Crossroads

By AudenNyx

"You make me want to do things to you." He mumbles, his brown eyes never straying from mine. "What?" I whisp... More

p r o l o g u e
c a s t
a e s t h e t i c s
1 | Good Morning, Sunshine
2 | Waffles
3 | New Beginnings
4 | Silver Knight High
5 | Place Your Bets
6 | Nicknames, Eh?
8 | Same But Different
9 | Truth Or Dare
10 | Lover Boy
11 | Spongebob Squarepants
12 | Starlight
13 | The Herd
14 | Do I Sense Jealously
15 | Anyone Special?
16 | Confessions
17 | So You're The Lucky Guy
18 | Important Business
19 | Irony
20 | We Need To Talk
21 | Setting You Free
22 | Son Of A Biscuit Cracker
23 | Miracle Worker
24 | Lucky
25 | Purple
26 | What
27 | Surprise
g a n g h o u s e
28 | Rain
29 | Reunited
30 | The Tracks
31 | Bliss
32 | The Auction
33 | Trust
34 | Reunited 2.0
35 | Stars and Snow
Epilogue | Perfect
Bonus Chapter | Happy
bonus chapter 0.2 "toddlers in their twenties"

7 | Stereotypes

40.2K 1K 726
By AudenNyx

S E V E N

~Cry a river. Build a bridge. Get over it.~

a d e l i n

I had to give up my free periods for detention in order to reach home in time and prepare for the gathering not knowing that my plans would have to wait.

As soon as I'd gotten out the room and turned on my phone, I had been greeted by eleven missed calls by none other than mother dearest.

Every profanity I know runs through my mind when her name once again annoyingly flashes on the screen. Grinding my teeth, I swipe to pick up the call.

"I am in school Mother, do you not-" That's how far I make it before she cuts me off "Manners, Adelin, I am not one of your friends. I am your mother and you will treat me with respect. I expect a greeting when you first answer my call."

Authority rings in each word and I hate that I straighten my spine and school my expression as if she were standing right infront of me.

Looking down on me with cold grey eyes as she always did.

The grip on my phone tightens "Forgive me, i'll be sure to ask about the weather next time. Why did you call?" I mutter, not wanting to bicker.

"Natallie is getting a break from school, I need you to pick her up. She'll be staying with you for two days after which your father and I will be taking her with us." I open my mouth, protests begging to be worded but that is not where my misery ends.

"A dinner will be held and you have to be present, unlike last time. I will hear no excuses. I suggest you learn some manners before the dinner. Goodbye." She ends the call before I can talk back and refuse.

I want to see Nat badly, spending time with my baby sister is not something I have the chance to do often but at the same time I have other things to attend to.

My thoughts get intrupted by another message, this one from Mother's assistant Clarice, stating the address to Nat's boarding school which just so happens to be out of town.

Clarice even added a smiley face in the end to soften the blow.

It's all useless in the end though, Mother made it very clear that there was no room for arguments. There never is with her. My plans had just taken a one hour detour.

°*°*°*°*°

After picking Nat up, I had driven us home as my baby sister had caught me up on all the new updates in her life. She continues to do the same, talking on while indulging in a hearty bowl of Mac and Cheese, a treat Laura had ready at our arrival.

It saddens me to know that I've been absent for a good portion from my six year old sister's life, she's grown considerably since the last time I saw her yet at the same time also managed to remain her same enthusiastic and bubbly self.

I smile as she raves on about her boarding school and her best friend, feeling grateful that Nat is genuinely enjoying her time at Paramount Preparatory.

While our parents were mostly absent during Aaron and my childhood they didn't even try at Nat's turn. They're never there. Not on her birthday. Not during any milestone in my sister's life.

Aaron and I had learned to not care. We'd had each other. We'd became enough for one other. I'm glad to hear that she has friends and an encouraging environment in these years of her life.

The trail of my thoughts gets intrupted when the bell rings.

"Oh that must be the girl I'm babysitting." Laura informs, turning to look back at me from the dishes she was washing.

Laura enjoys babysitting every now and then. She claims to get bored during her free time and that the company she receives from sugar high toddlers helps.

"Don't worry, I'll get it." Getting up, I give Laura a smile before making my way to the front door and pulling it open. My smile instantaneously dissolves, my mouth falling open at the person standing infront of me.

