Aella (manxman) - ON HOLD

By Syrvat

**WINNER of 3 awards in 2016 and 2017** [[+18]] ** this book is on hold for now, but I haven't abandoned it... More

Part I~~ Ch1~Agape
Bulge
Exchanging... names
Mystery of the Aella man
First Agape
Aftermath
A dream come true
Unexpected surprise
Red fumes
Sin of love
My sweet Aella
Foe friend
Unfair
Claimed... twice
AN : Syrvat's Lovers' contest
Like a baby rabbit
Oh pears, I love you!
Day one
Rebelote
Reunion
Moonlight
My Aella's fears
Tomorrow
Glimpse of the past
Good morning
Career prospects
Tricky opportunity
Welcome party
Perfect B
No other
Mission impossible
Perfect dreams
Just a cave
Part II~~ ch1~Shifting tides
frantic hopes
Phoenix?
Scream
Consequences
Little pearl
Detour
Ensnared
Live or die
Priorities
Once and for all
Part III~~ ch1~My first sail
Still here
Bad spirits
Escape
Struggle
Waterfall
Encounters
I can get you a rabbit

Hope

9.2K 695 401
By Syrvat

AN: Did someone say the last chapter wasn't enough?

Ithel

"Things are getting clearer", Trin said. "Not so good for you two, though"

That was how Trin greeted me in the morning.

It was the third day since Cailyn came. Trin was back to watch over us. I was very happy that she did so and I expressed my gratitude towards her. With her, we had one meal a day and we drank twice a day. I suggested she gave my food to Ceri, but she ignored me.

When I asked him, Ceri said that Trin treated his wounds again and that he was doing better. I wasn't certain if it was true or if he was just trying to ease my worry, but I think Ceri wouldn't lie so well. So I believed him.

I rolled my shoulders to ease the pain and I sighed. Now here we were. I was still tired, without proper food and being confined to this snare with my hands tied behind my back. I could only imagine how Ceri was feeling. I told him that everything will be better, even though I couldn't really know. I told him that his father was safe and waiting for him, to which he didn't answer at all. I tried to get him to talk about Alev or even mention him, but he wouldn't. Even at night, I couldn't help him with his terrors. He'd wake up suddenly and call my name frantically, just to make sure that I was still here.

Being so helpless was all extremely frustrating. Especially whenever I remembered what happened to my mate and the fact that the hound responsible for all of this was still on the loose.

Trin squatted at the edge of my snare. The sun was right behind her, which gave me a headache to look directly at her.

"I asked Cailyn about you two.", she taunted.

"The Leader will find a way. He has to"

"I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you"

"Thank you for feeding us, anyway. You're the only one who does". It was true. I didn't trust the other hunters. Whenever Trin was gone, I couldn't sleep or stop focusing on the sounds around me, afraid Drita may come and take my Ceri again.

"I'm not doing it for you. I'm doing it for Halina"

I smiled, remembering the time she invited me to stay with her family for a meal. That woman helped us even when she couldn't descend the mountain. "She's a very kind Aella"

Trin nodded, "She's an Elder who's beautiful, fertile and not arrogant. We don't have many of those"

"... Does she still cry?", Ceri asked hesitantly.

"No. She has to be strong for her children. Also that little minx, Epona, she told her to do something instead of weeping."

I chuckled and wondered if Ceri was smiling right now. He loved his cousins so much. He always spoke about how he'll teach Vreis everything he knows once Cailyn claims him to the forest, and that he'll send many things to Epona to brag about.

"I think that one will make a fine hunter one day", Trin said. Definitely talking about Cailyn's daughter. I totally agreed. If only that could happen soon, Ceri would have a very strong supporter and he wouldn't fear the Aella hunters anymore.

"Has Cailyn said anything about us?", I asked

Trin smirked, "Wouldn't you like to know?"

She walked away with just that. I almost rolled my eyes. She was a good woman, but she loved to tease and play games. It was adding to my headache. Nothing would make me any less tense right now other than the sight of Ceri. He needed me

And I needed him just as much...

It was only during the afternoon that I saw another Aella passing. She looked in a hurry and didn't even spare me a look. It seemed that she was talking to Trin quietly. All I could hear was Cailyn's name and other names that sounded like they belonged to Aellas. A couple of hours later, as the sun was setting, Trin came to me again. She looked less than eager to tease and that only meant bad news.

"Bad news?"

