Elsword: Silver Lining

By StarlightShaymin

Sequel to Yin Yang! "This disaster won't just eliminate humans, it'll destroy everything and everyone in its... More

Disclaimers and Author's Note
City of War
Aftermath
Strangers
Consequences
Harmony Festival
New Beginnings
Rematch
Recovery
A New Day
Bitter Reunions
To Trust or Not To Trust
Coincidences
A Hero's Last Stand
What Must Be Done
Turning Point
Planning
The Escape Part 1
The Escape Part 2
Hamel
First Objective
A Starless Night
April Fools Joke 1
Happiness :))
The Sunken Resiam
Dancing Under The Moonlight
A New Mission
The Girl and the Mermaid
A Night Worth Remembering
The fate of this story

Taranvash's Deal

306 14 36
By StarlightShaymin

I wanna thank @chainfireball @juvia99470 @Quackleberry @Homullilly @MemezindaHOUSE (sorry if I missed anyone else) for sacrificing your brain cells to read the abomination my friend and I created. Y'all guys are the true MVPs

Iron clung onto the air like a snake embracing its prey, if we weren't meeting with the Guardian of the Waterway, whom we learned was called Taranvash, I'd already been outside enjoying the fresh air. We were now gathered by the pool of water at the end of the room, the Guardian stood before us on the small circular platform. His white fur was now stained with crimson red from our most recent fight.

"You have gotten yourself in quite a particular situation, Young Lord," Taranvash spoke once Chung explained our situation to it.

"Yeah, we really could've handled the situation better. There's nothing we can do about it now," he admitted, rubbing the back of his neck. "Erm...we'd really appreciate it if you told us everything you know about Water Jewel. It'd really make our job easier."

I shifted my on feet as Taranvash narrowed its eyes on us. Throughout Chung's explanation, Taranvash made no attempts to voice its opinion or feelings on our story. It's unsettling to be in the dark about the demon's thoughts on our story.

A warm breeze washed over my face as the large beast exhaled," it's not that I don't trust you, Young Prince." Taranvash turned its attention back on Chung. "The information I hold about the Waters Jewel is to be handled with great care. Not even the royal family is welcome to know the Jewel's origin."

"That's just great," Speka crossed her arms with a huff. "The only lead we have to the next Shard isn't willing to help us."

"Speka," Elsword frowned at her. "We should still be grateful the Guardian decided to help us. There's no need to be rude." Speka, in turn, rolled her eyes at him.

"Elsword is correct," Eve agreed. Beside her, Raven quietly examined Amos' minor wounds. Though Amos only sustained minor cuts Raven was adamant to make sure he was okay. "For now we should focus on fixing the Waterways." Taranvash cocked its head at her comment.

"Chung, you stated earlier that your mission here was to help return fresh water back into Hamel, correct?"

"Y-yes. We promised Dais—I mean the Queen that we'd help fix the demon problem here and return fresh water back to Hamel."

Taranvash let out a low rumble," in that case, let's make a deal. If you can successfully deal with the demon problem here I will tell you all that I know about the Water Jewel."

"Wow, that was easy," Elsword muttered to himself.

"However," I clasped my hands over my ears as the Guardian's roar shook the room. "Not a single soul outside this group is to learn the information, understand?" The demon visibly relaxed once each of us exchanged our vow. "Now, let us address the problem at hand."

Taranvash exhaled once more as it settled itself down on its bloodied stomach.

"Are you okay?" Chung asked once the Guardian made itself comfortable.

"I would be better if those damned outsiders didn't destroy my mirrors." He rested his head upon his forelegs.

"At least you still had enough energy to help us out," I reminded him gently.

The Guardian snorted," in my current state I cannot help you confront the main cause of our problem. I may have had enough energy to take on some tiny foes, but I cannot go against him again."

"Him? So you're saying all of this"—Elsword gestured to the bloodied floors behind us—"was caused by a single dude?"

"Precisely, whoever sent him here knew what they were doing."

I felt my throat tighten at its comment. I noticed Chung glancing back at me with worried eyes but I refused to acknowledge him.

"Can you tell us more about this demon?" I spoke tightly.

