The Risk To Love

De KeziahFerguson

⚫ A Wattpad Featured Story ⚫ Ever since the stranger in school A.K.A - notorious bad boy from the city arrive... Mais

CH 1: Unhappy & Undecided
CH 2: New beginnings & Hot Strangers
CH 3: Window Gods & Wondering
CH 4: News & Nudity
CH 5: All Nighters & Acquaintances
CH 6: Surprises & Suspicions
CH 7: Surfs & Silent Bonding
CH 8: Slaps & Soberness
CH 9: Realizations & Reality
CH 10: Healings & Hideouts
CH 11: Carelessness & Confessions
CH 12: Distractions & Dilemna
CH 13: Fumes & Fiestiness
CH:14 Paranormal & Paranoia
CH 15: Reunions & Rapists
CH 16: Fast & Furious
CH 17: Raiders & Resolution
CH 18: Promises & Probability
CH 19: Stalkers & Sentiment
CH 20: Neurotic & Nuggets
CH 21: Almost Firsts & Awakenings
CH 22: Spooky Mansion & Speculation
CH 23: Clashes & Clouded Judgement
CH 25: Misdeeds & Hostages
CH 26: Manning up & Catching Feelings
CH 27: Impetuous Behavior & Confrontations
CH 28: Spilling The Beans & Trust Issues
CH 29: Forgive & Forget
CH 30: Night Owls & Not So Chaste Kisses
CH 31: Unwanted Feminism & Buried Secrets
CH 32: Maze Runners & Walking Corpses
CH 33: White Lies & Wild Thoughts
CH 34: Pettiness & Meditation Gone Wrong
CH 35: Glitter Mermaids & Revenge Plans
CH 36: The Boys & Pathetic Comebacks
CH 37: Sneaking Around & Party Plans
CH 38: Threats & Medication
CH 39: Orange Vodka & Spin The Bottle
CH 40: Tears by the Lake & Watchers in the Woods
CH 41: Knights in Shining Armor & Mending Relationships
CH 42: Intruder Alert & Late Night Cuddles
CH 43: Suicidal Prisoners & Calling Truce
CH 44: Left Raw & Reeling
CH 45: The Love Triangle & Queen Bee Collison
CH 46: Crazy Assumptions & Trust Issues
CH 47: Pageant Pony & The Missing Pendant

CH 24: Broken Boundaries & Party Poopers

52 7 0
De KeziahFerguson

Listen to Golden by Kiiara

Chapter 24

Saturday mornings.

The mere thought of it made me squeal in excitement knowing that I didn't have to get up for school or anything else for that matter. I loved them so much I had dreams of me having dreams while lazily rolling around in the comfort of my sheets and the worst type of bed hair imaginable.

However, today was gonna be a drastic change to my usual schedule.

My goal: Avoiding my father.

Getting up at 6:30 am I felt like my body weighed a ton while I struggled to toss myself out of the sheets after I hit snooze several times already.

I legit cried while conditioning my hair because of how early it was. Throwing on a colourful conservative outfit I toweled my hair and left it in its soft stringy state.

I needed to drop half of my portfolio with one of the committee members early so she'd be able to submit and notify me whether I should send more. So I flipped the flying saucer out when I received a text saying that my date was extended for my whole portfolio to be sent at once.

"Gee...your timing couldn't be any worse," I said to myself sighing as I stood leaning against my open door fully dressed with my big bag in hand about to leave.

"You ready kiddo?" I heard my father's voice echo. Peeping out the corridor I saw him approaching me still adjusting his tie with a big smile on his face.

Well, at least I was gonna make him happy.

"Yup. That's why I woke up extra early this morning just to spend time with you," I slowly kicked my bags behind the door hoping he wouldn't detect sarcasm in my response.

"That's my girl, I'll be waiting in the car." He saluted at me walking in the direction of the garage.

Verbally swearing under my breath I trudged after him with arms folded and eyebrows furrowed.

***

"Cheryl? Can I go home now?" I whined leaning back in the office chair giving her my best puppy look.

Cheryl was my mom and dad's long time receptionist who was a middle-aged mother to four rambunctious kids and the sweetest person I knew.

"Honey, your dad clearly instructed that you could only leave until after organizing his folders," she told me pitifully before caving in when I got down on my knees and begged her.

"Fine. I guess I could do that and you can take a break," she huffed when we switched places and I was seated infront of the computer table.

"Has the profiling app been updated?" Hoping to sound seemingly disinterested.

The profiling app was installed with permission from the Town Council and Police Department which permitted all legal information and credentials on each citizen currently residing in Langston.

"Yup," she popped out quickly shuffling through all the paperwork skillfully.

