Reincarnate: My Rival

By PenOverPaper

"Being a rival sucks. Especially when you're the center of everyone's hatred." Gael Fallon is a well-known ri... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Where it all starts
Chapter Two: Witch's Warning
Chapter Three: Plan
Chapter Four: Truce
Chapter Five: Execute Plan
Chapter Six: Gael Fallon
Chapter Seven: Comeback
Chapter Eight: Little Amber
Chapter Nine: Deal
Chapter Ten: Tea Party
Chapter Eleven: Hello Heroine
Chapter Twelve: Puppet
Chapter Thirteen: Puppeteer
Chapter Fourteen: Back to Normal
Chapter Fifteen: The Ball
Chapter Sixteen: Hidden Character
Chapter Seventeen: Masochist
Chapter Eighteen: Little Tigress
Chapter Nineteen: Game Over
Chapter Twenty : Stalker
Chapter Twenty-One: Father-in-law
Chapter Twenty-Two: Mother-in-law
Chapter Twenty-Three: Brothers
Chapter Twenty-Four: Yandere
Chapter Twenty-Five: School Arc
Chapter Twenty-Six: Forest Pureheart
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Galoway Town
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Infinite Bookshop
Chapter Thirty: Luxurie Eclipse
Chapter Thirty-One: Luna Bookstore
Chapter Thirty-Two: Clues
Chapter Thirty-Three: More Clues
Chapter Thirty-Four: Backup
Chapter Thirty-Five: Soteria's Cloak
Chapter Thirty-Six: Skeleton and Bones
Chapter Thirty-Seven: True Colors
Chapter Thirty-Eight: First Day
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Seven's Past
ready?
Chapter: CLOSE

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Witch of the Counter

16.5K 769 120
By PenOverPaper

One by one, I put everything on the counter as the old lady calculate how much amethyst I need to pay. After finishing putting all of the stuff, I took a glimpse at the old lady.

Having witnessed Grandma Jill in her youthful appearance eventhough she's already in her 60s, the old lady in front of me looks really like an old lady, with her white hair and wrinkles. I take a peek of her name plate and was dumbfounded with what was written on it.

'Witch of the Counter'

But then, right before my eyes, the words moved as if it were alive and started to form new words.

'Cohtet Cunwic of the Infinite Bookstore'

I blinked before shaking my head and rubbing my eyes. Did the letters just move? Or am I just hallucinating?

"Dear, you know staring is rude." The old lady, or Miss Cohtet said with a mysterious smile.

"I'm sorry but I think I saw something... never mind." I mumbled while Miss Cohtet only continued to smile mysteriously which kinda freaked me out a little.

After neatly putting my things in a bag she then turned to me, "That's ten thousand amethyst, dear."

I nodded and then handed her my ID. She took a glimpse at my ID and... is it just me? Or her smile suddenly widen?

I shook my head to get rid of the thought as I watch Miss Cohtet slide my ID through a glass which suddenly shone a green color. After that, she handed me my ID.

As I was getting my ID, my finger unintentionally brushed by Miss Cohtet's ruby ring.

Suddenly, I felt a pang of pain inside my head as if it was being hammeredy as series of pictures and unknown voices flash inside my head. I couldn't comprehend what are the voices saying to me because they were overlapping with each other while the pictures are all blurred. The pain intensified as words then floated in front of me.

'Seven devils all around you.'

What? Seven devils? Ugh.

I groaned as I grip on to the edge of the counter. My body feels like it was about to collapse anytime.

"Change their fate, in order to change yours." The lady said mysteriously before turning around.

As I was about to collapse, I then heard Forest shout as she cast a cushion spell on me in order for me not to fall hard on the ground.

"Hey Amber! Are you okay?" She asked as she continuously pat my cheeks.

I nodded and tried my best to stand up. Although I still felt a bit dizzy, I was able to stand up properly after a few tries.

I looked at the counter and was shocked to see that no one was there.

"Hey Forest, did you see an old lady standing here a moment ago?"

Forest frown before shaking her head, "No. You're the only one here standing. You looked like you're in pain so I immediately rush here. Why? What's the problem?"

"No. It's nothing." I mumbled before grabbing my bag full of school supplies as we head down the first floor.

"By the way, did you find the book you were searching?" I asked as we squeeze through the crowd. I tried changing the topic because I don't want forest to think i'm paranoid.

She nodded before pushing the door. As we finally exited the place, she told me the book she was searching for.

"Potions for Dummies? I bought a book like that too." I said as I show her the book. The book is thick and its cover is color dark violet with the title printed in golden in the middle.

