Chapter 72

"George, it hurts!" I cry, squeezing his hand.

"I know," he says in what he thinks is a soothing tone, "I know, just breathe through it."

"I want to go to the hospital!"

"I know, but they said not yet," he says, "they'll just send us home again. They said to wait until the contractions are five minutes apart."

"Can't you just cut it out?" I beg.

"No, love," he says patiently, "how about I run you a bath?"

"Okay," I say, breathing deeply as the contraction passes. I get into the bath just before another contraction hits.

"THE BATH DOES NOTHING!"

George's face twitches and if he was closer I'd hit him.

"DON'T YOU DARE LAUGH AT ME!"

"I'm sorry, love," he says, "I wish I could help more."

"We are not having any more children," I say, "none. Ever. Not unless you can give birth to them."

"Is there anything I can get you?" he offers.

"Just pull it out," I say, "just cut me open and pull it out."

I watch him struggle not to smile and glare at him.

"I'm honestly contemplating divorce," I say, "if you smile, it's decided."

"Oh, darling," he laughs, "I love you."

"Fuck off," I mutter.

I climb out of the bath a little while later and double over as a contraction wracks my body.

"How long was that between them?" I pant.

"About five minutes," George says, "we can go now."

I get dressed and we head downstairs.

"Have you got the bag?" I ask as I waddle towards the car.

"Yep."

"And the car seat?"

"Yep."

"Are you sure?"

"Yep."

I climb awkwardly into the car and close my eyes. I've never experienced the Cruciatus Curse, but I can imagine this is very similar to the feeling. And of course, today is the day we get stuck in traffic.

"I don't want to have the baby in the car," I say, panicking slightly.

"You won't," George says, "just breathe."

"YOU JUST BREATHE! Ohhh shit."

"What?"George asks, looking around, "what?!"

"My waters just broke," I groan, "oh my god, I'm going to give birth in a car in the middle of London!"

"No, no, you're not," George says as the traffic begins to move. He turns off into a side street and presses something on the dashboard.

"Mum would kill dad, but I'm glad I persuaded him to do this," he says as the car disappears around us.

"Do what?" I ask, "do wha- AH!"

The car soars up into the sky and I hold onto the seat for dear life.

"Don't worry, this isn't the first time I've driven a flying car."

"That doesn't make me feel any better."

"This will, we're almost there."

He lands the car rather bumpily outside St Mungo's and after making sure no one is around, makes it visible again. We go inside and I nearly cry, seeing the line.