Another Day I've Conquered

By LostDreamingSoul

*Previously Another Day Another Challenge* *Preview* That’s when I saw her. Now, I wasn’t one for all the rom... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16 Part 2
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 16 Part 1

359 14 0
By LostDreamingSoul

Ginger

                I had elected to sit alone in the empty field for lunch the next day. My “friends” kept giving me queer glances when they thought I wasn’t looking, as if I was some sort of stranger. Not only had I left the school (although briefly) with Saxon Anderson but my brother’s suspension was poison in the air at the moment. Sitting in a room surrounded by whispers and blatant stares wasn’t very appealing.
                “Ginger?” I spun around, not expecting anyone else to be outside. Dakoda stood several feet away, her head tilted quizzically, like a lost puppy. I had never really heard her talk before and hearing her smooth honey voice in my ears was foreign.

                “Oh. Hi.” I frowned, mentally wincing. My mother wouldn’t like the way I had started a conversation so lamely. I could practically hear her nagging in my ear.
                “What’re you doing out here?” The girl asked, her hazel eyes wide and warm, calming for some reason. I shrugged halfheartedly.

                “I wanted some fresh air.” I tried to keep an upbeat edge to my voice but she didn’t seem to believe it, sitting down beside me as if we were old friends.
                “It gets a bit much, doesn’t it? All those people looking at you like that.” I blinked in surprise. How did she notice?

                “It’s not too bad.”  I lied, not wanting to pour my frustration on her, while simultaneously mulling over the fact Dakoda was actually conversing with me. I had never seen her so much as glance at anyone outside of her social group. It was unnerving.

                “Hm. Ok.” She let the subject drop as if she sensed I wanted nothing to do with the other students. Dakoda stretched out, leaning against a tree, her hazel eyes wandering towards the sky. “You’re very good at keeping your emotions under control, you know?” Dakoda didn’t look at me, but I could feel my shoulders tense.

                “Oh?” A flat note streaked my tone. It didn’t feel like it. My emotions always seemed to be zigzagging across the board.

                “Not a bad trait to have, is all I meant.” Her lips curved slightly, and for a moment, I wondered if the near silent girl wasn’t nearly as innocent as she seemed. “How’s your report for English going?” She changed topics, clearly dominating the conversation, although it was a welcomed relief for once.

                “I haven’t started yet. I was going to go to the library after school.” I admitted, a sense of normalcy settling in the air. “I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do yet.” Dakoda nodded.

                “Me either actually. I can’t decide between-”

                “Blah, blah, blah.” Someone cut in and some kid –Josh possibly?- slid from the shadows near the tree line. “Is this what girls talk about? School work?” Dakoda didn’t look up from her spot, her gaze fixed on the sky. I could see her composure freeze over, her eyes tightening before she smoothed the tension, facing Josh with a polite smile.

                “Would seem so.” She shrugged, her shoulders loose. Had I imagined the brief moment of rigidness?

                “Considering the position you’re in, it seems strange that two girls like you would be so utterly boring.” He snorted, his eyes flashing over to me for a brief moment.

                “What else would you expect?” Dakoda quirked her brow, giving Josh a disinterested once over. “It’s not like you’re Indiana Jones either.” Josh ignored the barb.

                “Does she know?” He said quieter, his voice dipping into a dangerous undertone.

                “I don’t know what you mean.” Dakoda sighed, pushing away from the tree.

                “Don’t play stupid.” Josh made a low rumbling noise in his chest that set my heart racing. Had he just growled?

                “I’m not.” Dakoda said seriously, linking her arm through mine and tugging me in the direction of the school. I tensed at the unwanted contact, uncomfortable with the fact someone I hardly knew was touching me.

                “Do I know what?” I interjected, glancing back at Josh, whose eyes glowed with a hidden knowledge.

                “You’ll find out soon enough Wolf.” He grinned¸ revealing an unnatural row of sharp teeth. “Don’t worry.”

“Fancy meetin’ you here.” A sarcastic drawl rolled through my ears, sending shivers down my spine. I spun around, clutching the book to my chest. Saxon leaned against the bookshelf beside me, sharing a lopsided grin with me that caused my heart to stutter unhealthily.

