My Dark Knight

By _imperfect

In the era where swords rule, where women consider their modesty their greatest virtue. Where a man would kil... More

Chapter one
Chapter Two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
chapter 46
chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue
NOT A CHAPTER

Chapter 37

213K 5.7K 384
By _imperfect

"Come young one. It's nae polite to make someone wait. I see ye mother didna teach ye any manners."

Her heart beat faster and louder, his taunting words only heightening her fears. She couldn't breath, couldn't look away. Frozen in a time she had no wish to be.
Tears flowed from her face as she stared at her mothers anguished filled gaze. She was hopeless to do anything, trapped.

"I suppose y'er da didna teach ye either." The man snarled.

At the mention of her father, Sapphire turned to see him laying in a pool of blood, a murderous expression on his bruised face.

Her heart gave a lurch.

"Sapphire-"

"Do not take my daughters name with your filthy tongue." Edward snarled despite the pain he was going through. He would continue to fight until the life left him.

The man lifted his dagger, plundering it in her fathers heart, his blood splattering on his face, her mothers cry of agony echoing in the room.
Sapphires tears ceased to flow as she stared at the vacant eyes of her father. She welcomed the numbness as it slowly began its treacherous journey across her body.
Her mother cast surreptitious looks her way, her soul already gone, the only ounce which was left was to keep her daughter safe.

The image in her mind took a grotesque turn. Her fathers image melted away to be replaced by Tristan. The man with a beard stained with blood leered down at her husband.

Sapphire couldn't breath. She felt trapped. She banged on the walls surrounding her, willing them to release her. She needed to get out. Sapphire tried to scream all in vain. No sound came out of her mouth. She watched in horror as the man lifted the triangular dagger high above his head, aiming for Tristan's heart.

"Tristan!"

Sapphire came awake with a jolt, sweat covering her person. Her heart beat frantically in her chest, the fear which held her in a vice grip refusing to release it's hold. Her harsh breathing reached her ears as she stared at her trembling hands, a glance to her right showed an empty space.

"Tristan..." Sapphire whispered, her words choked with tears. Her pale, tear streaked face looking around the room, he wasn't there. He was gone.

Tristan quietly opened the door to his chambers, being careful not to disturb Sapphire. He closed the door and turned around to see Sapphire frantically trying to get out of bed, her legs tangling in the furs.
Tristan hurried towards her, his brows furrowed. Grabbing her arms, he pulled her towards him.

"Love, what is amiss?" Tristan questioned.

Mumbled words which he could not understand were his answer.

"Sapphire! Sapphire!" Tristan shook her, hugging her to him. She wasn't answering him.

"It's alright, I am here. Everything shall be fine." Tristan soothed as he rocked them back and forth, trying to comfort her and understand what had her so troubled. His own mind troubled to see her in such a state.

"Shite!" His eyes widened in fear as he realized her nightmares. He was ten times a fool, he shouldn't have left her alone for such a long period, especially at night. She was trembling uncontrollably, mumbling incoherently.

"Hush now. No one can harm you here. Hush, love." Tristan soothed, his heart pounding deafeningly in his ears.

He closed his eyes in anguish as he continued to rock her trembling form back and forth, whispering sweet nothings. Praying with everything within that she'd would be alright.

Sapphire slowly became aware of someone calling her name. She recognized the voice, yet she couldn't place it. But even in her subconscious, the voice brought along with it a certain warmth. Next, she registered she was in someone's arms, held tightly against their chest as their hand ran along her spine, up and down. The gesture was calming, soothing. She became aware of the feather light kisses on her hair, the hard sinew of muscle pressed against her. Her breathing slowly began to return to normal, her trembling beginning to cease.
Sapphire lifted her head from against his chest to see Tristan's hauntingly beautiful features watching her, what she saw had the tears ruthlessly releasing their hold, as if a dam had been unleashed. Both from happiness and sorrow.
Never had she seen such emotion on her husbands face. His features were a mask of agony and torture, anguish. His pain filled eyes watched her with grief and relief.
His taunt jaw slowly relaxed as his thumbs wiped away her tears, his hands cupping her face, his lips giving her a chaste kiss, one full of love.

