Harry Potter and the Unlikely...

By startrek007

a diffrent version on 6th year. new powers and all that More

new story
Chapter 1: How to Cope
Chapter 2: Surprise Visitors
Chapter 3: Sweets and Squibs
Chapter 4: Back at Headquarters
Chapter 5: The Vault
Chapter 6: New Members
Chapter 7: A New Family
Chapter 9: OWLS
Chapter 10: Hiding Our Feelings
Chapter 11: The Malfoy Scheme
Chapter 12: Tonks Surprise
Chapter 13: Prefects
Chapter 14: Secrets Revealed
Chapter 15: Secret Admirer
Chapter 16: Growing Powers

Chapter 8: A Lovely Birthday

1.9K 74 38
By startrek007

Chapter 8: A Lovely Birthday

It took two weeks for the paperwork to go through for the adoption. All Harry and Remus had to do was go to the ministry and sign some forms and it would be complete. They used the floo network to get there and arrived in the middle of the large atrium by the fountain that only a few months ago contained the statues of a wizened wizard, witch, centaur and house elf. They had been destroyed when he fought against Voldemort after the prophecy was smashed.

"I see they didn't rebuild the statues that were in the fountain." Harry mumbled on the way to the registration desk. The ministry seemed more subdued and less friendly since the last time he had been there during business hours.

"They did fix the statues, but they refused to be placed inside the fountain, so it remains empty. There was an article in the Prophet about it. It seems they kept wandering out of the fountain when they tried to place them back in there." Remus seemed to find the situation funny.

"I owe my life to those statues, if they hadn't been guarding me I'm sure I would have been hit with a few unforgivables." Harry told them as they stopped at the desk to check in. They handed the man behind the desk their wands.

"Harry Potter!" The young man exclaimed, "Is it true you fought against Voldemort right here in the atrium?" He seemed thrilled with the idea that a famous battle had taken place inches from where he worked.

Remus had his wand weighed and they left without answering the man's questions. They headed for the elevator and met Mr. Diggory on their way up. "Amos," Remus acknowledged.

"Hello Remus," Amos Diggory replied, he had lost a lot of the spark he had before Cedric died. "Harry. The house elf that was brought to me was disposed of, it would not cooperate in any way and used its magic to try and escape." He told them referring to Kreacher.

"Thank you, Amos. it was a danger to the Order." Remus told him, Harry looked surprised that Remus would mention the Order in front of a non-member. "Amos is a member Harry, don't worry." Remus smiled seeing the look on his face.

"I want to do everything I can to help you stop that man, after what he did to Cedric" Amos trailed off.

"I will make him pay for all the lives he's taken and destroyed or I'll die trying." Harry told the father of the first person he ever saw die.

"That means more to me than I can say, Harry." Amos said before Harry and Remus got off the lift. They finished signing all the paperwork. Remus was officially Harry's father; they were a family forever now.

"Now you just need to find me a mum," Harry joked as they left, "You know, Tonks is a nice girl." He loved the stunned look on Remus' face.

"That's just the thing, Harry, she still is a girl. I'm almost old enough to be her father." Remus told his 'son' he liked that Harry thought Tonks wasn't too young, it made him feel young.

"So what? I say that if you like someone, there should be nothing stopping you from being together." He told him, he knew that Tonks had a crush on his 'dad' but he wasn't going to say anything to Remus yet. Harry was much more perceptive than Hermione gave him credit for.

"You are one to talk; I don't see you going out with any girls." Remus told him

"I don't want to put anyone else in harm, everyone that Voldemort thinks I care about he tries to kill. You knew what you were getting into, how can I expect a girl to like me enough to risk dying just because I care about her?" Harry said as they arrived back home.

"But if you let him decide who you care about, you're just letting him destroy more lives." Remus said. It was sad that Harry couldn't be a normal teenager. "Let's just go to the kitchen and get some dinner." He said steering him to the door.

Harry opened the door, "Surprise!" Everyone yelled out. "Happy Birthday Harry," they said smiling.

"Birthday?" Harry asked he hadn't even realized what the date was; it was the first time he hadn't stayed up the night before to watch the clock turnover. "I didn't even realize." He said smiling at all his friends.

There was a giant spread of food and Fred and George had decorated with magic streamers that floated around the ceiling. There was a cake and everything. "I've never had a birthday party before." He told them all.

"The Weasleys throw the best birthday parties!" Ron said clapping him on the back as they all sat down to eat. "First we stuff ourselves and them we dance and open presents."

"Dance time!" Fred said excitedly standing up and grabbing Ginny. Mr. Weasley flicked his wand an upbeat song filled the air. Fred and Ginny danced and twirled around. Bill and Mrs. Weasley were cutting a rug too.

"Come on Harry, the birthday boy has to dance!" Ginny called out laughing as Fred spun her around.