"Not for the tribe."

My heart sank immediately. The tribe comes first, that what Cailyn always said. I had enough sense of belonging to my people to be glad that a war hadn't broken yet. But what about my Ceri and me?

"Do you know a way to make your Leader back off for a while?"

I shook my head and remained emotionless as she continued, "Well, we still don't have a Leader for our clan. Cailyn wants us to work on that fast because it's the only guarantee that whatever decisions were taken now, they'd be kept afterward. He's not happy because of this. You know? He always looks like a grumpy tiger whenever things don't go his way."

That's exactly how Cailyn is.

"Anyway. He's pushing to end all matters before the Agape and he's adamant on not canceling it or even delaying it. It's practically the only thing Aellas always bargain with, yet he always falls for it."

True, again. But all of this wasn't very interesting for me right now

"He hasn't laid all his demands yet. He's still toying with us, making sure not to let us know of his plans before we choose a Leader. He always takes us by surprise, the old wolf"

I swallowed a growl. WHAT. ABOUT. US???

"Unfortunately, the Aellas he spoke with want to make an example of you. They're demanding that you'd be punished with death."

I swallowed, suddenly wishing she had whispered this news so Ceri wouldn't hear. Heavens, my Aella must be frightened right now

"This means nothing", I tried to reason. "Like you said, he's waiting for your new Leader to start the real negotiations. Right now, he's just measuring your demands and your patience."

"I agree with you that the Aellas he met isn't enough to secure the negotiation with Cailyn. There were a few Elders among them, but none with a title that guarantees all Aellas will follow the decisions they make. Still..."

She sighed, "The boy doesn't deserve what he's been through. Maybe you do since you came here on your own accord-"

"To save him"

"Without even informing your Leader"

"That would've taken a lot of time!"

Now she was getting a bit annoyed with me, but so was I!

"We would've helped with the search-"

"You were already searching! You did your best to find me and you failed!!"

"There aren't as many Aella hunters as before and we do our best!"

"Meanwhile, one of you is clawing at his skin like a bear!!!"

She glared down at me. Both furious with my accusation and pensive.

I 'm a peaceful person. Maybe the lack of nutrition got to me right now. Whatever the reason, I wasn't finished with her. "It's YOUR fault!"

"We're trying to find her! She's an Aella hunter and she's good at hiding it seems"

"No, before that!"

"Maybe if you didn't run around like a crazy wolf, leaving trails everywhere-"

"I'm not talking about the chase. I'm talking about Ceri who had to grow up among a herd of mothers who treated without any compassion! Only indifference and disdain!"

"His fate is his own to bear-"

I gritted my teeth and lowered my voice considerably. "Not when one of you kept punishing him since he was a child and teaching him how lowly he was compared to your precious cubs!!!"

She went still now, not daring to retaliate. Realization drowned her like a heavy rain. Her glare lessened, but her frown still deep and tense. I continued whispering angrily, "You let her obsess with him. None of you, great hunters cared to spare him a look!"

I was breathing heavily, my eyes blurry and yet holding a withering glare towards her. They kept him alive for the sake of Halina, and then they punished him for it. They acted blind around him as if he didn't exist. Not all of them had hurt him directly, but they ignored him. Especially the Aella hunters. They were strong and arrogant, making Ceri fear them the most. None of them thought to look into Drita's kindness towards him. Maybe if they cared just a little, maybe if they were attentive towards him, they'd see that she was getting into his mind in ways that weakened him. No wonder she gone wild. No wonder she thought she had the right to have him! No one ever stood in her way before!!!

It was deeply sickening. And to see where their negligence had gotten us-

Not just their negligence......... Yours too

Yes... if only I didn't leave him alone that day... if only I started looking for him as soon as I came back instead of assuming that Alev took him!

If only...

Trin stood, looking elsewhere. Her mood became grim. I didn't think she'd be inclined to tell me more about the meeting between the Aellas and the Leader now. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to know more.

"Some food for you, Trin", an Aellas' voice came from not far away. Trin turned around and stared at her.

"What's wrong?", the Aella asked. But Trin ignored her. She gave me one last long stare, before she walked away, leaving the other Aella with nothing but, "No one is to touch any of them. NO ONE."

