Ravenclaw's Shadow

By xXMade2LoveXx

Aurelia Dunmore is in her fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Other than being a bit of... More

Teaser
Teaser #2
Teaser #3
Teaser #4
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74

Chapter 20

1.8K 98 25
By xXMade2LoveXx

When I open my eyes I can't believe it. I know vampires are tough, but really? I look around. It's dark, but I can tell it's the hospital wing. That surprises me. I hadn't thought that I would survive, obviously, but thinking on it now, I would think that they'd put me in the hospital in Transylvania.

I try to move my arm, and I can, but just. I lift my arm with difficulty and see that it's tightly bandaged all the way up and down. There's a dull ache growing. I can't pinpoint the exact spot where it is. It seems to be all over my body. I close my eyes, hoping I'll go back to sleep and not wake up this time.

The next time I wake it's light, but I'm still alone. The curtains have been drawn around my bed. I hear a bell go. So it's a weekday, then. I want to sit up. My head feels fuzzy. I don't like it.

“Hello?” I call, my voice rough and gritty. I clear my throat and try again. Somewhere to my left a door opens and I hear foot steps approaching. The curtains part and Madame Pomfrey steps inside. She gives me a gentle smile.

“You're awake,” she says, “your parents will be delighted. I'll go and let them know.”

“Can I sit up?” I ask.

“Not yet,” she replies and disappears. I sigh deeply. So much for being free. There's silence. Everyone must be in class. Or maybe at lunch. I hear doors open to my right and foot steps. They don't sound like my parents, though. Professor Dumbledore steps through the curtain and takes a seat in the chair close to my pillows. He looks very serious, but he gives me a kind smile.

“You're lucky to be alive,” he tells me. I snort.

“Lucky,” I sneer, “I'm not lucky to be alive.”

“I'm very sorry that you feel that way,” he says, “I hope we can come to the bottom of why that is and fix it.”

“Good luck,” I mutter. Madame Pomfrey steps into my little enclosure.

“I'm going to remove the bandages,” she tells me, “it'll be a little painful, but you'll feel more relaxed and we can sit you up a bit, alright? Headmaster, could you step out?”

Dumbledore obliges and Madame Pomfrey goes about removing the bandages. As she unwinds each one I feel pressure release in my limbs and sigh with relief. She carefully removes the bandages on my torso and helps me into a hospital gown. She helps me sit up a little and puts two pillows behind my back, then lets Dumbledore back in.

“Your parents will be here shortly,” he tells me. I nod, my mouth dry.

“You won't be in any trouble, I assure you,” he says in a firm, but gentle voice. I don't argue, although I highly doubt it. I lean my head back and look up at the ceiling. I feel lousy. I hear the doors open and the clatter of footsteps rushing down the ward. The curtains fly back and I hear Mum exclaim, but I don't look up. There's no point.

“Darling, we were so worried!” Mum says, pulling me into a hug, “oh, don't ever do that to me again!”

A tear falls from her face and drips onto mine, but I just sigh quietly to myself.

“Aurelia, darling?” Mum turns my face so I'm looking at her, “what's wrong? Are you in pain?”

I shake my head. She pulls me into a bone-crushing hug. Even Dad is standing close beside me with one hand on my shoulder. I wish they'd leave me alone.

“Mr and Mrs Dunmore,” Dumbledore says, “I think we all need to talk about the seriousness of this situation.”

Mum releases me, but clutches my hand.

“Situation?” Dad asks, “what situation? She fell from her broom. It was an accident.”

“It was not an accident, nor will I pretend it to be so,” Dumbledore says, “Aurelia did this deliberately in an attempt to end her life.”

I stare down at the bed sheets.

“That's ridiculous,” Mum scoffs, “she wouldn't do something like that, would you, darling?”

I don't respond. Dad has taken his hand off my shoulder and stepped away. I tuck my knees up and lean my chin on them.

“This is ludicrous,” Dad snaps, “Dumbledore, our daughter is not suicidal. She had an accident, something children are prone to do. I would have thought being a Headmaster you would know that, but apparently-”

“Do not play me for a fool!” Dumbledore snaps, “Aurelia is a competent flier. She would not simply fall off her broom! You are blind to her misery as long as she produces the desired grades in her schooling and I will no longer sit by and allow this.”