Caleb Carter in all of his 6'2 glory casually stands at my door, looking at me with the same shell shocked and confused expression.

"You have got to be kidding me. Again? What are you doing here?" He inquires with furrowed brows, they smoothen and a stupid smirk replces them "Can't seem to leave me can you?"

"Yeah go on and keep kidding yourself sweetheart, I happen to live here." I tell, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Don't tell me, you're babysitting my sister?" he asks slowly, pure disbelief still coating his face as he looks from me down to his sister who I just seem to notice.

She has the same sparkling brown eyes, her hair an identical shade to Caleb's as they're tied in two ponytails. The only difference I notice between the two siblings are the abstractly sprinkled freckles across her face.

She's practically a mini girl version of her brother which I find absolutely adorable.

"No, my maid likes to babysit in her free time." I inform him, turning to his sister "Well hello there, I'm Adelin and you are?" I greet her, regaining my composure to crouch down and hold out a hand.

Well fuck, good looks must run in the family.

Glancing up at Caleb who still seems to be recovering, I chuckle at the sight of his slightly parted mouth, in turn making him shake his head.

"So the popular girl is good with kids?" he comments, raising a curious brow at me. A roll my eyes is what he gets in reply "Really? Stereotypes?" I deadpan.

"I sincerely apologise, your onslaught of admirers seem to have clouded my judgement. How rude of me." he jokes but I only smile up at him "Careful Caleb, you sound jealous."

He laughs, an actual laugh which sounds a little too good for my liking and leaves me clearing my throat and look back at his sister.

Just when she opens her mouth to say something, my sister comes out running "Bloom!" she shrieks almost deafening me.

In the process, she manages to push my crouched form resulting in me falling right on my ass while she-unbothered as ever-continues to embrace Caleb's sister.

"Fucking hell, no more carbohydrates for you Nat." I mutter under my breath so that the girls don't hear me curse. Caleb glances between the two hugging six year olds and then back at me, once again beginning to laugh right at my face.

Jerk.

Bending down, he gives me his hand which I reluctantly take, hauling me up our eyes lock before his gaze travels down towards my lips, mine do the same as he bites his lower lip.

I really need to stop this nonsense. I promised myself I won't get involved in anything until I haven't cleared up whatever I had in the past with Danny. And that is exactly what I'm going to do.

"I can't believe you're here!" Nat exclaims, Caleb and I pull away in time to see her practically jumping with glee.

"So you're the lovely girl Bloom can't seem to stop talking about." Caleb grins at Nat, now focusing his sole attention on the two girls.

"Yep. Big bro shesh ma beshtie Nat" Bloom squeals as I coe at her lisp.

"Lovely to meet you Nat. Well, Bloom, let me introduce you to my bestie as well" Caleb declares, turning to look at me "This is Adelin. Please don't reveal any of my embarrassing stories to her. She'll definitely use it against me." Caleb looks at her with a grave look.

"But what about when you went to school in your pajamas?" Bloom whispers not quietly at all, a groan of protest leaves Caleb's throat much to my delight "Shesh so pewetty big bro!" my heart melts into a puddle as I laugh at both of her statements and how she instantly changed the topic at Caleb's verbal protest.

"She sure is." he whispers softly, looking at me with a small smile. I feel heat creep up my neck.

I really need to tell him about Daniel.

"I should get going now, I can't just pass up the opportunity to get a 'treat' from you, now can I?" it takes me a second to realise that he's talking about the trials and another second to process the extra emphasis on the word treat.

"Don't count on it, Carter." I prop my hands on my waist, trying to play off the fast pace of my heart. He only chuckles in reply, a chuckle that sounds a lot like he knows he's already won.

God, each and everything this guy does is attractive. How is this even possible or fair?

"We'll see about that. Au revoir (goodbye), for now." He kisses Bloom's cheek, turning around to take his leave but before he can go any further than two steps, I call out his name.

Making my way to where he stands, I lean forward to whisper "Bonne chance (good luck). You're going to need it." to him, using the same language that seemed to be made just for him because of the almost sinful way it suited his voice and rolled of his tongue.

I feel him stiffen at our close proximity, at my words. Breathing in the scent of his cologne, my eyes close momentarily when his lips barely graze my cheek "You're going to regret that." I can practically feel the smirk on his face.

