When We Were Younger. |Gladio...

By glitterandasphalt

When Kanto native Moon moves to Alola, she learns of the construction of Alola's new, official Pokémon League... More

Author's Note
1 Pyukumuku Chucker
*2 Roadside Motel
-4-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-8-
-9-
-10-
-11-
-12-
-13-
-14-
-15-
-16-
-17-
-18-
-19-
-20-
-21-
-22-
-23-
-24-
-25-
-26-
-27-
-28-
x 29 x
-30-
x 31 x
- 32 -
- 33 -
- 34 -
- 35 -
x 36 x
- 37 -
- 38 -
- 39 -
- 40 -
- 41 -
- 42 -
- 44 -
- 45 -
- When We Were Younger -

- 43 -

1.1K 23 9
By glitterandasphalt

The normal bustling of Aether Paradise Labs has now slowed to a small trickle of dedicated workers.

Mohn watches the last of the researchers gather their things and head home for the holidays. He aimlessly wanders the empty offices, looking at all of his co-work's family pictures, scattered across the rows of desks and cubicles. Dimming the lights, he decides to lock up early and head up to the breakroom.

The main lobby is almost as empty as the labs.

The emptiness is a solemn reminder to Mohn of his lack of family. Sure, they exist, but what if they have moved on? What will his place in their life be exactly? They sure didn't seem in any big rush to meet him, it's already been over six months since he was found.

Mohn lets out a labored groan before opening the doors of the breakroom, expecting more emptiness.

"Found him," Gladion says as the breakroom doors swing open.

I set my cup on the counter and turn, Mohn is already headed in my direction.

"You are just who I needed to see right now," he whispers as he gives me a firm squeeze.

"Is everything okay?" I whisper, the tone of his voice has me quite concerned.

He shakes his head as he anxiously touches his face, blinking back tears. Gladion glances nervously over at me as he notices his father's distress. I carefully take his hands in mine, looking deep into his worried, green, eyes.

"I know there's a lot on your mind today, but you have nothing to worry about. I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it."

"Why don't you spend the morning with us? You shouldn't be alone today," Gladion says, "I was just about to kick everyone out."

"Oh, I'm sure you two don't want me hanging around."

"Please!" I plead, giving Mohn the poopy lip.

I reach for the gift on the counter behind me and hand it over to him. His eyes light up as he peeks into the tinsel packed bag.

"You shouldn't have!" Mohn gasps, clutching his chest.

"What'd she get you?" Gladion asks, peeking curiously over his father's shoulder.

"It's a helix fossil!" Mohn exclaims as he carefully pulls the ancient rock from the bag, showing it to his son.

"Cool?" Gladion says, trying to act excited. He clearly has no idea how special they are.

"I might have to get this one resurrected! Or maybe I'll put it on display. I don't know yet! But I love it, thank you!"

"Well, I'm going to go let everyone know we are officially closed. I'll see you when I get home."

Mohn watches as the doors swing shut behind Gladion. Once he is out of ear shot, Mohn nudges me on the arm, "I'll see you when I get home? Does that mean-"

"I just got done unpacking my stuff this morning!"

"I don't know what's going to happen tonight when I meet my family, but knowing you will be here, it means the world to me."

"You have nothing to worry about, I meant that. You'll see. Regardless, I'm so happy we will be neighbors now!"

"Me too. I'll feel much better about living here with you around. I've been a nervous wreck since I got here."

"I'm sure it's weird, after all those years-"

"It's terribly hard. I hope it hasn't been too long, I don't feel like I fit in with people anymore. Gladion has been looking into this experimental treatment for me. He tracked down this woman named Dr. Fennel from Striaton City. She uses dream therapy to retrieve the memories of Pokemon, and she is looking to start human trials soon. I think I'm going to sign up."

_____________________

Mohn's eyes narrow as he watches Gladion pace at the end of the hallway, taking an unscheduled conference call.

"Are you sure this is the kind of life you want?" he whispers to me, "I think it could get very lonely after a while."

"I've always needed more alone time than most people, I think it suits me quite well, actually."

"We'll be in touch," Gladion says before hanging up the phone.

"Sorry! I have good news though. Dream Therapy has been approved for human trials, are you interested?"

The thin, weathered skin around Mohn's eyes crinkles as he thinks, "Let's see how tonight goes, I should probably discuss it with my family first."