If Taranvash was surprised at my sudden change of tone then he didn't show it," it's a towering monstrosity. It's close to seven feet tall, probably weighs as much as a boulder. Unfortunately, he likes to use his weight as an advantage so one hit from him could leave you guys with broken bones at best."

Raven, who was no longer examining Amos for any big injuries, piped in next," do you think its strength has something to do with the El Shards?"

Taranvash huffed and proceeded to lick its injured hind leg.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he was," Elsword admitted truthfully. "Then again, I wouldn't worry too much about that. We have an El Shard of our own, remember? Even if this demon is enchanted with the El Shards' power we'll also be fighting with a Shard of our own!" Elsword elaborated with a wide grin stretched on his face.

Speka shifted her weight to one leg," I-I don't know, Elsword. Someone could still get seriously injured."

"You worry too much," he waved her off dismissively. "Besides, we'll easily be able to outrun a giant demon."

"You should heed to your team mate's concern, young man." The Guardian growled, returning its attention back onto the team. Elsword visibly tensed at his response."The Shard's power has blinded you from the dangers that still exist in battle. You should know better, boy!"

"R-right," Elsword dropped his gaze onto his feet, deflated. "S-sorry about that."

I clenched my teeth at the Guardian's tone. After hearing our struggles it should at least treat Elsword with a bit more caution. The last thing we need is for Elsword to back down from his leadership role.

Sometimes a stern teacher is required to help an individual grow. Eun interjected matter-of-factly. It would be foolish to teach every person in a gentle manner.

'It's different with Elsword, though. He's barely confident enough to lead the team, we shouldn't damage it any further.'

As if reading my thoughts, Taranvash added," please don't take my words as an attack. I am only trying to help you lead your team more effectively. I'd hate to see the Young Prince in harm's way under your leadership."

"Hey, I'm strong enough to handle myself now." Chung defended in a heartbeat. I felt a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth at his quick response.

"But you're not strong enough to face the beast behind this mess, Chung. The only way you will come out victorious is if your team works effectively with one another."

"But still," he grumbled exasperatedly. "You could at least acknowledge my current strength."

"So, Taranvash, I'm going to assume you've already fought this demon once before?" Speka piped in, turning the conversation back to its solemn mood.

"Of course I did. Even now I'm still feeling the consequences of the fight."

"You're always welcome to stay at the castle," Chung proposed.

Taranvash inclined its head," I'm humbled at your offer, Young Prince, but I would much rather stay here. My presence alone still intimidates the foreign demons invading this precious facility." With a grunt, the giant beast rose up to its feet once more.

"We have wasted enough time talking, Young Ones. If you wish to eliminate the core of the problem then I suggest we take action as soon as possible."

"I-I agree," Elsword nodded. Turning back to the rest of us he added," if anyone wants to take extra time to rest then speak up."

"Don't feel ashamed to request some time to rest," the Guardian reassured. "I'd rather have you enter the fight with full energy than suffering from the fatigue of the last fight."

"Y-yeah, what he said," Elsword muttered to himself while the demon scanned the room for a response.

"Very well," Taranvash said once he was sure no one would take up the offer. "Despite my weakened state, I can still transport your team as close to the culprit as possible."

"Are you sure that would be wise?" Eve asked worriedly. Though her comment meant no offence the demon narrowed its eyes on her regardless.

"My healing capabilities and my strength may have been weakened, but that doesn't mean I'm unable to transport you closer to the enemy. Do not underestimate me, young one." Eve scowled at his response. Raven placed a hand on her shoulder and shook his head.

Elsword cleared his voice," i-in that case, we should get going. Thank you for the help."

"If you need a quick escape then call for my name, Chung." Taranvash added in a calmer tone." I will be sure to stay attentive to your prayers. Now, I want everyone to huddle closer together."

We wordlessly obliged to his command. Chung kept his gaze locked onto Taranvash for an extra second before retreating back to join the rest of us.

"Be careful and do not let yourselves succumb to carelessness and fatigue."

A burst of yellow light erupted from beneath our feet, I squinted my eyes against the blinding light. I could barely see Taranvash at this point, it didn't help that his armour was practically glowing like a beacon.

"Chung, though it pains me to say it, rumour has it that your father has been spotted with the enemies." Taranvash's words hung heavily in the air. "Be on the look out for him in the battlefield as he will certainly be a dangerous opponent."