And with that, I had chased our best hope at defending my Aella in case Drita decided to show up.

~~~~~~

Another day of waiting. The Aella that replaced Trin wasn't as kind at all. She refused to talk or even show her face. I don't even think she was Aella Preeta. Preeta would've given us some water.

We hadn't fed properly for days. I feel weaker than I've ever been before. My Ceri stopped talking. He was answering me with powerless grunts now. I tried to sound the strongest I could as I kept talking to him every now and then while the day came and went.

Our end was very near and I couldn't believe the spirits would dismiss our lives so easily.

Very late at night, I was awakened from my sleep-unconscious state. I was sitting by the wall when something hit my head and I lifted my gaze.

"He's already dead.", an Aello said. I voice I recognized. Not only recognized but disliked. The idea intrigued me and made my mind clearer somehow

Trin stepped beside him, looking down, "That would solve the problem, but we're not that lucky."

"Essylt???"

The Aello smirked down at me, "Happy to see me? You're not so popular with the Aellas, so I'm guessing you're extremely happy to see me"

I wanted to shake my head dismissively, but a smile was faster to form.

"For once," I said, "Your arrogance is refreshing"

He laughed and reached to his side, pulling out a sharp small weapon that he threw towards me. I leaned slightly to the left, avoiding a stab to my thigh by the weapon.

"Still sharp! Good."

I sighed and moved to turn around and grab the weapon in my hands. The heavy fatigue weighing on me was slowly lifting as the hope of survival filled my mind.

"Still can't aim right, even at someone with his hands tied behind his back?"

He scoffed, "I was just testing you. Next time we fight, I'll make sure you pay for the long walk I had to take"

I couldn't help but shake my head at Essylt this time. I didn't fight much with my peers, even the friendly bouts we had in order to show off strength, I never felt concerned by them. But from time to time, I'd participate just to make sure the other Aellos, including the Leader, didn't think I was a weakling. I had to assert that thought since I had less than a good reputation...... virility wise.

I used the weapon to try and cut the ties of my hands. My moves were uncharacteristically clumsy, maybe from lack of movement for the past few days. As I released myself, I turned up to Essylt

"Care to explain what's happening? I wouldn't take you for one who'd endanger himself to save my life"

"I still need to beat you in front of everyone as a payback for last time", he answered smugly. I scoffed. Of course, I'd defeat him. The Aellos were trying to taunt Ceri into a fight and I took his place. So Ceri was RIGHT THERE! I never felt the need to impress before, I used to just make a point and leave. But with Ceri watching me so eagerly, I had to show off a little. So I fought Essylt like I've never done before. I don't think even he knew I could be that serious in a fight.

The memory of those days brought some peace to my heart. I wish we'd have more days like that.

Even for only one day...

My hands were set free and I brought my arms to my chest. Stretching the sore muscles and rolling my aching shoulders.

"Feeling better?", he asked. I looked up at Essylt, still wondering what was going on. This was my only chance to get to Ceri, no matter what they planned for us. And the fastest way to obtain any worthy information out of Essylt was to play his game of sarcasm and rudeness.

"Yes, and I'm already bored. So either you come down here and let me beat you, or you do what you came for in the first place and help out"

He gave me a smug look before disappearing.

"A decision has been made about you two", he announced. He walked close not a moment later with a rope and threw one of the ends towards me. "If only I had time, I'd play with you more. It's not every day that I can watch you trapped in a snare"

Funny, very funny

I grabbed the rope and started climbing. 'A decision was made'...

To spare us? If we were saved, why would they do it so late at night and why send Essylt and not more Aella hunters?

To kill us?......... If Cailyn decided our death, why wouldn't he want to inform the Aellas? Or... maybe he doesn't want the news to reach Halina...

Life and death, both so near

With everything risking to end, only one thing I felt desperate about

Ceri... just a minute- No, seconds, Ceri... I'll be with you again-

My thoughts were interrupted when Essylt let go of the rope for a brief instant before grabbing it tightly again. It was quick, but enough to send me sprawling on the ground. Needless to describe the euphoria that Essylt had in his laugh. I got up and glared at him. "I don't have time for your games, Essylt!!", I yelled angrily.

"I'm so proud of my son," Trin suddenly said, walking closer to us, "He's only four and he's so mature already"

Essylt didn't appreciate the obvious joke that Trin was aiming at him, and he didn't hesitate to respond. "I'll be happy to see him when he's seven."

