Harry Potter and the Unlikely...

By startrek007

a diffrent version on 6th year. new powers and all that More

new story
Chapter 1: How to Cope
Chapter 2: Surprise Visitors
Chapter 3: Sweets and Squibs
Chapter 4: Back at Headquarters
Chapter 5: The Vault
Chapter 6: New Members
Chapter 7: A New Family
Chapter 8: A Lovely Birthday
Chapter 9: OWLS
Chapter 10: Hiding Our Feelings
Chapter 11: The Malfoy Scheme
Chapter 12: Tonks Surprise
Chapter 13: Prefects
Chapter 14: Secrets Revealed
Chapter 15: Secret Admirer

Chapter 16: Growing Powers

2.3K 75 54
By startrek007

Chapter 16: Growing Powers

Harry decided that it was time to have the first DA meeting. He had Hermione spread the word that they would be meeting in the DADA classroom at 6:30 pm on Monday night. He had planned to review most of what they learned last year as a refresher. Remus had told him he could use the classroom for the first meeting until they decided how often to meet and where to hold it at.

Harry was surprised by the turnout. The group had doubled in size since last year. The only ones not there were those who graduated and Cho's friend Marietta who had ratted on them to Umbridge. "Today we are going to review everything we learned last year. Those of you who are new to the DA need to sign the sheet Hermione is passing around. We are still going to try and maintain secrecy with this club, even though we have the support of the school this year. You can bring others who you believe to be trustworthy and willing to work hard." Harry told them all. He was surprised he was commanding that much attention with such a large group. He set them into pairs and he worked with Neville, who no one else wanted to work with.

"We will start with disarming and protecting. I want you to take turns trying to disarm each other, once you can both do it successfully I want the other one of you to try and cast 'protego' and block the spell." The ones who were in DA had no problem with the disarming spell, even Neville summoned Harry's wand on the first try. Most could cast the protego charm as well. "Remember that the more powerful the spell the easier it is to break through your defenses. Watch Neville and me."

Harry told Neville to cast protego and he aimed a low powered disarming spell at him, Neville could keep his wand. "Now watch as I increase the power to the spell." Harry sent a medium powered spell at him and Neville had to struggle to hang onto his wand. "Now I'll give it more power." Harry said the spell again and Neville's wand came soaring to him. "When you fight dark wizards they will not be taking it easy on you, they will come at you with everything they have got. Just because they can do all kinds of complex spells, don't think you can't win by protecting yourself and using your simple spells. Now you all try it again and see if you can break through each other's protection."

Harry sent Neville to work with Ron and Hermione and he wandered around the room giving advice to the rest of the club. They covered the rest of what they had learned last year and Harry told those who were behind to try and practice. He told them he had been planning out lessons and was excited about some spells he found over the summer. They decided to meet on Wednesdays after dinner, that way they could have Quidditch practice before dinner and still get to DA meetings. Hermione handed out the fake gallons to the new members and told them how to work them.

Harry held Neville, Luna, Ginny, the Creevy's, Justin and Hannah from Hufflepuff, Ron and Hermione back after the rest of the club left. "I want to start a smaller club to learn even more complex spells; I was thinking we could meet on Mondays or Thursdays. I might even ask Lupin and Tonks to help us. Would you guys be interested?" Harry asked them. "I want this to be a group of people we all trust would never betray the things we learn and would stand and fight instead of run scared incase the death eaters attack."

They all agreed to join and decided that Monday was a good night to meet in the Room of Requirement. He told them they would be perfecting their Patronus and moving on to even more difficult protective magic before learning the complex offensive spells. It was only 8pm and they decided to practice for another hour, they worked on their Patronus' again, they were all very strong, even Neville's. Harry showed them a few of the spells that he had read about over the summer. One was an even stronger protection charm and another was a spell that protected those around you as well. He cast the charm while standing near to the group and had Ron shoot disarming spells at them, the shield held. He then showed them the charm to mute a person and the one to tie the person up in bonds they could not apparate through or change forms, just in case they were Animagi.

Harry slept very well that night with a feeling of accomplishment in all his friends were able to learn. He would have to thank Remus for the books; of course the dark magic books at home had helped as well. Now Harry could recognize many more spells and know how to defend himself. The next lesson he had planned was to tell them all about the spell that Hermione had been hit with last year and how to defend themselves. It was a very dangerous spell that could have killed her; luckily the blocking spell he had taught them would be quite effective. There were specific blocking spells for a lot of the very bad spells the death eaters would use and he was determined they learned every one.