I averted my gaze onto Chung, not caring if his white armour was equally as blinding to look at. Through the light I managed to make out his expression, he looked like a young child who was just told their mother had passed away.

"A-are you sure it was him?" The tone of his voice was practically pleading for Taranvash to confirm it wasn't his father.

"I cannot say as I've never seen him since that day. I'm sorry." For the first time since we started talking with Taranvash, he sounded helpless. "For the sake of your Kingdom, stay strong, Young Prince. Do not allow grief to taint your mind."

Before Chung could utter another word the bright light intensified, forcing everyone to squeeze their eyes shut.

*****

We were transported to what appeared to be the underground portion of the Waterways. It took Elsword several minutes to pinpoint our location on the map but once he did we proceeded walking once more.

The tunnel we trudged through was dark and musky. Elsword utilised the Shard's light to brighten up our path; Eun wasn't too happy about his nonchalant use of the Shard. Though I could see through the darkness of our path, I still felt more comfortable walking closely alongside my team.

"Chung, how are you feeling?" Eve broke the silence gently. When he didn't respond she tried again.

"O-oh, I'm doing fine." He stammered, shifting away from the group.

"Are you sure?" Elsword lifted his eyes from the map to examine Chung. "I don't want you running into the fight with a distracted mind."

"Thanks but I'm fine, really." He smiled tightly.

"We understand if you're feeling upset right now," Raven reassured. "Anyone in your shoes would be shaken up after hearing their father--"

"This has nothing to do with my dad!" Chung snapped abruptly. His voice bounced off the walls until, eventually, it faded into a ghostly whisper.

"Yup, I'm totally convinced you're not upset right now." Speka retorted sarcastically. Elsword gently nudged her on the arm at the comment.

Someone's foot collided with a pebble, prompting the small rock to bounce into the inky veil ahead.

"Sorry," Chung sighed, running his hand through his hair. "I'm just...I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed."

"I think overwhelmed is a bit of an understatement, buddy." Raven managed to evoke a chuckle from Chung.

"We do not have to fight your father if we encounter him. Perhaps we could run away or trap him somewhere," Eve suggested in a light-hearted voice.

I, however, doubt we'd be able to resolve the conflict with Chung's father in a peaceful manner. If he's truly under the demons' influence there's no way he'll let us walk away without a fight.

Chung shrugged," who knows? Maybe we'll succeed at avoiding him or maybe we'll have to fight. Either way, it's giving me a headache." He raked his fingers through his hair once more.

"Don't worry, Chung. We'll find a way to help your dad." Amos jogged up to Chung and took him by the hand. "Your dad sounded like a good guy. I don't think good guys can stay bad forever."

Chung's eyes softened on Amos," er...thanks." He smiled, genuinely this time, and squeezed Amos' tiny hand. "Like I said, I'm not upset just because my dad was seen with the demons." He locked his gaze ahead, his grip on Amos' hand seemed to tighten but the Ponggo didn't complain.

"Then what's up?" Elsword asked, lowering the map from his face. Chung opened his mouth to respond but not a single word left his tongue.

"You can trust us," Raven reminded him lightly.

Chung bowed his head, finding sudden interest on the ground," I...I feel like I'm losing everything."

His answer felt like a punch to the stomach from an iron fist. I wish I could melt into the shadows enveloping the tunnel and disappear from my team—from him.

"If you do not mind," Eve replied reluctantly. "Can you elaborate on your answer?"

He sighed once again. If Amos wasn't holding him by the hand I had a distinct feeling he would withdraw further from the group again.

"It's bad enough that I lost my dad to the demons' influence, but it's an insult when my throne is taken by my irresponsible uncle. The bastard was acting like he'd just gotten married on his coronation, I doubt he even cared about my dad's condition." He was on the verge of shouting, but no one had the heart to ask him to quiet down. " Hamel is practically being overthrown by demons, our excuse of a King is barely lifting a finger to help improve our situation! Now the person I--"

He paused, I don't know if it's because he doesn't want the others to know or if he's still in too much shock to admit it. Whatever the reason may be, it left my head spinning and my heart racing.

"What about this...person?" Raven pressed on.

"It's just someone I--" he clicked his tongue. "Never mind, forget I said that."

"Are you sure, man?" I didn't particularly like how Raven's eyes drifted suspiciously onto me.