To think the Aella would fear for her son from this rude, playful man.

"He can take care of himself", she simply stated.

I'd be more interested in their weird antics if I wasn't still standing in the snare. I couldn't waste any more time, so I grabbed the rope and started climbing. After only two steps, I could see Trin standing a few feet away, carrying my lover over her shoulder.

"Ceri!!", I yelled his name and practically jumped the few remaining steps. I brushed past Essylt and ran to my Aella. He was laid on her shoulder, face down. I leaned lower to hold his face in my hands and lift him a little, so I could see his face.

To my surprise, he spoke, "I'm alright"

I carried him carefully, taking him off Trin's hands and setting him on the ground. He was awake, but so weak, most probably from lack of food and water.

"Water! Do you have any??", I asked Trin.

She went to bring us some and I let Ceri drink, which he did very eagerly. I pushed his curls back to see him clearer. He looked a complete mess, more than I did, with different clothes wrapped around his waist, his shoulder and his ankle. I couldn't watch how miserable he looked anymore, I just pulled him to my chest and hugged him carefully, my heart swelling with relief when his right arm hugged me back.

"So.........", Essylt said after a small moment of silence. Blessed silence that he expertly ruined. "Four years, huh. So you're still fertile?"

I looked over my shoulder at him in disbelief. Really? He's seducing Trin???

I sighed and went back to feeling my Ceri between my arms.

Trin sighed as well and ignored Essylt, "The night doesn't stop here, kids. You need to leave right away. Unless you'd like to stay-"

"We're leaving!", I stated and started maneuvering Ceri to carry him on my back. "I owe you, Aella. We owe you."

"Maybe you'll get to pay me back if you make it out of here in one piece."

I bowed slightly at her, turned on my heels and started walking away from the snares. No matter what was going to happen, I was glad to leave that hateful place. Essylt was right behind me, urging me to walk faster before he shoved past me and took the lead.

"I'm assuming you didn't jump into this on your own accord?"

Essylt was a strong independent Aello, but never the rule breaker.

"You know me well, my friend. I'm only following orders."

We advanced a little, then I stopped. Essylt frowned at me in confusion, "What's wrong?"

"Should I really follow you, Essylt??"

A few seconds later, he smirked, "You're scared I might kill you?"

"The thought crossed my mind. You haven't told me about the decision yet"

"I guess you'll just have to trust me", he answered slyly. I muffled a scoff. I could risk doing as he said and dealing with whatever came up later. But I wasn't alone in this.

"Essylt... I'm tired, just tell me-"

"This was Alev's idea"

"Alev??"

I felt Ceri's arms tense around me. If this was Alev's idea, then the decision was certainly to free us!

Essylt resumed walking, and I did the same. "Did you know he's very mean when he talks? He used to be so silent"

"Yes, I'm aware." Alev was always quiet, rarely visiting us. And whenever he did, he was like a silent spirit. He only spoke with a very few and rarely tolerated the company of most Aellos. It was the loss of his Aella and child that made him like that. But since he got his son back, he'd argue with Cailyn, talk to his son, and never hesitated to throw snarky remarks my way. So yes, I was very aware that he could be mean whenever his son was involved. I didn't really mind that, on the contrary, it only showed how protective he was over Ceri.

"He made a lot of trouble lately. He went into a frenzy of running around the island, looking for his son and interrogating people. He even barged into my den and looked around! I thought he knew better than to think that I'd 'take his son'. Why would I? Lug is much stronger and much better of a hunter! He even finished his Prueba and he gifted the Leader with a-"

"A nice big wolf, we know!"

He stopped and turned to give me a pointed look, "I'm your only way of survival here. You better be nicer to me"

I rolled my eyes, not missing his amused tone as he said that. Heavens above, I am so grateful for this chance and this hope. But did it have to come at the hands of Essylt?

"So the man misses a cub, and he goes completely wild. When he told me about this, Lug and I assumed the kid was lost somewhere, or stuck on a tree and afraid to climb down. Boys do that when they start learning to climb high trees."

Yes. Seven-year-old boys. NOT SEVENTEEN!!

I suppressed my remarks and hoped Ceri was asleep, or that he miraculously didn't get Essylt's mockery.

He resumed walking and I followed him, still ignorant of our destination and praying he'd get to the point soon.