His phone rings and I back away immediately while he answers, looking down at my feet only to find them bare.

God what is wrong with me.

I cannot get involved in anything. And I'm not getting involved because Caleb and I are just friends.

He's a really hot friend but that's beside the point, I'm not that kind of a person. I have to stay away from his good looks. I've had enough drama already and the last thing I need is more.

He ends the call "That was Noah, the trials are about to start." he tells me, that same smirk plastered on hsi face. I nod, giving him a smile as we wave goodbye, with one last wink at me, he walks away.

A stupid smile is still on my face once i'm inside though it slips away when I remember the two six year old girls who are nowhere to be seen. My eyes widen and I race into the kitchen, finding Laura humming as she stirs some sort of sauce.

"Laura, where are the girls?" I ask, somehow breathless, she suddenly starts to laugh. All the while I stand there with a horrified expression"What's so funny?"

She finally starts to sober up, enough to inform "They went upstairs to play while you were talking to that handsome yound man."

I hang my head, sheer relief soothing my tense muscles as I chant They're not gone, there fine in my head. My therapist's voice guiding me through the painful flashes.

It won't happen again.

I try to release a shaky breath, opening my eyes and looking up at Laura who now wears an apologetic expression.

"I'm sorry, after the incident it's j-"  but she dosen't let me finish, hugging me tightly. I close my eyes, relishing the gentle motherly touch. A touch I can hardly recognise.

"I understand. I'm sorry, sweetie." she murmurs, rubbing my back in comforting movements. Silently shaking my head, I block those thoughts and focus on the things I love and hold dear now.

Noah. Ash. Mase. Tris. Candi. Danny. Jas.

Who knows where life takes us and who Caleb becomes to me.

Most of all Aaron i'm doing this for him, all of this is for him.

I pull away with a small grateful smile "Always smile, you look absolutely beautiful when you do so." Laura flicks my chin "Now go clean up. I'll be finishing soon enough." she orders.

"Thank you. I'll go and check on the girls and leave you be." pecking her on the cheek, I make my way upstairs, deciding to pay the girls a visit.

Knocking, I enter the room where I find Nat and Bloom holding fake phones "Hey you two, what have you been up to?" I ask, sitting down beside them.

"We've been on a lot of secret missions to save the world." Nat answers conspiratorially looking around, Bloom nods her head vigorously "We helped a prince in the last one."

"Is that right? I can only imagine how exhausted you two must be after saving the world." I ask them, playing along.

And just as suspected, as if on cue, Bloom yawns which triggers Nat to yawn. Shaking my head, I get up and grasping both their hands to pull them up along with me.

"Come on spies, I think you two should have a well deserved nap." I suggest, tucking them in once both of them settle on the bed.

"Addie will you pleash read ush a shtory." Bloom asks with brown puppy dog eyes.

How can I say no to that face.

"Of course, I will." Going over to search the massive bookshelf hosting countless books, some from my own childhood and some newly bought.

I easily reach for Alice in wonderland. I'm 5'9 and I'm grateful for that as it's highly useful. Probably a twin thing since Aaron and I were almost the same height he was just 3 inches taller.

I settle at the foot of the bed and begin reading.

"..how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days."

By the time the story concludes, both of the girls are snoring lightly, tranquil expressions drawing their lips in pouts while I tiptoe out the room.

Messages await me when I get back, sent in the group I share with the girls

Candi : Are we going for comfy or cute?

Ash: Why can't it be both?

Candi: Because the seven year old hanging-on-by-a-thread t-shirt I'm wearing right now is definitely not cute

Ash: Honey, change right this instance and throw that shirt in an incinerator

Me: No do not, under any circumstances, do that musty shirts are the most comfortable

Ash: Reading this sentence triggered my gag reflex

Candi: oml so true Addie!! I'm holding onto it forever, my children will be inheriting it

Me: well, maybe not that long

Ash: Her kids are gonna disinherit her...

Shaking my head, a smile on my lips, I settle for a loungewear set, one that is made of the velvetiest gauzy material. The oversized dull grey buttoned shirt hangs loosely on my frame, only a few buttons in the middle done, matching the equally breezy bottoms.

I take my sweet time, from brushing my hair to moisturising my body, the entire routine takes up a good hour and when I do finally go downstairs, I'm delighted to be welcomed by streamers and balloons scattered all over the place.