"Yeah," I caught Chung's gaze at the corner of my eyes. Instead of acknowledging their presence, I kept my attention fixated on the inky path ahead. "It doesn't matter now anyways."

*****

"Stop," I hissed after several minutes of walking. My team jolted at the sudden outburst but stopped in their tracks regardless.

"What's wrong?" Elsword asked in a hushed voice.

"I hear something ahead," I cautioned in an equally quiet tone. "It sounds like...growling."

Raven drew his sword at my warning. He murmured something to Amos, the young Ponggo frowned in response but did nothing to argue back with Raven.

Elsword returned his eyes to the map before promptly rolling it back up," we're getting close to the heart of this place." He said, stuffing the paper haphazardly in his backpack.

"What would you like us to do from this point on?" Eve directed her question at Elsword.

Elsword drummed his fingers against his leg," for now I want everyone to stick close together and have their weapons drawn." He scratched his cheek. "Er...I guess that's kinda obvious."

"I think it's a good plan regardless," I said, twirling my spear into position. "We can never be too safe."

"Thanks," he smiled shyly. "But uh...I don't exactly know what we should do when we reach the demon."

"For now we should just worry about getting through this tunnel in one piece," Raven quickly responded. "We can think of something after we see what we're up against."

"I...I still don't think I'll be able to come up with anything good on the spot."

"Sheesh, stop worrying so much. It's getting annoying." Speka interjected, leaving Elsword dumbfounded at her unique response. "It's not like you're running in there by yourself. We'll help you out if you have trouble coming up with something."

'That's not exactly the type of support I was expecting.' I told Eun truthfully.

As strange as her answer may be, her words tell the truth.

"R-right, sorry about that," Elsword said, drawing his swords from their respective sheaths. "C'mon, let's not waste any more time here."

With our guards raised, we proceeded further down the tunnel. It wasn't long before we finally came across the source of the growling—or should I say snoring. The tunnel opened up to a set of narrow stairs stretching down to yet another circular platform. This time, however, the platform rested upon a metal grating. Green clouds pressed against the metal grating, though I couldn't tell why it's unable to rise any further.

It must be a spell holding the gas back, I hypothesised.

In the middle of the circular platform laid a steel-coloured demon, its body almost resembled that of a body builder's. Unusually large nails protruded from its bulky shoulders, its face was covered in a mask that resembled a fang. Though I could not see its eyes it was still obvious that the demon was asleep. Even as our target was unconscious before our eyes, its presence was still menacing under the amber hue of the vast round room.

"This is perfect," Elsword breathed. "The best plan is to surround it and attack as one. The element of surprise will leave it too disoriented to retaliate back properly."

"It'll be a quick and fast kill," I summarised with a cheeky grin.

"Exactly."

"It seems too easy. Why would it be sleeping here without any guards?" Chung observed.

"I agree," Raven nodded. "This smells like a trap."

"Then what should we do then?" Speka challenged, and when no one answered she cursed at our lack of ideas.

"Unfortunately, we may have no choice but to press onwards," Eve pointed out grimly. "Trap or not, this is the only way we'll be making progress."

"Eve's right, we don't have a choice. Just be careful on the way down," Elsword gingerly stepped foot onto the first step. He held his breath as if expecting the demon to spring up from its slumber to attack. He exhaled softly once he was sure the demon would stay stationed and proceeded down.

The rest of us followed one at a time (the stairs were too tight to fit two people side by side), stopping dead in our tracks every time the demon grunted in its slumber. We were half-way down when I heard something speeding toward us. I instinctively halted and perked my head up, unnerved at the velocity the sound was increasing.

"Ara, what's wrong?" Chung asked behind me.

"Demonic Breath!"

I snapped my head to the set of stairs to our right only to be welcomed with a blast of blue flames. With a shriek I instinctively stepped back, forgetting there was nothing there to support my foot. My stomach did flips as I dropped blindly through the air, only to be painfully halted by the metal grating support.

Impossible! How could an enemy move at such speeds?!

I cursed and jumped up to my feet, a shot of pain pierced through my skull at the sudden movement. To my horror, the rest of my team was also knocked down by the blue fire. Thankfully, no one seemed to be severely hurt or dead.