I glance at Mum and Dad. They both look a little shocked. Dumbledore is glaring at them with burning eyes. I look down at my sheet again.

“You mean to tell me,” Mum says, turning to me, “that you did something so stupid because we don't want you throwing your life away on a boy? Oh, Aurelia, grow up!”

“This goes far deeper,” Dumbledore's voice is hard and cold, “because of your rules Aurelia is being socially isolated. All of her teachers have noticed that she is struggling because of this. Last Tuesday we had a meeting to discuss what was to be done. Had this incident not have occurred we would have called you in for a meeting last weekend and put a plan in place to allow Aurelia sufficient social interactions while allowing enough time to maintain her grades. Now, however, immediate action is required. Aurelia,” his voice softens, “perhaps you would enlighten us to what has been going on with the other students?”

I shake my head slightly.

“There, nothing wrong, see?” Dad says, “now-”

“I thought you might not want to speak about it,” Dumbledore interrupts, “so I asked a friend of yours if she would tell us. Georgiana?”

Georgiana steps through the curtains, her dark eyes full of worry.

“Have a seat,” Dumbledore offers.

“I'd rather stand,” Georgiana says in a soft voice. Dumbledore gives her a nod.

“Would you mind telling us a bit about what has been happening the last month?” he asks. Georgiana nods, glancing at me.

“Well, it started after Aurelia was taken out of breakfast before Quidditch,” she says, “when she came back to school she wasn't talking to anyone, she seemed... Different. Then a girl in our grade, well... She started telling people things...”

“I'd like for you to be a bit more specific, please,” Dumbledore says. Georgiana shifts uncomfortably.

“Well, the week before that Aurelia hadn't been staying at school much,” Georgiana says, “and she said she had to take care of her little cousins or something, but Chrissie said... Well, she said that Aurelia was... That she was sleeping with men in the village... For... For money.”

My mother lets out a noise of disgust. Dumbledore holds up his hand to silence her.

“What happened after that?” Dumbledore asks.

“Well, at first, no one believed Chrissie,” Georgiana sighs, “but then one of the boys said it was true, that he'd slept with her. Then everyone started to either believe it or pretend like they did. Everyone was calling her names and leaving her out of things but because she wasn't allowed to talk to anyone, she couldn't stand up for herself. Chrissie was the worst. She painted big, red 'A's on her shirts and cut inches off the bottoms of her skirts.”

So that's what happened. I thought I'd grown.

“Thank you,” Dumbledore says, nodding to Georgiana. She glances at me, opens her mouth, then looks at my parents and closes it again. She gives me a sad look before ducking out of the curtains. Dumbledore lets all this sink in. I didn't even know that's why everyone hated me. And George... George must have believed it. That part hurts the most. In fact, it's the only part that matters.

“So, you were being bullied?” Dad asks, turning to me, “and why didn't you tell a teacher?”

“Was I allowed?” I mutter.

“Don't take that tone with-”

He stops suddenly and I glance at Dumbledore who is shooting daggers at my father. Dad clears his throat.

“Why didn't you tell us?” he demands. I don't reply.

“Aurelia,” Mum says gently, “why didn't you tell us?”

“What's the point?” I explode, “you never listen to what I want, anyway! You don't care as long as my grades are good! You couldn't care less! I'm not allowed to talk to anyone, so what does it matter if they hate me?”

I feel tears in my eyes and turn back to the bed covers.

“Clearly,” Dumbledore says, “there are issues here. My question to you is whether or not you want to resolve them.”

“Of course we do, she's our daughter!” Dad snaps.

“Then,” Dumbledore says, “I suggest we return to my office. Aurelia needs rest and you will have to hear some things that I do not want to say in front of a young lady.”

Mum and Dad step out from the curtains. Dumbledore rests a hand on my shoulder.

“Rest,” he says, “we'll be back in a few hours.”

He steps outside of the curtains and I hear him talking quietly. After a few moments I hear his footsteps and my parents' retreating, then the door closing. Georgiana steps into the curtains and sits down beside my bed. She's gazing at me with concern, but doesn't seem to know what to say.

“Hi,” I whisper.

“Please don't kill yourself!” she exclaims, tears welling up in her eyes. I feel a stab in my stomach and burst into tears. Georgiana flings her arms around me, sobbing, and for a while we both just cry. When we're both cried out Georgiana curls up on the bed, facing me.

