Unknown Bond

By achudasama1

Geet and Maan have both faced their share of heartaches separately. They are no longer the same people that t... More

Dedication, Thanks and Disclaimer
Awards Won!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 18

75 12 94
By achudasama1

Work was a busy bee hive of activity as Geet and her team were in the midst of conducting group and individual sessions with various company employees the entire week.   One of the most popular sessions was stress management and most people were surprised by the many solutions that the team had proposed.   Some of these suggestions included spending time with one's family or loved ones, exercising, reading a good book, meditating, listening to music, taking up a hobby and keeping a gratitude journal.

The next few weeks would be telling as the adult participants chose one of these many pursuits outlined for practice and reported back on how they were feeling.   Geet was very sure that the results would be staggering and positive, if instructions were followed.

From experience, she knew that if an individual left work in the workplace and found at least 15 to 30 minutes every day for themselves, it would make a world of difference.   The problem was that patients would find excuses to not do the work because it was easy to remain stagnant.   In general, change was one of those things that humans found extremely intimidating.   For some, introducing something that could be life altering and possibly beneficial, was a very scary concept.

Geet had to remind her team to remain patient and understanding with their participants while remaining on point with their overall message.   Collectively, they had stream lined the assorted presentations, the numerous ideas that went along with them and the associated home work while keeping the workers from the same company in their corresponding groups.

This type of classification ensured a cohesive bond of unity between the employees while addressing the company's comprehensive agenda of wellness.   Since this was a pilot program, many steps required constant monitoring and tweaking.   Geet was grateful that her team along with Kathy were always willing to help and face the many hurdles and difficulties that came their way.

As Rohan and Maya's plays neared to curtain call, Geet had to rely heavily on her learned and practiced stress alleviation techniques.   Life in the Raichand household was abuzz this week with dialogue preparation and reciting, countless costume fittings and adjustments and reassuring the twins constantly that everything was going to work out.

Today was D-Day and Geet was both excited and nervous for opening night.   On this Friday, her focus was divided between her personal responsibilities and working towards the success of the hospital's new initiative.   She was glad that the team had decided not to run any group sessions on the last work day of the week.   This way they had time to complete the necessary paper work and update the corresponding reports.

Geet was in the process of finalizing one such report, when she heard a knock on her open door and looked sideways from her computer screen.   Kathy was standing in the entry way with her glasses on top of her head as she relayed sternly:   "Geet, if you don't get a move on soon, you are going to be late.   You do realize that?"

Geet frowned and then turned her wrist over to observe the time.   Seeing that it was close to 4:00 pm, Geet's eyes widened in shock.   This whole week had her losing track of time and to have this process repeated on the day that her babies were performing was unacceptable to her.

Geet continued putting the finishing touches on her report quickly and replied in passing:   "Oh Kathy, I don't know what I would do without you.   Thanks for the warning.   I just need five more minutes and then I am out of here!   Will I see you tonight?"

Kathy could not suppress the smile that brought cheerfulness to her countenance:   "I wouldn't miss it for the world!   It will be like watching my own grand kids performing.   Since my son's kids are all grown up, I miss those kindergarten days.   I will see you at 7:00 pm sharp."

Geet was in the process of saving her report as she took a huge cleansing breath and made a mental list of all that she needed to take home for the weekend.   She nodded at Kathy in acknowledgement and started to gather her reading material.   She glanced over at Sarah's desk to notice her lost in thought instead of writing her reports.

As Geet shut off her desktop, she put forth a query to the reflective Sarah:   "What's the matter?   Are you stuck on something?"

A startled Sarah came out of her musings and tried to get back to the present.   She shook her head as if to empty her mind of all notions and quietly replied:   "I am fine Geet.   I will see you tonight.   I hear that Laura will be unable to make it."

Geet was not fully convinced with Sarah's response as she heeded the tone and expression on her face.   She was caught between her duty to her family and her friend possibly needing her but she decided to concentrate on the former conundrum and address Sarah's problem at a later date.   Hopefully, on her own Sarah would be able to figure out a way to solve whatever was troubling her.

But Geet could never bear any form of distress in Sarah and decided that maybe a teasing distraction was required to remove the worry lines:   "Yeah, Laura informed me of that on Wednesday.   Apparently, the person that shall remain nameless is still in town.   But Rob is going to come tonight and he seemed eager to relive his childhood.   Maybe you guys can come together?   It will save you the hassle of driving.   What do you think?"