"I can't dance!" Harry said putting his head down, "Why do you think I hated the ball during the 4th year so much?"

"Come on Harry, let's give it a try," Tonks said holding out her hand, "You can't be any worse than me, you know I'm a klutz!" She said laughing as they joined the rest of the group that was dancing. As it turned out, Harry wasn't a bad dancer once he relaxed and started enjoying himself.

"Ron, Hermione, come on if I'm dancing you two better get dancing too!" Harry called to them; he knew they wanted to dance with each other but wouldn't admit it; they just needed a little push. "Let's go, get up, and get over here!"

They got up and started dancing together. Harry winked at Ginny and gestured toward Ron and Hermione, she giggled at how easily Harry got them to dance. "I need a drink" he told Tonks, "why don't you dance with Remus for a while." Harry told her with a smirk as she went up and started dancing with Lupin, they looked good together, just like Ron and Hermione did.

Harry watched his friends dancing while sipping his Butterbeer. Fred and Ginny came over to get a drink too. "You having fun Harry?" George asked, "Why aren't you dancing?"

"I lost my partner to my new parent." Harry smiled, "Looks like I get to sit this one out." He drained the last bit of his Butterbeer, he loved the warm feeling it gave him.

"Nonsense, you're the birthday boy, dance with Ginny." Fred said pushing Ginny into his arms, making her blush.

They started dancing, Ginny was a great dancer. He felt more at ease dancing with her than with Tonks. He looked over to Tonks and Remus and then to Ron and Hermione with a smile on his face. "Looks like you're playing matchmaker." Ginny whispered so no one else could hear.

"Ron's an idiot for not realizing he's fallen for her, and Remus is too worried about the age difference to realize Tonks fancies him. Are all of us men this dense?" Harry asked looking deep into her kaleidoscope eyes.

"Yes, "Ginny smiled, "unless you want to prove the theory wrong." Just then the music changed to a slow song. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were dancing very close; the other four were as well. "Do you still want to dance?" Ginny asked trying to sound like it was not big deal either way, when she really just wanted to wrap her arms around Harry.

"Sure, I'm not too good at this so don't be surprised when I step on your toes." Harry said pulling her close to him. He wrapped his arms around her waist and smiled as she snaked her arms around his neck, playing with his shaggy black hair.

"Does your hair ever look any different?" She asked, she loved the feel of his hair, it was so soft.

"Only when it's wet. Once my aunt cuts it all off except for a piece to cover my scar I was so scared to go to school but when I woke up the next morning, it was back to normal." He told her, reaching up to touch her mane of red hair. "You're hair is beautiful. It sort of reminds me of my mother's hair. Except yours is even shinier."

"I used to think my red hair was a curse, but when you talk about it, it almost seems special." Ginny smiled, looking deep into his green eyes.

"It is special, only special women get to have natural red hair. In the muggle world, women would pay a lot of money to get hair like yours." He told her, not realizing he was pulling her even closer to his body while they talked.

Remus looked over smiling at Harry and Ginny. "Looks like Harry found himself a dance partner." He told Tonks who looked even happier than she had when he had asked her to dance. Remus had a suspicion that she fancied him, he figured that was why Harry mentioned him dating her.

"Ginny must be having fun, if the boy I liked was holding me that close I'd be positively glowing." Tonks said looking into Remus' blue-grey eyes that seemed both so full of life and so full of pain and sadness. Remus caught the hint and decided to test his theory. He pulled her closer in his arms watching her smile and her eyes twinkle in an almost Dumbledore fashion. "Well now Mr. Lupin, I heard you were a Marauder, but I wasn't sure you still had it in you." She smiled and batted her eyelashes at him.

"You and Lily would have gotten along great, she used to tease me that I knew all the tricks, I just never used them. I guess I'm just a shy wolf." He said, trying to remind her of his dangerous side.

Tonks leaned closer to whisper in his ear, "Yes, but you are the sexiest wolf I've ever met." Well, there it was she had laid it all out on the table. Now he knew for sure, even though she knew he had suspicions. It was his move now.

"You wouldn't think that if you saw me during the full moon. I'm a monster when I transform." He said quietly looking at his feet. He knew she liked him, but could she still care even with the monster that lurked below the surface.

"I'm not afraid." She told him, smiling and running her finger along his neckline. In response, Remus pulled her even further into his arms and buried his face in her currently jet black hair (for Harry's birthday).

The slow song ended and all the couples broke apart. "Let's let Harry open his presents now." Mrs. Weasley said smiling at Harry as the all sat around the table which now had his gifts stacked on top of it.

Mrs. Weasley had knitted him a blanket to put on his bed here at home. They also gave him a red shirt with golden snitches on it that moved around the shirt. Dobby had made Harry two more pairs of socks and Winky gave him a plate.