“I thought you hated me, too,” I tell her. She shakes her head.

“I don't think anyone hates you,” she says, “everyone just got caught up in Chrissie's lie. It was stupid. I think a lot of people realised how stupid it was last Wednesday when... Well, when you... You know...”

“What day is it?” I ask.

“Friday,” she says, “you've been in here for a bit over a week. I thought you were going to die.”

Tears well up in her eyes again. I pass her the box of tissues on the night stand.

“I tried telling everyone it was stupid, I really did,” she says, “but...”

“It's okay,” I shrug, “it doesn't matter anyway.”

“It does matter!” Georgiana exclaims, “you were so much happier before! And... And, well, I had someone to talk to who didn't treat me like I'm not as clever as they are like Lola and Kia do.”

“My parents aren't going to change,” I sigh, “now they'll probably make me go to a different school.”

“I wouldn't be so sure,” Georgiana says, “Dumbledore can be very convincing.”

I stare down at the blankets. Even if I'm allowed to talk to people, no one will want to talk to me.

The bell goes and Georgiana sighs.

“I have to go,” she says, “McGonagall's been in a mood this week, she'll kill me if I'm late. I'll come and see you after dinner, okay?”

I nod and watch as she leaves, then slump back in the pillows. Without distractions I can feel a dull ache all over my body. My arms and legs feel stiff and heavy, like I need to stretch them out. I close my eyes. I'll have to think of something better than falling from a great height.

My parents and Dumbledore don't come back until Madame Pomfrey is laying a tray of food in front of me, despite me telling her I'm not hungry. They all take seats around my bed. I notice that Mum and Dad both look very subdued and Dumbledore has a satisfied smile on his face.

“Please, eat,” Dumbledore says. I look down at the food. Mashed potato, broccoli, carrots and a piece of buttered bread. Not the most appetising thing. I pick up my fork and poke at the food.

“I have had a long talk with your parents,” Dumbledore says. I glance at my parents as he's saying this. My father actually flinches.

“They have decided that you will be allowed to engage in social activities,” Dumbledore continues, “if there is any issues with your grades they will be dealt with by the staff. If there are further issues, your parents will be contacted. You will also be allowed to resume your feeding arrangement after talking with Professor Lupin. Does that seem fair?”

“Isn't that what happens with everyone?” I ask quietly. Dumbledore nods. I shrug.

“Isn't that what you want?” Mum exclaims, “I thought you'd at least be happy!”

“It's not like anyone is going to talk to me anyway,” I mutter. I glance at Dad, expecting him to call me out for back chat, but he keeps staring at the floor. Hello, what's Dumbledore said to him?!

“We will address those issues,” Dumbledore says. I sigh and stab a piece of broccoli.

“I know things have been difficult,” Dumbledore says, “but we're here for you. We're going to try our best to make the remainder of your time at Hogwarts happy and productive, alright?”

“Yes, sir,” I nod.

“Good,” he says, “Madame Pomfrey has written to St Mungo's and you have been prescribed a course of potions that will help lift your mood. You understand that until we're sure you're not going to hurt your self, we will be keeping a close eye on you and certain measures will be taken. For example, Miss Georgiana has agreed to accompany you everywhere. She will be reporting to Professor Flitwick and Madame Pomfrey on your progress. Professor Lupin will accompany you on Friday nights. Other than that, you are free to do as you please, alright?”

I nod again. Madame Pomfrey comes bustling over with a glass full of purple potion. She hands it to me.

“Drink it all,” she says, “you'll need to come and see me before breakfast and dinner every day.”

I pick up the potion and drain it. It tastes sweet, sort of like flowers. I put the glass down, expecting to feel better immediately.

“It can take a while for the potions to work,” Dumbledore says, peering at me over his glasses, “we don't want you to just feel better. We want you to be better.”

________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Thanks for reading! Please vote, comment and let me know what you think :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 54.2K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
24.1K 822 28
Let's get one thing straight- Ava Wilder was picked up by the Avengers for two reasons: her magic skillset and her ability to burn NYC to the ground...
592K 31.6K 34
Nancy Pang doesn't have a clue what love is. All she knows is that it's not going to help her win the Junior Mathematics Tournament, or get her into...
1K 43 4
He can't get attached or he will become obsessed She hides how she truly feels no one knows she's Depressed Depression and obsessed Will it be the...