Noah's jacket, Candi starts to explain to the three gaping boys what the whole fiasco had been about.

"It's a long story but the shortened version is that it was a dare given to Ash by Tris." She condenses the events, not giving away the other part of our deal.

The boys loosen breaths and the tension dissipates from the room but Noah's jaw is still clenched and Ash's cheek are bright red as they continue to stare at each other, up until Ash leaves the room with her top in hand.

"Honestly Tris, I hope you rot in hell!" She growls out once she returns, once again in her top but now Noah's too big jacket is on her shoulders.

One look from Tris and I know that he wants to commence the second part of his plan.

"Speaking of dares, anyone up for a game of truth or dare?" I suggest with an innocent smil, still reeling from what had just transpired.

"I'm in." Candi is the first one to agree, as part of our deal.

"Sure, how bad could it be." Caleb follows after, his dismissal making me turn my gaze towards Tris who meets it with a keen look, his eyes practically sparkling with the same mischief that tugs my lips in a wide grin.

"Knowing Tris and Addie, it's sure to be something unforgettable." Mase comments, taking a sip from his iced coffee and Noah nods along, stating "There's a reason we banned this stupid game."

They know Tris and I all too well. All of Tris's plan could go downhill if they don't play so I do the first thing that comes in my mind.

"Chicken!" I chant while Tris starts clucking, both of us now flinging our arms like idiots, potraying flapping motions. 

Mase lets out a long exaggerated sigh, Noah rolls his electric blue eyes-the shade an almost identical match to mine.

"We're not falling for that. I don't say this often and it's only at rare occasions but Noah's right." Mase mumbles but Tris and I don't pay him any heed, only growing louder "Children." Mase says under his breath, going back to his cherished coffee.

Lucky for us, Noah dosen't possess Mase's infinite patience and gives in, huffing "Fine!" as he crosses his arms.

Candi claps enthusiastically. Ash marches over to us, still angry. Noah and Mase look at each other with concerned expressions. All the while Caleb scoots closer to me, enjoying my breath hitch when we're thigh to thigh.

And so all of us sit on the floor in a circle and I all but hold my breath as Tris leans forward to spin the bottle.

☼ 𝘼𝙐𝙏𝙃𝙊𝙍'𝙎 𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙀  ☼

It takes so bloody long to edit these
Suddenly leaving this story as is is way too tempting
But I shall not give up
Yet
A lot of fun stuff ahead so brace yourselves
I hope you liked the chapter
Until next time
xoxo
💙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.2K 1.8K 50
Alexis was heartbroken when August, her best friend of ten years, humiliated her in front of the whole school. August leaves school the same year and...
106K 3K 43
A story, in which a typical teenage girl falls for the school's bad boy. Except, she's not that typical and he's not that much of a bad boy. *** "If...
2K 67 19
"Well then. That's the first time a girl has ever rejected my close proximity," he said, eyes ablaze with a playful fire. "You better get used to it...
35.4K 1.5K 13
We were a team. A confidence team, gaining your trust and ripping you off for every penny we could squeeze out of you. Stealing millions between pick...