Sarah made an unladylike noise that resembled a snort as she considered Geet seriously and defensively spoke:   "Geet, don't you dare get any ideas in that thick skull of yours!   The basis of our promised pact does not give you the right to bind me with that blonde annoyance.   I will come on my own, thank you very much!"

A smirking Geet shrugged her shoulders as her hazel eyes danced with mischief:   "Hey, I was just trying to help.   As long as you get there, I don't care how you arrive.   The twins will be so happy to see you.   And um... just to let you know, you have to sit beside Rob.   Anyways, see you later."

Geet beat a hasty retreat from her shared office as the sounds of her laughter along with Kathy's, drowned out the protests and allegations from a flustered Sarah.   Geet couldn't help the sniggers that stayed with her as she walked towards the parking lot to head home.

*******************

Geet would not have been able to arrive punctually at the venue without Nausheen's assistance in getting the kids ready in their costumes.   During the drive, Rohan had appeared quite nervous and remained silent while Maya seemed very hyper and unusually talkative.   These reactions had Geet perplexed to no end as each of them required a different form of encouragement.   She was definitely at her wits end.

However, the experienced Nausheen came to the rescue of her kids with her calming and wise words:   "Both of you, listen to me!   Regardless of what happens, Mama and I love you very much!   Do everything that you did at home but just for Mama and me.   I know that my prince will be a smart little piglet.   While my baby will be the cutest red riding hood ever!    Do you believe me?"

Geet noticed from the rear view mirror as both her kids nodded their heads vigorously.   Rohan held on to Nausheen's hand and Maya leaned slightly from her car seat to hug the latter awkwardly.   The adoptive grandmother gave a kiss to both of the kids on the top of their heads. The sight in the back seat of her Escalade dampened Geet's eyes in gratitude and appreciation of 'her Amma'.

Geet handed the tickets to Nausheen as she walked towards the back stage to drop off her well dressed angels.   Wishing them luck with a tight hug and kiss on their cheeks, Geet left the twins in the capable hands of a lively Katie Lacey.   The kids became engaged in their own tasks allowing Geet to escape without notice.

As Geet moved towards the small auditorium, the bright florescent lights were still on as the many parents and relatives tried to find their designated seats.   Geet recalled her row number and looked for Nausheen.   She caught her speaking with Kathy from a distance.   This was the first time that the two ladies were meeting but it was clear that the introductions were complete and both of them were already comfortable with each other.

Geet had chosen a simple above the knee full sleeve A-line white dress with a large black lace border appliqué.   She had no time to style her hair and had gathered her curly tresses to the side with a decorative silver hair clamp.   Long intricate chandelier black earrings and Michael Kors' black high heel pumps accessorized the outfit.   Geet took her seat and searched the place for Sarah and Rob along with other parents that she knew.

Kathy looked on at the interaction, as Nausheen turned to Geet and held her hand for a squeeze.   Geet met Nausheen's gaze and retorted to the quiet inquiry with a smile:   "They are fine, Amma.   Don't worry!   Help me spot Sarah, hmm?"

Kathy was touched and amazed by the displayed emotional bond between the mother and daughter.   To ease Nausheen's concerns, she added to the conversation by regaling old memories of her children and grand children's recitals and sporting events.   Geet recognized Kathy's tactic and showed her admiration with a wink which broadened Kathy's smile.

With 10 minutes to spare, Sarah was standing in front of Geet with Rob following close behind.    Geet's giggle mixed in with her welcome to Sarah and she cordially responded to Rob's greeting as well.   Sarah glowered on and realized that she had no choice but to sit beside Rob as making an issue about the arrangements would be obvious.

As Geet looked around further to keep her anxiety at bay, her eyes squinted and she tilted her head in a particular direction.   Sarah discerned the movement and looked in the same line of vision as recognition flooded her features.

"Isn't that Nikhil Sawant from SRK Conglomerates?   Wonder what he is doing here?   Oh my, who is that handsome specimen standing beside him?   Geet, do you know him?   Man, he is hot!"   Sarah was defenseless in keeping the awe and exclamation out of her voice causing Geet to take her turn to glare at her.   On the other hand, Rob's brows furrowed in consternation and irritation.

He readily piped up to admonish Sarah:   "Shhh, decorum Miss Harris!   And he is not that good looking.   Jeez!   Plus, Mr. Sawant is a client of ours.   We should not be ogling them in this manner."