Beware, Child. Our presence is now known to the target. Eun drew my attention to the colossal demon now awakening from its nap. After seeing the demon up close I felt as powerful as an ant.

"Victor, you're absolutely useless!" A familiar female voice rung. I reluctantly pried my eyes off of Victor and pinpointed them on our attackers.

Lu and Ciel were now standing on the very set of stairs we were pushed off. I took instant notice of Lu's new appearance. No longer did she look like a helpless little girl, now she was perfectly reflecting her demon heritage. Aquamarine horns erupted from her head, matching the set of wings blooming from the back of her lower torso.

"If it weren't for us, these bimbos would've killed you!"

Ara, can you sense it? Eun growled.

'Yeah,' I swallowed, tentatively backing away from the duo. 'I can practically feel their powers from all the way down here.'

They have been enhanced with the El Shards stolen from us. If you value your life, do not engage in battle with them alone.

'Damn them.'

Victor practically leapt up to his feet, baring his carnivorous teeth at Lu before turning his attention to us. I bit into the insides of my cheeks and readied for an attack from both parties.

Without warning, Victor charged straight for Elsword and Speka. Speka screamed, hurriedly crab-walking back while Elsword bravely stood in place and aimed the Shard at his attacker. A beam of light shot out from Elsword's palm, releasing a wave of energy into the circular space. Victor howled in pain as the Shard's magic pushed him back, the Earth trembled as the mountainous demon smashed into the ground. I struggled to stay balanced through the whole ordeal, it's a wonder how the metal grating hasn't collapsed on us yet.

"We are not going to lose this fight!" Elsword declared, pointing the Shard skywards. A surge of energy rushed through my body as the Shard enveloped itself in light.

"How troublesome," I heard Lu comment.

Ara, heads up!

Without hesitation I leapt back, barely avoiding Lu's assault. She clicked her tongue in irritation and rocketed up to me. Even while disoriented from the fall, I managed to parry most of Lu's attacks. Somewhere in the distance, Elsword was barking orders at the team.

"Triple Shot!'

With the Wind Shard's help, I was able to dodge two of the three bullets flying my way. Unfortunately, one managed to find its way into my leg. I grit my teeth at the burning pain and shifted my weight on my other leg, though I made no attempts to back down from the fight. Lu smirked at my newly acquired injury and proceeded to attack once more.

I grit my teeth and continued to block Lu's vigorous attacks, barely managing to keep her claws from digging into my flesh.

"Dread Chase!" I never felt so relieved to see a mass of blue missiles headed my way.

Lu scowled at the intervention and swiftly took off into the air, Chung's attack followed her every move.

I didn't get a chance to thank Chung for his help as Ciel was now engaged in a battle with him, both parties attacking one another with long-range attacks. I momentarily caught glimpse of the battle between Victor and everyone else. From the looks of it, Elsword made sure everyone attacked the demon from afar. Amos was the only one not engaged in battle, he stood far away from the rest of us, Ophelia standing guard beside him.

"Spectral Spear!" Lu shouted. I promptly returned my attention to Lu who's successfully gotten rid of Chung's missiles. I had just enough time to regain my posture before Lu bore down on me again.

Enduring the burning in my leg, I proceeded to defend against Lu's unending assaults. As expected, the power of two El Shards made her attacks swift and merciless, she attacked like a famished lioness. Yet, even though I was forced to only play defence throughout the fight, she did not seem like she was fighting with all her might.

I didn't get time to analyse her movements any further as the ground trembled once more from Victor's retaliation with the rest of my team, momentarily halting Lu from her pursuit. The tremor only intensified my injury. I cried out in pain and fell to my knees.

"Such a shame," Lu leered, her right hand morphing into an over-sized demon hand. "I was just getting started too." She confidently stepped closer to me, the grin on her face widening.

How arrogant! Eun swiftly directed my spear toward her abdomen, unfortunately, she leapt back before our blade could make contact. We will not die to a scum like her!

"We will if this stupid fight drags on any longer," I grunted as the ground shuddered once more. I braced myself for further attacks, but Lu did not confront me right away. She remained planted on the spot, a single arm wrapped around her stomach.

Now is our chance!

"Fire Lotus!" Lu's eyes widened at the golden lotus flower hurling her direction. She sprung to the side, the edge of her pigtails singed against the flower's petals.

