Sword Art Online-Encroaching...

By AshtonOsburn

10,000 players trapped in a video game. A small group of players push ahead of the rest progressing through t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue

Chapter 30

1 0 0
By AshtonOsburn

"So, you really want to do these quests?" Jemza turned down the alley that would lead towards the Thieves Guild while glancing over her shoulder.

"Not if you don't want to, but selfishly speaking, yes I think these would be a lot of fun." Jayce followed her into the alley just a few steps behind.

"We don't even know what they will consist of. They could get a lot more dangerous than what we did yesterday. It didn't seem like Argo knew much about them either. We'll be on our own." Jayce nodded in agreement to her assessment, but couldn't help feeling a bit excited at the prospect of what these quests might entail.

"If we get something that's out of our league we stop then. There's nothing forcing us to follow through unless we want to." He felt that was a fair compromise that would assuage her fears.

"Yeah, there's no harm in...what's the saying? Seeing how far the rabbit hole goes?" Jayce smirked in response, nodding that she had remembered the quote properly. They stopped at the brick wall and Jemza ran her hand along the portion where it met the alley until she found the depression underneath. With the press of a button it swung outward allowing them to continue towards the Infiltrator's Den.

"It's not like we don't already look the part. We both wear black and our skills really fit well into a thief type of role." Jemza shrugged leading them into the tunnel that would mark the last portion of their journey towards the guild.

"I think you just want to see Rose again." Jayce rolled his eyes sarcastically and reached out to grab her shoulder. He pulled her to a stop and spun her around so he could see her face.

"Drop it alright? I'll take whatever you throw at me when you want to have fun, but stop accusing me of that. I don't like it." He made sure his tone was as serious as possible. It was important that she understood that he wasn't as weak willed as she thought. Especially not after the last 24 hours.

"Alright, sorry. Never seen you so serious. I'm glad you weren't undressing her with your eyes last time." She answered him while forcing a smile. It might take a little time, but now that they both knew how each other felt he could work to show her that he only cared about looking at one person. That very thought gave him an idea that might allow him a small bit of revenge for what she tried to pull this morning. Summoning up all his courage he held her arms gently before looking up and down her body.

"Nah, I only do that with you." The moment he finished the sentence he spun away from her and continued into the tunnel. It was a gamble considering they were most likely outside of the <<Safe Zone>> of Urbus by now. If she wanted to attack him, it would cause real damage now. It was worth it to know he had put her off guard for once. As that thought ran through his mind he was pulled around and pushed against the side of the tunnel. This felt like déjà vu except that Jemza didn't look angry this time. He had to suck in a breath of air as she brought her face close enough that their noses touched.

"Then you best figure out a way around the harassment system." She let him go and without missing a beat she turned and walked away. It took a few seconds for him to regain his senses and to realize that he never had her off guard. She turned it on him without hesitation and once more he knew he lost. She reached down to her hip and pulled the dagger free. She slid the blade across her hand drawing a glowing red line of damage. Jayce did the same on the edge of his sword as they reached the end of the tunnel and placed their hands on the plaque that would open the way to the tavern.

The hidden doorway swung open and within moments they were standing inside the Infiltrator's Den. The patrons seated at tables looked up from their drinks and gave nods of recognition. It was still strange how this entire area felt like it was real and not just filled with NPC's. The way they nodded or raised their glasses made it seem like they truly recognized the pair from their last visit. Maybe it was part of the programming algorithms that as they completed objectives for the guild the members would become friendlier.

"Ah! You've returned at last! Come, come!" Rose weaved her way through the bar reaching out towards the two with her hands. She leaned in between them, wrapping an arm around each of them in a hug.

"We have the documents you asked for." Jayce opened his inventory and found the quest item he had received last night. With a tap it materialized into his hand and he held the folder towards her.

"Oh, I like a man who gets right down to business without beating around the bush. Just remember that all work and no play makes for a very uneventful life." She turned on her heel motioning for them to follow. Jayce made sure to look her in the eyes as they spoke. This time his eyes didn't wander and he could only hope Jemza would notice. He could already sense her irritation rising next to him as they made their way into Rose's office.