The next morning Remus told him Dumbledore wanted to speak with him and that he should go see the headmaster rather than come to class since he was still covering Occlumency. As Harry approached the statue to Dumbledore's office he realized he didn't know the password. He decided to test his powers and said, "open." The statue moved aside and let him ride the ascending staircase. He still was getting used to his powers, but it was interesting that he could get through any secret door or passageway without the password.

"Good morning Harry, have a seat." Dumbledore said as he entered, "I am pleased to hear the DA is going well. Have you picked out a name for your little core group yet?"

Harry smiled, he really did know everything that went on in the castle, "No sir, I'm not sure we need one, it's kind of like a Jr. Order, they are the ones I trust the most in the castle and know will fight for our side."

"The reason I called you here today is to inform you that you will be studying to become an animagus with Professors McGonagall and Tonks. I have discussed this matter with the minister and he has agreed that you are to be granted the leave to become and unregistered animagi." The headmaster told him with smiling.

"May I ask why?" Harry said, he had wanted to look into becoming an animagus but he didn't like the idea of being registered.

"I feel it will be another asset you can use against Voldemort," Dumbledore said simply. "It will also help you when you become an Auror, they study animagi during training."

"When do I start?" He asked with a smile, he knew he would have no problem with the process if both McGonagall and Tonks were helping him.

"Thursdays after Transfiguration, just stay after class." Dumbledore said with eyes twinkling. "Also tell the others there will be an Order meeting here in my office at 9 pm on Thursday." Fawkes had flown over to him while Dumbledore had been talking.

"Is it rare to become a Phoenix animagus like Fawkes here?" Harry asked, "And how does it work, does it mean you live forever or only your animagus form?"

"It is said to be impossible to turn into a phoenix animagus, but you and I are one of the only ones that know that is not true. Yes, he lives forever as Fawks, but when his human body died he was reborn from the ashes as Fawkes and can never change back into a man. He is still partially aware that he was once human making him the smartest phoenix to ever have existed. Phoenix are intelligent as is, when they have the mind of one of the greatest wizards it becomes more intelligent than all other magical creatures."

"There is a prophecy that states that Gryffindor's true heir will take flight on the wings of a Phoenix and will be a greater and more powerful wizard than the four Hogwarts founders combined." Dumbledore told him, "Most believe the prophecy means he will ride on a Phoenix but it actually means he will be the Phoenix."

"How long ago was the prophecy made and why are we not taught it in school?" Harry asked him curiously.

"The prophecy was made about 200 years ago and shortly afterwards they discovered a descendent of Gryffindor. The prophecy is taught in the history of magic late in sixth year, I believe it too significant to be taught younger. The true heir will be the most powerful wizard ever to walk the earth." The headmaster told him with his eyes sparking. "He will have powers that he himself doesn't even know."

"Will he be good like Gryffindor? What if he turns to evil like Voldemort?" Harry asked, "I always heard that power corrupts but absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"That phrase holds true for most wizards but I have faith that the heir will overcome. He will not turn to evil, his heart is too pure." The old man told him. Harry headed back to classes, he only had 10 min of DADA left so he headed for charms, Ginny had class before and he wanted to say hello.

"Hello beautiful," He said as he saw her, she hugged him and gave him a kiss before she headed off to her next class. When Harry entered the room Professor Flitwick was standing on top of a ladder and charming a bucket of water from the ceiling. He sat down and had just taken out his wand when Flitwick fell from the ladder. Harry didn't even think, he just pointed his wand at his professor willing him not to fall.

What happened next startled him. Flitwick froze in mid-fall an inch or two before his head would have slammed his head into his desk. Harry moved his wand to the side and guided Flitwick down to the floor, all without uttering a word. Flitwick stared at him for a long time before finally being able to speak. "That was a very good show of power Mr Potter; may I ask where you learned that?" The little man was still slightly shaken from his near miss with his desk.

"I'm not sure what happened professor, I saw you fall and I just remember moving my wand toward you and thinking I didn't want you to fall. Then you just stopped falling and moved you around with my wand, thinking that I wanted you to descend slowly to the floor." Harry said confused at what had happened, that had been powerful magic. When he had fallen from his broom Dumbledore could only slow him down, not stop him completely. The class walked in then keeping him from being questioned further.

