Chapter 9

I'm sitting in Transfiguration, my stomach growling. My appetite is starting to settle back into it's normal routine. George has gone to the bathroom and I've just finished my chapter summary.

“Start packing up,” McGonagall calls. I pack up my things, then start packing up George's. I scrawl a quick smiley face with its tongue poking out on the cover of his note book, then tuck it into his bag.

The bell rings and he's still not back.

“Fred, what've you got now?” I call.

“Divination,” he pulls a face, “see you!”

George has Ancient Runes. His classroom isn't too far from mine. I run up and leave his bag with the professor before running back down to Arithmancy.

“Remember,” Vector calls at the end of class, “I want those charts by Sunday! No exceptions!”

“But professor, Quidditch is tomorrow!” Georgiana exclaims. Vector purses her lips.

“Then you'd best take your books, hadn't you?” she says, “and just to remind those of you considering taking Advanced Arithmancy next year, I only accept students who receive an O into the class. I will also take into account your homework habits, so some of you had better step up your game!”

I sigh. This chart is going to take hours.

George meets me outside the classroom.

“Thanks for packing my stuff up,” he says, taking my hand, “do you want to go for a walk after dinner?”

“I can't,” I sigh, “I've got to draw up a chart for professor Vector and it's going to take hours.”

“Library it is, then,” George says, swinging our hands.

“Ready for the match tomorrow?” Fred asks as I sit down.

“So ready,” I say, “I'm nearly out of pocket money.”

“Okay, I'm sorry, but you can't seriously believe that Ravenclaw will win by over a hundred points,” Angelina says. I smirk at her.

“O ye of little faith,” I say, shaking my head, “you just wait.”

Angelina shakes her head disbelievingly.

“I'm going to go to the library,” I say, standing up.

“Me too,” George says, getting up too.

“We might meet you up there,” Lee says.

“Okay, see you later,” I smile.

George and I walk up to the library. It's fairly empty, since most people are still at dinner. We sit down at a table and I spread out my parchment and books, taking up most of the table. George squeezes in on the end of the table.

“Wow, that looks life fun,” he says sarcastically.

“It's about as much fun as a thorn in the eye,” I agree, “but I have to get an O to get into Advanced Arithmancy next year.”

“Why on earth would you want to do Advanced Arithmancy?”

“I don't really,” I admit, “but my parents have high expectations. Next year I'm going to have to pick up more subjects and extra-curriculars.”

“Why?”

“High expectations,” I shrug, “I'm their only daughter. All their hopes and dreams rest on my shoulders.”

George shakes his head.

“I think Mum'll be pleased if we pass any of our OWLs,” he says. I laugh.