"It was a little tricky getting in, but it all worked out." Jayce set the folder down on her desk. She took a seat in her chair and flipped it open scanning over the papers inside.

"You never told me your names last time you were here." She closed the contents and leaned back smiling at the pair. Jayce glanced over at his companion who could only shrug in response.

"Sorry, I never realized that. I'm Jayce."

"Jemza." Jayce couldn't help but notice the flatness in her voice. Rose shifted her gaze between the pair before placing her arms back on the table.

"Well, Jayce and Jemza, I could really use a pair like you. The guild could use you, rather. There was a time when we weren't just a small band of thieves hiding in this hole." There was a longing in her voice that was hard not to notice.

"Where else would thieves belong?" Jemza's voice was flippant and whether she meant it or not Jayce glared at her for being so rude. He looked back at Rose whose smile was gone.

"If only things were as black and white as you must see them. Let me make things clear to you. You see us as petty criminals don't you?" Rose began speaking, focusing in on Jemza.

"I..."

"Quiet, I wasn't looking for an answer." Rose cut her off and Jemza sat back fearfully. Neither had heard Rose speak like she was now. It was commanding and passionate, but also dangerous.

"Rose..." A quick look from the redhead silenced Jayce as well.

"Do you know how many of us have died? How many continue to die? I've watched friends cut down before my eyes, helpless to do anything. Let me paint you a picture. Imagine Jayce tied to the floor, stripped naked. You, are chained to the wall as a man holds your face so you cannot look away. You cry out, but no one listens or cares. Each desperate plea you make only draws laughter from the people circling his body. The first sword that pierces his body is done so slowly that it enrages you. A fist to your stomach shuts you up and once more your face is twisted towards them as they continue to slowly and mercilessly bleed Jayce out before your eyes. Then again...if all you see him as is a thief with no heart then I suppose you wouldn't care. Would you?"

"That's..." Jemza was visibly shaking now. How could this possibly be part of the quest line? Rose was far too advanced to be a simple NPC. There was something bigger at play here. Perhaps a game admin was controlling her? That seemed highly unlikely, but how else could she be responding how she was?

"You don't know anything about us girl. We don't steal from the weak and helpless. We don't kill the defenseless. We bring no harm to anyone undeserving. Our goal is and has always been to target the corrupt and evil that plagues the downtrodden. Didn't you realize that when I sent you to procure these documents? Slavery, Jemza. I wanted these so I can work towards bringing an end to Demeter Wright's slave trading. I told you that.

We take from those undeserving so that those suffering may hope. We sabotage the plans of vile men and women so that no one wishes to associate with them. And we kill the foulest people to walk these lands so that others like them will fear the shadows." Rose's eyes glistened as she spoke. Never once did she turn away from Jemza.

"We didn't..."

"Get out." Jayce snapped his head towards Jemza who interrupted him. She still stared back at Rose making Jayce more nervous.

"What?"

"She said get out. A smart man listens to his woman." This time Rose responded and the fact that neither woman had looked his way throughout this was severely unnerving.

"My woman? That's...right, nevermind." These were two women that now had an issue with each other. Jemza's existed in the realm of jealousy while Rose's seemed to border on pride. He wasn't sure if Jemza even considered Rose an NPC anymore. The two of them seemed ready for open war with one another. Being that this was not a <<Safe Zone>> made him more than a little fearful of such a thing.

"Listen you two..." This time the two spun on him at the same time their faces etched with fury.

"Get out!" No more than twenty seconds later Jayce sat at a table holding a mug that another guild member NPC had slid his way. An arm from another member wrapped around his shoulder patting him gently.

"Welcome to the family my friend and good luck. You'll need it I think." Jayce could only lower his head onto the table sighing sadly in agreement. The men around laughed patting him again on the shoulder.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

254 10 18
A group of four hero's go on a journey to save their people.
7 0 6
A group of teenagers that have the power to travel to alternate realities and have to come face to face with challenges that will test their ability...
20K 432 24
The new VR world of Sword Art Online enthralled all the people of the world, until a dark twist emerges. The Ten-Thousand players who logged in first...
570 0 76
there exist many cities. some with advanced technology or magic. now people from each city must stop the evil threats before there city's are destroy...