“What are you doing here?” I squeaked, my cheeks flushing at the noise that left my lips. I sounded incredibly stupid. Saxon raised an eyebrow, a teasing glint dancing into his storm gray orbs.

“Well, it’s a public place ya’ know?”

“But- I know- it’s just- I mean-” Way to sound intelligent, I congratulated myself. Saxon smirked slightly at my flustered state, his blond hair hanging just above his eyes.

“A library?” He inserted, while I nodded slightly, hoping I didn’t offend him. “I didn’t realize you thought so highly of me.” He said drily, causing my cheeks to flame brighter.

“I didn’t mean-”

“I know.” He chuckled to himself at my panicked appearance. “Relax. I’m kidding.” Relief gushed through my lungs with the breath I seemed to have been holding. Jerk. Huffing, I put the book back on the shelf.
                “What are you doing here?” I repeated my earlier question now that I knew he didn’t mind. He shrugged, lifting up a book on Leonardo DaVinci.
                “Dakoda wanted me to pick up a book for a project she’s doing.” He shrugged, a sliver of bashfulness in his eyes.
                “Are you all close?” The question flew from my lips, shocking me more than it seemed to shock Saxon. Was it just a coincidence she sent him to the library after I told her I would be here?
                “Yea. Marc and I have been friends since about 5th grade. Dakoda’s only been in the group for a little less than a year.” He explained it as if it were the most casual thing in the world, but it seemed almost surreal. If he had only known Dakoda for slightly less than a year, why is it whenever Marc was around her he seemed so intense?

“Oh.” I trailed off, chewing the inside of my cheek. Dakoda couldn’t have done it on purpose.  Impossible. It’s not like she knew I may have had a small crush on Saxon, no matter how frustrated I was around him. Unless of course Saxon liked me…? No. Impossible.
                “Uhm, I have to check this out first, but do you want to go get an ice cream or something?” Saxon asked suddenly, causing surprise to tie the words in my throat. He was rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, dropping his eyes to the floor a moment before they connected with mine. The breath vanished from my lungs and I felt as if my brain was about to explode. Did…did Saxon Anderson just ask me on a date?
                “I, uh, I mean… It’s just… I have homework to do and uh… studying. We have that important test coming up, in erm, Math already.” I tried to think up of a valid excuse not to go, even though I wanted to say yes. I knew as soon as my mom found out I was hanging around with Saxon I was going to get another tongue lashing. I had seen enough fighting in my house. Garret wouldn’t even breathe in the same room as her anymore. I couldn’t take it.
                “Ginger,” Saxon’s voice became soft, and I saw his eyes were swimming around with emotions I couldn’t pick apart. I wanted to know. I wanted to know how this boy thought. I wanted to know why he was bothering with me of all people. “When’s the last time you let loose and lived a little?”

                “I don’t understand.” I whispered. He shook his head, setting down the book on the shelf beside him. His hand wrapped around my wrist, causing an electrical charge to spark over my skin as he tugged me towards the door.
                “When’s the last time you had fun?” He grinned at me lopsidedly. Was this boy trying to give me a heart attack? At this rate I would be dead from overexertion by morning.
                “…Fun?” I echoed. He pulled me into the cooling afternoon air. 

“Don’t tell me you’ve never watched Spongebob?.” He lifted an eyebrow quizzically.

“Erm… What’s Spongebob…?” I felt my brow crease in confusion. It sounded ridiculous.

“You poor, deprived soul.” He shook his head. “So you’ve probably never heard of the fun song, either, huh?”

“No…” Ok, maybe this boy was insane behind his enticing gray eyes. He just chuckled at my confounded expression; his eyes twinkled as if he knew something I didn’t.

“Ok, I guess I’ll save you the grisly details.” He grinned to himself, stopping at the passenger side of a black Camaro. I felt my eyes widen at the sleek, dark painted car. Wasn’t this the car my brother nearly caused an accident with the first day of school? Saxon unlocked the car, opening the door for me. I stood stoic for a moment, while Saxon shifted from foot to foot as if he was anxious to see my response.