Laura is never not prepared.

My awe only increases when I enter the lounge, though my admiring is cut short when the bell rings. That was quick.

Opening the door, I find Ashley and Candice standing outside.

Ash is in a pastel blue cropped sweater, which she's paired with white wide leg sweat pants whereas Candi is sporting an oversized Manchester United sweatshirt that I know for a fact does not belong to her, one side of it tucked into black leggings.

In Ash's arms is a bundle of white and speckled grey fur whom upon spotting, I coo at "You brought my sweet Coco with you!"

The British Shorthair hears her name and peeks up with wide blue eyes at me and I feel myself melting at her pale pink sweater-the Ralph Lauren one I got for her.

Noah bought Coco for Ash after her parents' divorce, she was struggling with her new reality. Not coping well with the back of forth of her mother and father's houses so Noah wanted to give her a constant-someone who would be there when we couldn't.

Coco has been by Ash's side ever since.

A cold breeze makes it's way inside, raising goosebumps on my legs as I usher the girls inside.

"You're thinking what I'm thinking." Ash exchanges a look with me, the stare only broken when she glances at the redhead.

I nod "I most certainly am."

Candi throws her arms up, exasperated, she complains "You've been looking at me weird ever since I picked you up" she points a finger at Ash, then turns to me "and now that you have joined in as well, please enlighten me to what those looks are about."

Ash encourages me to do just that, letting Coco down and leisurely roam around "Where did that come from?" I point to the maroon sweatshirt, she follows my finger, brows furrowed in confusion she says "Adidas."

I pursue my lips to keep from smiling, Ash takes over "Mhm but I'm fairly sure I saw Mase wearing an exact replica just a week ago." at that Candice's cheeks turn a shade darker than her hair "Well yeah, he let me borrow it."

The answer causes Ash and I to exchange another amused look. Mase is very-and when I say very, I mean it-particular about who he gives his cherished football merch to and Candi just happens to be one of the very few people he's prepared to give it up to.

"Okay stop doing that." She slides in between us, blocking our ecstatic telekinesis stare down "I was cold and he did the gentlemanly thing by giving it to me. That's it. End of story."

I decide to drop the topic for now, instead asking "I thought you two were supposed to come over with the guys, after the trials."

"Yeah, we thought that as well up until the boys insisted that we go home, saying-and i quote 'this way there's suspense and we stay in your minds all the time'" Ash answers shaking her head at the their antics.

"Where's Tris though?" Candi asks and as if she's summoned him, the bell rings. I get up to open the door and this time, the mischievous blond haired boy whom I call my partner in crime grins at me.

"Here's Johnny!" Tris yells, giving me a disturbing view of a creepy grin paired with comically wide eyes, I scoff at the reference "I'm tempted to leave you outside to freeze, partner." 

"My love, it's only the starting of fall." he informs, waving his arms behind him to show me the gold and orange leafed trees outside.

"Is that why you're wearing a sweater, dear Tristan?" I counter but he merely shrugs "I look too good in it to pass the opportunity." I sigh, opening the door wide for him "Just get in."

He greets the girls and the four of us finally head to the lounge, all three of them admire the decor with wide excited eyes.

"Laura." The trio exclaims together and I chuckle "You guessed it." we take seats on the fluffy couch "So what do you guys want to do while we wait?" I turn to face them.

"The first mandatory step, music." Candice announces, our gazes goong to Tris expectantly, being the musician and dj that he is, he always has all the best playlists.

"Come on, hand it over!" I order motioning for his phone but he crosses his arms, that trouble promising smirk growing. I happen to know exactly where this is heading.

"Nope, not so easily. You guys each have to do one thing I tell you." he begins, just as I predicted, with a smug expression, one that morphs into glee when he spots Coco enter the room.

"Baby Coco! Come to uncle Tris." As he bends to reach for her, she turns around and trots over to the sherpa ottoman next to the windows. Effectively dismissing Tris.

Coco is a very moody feline, she's not always the warmest towards males. The only exceptions have been Noah and Mase, for some reason of her own.

The rest of the boys she's hot and cold over-something that always aggravated Tris, Daniel and Aaron who only ever wanted to pet and love her. It's all quite amusing. 