What I didn't expect to happen next was for Lu to cough out blood. My mind went blank as she continued to cough, her expression scrunched up in pain.

'I was wondering why she wasn't attacking with more power.'

Why did she come here injured though? I cannot grasp who would be able to leave her in this state.

"Ara, look out!" Chung's voice snapped me back to reality. I took quick notice of the three blue bullets flying directly at my face, without a second thought I hurried out of the way.

"Lu!" Ciel was now by Lu's side, eyebrows furrowed with worry. "Lu, I told you it was a bad idea to come here!"

"Y-you know it couldn't be helped," she answered weakly. Her legs caved in but Ciel luckily caught her before she could fall. "Dammit, looks like the poison still hasn't been cured."

"Ara!" Ciel tensed as Chung hurried by my side. My shoulders shot up like rockets at his close proximity. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Y-yeah," I stammered, mistakenly shifting my weight to the injured leg.

"Are you sure?" He held me by the shoulder once observing my inability to rest my weight on both legs. The battlefield suddenly felt ten times hotter.

"I-I'll live," I sheepishly withdrew from him.

Thankfully, a burst of energy kept Chung from responding if he had anything else to add. A cry of anguish resonated through throughout the room followed by one last tremor. I snapped my head in the direction of the rest of my team. Everyone except Victor was still standing, the Wind Shard in Elsword's hand had yet to cool down from the last attack.

"Killing a demon with the El Shard's power alone," Lu scoffed, her sharp teeth still bloodied. "How pathetic. I thought better of your miserable group."

Red flags flashed through my mind now that Lu has regained her composure. Chung and I wordlessly readied ourselves for the duo to resume the fight once again. Ciel directed his gun to the rest of our team hurrying to join us. Once again, Amos held back with Ophelia.

"It's useless," she said, wiping her bloodied face with the back of her hand. "Even if you go against us with your entire team we will still win." She paused, waiting until the others were in earshot before continuing. "Although you chose a cowardly way to finish the fight, I will commend you for your hard work."

She shifted her body to face the others, silently studying the various cuts and bruises on their faces.

"Flattery won't keep us from going easy on you," Raven warned in between breaths.

"Oh please, as if I'd want to waste my energy on a bunch like you," Lu snapped. "Victor would've indirectly killed hundreds if you hadn't defeated him." She continued a bit more softly. "Hamel would've surrendered to Karis if it meant they'd get their precious water back."

"What is your point?" Eve demanded tightly.

Lu shrugged," Ciel and I were called here to keep Victor safe. Now that he's dead we have no reason to fight you."

"Hate to burst your bubble, kid, but we have every reason to cut you two down." With one hand holding the Shard and another holding his sword, Elsword inched forward.

Lu and Ciel didn't even flinch at his approach," and what will you do to us?" Ciel challenged coldly. "Rip us apart with that cursed Shard? Torture us before relieving us through death? What different are you from Karis if you kill us—two strangers who do not wish to fight?"

What a strange answer to give.

"You killed my girlfriend!"

"We did not kill a single member of your team," Lu reminded him sharply. "Instead of taking your anger out on every demon you encounter, why not focus on getting stronger and taking down the real culprit behind her murder?"

For a second I forgot to breathe, thinking back to the time Aisha was injured before my eyes; killed by my own brother.

"Shut up!" Elsword would've charged forward if Speka hadn't caught his arm.

"They're right, Elsword." She said, shaking her head. "Hurting them won't avenge my sister's death."

"Well, we can't just let them go!" He snapped, yanking his arm free from her grasp.

"May I remind you that we have been enhanced by the power of two El Shards," Ciel interjected coldly. "If you value your team's life, I suggest you let us go."

His warning was enough to prompt us to raise our weapons. I had no doubts we'd still be able to beat the demon duo, especially since Lu is ill. Though, I can also see how such a battle can cost the lives of many among us.

"Oh? You're willing to risk the life of your friends just to take down two innocent demons?" Lu sang sweetly. "How typical of you humans."

"Just because you two didn't kill Aisha doesn't mean you're as innocent as you claim to be," Elsword seethed through closed teeth, the Shard in his hand seemed to emanate with more energy.