“Uh, are you getting in?” He asked, clearing his throat. I felt my breath catch and I nodded slowly, my heart pounding, while heat crept up my neck. I hadn’t been in another guy’s car since…I felt myself shudder slightly at the thought. The slamming of the driver’s door caught my attention, and I watched as Saxon put the key into the ignition, backing us out of the library lot. I wrung my hands together, unsure of what to say –if anything. I don’t even know what tempted me to get into his car. In fact, I really was regretting the idea. I shouldn’t have done this. Maybe if I asked nicely he would drop me off a ways from my house so I wouldn’t get into any trouble?

“What’s your favorite ice cream?” Saxon’s voice suddenly cut through the silence of the air. I jumped in my seat at his question, not expecting him to say anything.

“Vanilla.” I murmured softly, my eyes retreating to a spot outside the window. We were in some sort of restaurant’s drive-through. I couldn’t even remember the last time I had gotten ice cream with anyone. Mother didn’t let any in the house and the fact we hadn’t done anything as a family since long before my High School years –which included going for ice cream – left me with nothing but a distant memory of the flavor. I faintly heard Saxon talking to someone, a window opening and closing, and felt the car go into drive before something cold brushed my arm.

“Are you going to take it or is my hand just going to freeze here?” A voice pulled my from my thoughts as Saxon held out plain vanilla dish for me.

“Oh, uh, thanks.” I muttered, feeling foolish as I gently took the cold cup from his warm fingers.

“Yup.” He responded. I noticed that he had a cup in the cup holder, extra whip cream seeming to explode from the clear lid.

“What did you get?” I asked softly. He gave me an impish glance.

“Chocolate shake… It’s easier to drive when I’m not trying to balance ice cream in my hands and Marc would kill me if I got ice cream all over the dash board again.” He shook his head, smirking slightly at the memory that was dancing through his eyes. Wait a minute, that didn’t make any sense?

“Why would Marc kill you? Isn’t this your car?” I felt myself frown, tipping my head into Saxon’s direction. He grimaced, as if forgetting something, but gave me an uneasy smile.