"Of course! Take all the time you need to consider," Gladion replies, beaming with happiness.

"Sorry we're late!" Lillie shouts as her and Hau turn the corner.

"Shit! What's up with your hands?" Hau gasps as he notices the bulky bandages wrapped around Gladion's hands.

"It's a long story," Gladion sighs, wrapping his arm around me.

A handsome smile grows on Hau's face as he beams at Gladion and I. Seeing his approval brings me great comfort, his opinion means everything to me.

"Congratulations on completing your trials by the way," Hau says politely to Gladion.

"Thanks, I'm really glad I had the opportunity to participate," Gladion replies quietly.

The tension between Gladion and Hau is killing me. If I can sense it, it must be strong!

"Looks like Hau is going to be your brother after all!" I chuckle awkwardly.

Laughter booms brightly from Hau's chest as he places his hand on Gladion's shoulder.

"I hope the thought of having me as a brother in law doesn't turn you into Mad-ion!"

Gladion's eye brow raises as he shakes his head, "You used to be funny! What happened?"

"Come here! I know you hate human contact, but you know I'm a hugger!"

Hau's eyes widen as Gladion fully embraces him, I don't think he expected such a warm reception.

"I should have said something sooner, but I am more than happy about the engagement," Gladion says softly, "Please, forgive my absence, I had some very personal things to deal with."

"Well, I hate to interrupt, but maybe I should get ready," Mohn says, pointing to the watch on his wrist.

"Hmph. Since we are all together, and we are talking about family, I'd like to take just a moment to introduce you to my mother," Gladion says, leading Mohn up the white marble staircase.

We all gather around Lusamine. Her once, cutting edge style, has been replaced with something more comforting. Dressed in pastel pink and white, her blank eyes stare at the wall behind us.

Mohn looks sympathetically down at the woman in front of him. He knows what happened to her, everyone does. But he feels as though there must be more to her, other than how they paint her in the media.

"This is Lillie and I's mother, Lusamine. Obviously, she is in a vegetative state now, but she used to be quite alive. She has always been passionate about Pokemon. She and my father built this company with the vision of making the world a better place for them. In the beginning, The Aether Foundation focused on designing medical equipment, to improve the lives of Pokemon. My father, designed countless machines and facilities, including this very island. Their dedication to this cause is part of the reason why Pokemon have such state of the art care today."

Gladion pauses for a moment to collect himself, "You were also a big part of that," he says to Mohn.

Lillie clears her throat and steps up for Gladion, "They met in Unova, at a volunteer center for neglected Pokemon, where they fell in love. She was the daughter of a banking tycoon, he was a student studying abroad."

Gladion pulls a picture frame out of Lusamine's bedside table, "This is the most recent picture of them together," he says softly as he hands the picture over to his father.

Lillie clutches her brother's hand as their father takes a look at the photograph.

Mohn immediately covers his mouth with his hand. It's clear he recognizes himself in the picture.

We watch as he stands there, speechless. I feel as though my heart could burst at any moment.

Hau helps him to the side of Lusamine's bed as he begins to react, pressing his hot, reddened, face against the glass of the picture frame.

"This is me, isn't it?" he whimpers, tears stream down his weathered, sun-tanned, cheeks.

Lillie and I sit on either side of him as he sobs and cries. Every time he tries to speak, it makes no sense. Gladion reaches out for him, but hesitates. His worried eyes pool with tears as he stands helplessly in front of his father.

Finally, Mohn manages to speak, but it seems to be in the language of Kalos.

Shocked by his own words, Mohn covers his mouth with his hands, "I didn't know I could do that!" he exclaims.

"You grew up in Kalos and speak the language fluently," Gladion adds.

"My children!" he cries, reaching his hands out to them.

The reunited family sobs between bursts of laughter, clinging to one another. It is a beautiful sight, but despite the indescribable joy, I sense a deep feeling of loss.

Mohn takes a stack of photo albums in his lap. His tears pitter patter on the plastic sleeves of countless photo albums, grieving over the priceless moments he's lost. He runs his fingers over their still, innocent faces, longing to return to these forgotten days.

Going backwards in time with every flip of the page, his heart breaks over and over, until Gladion is but a bump under his mother's dress.

Mohn takes a moment with his wife.

His thick, tan, fingers slide between hers as he kneels in front of her. Unable to hold back, he sobs bitterly into her skirt as her witless eyes continue to gaze into space. Her body might be present, but her mind belongs to Nihilego now.

