Cracked Butterfly

By neonblonde1

Ivy Glenn was a small town girl, ready to embark on a new career thousands of miles from the home and ideal... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Cast
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Cracked Butterfly Soundtrack
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note

Chapter 7

4.9K 197 33
By neonblonde1

(And once again huge kudos to my lovely and talented friend @juliedeville0709 for her outstanding editing!)

Ivy had been up for a full hour before Krista, crying in her bathroom at the thought of her friend leaving to go back home.

It had seemed so natural, her being there and Ivy didn't know how to cope with being alone. This would be the first time ever and it would certainly prove if she was cut out to live on her own, without family and friends around her.

She had left Krista an ice cold bottle of water, tall glass of orange juice and two Aleve on her bedside table. Nothing killed a horrific hangover like those three items, something Krista had taught her.

"You can do this Ivy" she kept chanting to herself in the mirror. But could she though? She had no choice really. She had already accepted the job, and basically couldn't return home so what other course did she have? She had to do this for herself, to prove to herself that she was strong and could handle anything life chose to throw at her.

A gentle knocking on her bathroom door broke her from her thoughts and further wallowing in self pity; so she splashed cold water onto her face and blotted it with a towel before opening the door.

"Oh babe!" Krista said sympathetically as she threw her arms around Ivy. A gentle rocking helped sooth both girls as they clung to each other, Krista sniffling a bit alerted Ivy that her friend was hurting as much as she was.

"This is not goodbye Ivy. Remember our pact? That we would never say goodbye, but see you later?" Krista held her friend's hands as she spoke.

Ivy nodded, still not being able to articulate her feelings, so Krista continued. "Who knows maybe I'll get a job in a good salon near here and we'll be able to see each other all of the time! That would be great wouldn't it?"

"Yes, that would be fantastic" Ivy responded still sniffling. "Come on let's get dressed and go have breakfast at that little café across the street and then I'll take you to the airport" Ivy said.

As Krista returned to her room to ready herself, Ivy's phone buzzed from atop the dresser where it lay. She didn't recognize the number but answered it anyway just in case it was work related.

"Good morning, Ivy Glenn here" answered professionally. "Well good morning to you Ms. Glenn" said the voice she immediately recognized. It was Jensen Woods, her boss.

"Oh, good morning Sir" she replied, her body quivering from the sound of his voice alone.

He closed his eyes and inhaled sharply when she said 'Sir'. "Now, now, Ms. Glenn" he tutted. "What did I tell you last night about formalities?"

Ivy laughed softly, replying "I apologize Jensen, habit of my upbringing I'm afraid. Back home everyone is addressed formally or by Sir or Madam. Please be patient with me."

"Hmm, I think I can find it in my heart to forgive you this time Ivy." Lord help her, his voice was making a mess of her underwear and why in the hell did this man, her boss, make her feel this way?

"Well I do appreciate you going that extra mile for me Jensen" she replied sweetly. "Now how may I assist my boss on this gorgeous Sunday morning?

He chuckled and it sounded divine. "I wasn't sure if HR told you that a car would be at your disposal during work hours, Monday through Friday. I have asked for an exception for today because I know that your friend is leaving and I imagine it may be a bit emotional for you to have to say goodbye."

Ivy didn't know how to respond. This was so thoughtful and she had never had anyone, other than Krista, think that far ahead for her.

"Ivy, are you there?" Jensen's voice demanded an answer from her, and he most certainly deserved one.

"I'm sorry Jensen. You just caught me a little off guard is all. I can't tell you how thoughtful the offer is and how much I appreciate it. I have been friends with Krista for ten years and this will be most difficult. Thank you, so very much" Ivy gushed.

"It's our pleasure and Davis will ring either your apartment or cell to let you know when the driver arrives. He will also send a man to your unit for her bags.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day and we will see you first thing in the morning. I would like you to come to my office when you arrive, I will show you to your office and then take you to the meeting where we will introduce you to your team.

You are starting at the most opportune time as we are just in the very beginning stages of acquiring a new contract with a company we've had our eyes on for a while."

Ivy nodded, even though her boss could not see her actions. "That sounds just great Jensen. So I will see you first thing in the morning, and thank you again for arranging the car. That was really kind of you."

After saying their goodbyes, Ivy pulled on her skinny jeans from last night, a cute vintage Scooby Doo tee shirt and her Chuck Taylor's.

Not feeling in the makeup mood, she put on a little tinted moisturizer, mascara, eyeliner and lip gloss. Happy with her look she pulled her long hair into a high ponytail and called out to Krista.