“It’s complicated. I’ll explain it eventually.” Then suddenly, a real smile erupted onto his face, causing heat to creep into my cheeks without him needing to even say a word. “We’re here.”

~~~(Saxon’s POV)~~~

“Oh.” Ginger seemed at loss for words for our destination. I felt a smirk curl my lips, unable to help it. So, it wasn’t really chance that I stumbled into her at the library. I actually did go to get something for Dakoda, but only because she bribed me with words like,
                “Ginger’s going to be there…”
                Apparently Dakoda does this thing called listening. I guess that’s how she finds out stuff like this. Anyways, I decided to take Ginger out on a sort-of date. I mean, I didn’t really ask her or anything, but I think it was pretty obvious what this was. Wasn’t it?
                “How’d you ever find this?” She whispered, her flaming hair igniting in the rays of the sun. I shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant.
                “It a family place. Cool huh?” I grinned inwardly as she nodded without a sound, her eyes glowing. Yea, I had done good. We were currently on a hill which had been found by my pack years and years ago, overlooking a spring. In the fading light the sun danced over the clear water. I turned to look at Ginger, her deep eyes revealing shades of lighter blue, gray, and even slightly yellow hues in the rays. She turned her gaze to me, her cheeks flooding with color when she realized I was watching her.

“Yes.” She murmured softly. “It really is.”
                “So…do you really do anything for fun?” I questioned, trying to fill the silence. She had seemed so unacquainted with the word –as if she was hearing it for the first time.
                “I run.” Was all she said, her gaze traveling back to the open space ahead of us.
                “Really? I do too. Sometimes.” I continued on, trying to read the emotions on her face. She was much quieter than I originally thought. “So…” I began, awkwardly rubbing my hand on my neck when she didn’t continue. “How’s your brother?”
You’re asking about her brother? Are you stupid? My wolf growled in my head.
‘What the hell else am I supposed to do? The chick won’t talk!’
Don’t refer to her as the chick again or I swear I’ll -
‘Yea, yea, yea.’
                “My brother?” She questioned, looking amused.
                “Yea… you know with the suspension thing and all…” I continued awkwardly. Damn. Would someone punch me in the face already?
                “Oh…” Ginger sighed, her brow creasing. “No. No he’s not.” She whispered. “None of us are.” She seemed to add as an afterthought. Then her eyes widened as if she just realized what she said. “I –I mean uh, uhm, it’s not like anything bad is going on, it’s just-” She began stumbling over her words and I waved my hand, reassuring her she didn’t have to explain herself. It seemed every time I had a conversation with her she stumbled over her words. It was kind of cute actually. She snapped her mouth closed, wringing her hands together.

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” I reassured her, although I really did want to know. She nodded slowly in response. “But, do you want to play the question game?” I grinned. She licked her lips, eyes glancing to the clock which displayed the time as 6:37 p.m. “It’ll be fun…” I continued, trying to get her to cave. She rolled her eyes.

“What’s the fun in asking a bunch of stupid questions?” She asked, before simultaneously gasping, and covering her mouth. “I didn’t mean that. I’m sorry. It’s just-”

“It’s ok.” I grinned, surprised at how she quickly seemed to apologize for something I didn’t perceive as rude. She sighed, her shoulders slumping. “Although you have to ask the first question because of that.”

“Erm…what’s your favorite color?” She started of lamely, frowning to herself.

“Red.” The corner of my lips curved up when she seemed to twirl her hair between her fingers nervously. We continued on like this for a while, as the sky grew darker and darker, the stars replacing the sun. She answered my questions hesitantly at first, but then quicker and more animated as the questions grew longer and began to delve deeper. My wolf listened as attentively as I was, trying to remember everything she told us, mesmerized in the way her lips moved as she spoke.
                “Alright, tell me a bit about your family.” I asked, curious, leaning back against the car door. Ginger seemed to tense at the mention of her family then relaxed again.

“Well, there’s my dad, my mom, my sister, my brother, and me. My dad’s kind of quiet. He’s more reserved and patient. He’s the CEO for some company I’ve never really bothered to remember. My sister Genevieve is the golden child. She’s smart, athletic, and is never in any trouble with anyone. Then there’s my brother Garret. He’s smart, and a bit outspoken, and always knows what he wants… and my mom… well she’s my mom.” Ginger trailed off, and my wolf stirred slightly, whining. My head tilted, as I watched the sun cast shadows over her cheekbones. Her hands fisted slightly in her lap, while her teeth pressed against her bottom lip, as if biting it would distract her from the thoughts tumbling endlessly in her head.
                “And what about you?” I continued, unsure if trying to comfort her with physical contact would just be weird, or actually welcome.

“What about me?” She whispered, wringing her hands together in her lap, frowning.

“What are you really like?” I continued, running a hand through my hair in frustration. Every question she answered, never really led to anything about her, as if she was avoiding it.

“I don’t understand.” Her eyes never made contact with mine, as if she knew the lie itself would eat her alive.

“I’m not deaf. Everyone at school as you painted as this primped and perfect girl who has everything and is everything.”

“So?” She ground out, her fists tightening. I nodded slowly. That was the answer I needed.