Sarah looked at Rob and addressed him in a mocking manner:   "God, Rob!   Please try to enter the twenty-first century.   Decorum?   Really?   I am free to 'ogle' any man I want.   I don't need your permission."   Sarah's air quoting and taunting response had left Rob in state of disappointment as he huffed in rejection.

Geet was about to address her colleagues when her sight met with that of the standing specimen.   They both stared at each other without giving an inch or deflecting their eyes away.    The slight dimming of the lights was an indication that the show was about to start.   This caused the good looking man to lower his gaze and be seated.   By this time, Geet was also successful in averting her glimpse.

Although, her mistake was to look at her best friend, who had her jaw almost dropping to the floor and her other colleague's eyes had become more saucer like.   Rob remained quiet in his politeness but Sarah immediately inquired in a shrill whisper that Geet was certain could be heard two rows down where Nikhil had settled:   "What was that?   You know him, don't you?    Tell me!"

Geet's saving grace were the lights that had dimmed completely to plunge the audience in complete darkness.   It also veiled the redness that permeated her cheeks and neck out of embarrassment and hid her feelings of disorientation that left her slightly breathless.   However, she controlled her voice and murmured:   "Not now, Sarah.   The show is about to start."

*******************

The four plays put on by the day care students were a raging success if the applause, cheering and the occasional whistles were anything to go by.   As the performances came to an end, all the kids left the stage after their bows to rush into the waiting arms and warm compliments of their respective families.   Rohan and Maya were no different as they spotted Geet, Nausheen and Sarah.

As the kids were engulfed in hugs, covered in kisses and patted on the back for their roles, Rohan perked up to ask curiously:   "So Mama, did you really like it?   Because I forgot my line about throwing the apples.   I was so mad."

Geet ruffled Rohan's hair lovingly and answered honestly:   "Nobody could tell, honey!   And you did remember after a while.   You were great, Rohan!   I am so proud of you!"

Maya peered at everyone from Nausheen's protective hold and responded with her own critique:   "Sam and I were good too, right?   He looked scary as a wolf.   He told me that his aunt made his costume."

After making her announcement, Maya identified Sam in the crowd and frantically waved her hands to garner attention while screaming:   "Sam!   Sam!   Over here, Sam!   Mama thinks we were great too.   Don't you Mama?"

Five pairs of eyes in curiosity, wonder and astonishment turned back to notice the little girl, her sibling and the rest of the adults.   In her mortification, Geet deciphered vexation and impatience in one set of whiskey coloured eyes while realization and remembrance were present in another set of friendly eyes that addressed her directly:   "Hey Geet!   Fancy meeting you here.   Are those two adorable cherubs yours?   We would love to meet them."

And with those few sentences, Geet knew that her fate had been sealed and that there was no escape from this encounter.   Geet sighed and prayed fervently in her mind:  "Oh no!   Why me?    Why now?   God give me strength so that I can get through this.   I am relying on you."

*******************

Author's Note:

Welcome to the Friday update!   This week the reads, comments and votes were phenomenal!   Unknown Bond is the featured read for the Milk and Cookies Book Club as the "Biweekly Shake" from July 31, 2017 to August 14, 2017 inclusively.   Members of the club have to read the first two chapters of the book and provide insightful comments.   All the members have been so kind and wonderful.   A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF THEM!

This week the Raichand family and all the Khurana members were present!   So how was it?

What did you think about Geet's way of dealing with stress?

Do you believe that Geet is merely teasing Sarah about Rob or does she want to play cupid?

What did you think about Nausheen's encouragement for Rohan and Maya?

What is your opinion about the fixed and unwavering looks that took place between the good looking man and Geet?

And of course, the burning question, how do you think the introductions between the families is going to occur?   Any predictions?   I would love to hear from you!   Please enlighten me.

So the book contest is still running!   Last week, the theme of Chapter 3 was interpreted correctly by one of the Book Club members so 16 chapters require postulations on the emotion, feeling or incidence as it relates to mental health.   All types of guesses are welcomed!   If accurate, I will read the first chapter of your book and provide comments along with a shout out to the winner on my conversation board!

Please share your views and comments because they mean the most.   And if you enjoyed or liked the chapter, feel free to show your affection by clicking on the little star!   Until next time...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.4M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...