"Oh, Tristan.." Sapphire whispered as she threw her arms around his neck, hugging him close.

"I'm here, no one will harm you." He whispered, his words laced with sorrow. He would never leave her alone, especially at night.

"You ignorant buffoon! I was worried for you." Sapphire sniffed, still managing to call him names.

"I see you are feeling up to par." Tristan said dryly, trying to mask the unease he had felt, was still coursing through him. He held her tighter against him, not willing to let her go.

Tristan led Sapphire over to the bed, laying down and pulling her atop him so she was curled on him, her head on his chest. He ran his hand along her back, while one arm held her to him.

When her breathing had turned back to normal, her body less tense, Tristan quietly spoke.

"Would you like to talk about your nightmare?"

Sapphire shuddered, not wanting to recall the all to vivid dream.

"No."

"As you wish." Tristan whispered as he placed a tender kiss on her hair.

"When Asher was learning to reuse his leg, he would often fall. I found it quite entertaining, naturally, I would laugh. Quite often as well. One day Asher was annoyed and my laughter did not help, therefor he kicked me. I had a bloody bruised leg but I could not stop laughing. Asher honestly seemed as if he was sulking." Tristan said with a snicker, the memory pleasantly vivid in his mind.

"That was not very kind of you." Sapphire mumbled. She felt him shrug a broad shoulder.

"Perhaps, but it was verra amusing." Tristan smiled, his distraction working.

"Unkind." Sapphire whispered, fighting back a yawn.

"Amusing."

"Unkind." Sapphire mumbled, succumbing to sleep.

"Amusing."

Tristan smiled slightly as silence met him. His delectable wife was asleep. Their banter had her falling asleep quickly.

Tristan absentmindedly ran his hand along Sapphires spine. She had seemed so frightened when he had entered. What could her dream have been about? He hadn't seen her this frightened with her previous night terrors. His blood turned to ice by merely recalling her state. He needed to know what she had dreamt about, he never wanted to see her in that state ever again.

"They could have sent the missive with two thoughts in mind. One being we would have her guarded more securely."

"And the other." Gerald prompted from his position across the desk when Tristan didn't elaborate. His chocolate locks falling into his eyes.

"The other," lord Rivers answered for Tristan, " is we simply do nothing. We leave her be. They want us to believe Sapphire is their target. They may want us to focus on her while their intent is something else. Or they want to see how we respond to their missive."

"That would mean we have a viper in our nest." Duncan said darkly.

"Precisely." Tristan muttered as he stared at the map laid across his desk.

"We should position men here." Tristan moved the pebbles towards the forest.

"But hidden. No one must know where they are positioned."

"Agreed." Lord Rivers said.

"Tristan, what is this area?" Lord Rivers asked as he pointed towards a rough terrain.

"They are mountains some distance away from here, I believe a journey of a day or so. If one is not careful, tis verra easy to loose oneself in the many caves." Tristan said as he stared at said mountains, memories flitting across his mind too fast for him to dwell.

"Have you ever gone?" Lord Rivers asked.

"Many times when I was younger." Tristan murmured as he diverted his attention towards the structure of the castle.

"I suppose the guards should remain as they are, no need to have them switched."

"Agreed." Gerald grunted.

"Training will have to go up a notch." Lord Rivers said as he eyed Duncan and Gerald with a smirk.

Both men groaned in sync with the other.

"Ye say it as if we doona train enough."

"Ye doona." Lord Rivers retorted,
mimicking Duncan's brogue.

Tristan smiled slightly as Duncan and Gerald bickered with lord Rivers, tuning them out slightly as he concentrated on an attack plan.

"In my humble opinion, since you attack with two swords, we are doing fairly well." Gerald tried to reason in vain.

"Sapphire can hold her own against two swords." Lord Rivers grunted with a raise of one brow.

"The lass trained with ye since she was a wee bairn. Of course she can." Duncan said in exasperation, his eyes alight with humor.

"If she heard what you said...." Lord Rivers trailed off with a wicked grin.

Tristan cleared his throat, effectively having the three men turned towards him.

" I believe we should have a look at the weaponry."