They were learning how to charm quills to write for themselves whatever they heard, like the quick quotes quill Rita Skeeter had used. It was a complex charm and would take them a few days to master it. Harry read the instructions and practiced the arm movement and then concentrated on the spell and cast it on his quill. Professor Flitwick came rushing over to Harry the boys quill poised itself on his parchment and started writing. "Well done Mr. Potter, 10 points to Gryffindor that is the fastest I have ever seen anyone master that spell."

He pulled Harry over to a corner of the room and handed Harry a feather. "Think about levitating this feather." The little man told him, "I have a feeling your powers are expanding." Harry focused on the feather and imagined it floating to the ceiling and the feather then left his hand and floated up. "Very good Harry, you have just accomplished wand-less magic. I want you to take this to Professor Dumbledore; he will want to see this." He handed him a quick not and Harry grabbed his bag and made his way to the headmaster's office for the second time that day.

Dumbledore seemed pleased with the note and had Harry show him. He then told him to sit down. "Now Harry, I want you to come up here every Friday at 2:30 and we will practice wand-less magic. It is a very rare talent that only the most talented and powerful wizards' master. It usually takes years and years of practice to master such a thing. The spell you used to stop professor Flitwick from falling is very complex and difficult to cast, even under the best conditions. It is amazing that you were able to cast it at such a critical moment. He suspected that you were able to do wandless magic and by having your wand in your hand you magnified your thoughts enough to stop his fall."

"I cast Lumos without my wand the summer before the 5th year when the Dementors were attacking my cousin. I couldn't find my wand and it was too dark to see so I just said Lumos and my wand lit up about 2 feet from me." Harry told him.

"We will need to keep this ability quiet as well; we don't want the Death Eaters to find out. I'll see you on Friday." He said as Harry went down to the great hall to wait for his friends. He had never thought about wand-less magic before. He had done an essay on it for Professor Flitwick last year and new how rare an ability it was. It was something only very powerful wizards could do and it usually took years and years of practice. He would have to make sure he used his wand, even if it was just for show. It would be a very powerful weapon against Voldemort and he didn't wand word of it to get out.

He waited in the great hall for the class to end so he could talk to his friends; they would be worried about why Flitwick had sent him out of class. "Harry! I was so worried, are you alright?" Hermione gushed when she saw him, even Ron looked a bit nervous.

"Yeah, it's no big deal, since I finished my assignment Professor Flitwick sent me to speak to Dumbledore in his office about some extra classes to ready me for the final battle." Harry said just leaving out the other parts until they were alone. They ate and he and Ron discussed Quidditch.

Harry told them everything he had learned about that day as well as about his extra lessons. "I have animagus training on Thursdays after class and special lesions with Dumbledore on Fridays after class for wand-less magic training, plus I still have Occlumency with Snape on Tuesdays and Quidditch on Mondays and Wednesdays after class and DA after dinner." He sighed thinking about the extra work he was going to have to do.

"At least you seem to be picking up your class work easily, that charm you did today should have at least taken you a day to learn and you had it done in less than 15 min. Professor Flitwick told the class that you must have been studying hard over the summer just to cover for the fact that it was almost impossible that you did it so fast." Hermione told him, "And you have been doing the best in most of our other classes as well. You are the point leader for Gryffindor and you haven't even played Quidditch yet."

"We better head down to Herbology, I don't want to be late." He told them, kissing Ginny good bye and shouldering his bag before heading downstairs. He had brought his pensive but decided not to use it for Occlumency since the entire school knew of his and Ginny's relationship now.

He sprinted to Snape's classroom to make it on time; it had taken him a while to clean the dirt off his robes. He cleared his mind and had his wand ready before opening the door. It was a good thing, as soon as he had walked through the door Snape had started, just to try and catch him off guard.

It took Snape almost 10 minutes to break through the barrier of Harry's mind and only about 30 seconds for Harry to throw him out. Snape looked impressed; he had definitely improved since their last lesson. Harry was usually winded after Snape had probed his mind, but he felt fine and already had his barrier back in place at full strength. In fact, it was Snape who looked tired at the strain of breaking through.

Harry saw Snape raise his wand and mutter the spell. "No!" Harry though forcefully and Snape's efforts stopped abruptly. Harry's mind was now impenetrable.

"Impossible!" Snape said taking a step backwards, "Where did you learn that?"

"I just decided I didn't even want you to attempt access to my mind, and then you couldn't get in." Harry shrugged.