"Here we go again. Addie, just take my phone." Ash bring my attention back to her as she passes her phone to me, taking it, I scroll through the playlists in attempts of finding an apt one.

I look up.

"Really Ash? You have 'songs I'd get railed to' but not a simple part playlist." I ask incredulously, with eyes as wide as saucers she snatches her phone back from me.

"Hey, she has her priorities straight." Candice points at a snickering Tris.

"Anyways, what's it going to be, ladies?" Tris continues with a borderline evil smirk.

All three of us share a look.

It's a trivial and almost stupid matter but that dosen't stop us.

We give in.

"What do you want, Hawthorn?" Candi asks hesitantly making Tris' smirk turn into a full wicked grin.

"Okay listen up." He starts "When the guys arrive and after we've had dinner, Ash you have to take off an article of clothing and it cannot be something stupid like socks or shoes. You have to do it out of the blue and it should be infront of everyone." Tris reveals and our eyes widen as I try to stifle a laugh at Ashs horrified expression and from the corner of my eye I see Candi do the same.

"You pervert!" Ash yells, pointing an accusing finger at him and I hide my lips in my mouth, trying hard not to record the scene.

"That I may be but either way you still have to do it." Tris drawls, shrugging his shoulders, the very epitome of casual.

While on the other hand, Ash's nostrils flare in rage. Candi and I look at her with pleading eyes, part of us just wanting to witness the chaos that will surely ensue.

"Fine!" Ash fumes, clenching her fists and glaring holes at a smirking Tris who now turns to us.

"As for you two, you have to convince everyone to play truth or dare, I'll take it from there." He tells us, leaning comfortably against the couch. His simple request comes as a shock to me. He can't be letting us go that easily.

"What!? That's it?!" Ash shreiks and I cover my mouth with my hand however Tris does not have one ounce of humanity in him so he chuckles wholeheartedly.

"Just wait and watch Ashley, you'll thank me later and since you already got a dare, you won't be a victim of what I'll be doing later tonight." Tris elaborates.

Yep, that's the Tris we're used to.

"You're fucking insane Tristan." Ash glares at him "It runs in the family, practically gallops." Another shrug from the smug blond.

"What are you up to partner?" I ask partly amused and partly scared because if there's one thing I've learned it's that Tristan Finnigan Hawthorn can be reckless as fuck.

"You'll find out soon enough partner. For now just put on the music." he declares, grandly handing over his phone.

As I connect his phone to the speakers of only the first level and as music starts to blare through the speakers, we hear the bell ring. This time, Candi goes to open the door.

I turn to see the three boys standing next to each other with matching stoic expressions. Their faces giving away precisely nothing. Even Coco perks up.

Caleb is now in a black hoodie and black jeans. He's paired them with a white denim jacket and white Air Force 1s, looking so effortlessly good that it's hard for me to look away. He gives me a nod in greeting, his signature smirk making an appearance on his face.

I avert my eyes to see Mason looking at Candi with slightly wide eyes, his gaze shuffling from his sweatshirt in her to her face. A soft smile curls at his lips.

Tris is the first one to break the silence

"So who's our captain?" he questions.

The three boys look at each other and finally turn to us to answer.

☼ 𝘼𝙐𝙏𝙃𝙊𝙍'𝙎 𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙀 ☼

Dun dun dunn...cliffhanger
Who do you guys want the captain to be?
Reading this chapter before editing it made me want to bang my head against a wall.
I-I don't even know what to say and why is it so bloody long.
Hope you liked the chapter
Until next time
xoxo
💙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.7K 1.7K 34
"What the hell did you do!?" I heard a feminine voice behind me. I groaned and turned around to meet a very angry face. I have never seen a girl this...
180K 5.6K 34
"𝑨𝒏𝒅 π’Šπ’‡ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π‘«π’†π’—π’Šπ’ π’˜π’†π’“π’† 𝒕𝒐 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒆𝒆 π’šπ’π’–, 𝒉𝒆'𝒅 π’Œπ’Šπ’”π’” π’šπ’π’–'𝒓𝒆 π’†π’šπ’†π’” 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕." π‘©π’π’π’Œ 1 Copyright...
3.1M 78.1K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...
624 8 42
A Bucket List. The one thing, you'll find in every girls journal. That is if she keeps one. I have one too, and trust me its as crazy as it can get...