"If you asks it for food it will appear on the plate, now you won't be hungry at Hogwarts." She squeaked and then blushed when he hugged her in thanks.

Ron got him a book titled "The Everyday Guide to Pranks, Jokes, and Breaking Rules" Harry laughed as Mrs. Weasley scolded Ron. Remus laughed loudly, just the book the son of a Marauder needed! Hermione gave him an autographed poster of the Bulgarian Quidditch Team and England's Team (courtesy of her friendship with Victor Krum) as well as a book on "Spectacular Seekers and Special Moves".

Fred and George whispered that they had a huge box of items that was better if their mum didn't see as they handed Harry a small box with a key in it. "It's a copy of Filch's office door key. Now you can see what else he's confiscated." They smiled as Mrs. Weasley looked questioning at the key (she didn't hear what it opens). "Don't worry mum we wouldn't give Harry anything that he could get in trouble with at school." The told her sweetly.

Remus brought out the Pensieve Harry had asked for. "I couldn't think of anything to get you, so I thought you might like to visit one of my memories of your mother and father. He pulled a silvery substance from his temple and placed it in the stone bowl. Harry approached cautiously and finally touched the vapor like liquid. Instantly he was thrown into the pensive and his feet touched the soft earth.

Looking around he saw he was at Hogwarts by the lake. He saw Remus and Sirius hiding in a clump of bushes spying on his parents. Harry walked closer to his parents to hear their conversation.

"Why do you still hate me, Lily?" James asked gently, scooting closer to her on the bench they were sitting on.

"I don't hate you, James," Lily responded quietly, "I don't hate you at all." She said looking deep into his hazel eyes.

"I've changed a lot this year Lily, I hope you see that I'm not the insensitive jerk I used to be. You've made me want to change for the better." He said taking her hand, "Please give me a chance. Let me spend my life proving how much you mean to me."

"James," She said smiling placing her other hand on his cheek. "You didn't need to change." James looked hurt; he had tried so hard for nothing. Lily Sensing his despair turned his face towards hers. "You didn't need to change because I like you just the way you are, arrogant jerk and all."

James looked stunned. Harry smiled; this was where his parents finally got together. "I love you, Lily Evans." He said while looking into her piercing green eyes. "You would make me the happiest man alive if you would go out with me."

"I love you, James, I just never realized it before. I'm sorry it took me so long." Lily said pressing her lips to his in a tender kiss. Harry smiled, that was what Remus wanted to show him, their first kiss. The world suddenly righted itself and he was back in the kitchen.

"That was the best present!" Harry said running to hug Remus, "Their first kiss was great, I can't believe you and Sirius spied on them through all that!"

"We couldn't help ourselves, we had overheard Lily telling one of her friends that she liked James and then when he asked her to go to the lake with him and she agreed, we just had to know what was going on. We spent 6 ½ years trying to keep them from killing each other and less than a month from school being over for good they stopped fighting and two weeks later was their first kiss." Remus told Harry. They all ate cake and the adults went up to bed along with Fred and George. Ron and Hermione went to finish their game of wizard's' chess they had started before the party.

"Harry," Ginny said, "I didn't want to give you your present in front of everyone." She told him handing him a purple wrapped package, inside was a red leather bound journal with his name sparkling in gold letters. "I thought it might help on days when you need someone to talk to about things. You have so many responsibilities. I know you miss Sirius and are worried about Voldemort. I know you haven't been talking about it to Ron and Hermione. Maybe this will help."

"Thanks, Gin," He said hugging her. He suddenly became very aware of how close together they were. Her presence soothed his nerves, made him feel secure almost invincible.

"Can I ask you something?" She said only slightly pulling away. He nodded so she continued. "Did you really mean what you said to me a few weeks ago about me being amazing and that any guy would be stupid to not want me?"

"You know I did Gin," He told her softly smiling.

"So if I liked someone I was friends with, you think he'd end our friendship if I told him how I feel if he didn't feel the same?" She asked looking straight at him, reading his face.

"He's a very lucky guy; I just hope he treats you with respect. I'll help Ron curse him if he hurts you." Harry told her, not sure why it felt like his heart just got ripped out. When he imagined Ginny with some guy, he felt a tight pain in his chest. That was when he realized why Hermione had been calling him dense; he hadn't realized that he had fallen for Ginny.

"Promise?" Ginny asked, scared of what she was about to do. Harry nodded not wanting his voice to show how it pained him to know she liked someone else. "OK, then." Ginny leaned in on her tiptoes and kissed Harry on the lips. It was tender and sweet. Electricity shot down both of their spines. She smiled at him as she pulled away, "Happy Birthday Harry." She said walking out of the room to go to bed.