"The level of magic needed to perform such a spell is way beyond you Potter, how is it possible that you used it?" Snape seemed to be talking more to himself than Harry. How could just a boy be able to perform a spell that almost all grown wizards were incapable of?" Snape thought to himself.

"I don't know sir, perhaps it was an accident. I'm sure that if most grown wizards cannot perform it, it must have been a mistake." Harry said, watching Snape's eyes get huge and him back away from Harry. Harry had heard Snape's thoughts clear as day and didn't realise they were thoughts, he thought he had spoken them out loud.

Snape started at the boy in front of him who had heard his thoughts. He decided to test it and see. "Have you been practising every night like I instructed?" He thought.

"Yes sir, I clear my mind before sleep every night." Harry said confused as Snape gasped and tossed a handful of floo powder into the fire.

"Remus, Dumbledore, will you please join me in my office." He said still looking at Harry as if he had sprouted a second head. The other two men arrived shortly. Remus looked confusedly between Harry and Severus and Dumbledore smiling, his eyes twinkling fiercely.

"Very well done Harry, it's not many who can learn Legilimency so easily." Dumbledore sent to min through his thoughts.

"What do you mean sir?" Harry asked out loud, still unaware that he was reading thoughts. Remus looked startled that Harry had spoken to Dumbledore as if they had been in the middle of a conversation.

"It seems you have mastered the skill of Legilimency. The comment I made to you I uttered only in my mind, I never spoke. I believe that you also read on of Professor Snape's thoughts and that is why he summoned us here. Am I correct Severus?"

"Yes sir, he also learned to completely block his mind, you know what kind of magic is required for such a task." Severus said looking at him hoping for an explanation.

"It seems Harry's powers are growing. We discovered he had the power of voice earlier this summer and just today he performed wand-less magic." Dumbledore said, making Remus gasp and Snape's eyes to narrow. "He is demonstrating remarkable powers; it is now clear that Voldemort is right to fear him."

"Sir, may I ask why these powers are surfacing now?" Harry asked still confused.

"Yes Harry, these powers emerge at adulthood. You are 16, almost of age; it is only natural that some of your powers emerge now." The headmaster told him.

"Some? You think there will be more Professor?" Remus asked shocked at how powerful that would mean Harry was.

"Yes, I believe these are only the first of the powers we will see from Harry." His eyes were sparkling mischievously, so Harry knew there was more that he wasn't telling him. "No worries Harry all will be revealed when it is time. For now just be aware and report any new or strange occurrences to Remus as soon as possible."

"How shall I proceed with the Occlumency lessons, sir?" Snape asked.

"Continue to train him; I think you should also teach him to control his Legilimency as well." Dumbledore said as he left. Remus decided he better stay, if Harry was going to try and access Severus' mind, bad things might happen.

Snape explained the finer points of Legilimency to Harry and put some more thoughts into his pensive. Harry took hold of his wand and aimed it at his professor before saying, "Legilimens." Harry could see the barrier Snape had put up to protect his mind and he looked for a weak spot. Finding it he concentrated on cracking the barrier. Suddenly memories from Snape's past came flooding past him. The day he got his Hogwarts letter, being sorted into Slytherin, being in class sitting next to a red headed girl that looked a lot like Ginny. He saw his father and Sirius tormenting him then the same red head came forward and broke up the fight, which was when Harry realized it was his mother. Suddenly the thoughts were gone and Snape was panting on the floor in front of him.

Snape stood and pointed his wand at Harry saying the same spell. Harry willed himself to stay strong and not allow Snape to find a weak spot. After about 15 min of trying Snape gave up and sat down panting. Harry flicked his wand and conjured a tall glass of water with lime for his professor. For some reason, Harry knew that Snape drank his water with lime and that he was extremely thirsty. Snape gulped down the water.

"Professor Dumbledore is right about your power growing Potter," Snape said after finishing his water. "I could not even begin to crack your barrier. You were able to break down my defenses in only a few minutes. Even the Dark Lord has not been able to penetrate the barrier I put around my mind. I believe you will sufficiently able to protect yourself from him, however you need to hone your Legilimency skill so you can find the information you desire quickly and get out, before the person realizes you were in their mind. We will start that next week, read this book in the meantime." Snape said handing him a thick volume from his shelf.

Remus walked Harry to the great hall for dinner, with his arm around him. Thinking how proud he was of Harry and how he hoped he could learn to control all his new powers. "Don't worry Moony, I'll be ok, besides I have you here to help me." Harry said smiling and heading over to the Gryffindor table to join his friends.