"We have swords, no need for yer fancy weapons." Duncan scoffed.

Tristan stared back impassively.

"Tristan and I will look at the weapons. Duncan," lord Rivers said addressing him, "you can battle with your sword, as long as you know how." Lord Rivers said, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

"I am a Scotsman, I ken the sword." Duncan scoffed.

"What do we do with her ladyship?" Gerald asked.

"We leave her as she is. It will give us a slight advantage over who so ever we are dealing with."

"If that is what they expect." Lord Rivers intervened.

"Correct. If their purpose is for us to be distracted, then they shall fail."

"And if that is no' their plan?" Duncan questioned, worry evident in his expression.

"It is war." Tristan answered as if that were a simple enough answer.

"In battle one can not think with emotions. If you let your emotions rule your decisions, you will inevitably regret those decisions. If you decide with a clear mind, not involving emotions, no matter how difficult it may be, the outcome may be in your favor." Lord Rivers elaborated at Duncan's confused expression.

"At what cost?" Duncan muttered is distaste, his hands curled into fists, anger emanating from his every pore.

"If planned precisely, at no cost at all. Tristan is no fool. Alexander will still be guarding Sapphire at all times. If we have more guards around Sapphire, that will be exactly what they want. After all, that is why they have sent the letter, is it not? They have us watched. What ever shall be decided, they shall know, while we have not the slightest advantage as to what they are planning. The less advantage they have, the better." Lord Rivers snapped.

Tristan's warfare expertise were by far the best he had seen, and he had seen various war tactics in his time. Tristan would never jeopardize Sapphires safety, of that he was certain. Duncan's lack of faith, although for good reason, had irritated lord Rivers to no end.
Tristan was not callous, add to that he loved Sapphire, even if the fool did not admit it to himself. He wouldn't let any harm come to her, even if it would cost him his life.

"I didnae mean to sound...." Duncan trailed off, not knowing how to apologize. It was wrong of him to think that of Tristan, especially after everything Tristan had done for him. Tristan never gave him a reason to doubt him, Duncan did not understand what overcame him.

"Like an arse? A berk?" Gerald supplied, upset himself.

"Aye."

"Tis alright, Duncan." Tristan shrugged off, not paying mind to his words.

"You two go to the training grounds, gather the rest of the men, I will be down shortly." Lord Rivers said dismissively.

"You're an arse." Gerald growled once they were out of Tristan's study.

"I ken." Duncan groaned. "I ken."

"If you know, then fix it, and soon." Gerald snapped as he lead them both down the stairs. Duncan had gotten out of line.

"Why did ye doubt Tristan?"

"I... I doona ken."

"Well, you should not have. He knows what he is doing." Gerald grunted.

"Tristan." Lord Rivers called his name, annoyed.

"Aye, my lord."

"Cut this shite." Lord Rivers growled.

"You should have explained to Duncan where he was wrong and why."

"I believe you already did so." Tristan retorted.

Lord Rivers let out a frustrated breath. The lad would never listen.

"You need not be so hard on yourself. Why can't you see yourself for the wonderful person you are?!" Lord Rivers growled.

"A cold blooded killer is a verra wonderful person." Tristan said, sarcasm lacing his words.

Lord Rivers landed a punch to Tristan's jaw faster than he could comprehend.

Tristan rubbed his now sore jaw, tasting blood. Lord Rivers hadn't lost his touch, his aching jaw was living evidence.

"Do not use that tone of voice with me." Lord Rivers menaced.

"You know as well as I, you would never let any harm come to Sapphire."

"Do you?" Tristan questioned
sardonically.

A muscle in lord Rivers jaw ticked.

"Your wife will nay like to see her
husband bloody and bruised." Lord Rivers warned.

Tristan stared stoically at lord Rivers.

"God damn it Tristan!" Lord Rivers
growled.

"You should nay take the lords name in vain." Tristan muttered offhandedly.

"Damnation!" Lord Rivers growled.

"Why are you so upset?" Tristan questioned, not understanding the older lords ire. It was amusing, just not when it was directed towards him.