Harry stood there stunned with his hand to his lips where she had just kissed him. It was the best kiss he had ever had; it sent shivers up and down his body. He so wanted to do that again! He walked out of the kitchen in a kind of trance, not even noticing the two smiling house elves in the corner of the room who had witnessed the entire thing. He lay in bed trying to sort out his feelings, not noticing that Ron didn't seem able to sleep either.

Harry liked Ginny, she was one of his closest friends, but he had never really thought about it being more than that. He knew she had a crush on him up until last year. It was last year they had become friends. He was also afraid of what Ron's reaction would be to him liking his little sister, or any of the Weasleys for that matter. He loved them all and didn't want to ruin that relationship for a teenage romance. He sighed out loud.

Ron was lying awake thinking about how it felt nice dancing with Hermione. He hated the thought of her going out with Viktor Krum and hated Malfoy for the things he said about her. Could he really have fallen in love with one of his best friends? What would Harry think? What if he liked her too? Ron was afraid to loose their close friendship. He sighed loudly, at the same time Harry had. They looked at each other and laughed. "Trouble sleeping mate?" Ron asked him.

"Yeah, but I'm guessing you can't sleep due to girl problems." Harry told him.

Ron looked suspiciously at Harry, had he been that obvious that Harry already knew he fancied her? "Sort of, I'm just trying to figure some stuff out."

"If it helps, I think she fancies you too." Harry told him smiling at the shocked look on Ron's face. "Did you ever think that the reason you two fight and argue all the time is because you like each other? Look at what happened when she went to the Yule Ball with Krum, you were practically foaming at the mouth you were so angry, but the only reason you were mad was because you really wanted to be there with her." Ron shrugged, "And look how many times you've gotten into trouble because you tried to curse Malfoy for saying something bad about her. We are both her friends and both hate Malfoy, but you're the one always rushing to defend her honor."

"When did you become so observant about girls?" Ron asked him, "And am I just an idiot for not realizing this?"

"I'm trying to be more observant in general, you know what Moody says, 'Constant Vigilance!' besides you're a guy; we're not supposed to understand girls." Harry told his friend.

"But if you figured it out and you're a guy, she has to have realized, she's the cleverest witch in our year." Ron said miserably, "She must think I'm a total git."

"She's always thought that, so you don't have to worry!" Harry joked as Ron hit him with his pillow. "Besides, would she have danced with you all night if she didn't at least like you a little?"

"Girls are so frustrating!" Ron called out.

"Tell me about it." Harry said sighing again. Ron looked over at his friend smiling.

"You having girl problems too?" he asked Harry.

"Kind of." Harry said, knowing he couldn't tell Ron about Ginny. "I'm just afraid that Voldemort is going to hurt anyone I'm close to, I need to distance myself so that nobody else gets hurt. You guys are stuck, he already knows about you."

"So is there someone special you like?" Ron asked him, "You do not still like Cho do you?"

"Cho? No, I'm totally over her. In fact, I'm not sure I ever really liked her, I just thought she was pretty, as soon as I got to know her I didn't like her anymore. Besides, I don't need someone that high maintenance. I want someone who I can talk to and have fun with, someone who gets along with you and Hermione so we can all hang out." Harry said, trying to be as vague as possible.

"Don't forget about Ginny." Ron told him.

"What about Ginny?" Harry squeaked out, hoping Ron wouldn't notice his red face and figure out he liked his sister.

"Whoever you hook up with, she'll have to get along with Ginny too." Ron said.

"Yeah, I don't think that will be a problem." Harry said turning to his side to sleep. He didn't want to talk about girls anymore in case Ron figured out about Ginny.

Ginny and Hermione were sitting smiling on Ginny's bed. Ginny had told her that she had kissed Harry. They were sitting listening to the boys through extendable ears. "So my idiot brother finally figured it out, it sure took him long enough," they laughed as Ron talked about Hermione knowing. Ginny sat up very straight when Ron asked Harry about his girl problems. She was touched that Harry would sacrifice having a love life to keep more people from getting hurt and was glad to hear him say he was totally over Cho. Hermione giggled at Harry's last comment about it not being a problem having the girl he likes get along with Ginny.

"What's so funny?" Ginny asked confused, she really had hoped Harry didn't like anybody, but it sounded like he did.

"Nothing," Hermione said, she wanted the two of them to get together on their own terms. "I was just picturing Ron's face when I gave Harry those posters Victor helped me get," she said trying to cover what she actually found funny. The girls put the extendable ears away and went to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 1.9K 47
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲/𝐧'𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭-𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬/𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...
107K 4K 22
فيصل بحده وعصبيه نطق: ان ماخذيتك وربيتك ماكون ولد محمد الوجد ببرود وعناد : ان مارفضتك ماكون بنت تركي !
80.8K 2.1K 31
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
272K 7.8K 133
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."