He spent the rest of the night reading the book Snape had given him and finishing his astronomy homework. The star chart was simple now that he had a complete model of the solar system. Harry put his homework in his bag and left to do his prefect rounds. He had Astronomy at 10 pm so he took his bag with him as it was 9pm and his rounds took an hour. He came around the corner and saw Remus and Peeves. Peeves had a large vase raised above his head and Remus was trying to talk him out of throwing it at him, without success. Peeves was laughing and chanting, "Loony Loony Lupin."

Harry approached and yelled in his powerful and commanding voice, "Put the vase down gently Peeves, I don't want to hear about you making any trouble for Professor Lupin again. Do you understand?" Peeves nodded and set the vase back upon its pedestal, before zooming off down the corridor.

"I guess your power works on poltergeists as well," Remus said chuckling before continuing to the staff room. Harry smiled, he liked the thought that he could control Peeves; it would make sneaking out to meet Ginny a whole lot easier.

Harry and Malfoy were instructed to put all the telescopes away since they were on prefect duty. The entire class had been escorted back to the dormitories other than them. "I hear you broke up with Amanda," Harry said trying for conversation. Ginny had tried to convince him that Malfoy had changed, but he hadn't seen any evidence of it yet,

"Yes, I was having wandering eyes and it was not fair to her. She deserves someone who will treat her with the respect she deserves." Malfoy said making Harry stare in wonder, that was a very non-Malfoy statement.

"Remus treated her that way before you came along." Harry told him honestly.

"I know, I even told her she should go back to him and that I understood why he had lied to her about what he was. I told her that she was such an amazing woman and he most likely was afraid she would leave him if she knew the truth. I am sorry for ruining their relationship, but I'm not sorry for the time I spent with her. It was the best summer I've ever had." Malfoy told his rival, the one Ginevra loved.

"So you have changed then?" Harry asked incredulously, "Both Ginny and Amanda insist you have, I just wouldn't believe it."

"I haven't really changed; it's just that now that you sent my father to Azkaban, I'm free to be myself. I don't have to worry about his reaction or fear his punishments anymore." Malfoy said, "I never wanted to act like I did, but it was the only way to please my father. If you knew the awful things he did" Malfoy said trailing off as memories of being beaten and tortured came to the surface of his thoughts.

Harry gasped; he had just seen images of Luscious torturing Draco, even using the Cruciatus curse on him. "I'm sorry too then Malfoy," Harry said extending his hand to him, "perhaps we should let our old rivalries die."

Draco looked for any signs of falsehood on Potters part and not finding any shook the other boy's hand. "We'll always be rivals on the Quidditch field though Potter, no amount of friendship will change that." Draco put away the last telescope and left the tower.

"I told you he had changed." Ginny said whispering in Harry's ear through the invisibility cloak. Harry smiled as her invisible arms snaked their way around his body. Ginny loved meeting him on the Astronomy tower; it was so peaceful and romantic.

Harry pulled her closer and locked the door with his wand. He transfigured a bench into a fluffy mattress and he and Ginny lay down to gaze at the stars. It was one of their favourite activities, just holding each other and watching the heavens. A shooting star went by and before Harry could wish he heard Ginny's wish. "Please let Harry defeat Voldemort, I couldn't bear to live without him." Harry pulled her even closer; he had never realised just how deep their love had grown.

"I love you Gin," He said kissing her forehead, "We'll be together when this war is over. I know we will make it through, we love each other too much not to."

Draco was pacing his dormitory; he was still surprised by Potter's offer of friendship. Ginevra had obviously not told him that he had hit on her; otherwise he would have been hexed to oblivion by now. Draco wondered if he would make it through the war, if he joined the Dark Lord he would be able to tell that Draco was not entirely loyal and he would be killed. If he stayed neutral his father would have the Death Eaters kill him for his disobedience. But if he joined Potter's side he just might have a chance at living. He hated the Dark Lord almost as much as the rest of them did and he would enjoy killing his father's fellow death eaters. Perhaps he should talk with Dumbledore; Amanda had been instructing him to do so since the summer, maybe he was finally ready to take sides.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.4K 2.1K 31
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
162K 3.7K 62
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
84.6K 3.3K 7
2 tom dylogii ,,Agony"
26.9K 1.2K 34
Rihanna is a high school girl about to graduate when she meet the don will they live happily or will they argue all the time.........