Chapter 2

Hey guys! Thanks for the votes and comments last chapter! This chapter is kind of, short-ish, and it's more building up, as is the next chapter, where you will be meeting the next character's POV. Now, a few of you mentioned how you thought it would be cool to see things from Cayden's POV, while I was writing ANIP. So... here you go!

Chapter 2

Cayden

                With a sigh, I watched the others leave for school. It wasn’t fair. So what if I was ‘dead’? Couldn’t I get out of the house to do something other than grocery shop? No ability to sneak into clubs without any proof of ID whatsoever. No driver’s license, because I had a tombstone with my fricken’ name on it further up state, in Northern Montana. No citizenship of any sort. Technically speaking, Cayden Monroe didn’t even exist. The wolf inside my head hadn’t talked to me in years, preferring to mope around the corners of my mind. My mate was dead.

Life was just freakin fantastic.

                Squeals of laughter came from the stairs as a few of the children in my pack skipped downstairs, backpacks on shoulders, smiles wide on their faces. Several of them stopped in their tracks when they noticed me sitting at the table, but the others just ignored me. Even so the smiles all faded from their lips, the air grew silent, and overall they pretended I wasn’t there as they began to make their breakfasts and lunches for the school day. I was used to being ignored by the pack. Who would want to be friends with me?

Besides Dakoda... she was always trying to get me to do everything with some pack member or another. Couldn’t a man be left to drown in pity in peace anymore? Letting out a sigh, I stood from the table, causing a few of the youngster’s to flinch. Mumbling a,

                “I’m leaving. Wusses.” I walked back upstairs to my room, glaring around at the messy state. The sheets were rumpled and falling onto the floor. Clothes were strewn in anyplace that was possible: my dresser, my floor, my desk. A pizza box from the night before was sitting on my bed. The garbage bag needed to be replaced. My shoes where discarded around my bed where I had slipped them off before falling into bed. To be honest, there was no way I had ever wanted to go near the pack house, but how could I refuse the Alpha Female when she gave me those huge puppy-dog eyes, practically begging on her knees for me to stay awhile?

No such luck in ignoring the look. My heart wasn’t quite the cold yet.

Key word: yet.

                Growling peevishly, I threw one of my shoes at the wall. In my defense, it was one of the closest things I had near me that wouldn’t break right away. It hit the desk on the far edge of my room, causing the picture frame on it to topple over and hit the ground, the glass protecting the valued photo cracking. Cursing to myself, I began to pick up the broken shards, muttering under my breath all the while. One of the shards sliced my finger, and I sucked the blood that came out of the cut, waiting as it healed.

 The picture from the frame wound up in my fingers, my eyes glued to the frozen memory.

                I had been eight in the picture. Marc and Meeko were both standing next to me, leaving me in the middle. Meeko’s arm was slung over my shoulders, a grin etched on his boyish features. His brown hair was unruly, messed up, and flat in the back, with brown eyes, seeming warm even in the dull, worn picture. Marc, almost the exact replica of his brother was smiling devilishly, eyes rolling and gleaming with laughter.  This had been after he had pulled some prank or another on the Beta, and Marc had been pretty damn proud of it. To me, Marc didn’t look quite as handsome. His brown eyes weren’t quite as warm. His messy hair wasn’t pulled off in the same manner. The smile of his wasn’t as bright as his brother’s. But that’s just what I thought. Dakoda, for sure, would say different.

 I was in the middle, my black hair shaggy as always. My green eyes were uncomfortable, but laughing, still getting used to my new friends. My new family. There was awkwardness in the set of my shoulders, something to do with my wolf making me feel strange; different then when I was human. Even so, the scene was picture perfect.

Holding back a pained breath, the photo was set back on the desk. There would be time to get a different frame later. Right now, I didn't want to reminisce. Leaving the glass abandoned on the floor, I jumped onto my bed, fisting the blankets into my claws while I screamed murderously into the pillow, muffling the loud sound, as flashes from the past flew through my mind.

Meeko's warm smile. His smirk. The sure set of his shoulders, even though he was so young. That confident glint in his warm brown eyes. His hair, always in his face. His voice, always so comforting, even with its childish tone. His teasing voice. His serious voice. Him. Meeko.

Why did you leave me?

It wasn’t fair. Why did Meeko have to die? Why couldn’t it have been me? I could’ve said it was my entire fault; that Meeko was lying to the Alpha, (Which he was) and that the Alpha should’ve punished me instead. He would’ve done it gladly too. He would’ve let my blood run down his fingers, to the grass below, and been done with it. There would be no more torturous pain for me every day when I would wake up in the years to come. There would’ve been no suffering the loss of my mate. If only Meeko hadn’t taken the blame. It wasn’t his fault he died. It was Marc’s idea. Marc’s whole idiotic plan killed him, because being Meeko, he just had to carry through, joking or not.

So, why couldn’t Marc have died? He should’ve just fessed up instead of watching Meeko be murdered. He should’ve done something. He should’ve stopped his dad. He could’ve saved Meeko. I could’ve saved him. All I did was stand there and watch him die. There were no heroic attempts on my part. God, why was I such a coward?

And just like always, there was no reply.

~ Hope you liked it! I'll be updating again by next week! Now, I'm should probably let you know in advance, I won't be writing in Cayden's POV very often... I just don't really like too ;P

~Voting is very welcomed!~

~Comments are nice(;~