"Fair enough," Lu nodded. "But you should do some self-reflection before pointing fingers at others. Last time I checked, your team are wanted for betraying Velder." She added with a wink.

Her words were enough to distract us from our blood-thirst, that was all the time needed for Ciel to take action. With a blink of an eye, the duo erupted in blue flames. A burst of energy pulsated from them before we could strike back, pushing everyone down on their backs.

Lu smirked and raised her hand over her head, "Shadow Bolt!"

A blue magic circle flashed into existence above our heads, the magical aura emitting from it was enough to make me sick to my stomach. Lu swiftly swung her hand down, summoning forth demonic spears.

I squeezed my eyes shut and shielded my face with my hands. Someone shifted beside me as the spears began to rain down, the metal grating supporting us shuddered with each hit. I held my breath as cries of pain rung from around me. Something tickled my cheeks but I dared not to peek at the attack purging on my team. I mentally counted each agonising second, bracing myself for one of the spears finally impale me.

Lu's attack, fortunately, ended as quickly as it had started. Though I was sure the demoness and her butler were gone by now I did not dare to crack open my eyes. I didn't want to see the aftermath of the attack.

Ara, Eun piped in almost excitedly. We are not injured!

'What?!'

Without thinking of the mess that would follow after such a devastating assault, I snapped my eyes open. I felt the entire weight of the world fall on my shoulders, but not because of consequences left on my friends.

"N-no," I breathed, barely able to keep my tears in place.

Chung's face was hovering directly over mine, his eyes were sealed shut and his jawline strained. He was on his forearms and knees, his body mere inches above mine, acting as my human shield.

"Heh, lucky she didn't use that to fight us earlier," he chuckled weakly.

"Y-you idiot," I cried, shakily guiding him off me and back onto the ground. He winced in pain as I set him as gently as I could on his stomach. His armour was scratched and dented in the back, and although he showed no signs of blood I had no doubts he was still suffering from severe injuries.

"The others," he wheezed, curling his fingers. "How...are the others?"

I reluctantly tore my eyes away to evaluate the damage. As expected, everyone was left in a bloody mess from the attack. The only good news was that everyone still appeared to be alive, dazed but alive. Lu's attack hadn't hit them anywhere vital as far as I could tell, and it didn't seem like she laid a finger on Amos either.

"They're injured but alive," I told him truthfully. He visibly relaxed at my answer. "A-are you okay?" I turned my attention back on him, the pain in my chest was almost crippling.

"I think I screwed up my back," he sucked in a sharp breath as he attempted to reposition himself.

"Don't move," I pleaded. "Please...don't hurt yourself anymore."

His fingers curled into a tight ball, "I...I should call Taranvash to pick us up. He'll wanna know about our victory."

"Seriously?! That's what you're worried about right now?!"

He weakly pried open his eyes, staring defeatedly into the green gas below," Ara, I don't understand what you're so upset about."

"Chung, h-how could you do something so stupid!?" I didn't do anything to interject with the tears dripping down my chin. "You..you could've died."

Elsword groaned in the distance, mumbling something about nearly dropping the Shard down the grating during Lu's attack.

"We all could've died," he reminded me softly. "I-I just didn't want to see you die." He voice wavered at the last sentence.

"C-Chung?"

He shifted his eyes and stared into mine, for the first time today I didn't look away. A warm smile touched his lips," I'm so glad to see you're okay." I could barely see him through my tears at this point.

"You're an absolute idiot! D-do you know that?! How could you have been so willing to leave me alone like that?!" I screamed before dropping down to embrace him. "H-how could you let me finish this mission by myself?"

I didn't care if he was a Prince at that moment, nor did I care about the fact that we could never be together because of our social standings. All that mattered was that he was alive, that he was still by my side for a little longer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

318 33 9
The war left the world burning. After the Baaran Federation launched their biological weapon to end the terrorist threat on the other continent the...
29.2K 1.2K 77
"I've lost everything, my home, my parents, and my brother is missing. All I have left is this spear, my mother's necklace, and an old hair pin...
685K 27.2K 85
He can hear her each breath He can see her every move He can sense her every emotion He can appear anywhere He craves her He wants her And He has her...
163 46 64
Lana Marlin is taken from her home on Earth to a gothic world filled with danger and sorcery. When a demon possesses Lana, will she have what it take...