"Did you encountered any problem when you purchased that book?"

I shook my head at her question.

"Lucky you. I even fight my way to get this book." She said with a frown.

Forest then suddenly stop. I stop also as I look at the restaurant in front of me.

"

Are you hungry?" I asked as Forest nodded vigorously.

I sighed as I pull her arm with me.

We sat in a table near the window. Hm, the restaurant looks decent enough for even nobles to enter here.

"Excuse me young ladies but what would the two of you would like to order?" The waitress asked politely as she handed me and Forest the menu.

I took a quick glance, "I would like the pasta, soup, rice with sea food, iced tea and a slice of black forest cake please." I ordered as I handed her the menu.

"Hm, mine would be the salad, pasta and lemonade, please."

The waitress nodded before turning around to leave.

"Just that?" I asked after I heard her order.

She smiled sheepishly, "I get full easily."

I nodded as I look at the scenery outside the window. It was silent in our table but not the awkward silence. Because Forest is busy reading the potions book that she didn't even bothered starting a conversation anyways.

I don't mind it because I was busy thinking about what happened earlier.

Witch of the Counter. Cohtet Cunwic of the Infinite Bookstore. Seven devils all around me. Change their fate, in order to change mine.

I frown as I recall the old lady earlier. I didn't remember encountering and making a character like her in the game. There are only two possibilities that I can think of, one is that the character might be a virus or a glitch and two, it might be that my parents added her without me knowing.

In order to confirm my suspicion, I tried asking Forest.

"Uhm... hey Forest. Do you know the Witch of the Counter?" I asked but suddenly, I was bewildered bu her actions.

She look at me with wide eyes as the book fell on her lap.

"What? What's wrong? I only asked if you know who is the Witch of the Counte-... ohmff!"

"Shh! Don't say that out loud!"

I frown. Why is she acting weird?

"What about it?"

Forest tried looking around to check if someone is listening before telling me to move closer.

"You didn't know the story of it?"

I cocked a brow, "Would I ask if I know?"

She nodded, "Right, right. It only shocked me that you didn't know because that story is well-known."

"So, what about that witch?"

"The witch of the counter. Otherwise known as Cohtet Cunwic. She's a famous witch because she even surpassed the rank Z in a young age. But..."

I even grew more confused at her actions. Forest looked hesitated to continue but she did so.

"She suddenly died. She died behind Infinite Bookstore's counter number thirteen. The owner of the bookstore also died with her, Cohtet's grandma. Also, Infinite Bookstore is infamously known for that mystery, the mystery of the Witch of the Counter. Authorities are still baffled on who killed the most powerful witch. And they feared that the killer might be stronger than Cohtet and might overturn even the most powerful kingdom."

"Think about it, a powerful witch who even surpassed the Z-rank suddenly died. Their only option is that the person that killed her is much stronger for Cohtet to handle. But the mystery not only ended there, it seems that before Cohtet died, she left a curse on the bookstore."

"What?!"

Forest nodded, "The authorities kept it a secret so it won't cause a ruckus because they still haven't discovered on what kind of curse it is. And now, the current owner of the bookstore still feels the spirit of Cohtet lingering the bookstore, with her moans and cry for help. Also, those people whoever tried solving the mystery, all of them died! That's why the Witch of the Counter is regarded as bad luck and many people avoid bringing up the topic."

Forest shivered as she slumped in her chair.

"That's why earlier, I was extremely worried about you because I saw you standing at counter number thirteen! I thought that the curse might have affected you or something."

I nodded. The witch of the counter suddenly piqued my interest.

"Do you know anything more about her?"

Forest shook her head, "Sorry. Cohtet's information, history and achievements are now secured due to what happened. Although there might be some books but it'll be hard finding one. Wait! Try Luna Bookstore! It's a hidden bookstore in which they sell forbidden and ancient books. Try that, i'll give you the map later."

I frown in confusion as to why Forest know about that but I decided to not question her.

Witch of the Counter. An unsolved mystery. Luna Bookstore. Things started to get more interesting.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 694 52
Isabella is a school girl belonging to a middle class group family. One day when she was going home after school to continue her game, on a crossroad...
291K 13.8K 109
To be reborn in a game, and a romance game at that! Amber didn't expect to die from a small illness, only to wake up in one of those japanese romance...
1.3K 52 10
I had a good life. I had a stable job at a famous cafe, and, met someone who I wanted to live the rest of my life with... But I was run over by a car...
6.6K 195 23
Have you ever had one of those terrible yet annoyingly pivotal moments? You know, that monumental fragment of time that flips everything you have ev...