"Awe, look at how cute you are!" Krista gushed at Ivy's appearance. She too had chosen jeans, a tee shirt and sneakers and instead of a ponytail just a messy bun that looked amazing piled on top of her head.

"Who was on the phone?" Krista asked as she grabbed her purse. "Oh that was Jensen, the company arranged a car to take us to the airport" Ivy replied. While her friend looked at her and raised a skeptical eyebrow, "Oh really huh?" She grinned, making Ivy burst out giggling. "Please mama, come on, I'm starving!" Ivy said pulling her from the apartment, shutting and locking the door behind them.

As they reached the lobby, Ivy was not surprised to see Davis standing there with his arms folded across his chest, monitoring the other man sitting behind the console.

"Good morning Ms. Glenn, Ms. Taylor" he said cordially. Ivy flashed that mega hundred watt smile at him and asked "Davis do you ever sleep?" Her joke garnered a toothy grin from the giant. "Yes ma'am from time to time" his humor just as quick as hers.

Laughing Ivy relayed to him her conversation with Jensen from earlier. "We are just going across to the café, should he arrive Krista's bag is already packed and by the front door."

He nodded, smiled, and told them to enjoy their breakfast. "Thanks we will" Ivy chimed as they exited the building.

The café had a great down home vibe going completed by the pleasant decor; antique tea pots adorned the shelves, on the walls were old washboards, and vintage metal signs. It reminded Ivy of home.

"Good morning ladies," a young woman greeted them with menus in her hands. "Just two today?" Ivy and Krista nodded as she showed them to a window table.

"Our specials today are harvest grain pancakes, three of them, with your choice of grits or hash browns. You also get your choice of meats; sausage, ham or bacon. Now, while you think about your order may I get you coffee, tea, juice or water?"

Both girls ordered the coffee as they studied the menu. The smiling waitress retreated to the kitchen to grab a fresh pot of coffee, and give the girls a chance to decide on their breakfast.

"What are you in the mood for?" Krista asked. "God these carbs are going to kill me" groaned Ivy. She had to be so careful with what she put in her body, she had come so far and she didn't want to take ten steps back.

As if sensing her dilemma Krista said "Look order what you want, don't eat it all and take the rest home for lunch or dinner and then workout like crazy!"

Ivy laughed at her friend's solution but decided that she was so very right and at that same moment their waitress returned with two hot cups of delicious smelling coffee.

"Have you ladies decided what you would like this morning?" Her pen poised above her order pad.

"I would like the harvest grain pancakes, with bacon and a half order of the hash browns please?" Ivy asked. The waitress smiled, taking the menu from Ivy. "Of course no problem, and for you miss?" "I think I'll have the same" Krista said.

The two friends smiled, talked and laughed, reminiscing about memories from back home caused the time to fly by and soon Ivy got that dreaded text message that the car had arrived.

After a tearful goodbye, Ivy's driver delivered her safely back to the front door of her building, jumped out and got the door for her.

"Have a good rest of your day Ms. Ivy" he said with a much needed friendly smile.

"Thank you Daryl and you as well" Ivy responded softly as she made her way inside and was met by a sympathetic Davis, already pushing the button for her floor.

"Good afternoon Ms. Glenn" he said as Ivy stepped inside the elevator.

"Thank you Davis and you too."

Once inside her apartment, Ivy closed the door and collapsed against it, crying over the emptiness that she felt from the absence of her friend.

After she got all of that out of her system she headed to her room, specifically her closet, to pick out her outfit for tomorrow when a sudden thought struck her.

Grabbing her phone, she dialed the number on the card that Rachel had given her.

She was so excited when the woman answered on the second ring. "Ms. Rachel? Ivy Glenn here, would that salon you mentioned be open today?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 26K 47
⚠️𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗜𝗦 𝗠𝗬 𝗢𝗥𝗜𝗚𝗜𝗡𝗔𝗟 𝗪𝗢𝗥𝗞. 𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗘 𝗪𝗘𝗥𝗘 𝗡𝗢 𝗖𝗢𝗣𝗜𝗘𝗦 𝗢𝗙 𝗟𝗜𝗧𝗧𝗟𝗘𝟭𝗪𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗥. 𝗪𝗘'𝗩𝗘 𝗔𝗟𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗬 𝗠𝗔�...
202K 3.5K 33
"Sometimes trust blinds us so much that we can't see the truth" - After being dragged to some boring dinner meeting, Scarlet meets Jackson Vanderbil...
10M 470K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...
4.2K 248 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...