Guarding Her

By Ember_In_The_Ashes

Mason rubs his nose against my cheek. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you. If he even comes close to... More

Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven
Thirty-eight
Thirty-nine
Thank you!
Sequel!

Twenty-six

24.3K 954 258
By Ember_In_The_Ashes

I hope you guys like this one, don't forget to vote and comment. Comments are my favorite 😂
love you guys!
Enjoy!

Clarke's POV

I turn toward Oliver and smile, handing him his plate.

"We need to talk." He abruptly states.

***

I furrow my brows together taking a seat at the dinner table. "Okay, what about?" I take a bite of spaghetti while Oliver takes the seat directly across from me.

"Well I have an old friend that I invited to supper tomorrow. I was wondering if that was okay with you?" I raise my brows in surprise, he's an adult he doesn't have to ask me, but he did anyways. How sweet of him.

I smile sweetly at him "that sounds great. Would you like me to fix dinner?" Oliver nods quickly swallowing his bite "that would be wonderful, thank you sweetie." He smiles.

_____________________

I toss the salad together while humming a tune to myself dancing weirdly. I hear a deep chuckle behind me turning around to find Mason leaning against the island staring at me adoringly. I stick my tongue out at him scrunching my nose up and continue dancing. Oliver's luckily upstairs getting ready for his friend to come over, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.

I smooth down my black dress Oliver wanted me to wear sighing. I move over to the oven and open it up to check the chicken. Once I see it's done I pull it out to let it cool, turning the oven off. I turn around but yelp when my face smacks into a hard chest. I giggle as Mason picks me up hugging me to him. He inhales the skin below my ear, sighing in content. "Oh that smell."

Mason quickly puts me down, turning invisible when we hear footsteps coming down the stairs. I turn around to see Oliver enter the kitchen adjusting his tie. He's wearing a nice button up with dress pants. He sniffs the air spotting me while smiling.

"Hey sweetie, smells great." He kisses my cheek, making me slightly uncomfortable.

He starts to wrap his arms around my waist when the doorbell goes off. Oliver chuckles "I'll get it." He whispers in my ear before walking off. I reach out blindly to feel Mason's hand grasp mine, I can feel he's so tense. I turn back to finish the salad while Mason wraps his arms around my waist. I can hear Oliver greeting his friend who oddly sounds Familiar.

Oliver turns the corner and a tall muscular man follows close behind, both laughing at whatever they were just talking about. The man lifts his head and I'm shocked at who I see.

"Mr. Smith?" I tilt my head smiling.

Mr. Smith turned towards me with a confused look on his face before grinning. "Clarke! I thought the address sounded familiar." He chuckled. I just smile and place the food on the table, Mr. Smith jumps to take the chicken from me trying to be a gentleman.

When I go to sit down Mr. Smith is quick to pull out my chair for me, then take the seat beside me. I blush not used to someone doing this, I look up to see a lightly miffed Oliver. We start eating while both men converse back and forth.

"I had no idea you have a daughter Oliver."

Oliver swallows his mouth full of food "well I married her mother, and it's the best thing I've ever done." Oliver says slowly looking me in the eye. I gulp and look down at my plate pushing my food around. Quite a character...

"How do you know her?" Oliver turns to Mr. Smith accusingly. "She's one of my pupils." Mr. Smith smiles down at me proudly. He leans across the table and whispers playfully "don't tell anyone but she might just be my favorite." I blush furiously and look down.

After eating the men go to the living room to visit some more, I started on the dishes when
Mr. Smith asked if I would join them. I nod and slowly make my way in with them. I sit on the couch as Oliver sits down in the arm chair across from me. I expect Mr. Smith to take the other arm chair but he takes a seat beside me.

After listening to them both reminisce for awhile I eventually zone out. I'm brought out of my daze when Oliver stands up announcing he had to use the 'little boys room'. Once the subtle click of the bathroom door was hear Mr. Smith turned to me.

"You look lovely tonight." He smiles softly down at me. I blush and look down muttering a small "thank you."

"How have you been? Are you doing alright?" He asks in worry.

I look up at him smiling softly "I happen to have someone who means the world to me that I can lean on. So yes, I am doing great."

____________________

Mason breathes heavily running his hands all over my body, something I notice he does when worried about my safety.  I grab his face "Mason, I'll be fine. It's just a few hours. This is nothing. I'll be safe, I promise."

"N-no." He stutters bringing my hands from his face, holding them to his chest instead. "Anything could happen. And if it does I won't be here to protect you." He whispers out in anguish.

I feel horrible trying to calm him down when on the inside I'm just as nervous as he is. Mason has to leave tomorrow, by the time I wake up he will be gone, and it's taking its toll on the both of us. I don't want to be away from him for even a day. I've refused to admit it but,

I love Mason.

As more than a guardian. More than I should. And the heart breaking thing about it is, I know know he doesn't feel the same way.  All he sees is the little girl hulled up in her room, coloring in a coloring book because she doesn't have any friends. Not that I blame any of the other kids, heck even my own dad left me.

But I have to get over him. I try everyday to not let his innocent touches effect me. Because he will never want what I want.

And I need to face that before I'm hurt even more than I am now.

Mason picks me up opening my window. "W-what are you doing?"

He ignores my question tucking me tighter into his chest jumping out of my window. I close my eyes.

Waiting

Fearing

Dreading

When I don't feel anything happen I open my eyes to see that I'm flying.

High above the tree tops, the sun setting leaving a beautiful hue of purples and pinks. I look up at Mason to find him already staring at me, seeming calm now.

I watch his beautiful wings as they do their intended job for the first time in front of me since I was six.

Mason holds me tight as we land on a bluff above the forest. I was too enraptured with the beautiful being holding me that I didn't even notice it was already dark.

Mason leans down to my ear and whispers while pointing at the sky "I happen to know you love the stars." I gasp when I realize they shine so much brighter from up here. There are no street lights, no cars  to dilute the brightness of the beautiful night sky. It also happens to be a full moon.

"It's breathtaking." I gaze upwards.

"I know." Mason breathes, hot breath hitting the side of my face causing a shiver to run down my spine. It doesn't even look like he's looking towards the sky but I'm to enthralled to look away.

I feel Mason pick my body up and lay me down beside him, his wings encasing us almost as one.

Thats how the night went on, a small girl with big problems gazing up at the stars while an angel held her as close as physically possible, whispering promises of forever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

884 179 40
[Updates every Tuesday] He is the Guardian and does everything he can to protect those he loves. Everyone has their nightmares, and the ones he lost...
19.9K 386 21
("I wasn't supposed to fall for you.....I was supposed to protect you" "Maybe you were supposed to do both" Nolan whispered before re-connecting the...
20.1K 1.1K 60
Formerly known as "The Heartthrob Won't Leave Me Alone!" - "God Blake, you're a true enigma" Her eyes widened slightly at his words. "I don't underst...
290 8 24
"I try to speak but the smoke is almost choking me. He grabs my wrist and in a quick move he has me pressed against the brick wall that was behind me...