Behind me, Hau struggles to breathe. I turn to find redness surrounding his nori-colored eyes and tears glistening on his chiseled, bronze, cheeks.

"None of this would have happened if it weren't for you," Hau sniffs, taking me under his arm.

"Well, we can't say that for sure, I'm just so happy, for them, even myself. I forgot what that feeling felt like," I whisper, wiping the tears from my eyes.

"Welcome back," Hau says, squeezing me tightly.

"So, I suppose you will be my son in-law! We need to have a talk, I think?" Mohn chuckles weakly.

"Hau is a great man!" Gladion responds, "Great enough to become a Kahuna."

Mohn's red, swollen eyes watch his son take his place at my side.

"And you two...I don't know what the future has planned for the both of you, but I hope we find out soon. My old heart can't take much more of your antics!"

____________________

Letting out a heavy yawn, I flop down on our bed, looking at all of our stuff.

Taking in the view is exciting and new, yet strangely soothing. I nestle my body into the blankets. Gladion has good taste in fabric, this isn't going to be good for my napping habit. This bed is quickly becoming my favorite place to be.

My cheeks tighten as I hear the door knob turning. After Mohn settled down, we parted ways for a while. I'm eager to hear all about it.

Gladion inhales sharply when he sees me in bed.

I find myself relishing in the relit flame between us. It feels as if we are falling in love all over again, dropping to his mercy at every small smile and eyelash bat. Even the slightest touch sends me spiraling out of control.

"How's your dad doing? We seemed pretty excited about our wedding," I peep.

That came out wrong.

Gladion's face flushes at my remark.

"I mean their wedding! He seemed excited about it."

For a split second, I imagine myself tossing a bouquet of bridal flowers over my shoulder, my wedding ring shimmers in the sun as the flowers leave my grasp.

After a moment of intense silence, Gladion clears his throat, "Very emotional, but happy. He wants to move into the house soon. The three of them had a long talk. Lillie and Hau will be visiting three times a week so he can get to know them."

"Wonderful!" I squeak, my heart is still racing from my little slip up.

"He's also agreed to undergo Dream Therapy. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's pretty much impossible."

"I've learned it's okay to be hopeful. Opening yourself to the possibility of disappointment is a strength, not a weakness."

"I suppose you're right," Gladion sighs as he heads over to his dressing table.

He struggles to undo the buttons on his white, pressed shirt. His blushed, dreamy, smile quickly fades to a frustrated scowl as he fights to get his shirt off. Laughing under my breath, I get out of bed to help him.

He surrenders the struggle as I grasp his wrist, carefully unbuttoning the tight cuffs of his sleeves. His face melts as I begin to unbutton the front of his shirt. The puffs of his breath landing on my cheeks become rapid and weak. My core temperature rises at the sight of his arousal.

Slowly and carefully, I strip the starchy, white, shirt away from his body, taking extra care not to bump his injured hands. He winces in pain as he tries to undo his tightly synched belt on his own.

Holding back a smirk, I brush his bandaged hands away, undoing the belt myself. I can't help but notice how tight his pants are getting.

"Sit down, I'll help you get your shoes off," I whisper.

Crouching down at his feet, I remove his shiny, black, shoes as he sits on the edge of the bed. His long, platinum, hair falls in his face as he watches me.

I giggle as he spits a long strand of it out of his mouth. I remove the elastic band from my wrist and crawl into bed behind him.

"Hold still!" I snicker, gathering the length of his hair in my hands.

"Better?" I ask as he examines his low ponytail in the mirror.

"Much better," he replies, taking one last look in the mirror before turning to me.

He wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me in close until our hips touch.

"Now...where were we?" he whispers suggestively in my ear.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.6K 281 36
(If you're not reading this on Wattpad, you're reading an illegal copyright version of it) A collection of the ships I love from The Sun and Moon ani...
2.8K 42 21
The Champion and The Runaway is a story about two childhood best friends. Caite is a strong girl who had a rough family life at home. Gladion is a gu...
169 0 11
A rewrite of the second season in Alola with Gladion and Lillie as a couple. I will only be doing episodes and scenes that need updating for the stor...
4.6K 9 17
4 years after the events of Pokemon Sun and Moon. Sun, now 18 years old continues to reign as Champion in Alola. The Pokemon Battling World Champions...