"You want to know? What irritates me to know end is how you let people assume the worst of you without a single thought. If they think you're in the wrong then let them be, you will not bother yourself with correcting them.
"If that was not enough, you wouldn't care who thought what. Whether it be kin or-" Lord Rivers stopped short. Of course he wouldn't stop anyone, his kin were bastards, the lot of them.

"Let. The. Past. Go." Lord Rivers said each word slowly, carefully, looking Tristan in the eye as he spoke.

"We are your present and future. Do you understand? Your bitch of a mother and bastard of a father do not make a difference. They're gone, thankfully. Do I make myself clear?" Lord Rivers growled.

Tristan's eyes widened a fraction. He knew not what to make of lord Rivers'.........concerns. No one had ever shown an interest for him to be able to understand what to make of it. It was.....unsettling.

"Verra."

"I mean it, Tristan. Now, let's see the weaponry." Lord Rivers growled.

Tristan nodded his head, for the first time feeling as an errant child. He walked towards a portrait of the Scottish mountains, tilting it to the left. With a groan, the wall slid away to make room for a tunnel lit with torches.

"How charming." Lord Rivers said dryly as he stared at the raging flames.

Tristan ignored him, walking deeper into the tunnel, lord Rivers quick to follow. They walked until they came across a door, Tristan pushed it open, stepping aside to let lord Rivers enter.

Lord Rivers whistled long and low as he stared at the various weapons once Tristan had lit a torch. The room consisted of almost every weapon known to man. There were swords, daggers, corseques, lances, spikes, winged spears and so much more.

"Impressive." Lord Rivers breathed looking at the weapons in awe.

"Where in the devil's name did you acquire all of these weapons from?"

"Over the years." Tristan murmured nonchalantly, his gaze intent on a particular weapon.
Tristan walked towards the corseques, taking one in hand and testing it's weight. He ran his fingers lightly over the three bladed head. A deadly weapon, one he intended to use to its full advantage.
Lord Rivers lifted a morning star, testing it's weight. He ran his hand along the various armors.

"You have a wicked weapon at hand." Lord Rivers said eyeing the corseques.

"Aye, that it is." Tristan said grinning. He looked like a child, one who was given his favorite toy.

Lord Rivers watched him with a content smile on his face. For the first time, Tristan looked young and carefree. The burden he usually carried not hindering his present excitement.

"Your favorite?" Lord Rivers inquired as he lifted its twin.

"It will be as of today." Tristan answered as he placed the corseques around his waist, on the opposite side of his sword.

"Where is Sapphire?" Tristan asked as Alexander came into the great hall holding a bundle over his shoulder, a silly grin covered his face.

"She is with Gerald." Alexander answered cheekily.

"What has you grinning like a maiden?" Lord Rivers asked with a raise of his brow.

Alexander smirked.

"Tis still warm." Tristan said with a slight frown as he removed his hand from atop the bundle on Alexander's shoulder.

Alexander grinned in glee. "Aye, tis fresh.

"Is it clean?"

"Why would I do such a thing?" Alexander questioned in wonder.

"Tis better this way." Alexander said with a smirk.

"Care to explain." Lord Rivers said annoyed. He did not like being uninformed.

Alexander frowned while Tristan smirked.

"Would you like to know?"

"I believe that is why I asked." Lord Rivers said with a glare.

Tristan smirked. "We have a surprise for lady Manning."

Lord Rivers mirrored Tristan's smirk.

"Due tell."

@@@@@@

Kk, I don't think the chapters very long, but I wanted to get something up by today. hopefully the next update will be quicker and longer ;)

Vote

Comment

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Dark Age Woman By tomboylatte

Historical Fiction

47.5K 3.8K 47
Carina hopes at last to find happiness with her brave knight. Then, tragically, he falls in battle. He finds his way back to her, a changed man. Can...
76K 6.9K 41
A thousand years ago humans landed on the shores of Clairval, seeking refuge from wars, famines and disaster and forged an uneasy truce with the wild...
417 78 16
Tristan Young is, by all logical conclusions, a failure. His dream career of private investigation has left him with nothing but debt and an empty of...
420 73 28
•••••••••••••••• He took a step closer to her, and she took one away from him. "When two people make love, it is sensual, two hearts bonding, and car...