Chapter 23

“I can't believe you're going,” I complain as we walk down to the village.

“They invited me,” Georgiana shrugs, “I've never been invited to a party before. Besides, I'm hoping we play Spin the Bottle. I wouldn't mind giving Fred a birthday kiss.”

I blink. I'd forgotten she has a thing for him. In a moment of inspiration I decide I'm going to do whatever it takes to get Fred and Georgiana together.

“Okay, I'll go,” I sigh, knowing I'll regret this. Georgiana grins.

“Brilliant, I knew you'd come around,” she says, “come here.”

She drags me behind a clump of bushes and pulls my red velvet dress out of her bag.

“Put this on,” she demands.

“Here?” I exclaim.

“No one is going to see,” she says, “I'll keep a look out, just be quick.”

I do as she says, terrified someone is going to come along and see.

“Done,” I say folding my jeans and jumper up. She takes them and stuffs them into her hand bag.

“You look great,” she says, stepping back and looking at me. I glare at her.

“I bet George won't be able to stop looking at you,” she teases lightly. I frown at her.

“Take your hair out,” she says, “shake it.”

I pull my hair tie out and flip my head over, shaking my hair out. I flip my head back and Georgiana fixes the front.

“Perfect,” she says, “come on, don't want to be late.”

I follow her down to the pub and into the back room. Alicia and Angelina have done a great job. There are silver and blue streamers and balloons around the room and a table of food and drinks in the corner.

“Hey!” Angelina rushes over to greet us, “I'm so glad you came!”

She gives me a tight hug.

“You can put presents or cards on the table over there,” she says.

“Oh, I didn't-”

“Here's yours,” Georgiana says, handing me a parcel wrapped in red, “you forgot to write in the card.”

“Right, thanks,” I say, taking it. She smiles and walks over to place her present on the table. Angelina beams at me.

I duck over to the present table and put the package next to Georgiana's.

“Why're they here?” she asks, nodding at Ron and his friends.

“Ron's their brother,” I say, shrugging. Apart from us, Ron and his friends and Angelina, no one else is here. I glance at my watch. It's a quarter to twelve. Angelina is looking nervous. There's a knock on the door and the Gryffindor Quidditch captain and the other chaser come in.

“Alicia said she'll be here soon,” the chaser says.

“Great,” Angelina says, “do you know Georgiana and Aurelia? This is Katie and Oliver.”

“We've met,” Oliver says, nodding to me, “shame Ravenclaw is out this year.”

I give him a tight smile, ignoring the jibe. They go over to talk to Ron's friends and I turn to Georgiana.

“I want to go,” I tell her.

“Ari, relax,” she says soothingly, “it's fine.”

I bite my lip. I feel irrationally anxious. A few other Gryffindors from various years trickle in, but no one I know until Patrick and Neil walk in with Alicia.