“That isn’t the real you. I can see it in your eyes. Why?” I shrugged, leaning back in the seat.

“It’s… complicated?”

 “I have all night.” Ginger stayed silent for a moment, shadows casting along her face. Vibrating filled the air, and she sighed lowly.

“But I don’t.” Her thin fingers pulled a sleek phone from her pocket and she went to answer it.

Saxon… The wolf in my head warned, getting frustrated.

                Without a seconds thought, I plucked the phone from her hands.

                “Hey-” She protested, reaching for the phone. I clicked the answer button, putting the phone to my ear.

                “Hello?” I answered warmly, grinning at Ginger. She looked livid, hissing at me from her seat to give the phone back.

                “Who is this?” The person on the other end of the phone demanded, seeming aggravated.

                “A friend of Ginger’s. Who is this?” I responded warily.

                “Her mother! Now who are you and where is my daughter!” The woman shrieked, and I winced at the tone.

                “Oops, my apologies Mrs. Wolf. I’m Saxon. Ginger is… in the bathroom currently.” I lied smoothly.

                “As in Saxon Anderson?” Her voice had gone steely.

                “You know my name?” I grinned wider, looking over at Ginger who blushed, causing my wolf-side to growl in approval. Did she talk about me?

                “I know more than just your name you… you… hooligan! Now put my daughter on the phone!” I frowned, suddenly less flattered. Did Ginger say bad things about me?

                “Hooligan?” I echoed, narrowing my eyes. “Well, I’m sorry you think that Mrs. Wolf. Have I given you a reason to say so?”

                “I know all about you and your delinquent friends.” She hissed at me. “Unclean school records, suspensions, horrid grades…” What had she done, stalked me and rummaged through all my records?

                “My delinquent friends?” My fist curled into a ball. No one talked shit about my friends. If it was me? Fine. But leave my friends alone. “Well, if you must know, we’re all in a family business, which is why we miss so much school.”

                “Like a gang?” She whispered, and I could hear the fear in her voice. “You stay away from my children-”

                “If you’d let me explain first, that would be nice.” I cut in sharply. She silenced herself. Beside me Ginger was stoic. “Ginger mentioned your husband is a CEO for a company, is that correct?”

                “Yes...” Her voice trembled, as if the very thought of Ginger talking to me was horrifying.

                “At a bank? For Czarnecki and sons?” I heard Ginger’s sharp intake of breath beside me as she fit two and two together.

                “Yes…”

                “My family owns that bank, the best lawyer firm in the country, and also the Italian restaurant “Morte Bella”, if you must know. We don’t belong to some gang.”

                The only response I got was stuttering from the other end.

                “Now, if you don’t mind, I’d like to continue my date with your lovely daughter. Good evening Mrs. Wolf.”

                “Wait-”

                But I already hung up. Silence fell over the car, before I turned to Ginger, handing the phone to her.

                “You’re mother seems like a keeper.” I said drily, shaking my head, and trying to push back old memories, threatening to unfold.

                “Why’d you tell her we’re on a date?” Ginger said softly, stroking the screen of her phone. I frowned, shrugging.

                “Because if I didn’t, you might have to go.” I tilted my head, waiting for her response. Shit, shit, shit, she didn’t think it was a date.

                “I don’t like playing games, Saxon.” She whispered, her blue eyes had grown cold, colder than I had thought imaginable. Gritting my teeth, I let out a slow sigh. Maybe I shouldn’t have taken her phone?

                “I’m not playing anything.” A low growl slipped into the words, and she jerked in surprise. Throwing the car in reverse, I backed away from the valley, pulling back out onto the road. “Where do you live? I’ll take you home.”

                She told me where it was, and I drove her back in a tense silence, seething. Who would’ve thought one stupid phone call could ruin the whole evening? It was my fault. I blew it. Fuck.

                Pulling into the driveway of a very luxurious house, I stopped, waiting for Ginger to exit the car.

                “I’m sorry.” She whispered. “I didn’t mean to upset you.” Her voice was so meek, so soft, I couldn’t help but groan in exasperation. Throwing a weak smile in her direction, I shook my head, already having forgiven her. Damn wolf.

                “Nothing you need to apologize for. I shouldn’t have answered the phone. See you tomorrow Ginger.” She looked at me a moment longer, calculating my expression, before shaking her head slightly.

                “Yea. Tomorrow.”

A/N
      Sorry that my updates have been far and few between. I have so much I want to write and so little energy/time/space. On break for the rest of the week, so I should be able to update. Tell me what you think and remember this is only part one. Updating the next momentarily, and probably chapter 17 too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.3K 939 44
❛ 𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐦 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 ❜ ⎯ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 the broke...
119K 3.7K 32
Alpha Female Omega Male °°°°----°°°°----°°°°----°°°°----°°°°----°°°°----°°°° ~Breaking-Stereotypes~ Alpha Arya finds her sweet little mate who happen...
220K 9K 40
"I want you." With a touch as light as a feather, Cillian hooked a thick finger under her chin to get a better look at her face. "Look at me." Slowly...
43.7M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...