"We helped him look, Cailyn sent a few more Aellos to help with the search. With the number of men increasing, we were certain we had covered our territory well enough to assume that the boy was eaten by an animal. Such incidents are not farfetched." He sighed, his voice going lower and almost sympathetic, "You should've seen Alev. The Aello was going crazy after losing his kid for the second time. I guess some children are born with easier fates than others."

I loathed Essylt for saying that out loud, but it was true. Unfair, but true

"Meanwhile, the Leader contacted the Aellas. They denied receiving the kid but refused to call for their cute little Leader, Sosanbra. Cailyn got suspicious, he asked for an audience over and over, and every time the Aellas refused, Cailyn got more anxious and so did the rest of the Aellos"

"Is that when they tried to sneak into this territory?"

"First was Alev. He came walking right in. A few Aellos that Cailyn had set to watch around this territory send him back. But Alev tried again, this time his beat up three Aellos. Only I was able to subdue him."

He said that proudly. I bet he couldn't do it alone. If I could defeat Essylt, so can Alev easily. But several Aellos at once would be an extremely difficult win.

"Where is he?"

"Wait, there's more. So I took him back to Cailyn who tried his best to hide the fact that Alev broke into this territory. So I tied him up and hid him. Cailyn tried to reason with his friend, but Alev fought with him repeatedly. He accused him of negligence. You should see Cailyn trying to deal with his rogue friend without smashing a rock into his head"

Ceri flinched and I glared at Essylt's back. "THEN WHAT??"

He looked over his shoulder at me, "Such an impatient man, you became"

True. And I feel like smashing your head with a rock right now!

My irritation dissipated when I stepped on some mud. I looked down and felt the ground with my feet. It was highly probable that we were near water, so I started looking around, ignoring Essylt's questions. I found a tiny source not far away. I stopped and helped Ceri to drink.

"We don't have time for this!"

I was about to answer Essylt, but I noticed something above his head. "Give me some of those!"

He looked up to the tree, his hand grabbing a fruit.

"Don't tell me you're stopping for a meal! Should we go hunt a deer and cook some soup while we're at it?"

I reached towards him making him throw the fruit my way. I caught it, gave it to Ceri and whispered for him to eat.

"We've been starved for days. This will keep us alive"

Another piece of fruit hit my head. I didn't growl at Essylt for hitting me because I was too busy eating the fruit. We drank some more water and immediately resumed walking.

"Essylt, how did Alev help us?"

"He argued with Cailyn very strongly when he said that he won't be able to save you two AND reconcile with the Aellas. Priority to the tribe"

Priority to the tribe

"And?"

"Alev threatened to beat Cailyn in front of all the tribe, including his Aella. The Elder one, called Halina. You should've seen the fury in his eyes. Cailyn got angry and released Alev's bindings before they communicated more effectively"

"More effectively?"

He grinned and raised his fist, "You should've seen it. I was the only witness. I wish Lug was there to watch how lions battled. Such a good fight."

"...... Alev? What happened to him?", Ceri asked

Essylt looked over his shoulder at Ceri with a disapproving stare. And my blood started boiling at that. Was he blaming Ceri for all of this as well????

"Essylt", I said assertively, "What happened to Aello Alev?"

"He won the fight somehow. It was very amazing actually. So he tried to convince Cailyn to save your necks, or at least his son's. Cailyn couldn't find a way to do so without failing the negotiations with the Aellas. That might lead to canceling the Agape, which might actually take us straight to a war because many Aellos stated clearly that they'll get their own Aellas with or without the gathering."

We were the heavy load in the whole situation. A load that both parties wanted to get rid of...

"Then Alev came with this idea. Cailyn didn't agree at first, but Alev refused to yield. He's very stubborn."

"Essylt, by the names of all the spirits, what is this IDEA!!?"

"To let you two escape, not just from the Aellas' territory, but from the whole island"

~~~~~~

AN: Finally, our lovers are out of their trap

What will happen next?

(a reminder of Aello Essylt in the photo)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124 11 60
Before you read the description of my book, I want to give a few quick disclaimers. The first one is that most of the chapters aren't very long, so t...
1.5M 56.1K 30
Ashton Black. A 17 year old homophobe who's been waiting for his mate since he was 16. He's soon to be alpha and in a relationship with the most beau...
149K 3K 19
PLEASE GOD THIS STORY SUCKS ASS SO DONT READ IT IF YOU TREASURE YOUR SANITY THX Oliver, (16) has been a black sheep. His seven brothers seem to grasp...
383 10 8
TW: Blood, violence • • • Blood partners. The phenomenon which arose along with sanguines. In this relationship, a human and a sanguine a directly de...