"Why? Is there finally a boy you're wanting to stalk?" She teased.

"Something like that," I chuckled. Typing in Amber's full name I waited a few seconds for the information to be retrieved.

"Adopted?!" reading the documents loudly off of the screen I gasped from shock.

I guess, no one really knew her that well after all.

***

"So how do I look?" Morgan asked sleeking his dark brown hair to the side winking at me.

"Like you just walked out of Grease the movie," I cringed at his tight ass pants and striped open shirt revealing his toned abdomen that he loved to show off.

"That's exactly what I was going for," he did a few Michael Jackson moves before doing the moonwalk out the door making me grin distastefully.

Okay. Now it was my turn to get my groove on.

Eek. Now I was using Disco abbreviations.

Releasing the last curl, I applied enough hair spray to keep it in that puffy state that you'd usually see in a retro musical.

Changing into a dress with optical illusion prints and wide arm cuffs, I placed on a thick hair band and high wedges hoping that was 'disco' enough.

Dancing around the room I struck a few poses infront of the mirror till I heard my phone ring with a few notifications.

What now?

Only to uncover a few people replying to the video on my story.

Wait, what video?

The first one was me doing a funky dance move (which I'm pretty sure I invented in the spur of the moment but who cares) and doing more embarrassing poses in front of the mirror while adjusting my outfit.

Whirling around I didn't have to guess who the culprit could be. when I flung open the curtains fully.

There he was. I then realized it was so long since I had seen him again. As much as I hated to think it I missed his carefree attitude that always cracked jokes. But right now, all I could think of was beheading him and hanging it from the electric pole outside our houses.

Ryder was decked out in grey sweatpants that hung lowly on his hips that girls would drool at instantly. A black Nike hoodie stretched over his broad shoulders that was zipped up halfway revealing his tanned skin and a huge white bandage on his lower abdomen.

Dear dolphins. Don't tell me he was a fighter as well. That would've been a real cliché.

He was sitting with a bout time you did something face on the ledge of his window with one knee raised and puffing on a shisha hookah that was used in Arabia with his phone in the other hand.

There goes the smoking restrictions that I laid out. Guess it was all just words for him.

A small smirk formed on his lips as he saw me carefully approaching across the branch. I tried not to break my seriousness under his intense gaze.

"Ah-ah ah," he shook his head pointing to the red paint that was formed in between the tree that separated our boundaries.

To hell with boundaries.

Stepping over it and passing him a sickly sweet smile with no sincerity whatsoever.

"Before you go all crazy on me about our oath, Ms Hairspray. I found a loophole," he held up one finger when he noticed me try to interrupt his explanation.

"Technically, you specifically said nothing with nicotine and last time I checked," he took one long puff before exhaling slowly, "hookahs were nicotine and tobacco free babe."

His green eyes twinkled with mischief as he shot me one of his killer smiles exposing his perfect white teeth making his dimples poke out from his cheeks.

Babe. There's that word again. He really knew how to be slick.

I stood there with my arms crossed still waiting for an apology.

"So," he leaned further back eyeing me from head to toe, "Are you here to thank me for your 2K followers that you managed to gain over the weekend, cause if you are-"

"I'm not," I hissed back pulling the water pipe that was excreting smoke out of his hand making him cock his head to the side at my sudden rudeness of tone.

Smacking his forehead like he realised something, "Oh. I get it, you're mad about me posting a shirtless picture that everyone was raving about."

I tossed him a hateful glare placing both hands on my hips.

Tapping his chin thoughtfully, his long dark lashes touched his face as he thought hard, "Was changing your bio too much or uploading the video of you attempting to dance awhile ago onto YouTube?"

Try not to scream Shay. He's just trying to get under your skin.

I clucked my tongue trying to keep my cool.

"You must enjoy making a mockery out of me? Was that your attempt? To intentionally ruin my date with Ian that you clearly knew about? Or to prove to me how reckless and idiotic you really are? Cause you made that point pretty clear."

His expression changed when he turned to the side like he couldn't care less. Fidgeting with my sleeve I couldn't help but feel annoyed at how he didn't seem the least bit affected by my words. He didn't care to respond but chuckled under his breath in a surprised tone.

"You know what!" I threw my hands up in the air before rubbing my temples. Moving closer which was alot harder to do in wedges than bare footed. I stood infront of him putting one hand on his open ledge for support.

"I really don't give a crap. So whatever reaction you were trying to get out of me by pulling that social media stunt it didn't work. Taylor 1. Haynes 0." I pursed my lips staring at his blank reaction.

Snickering loudly, he grabbed my left arm just as I was turning to leave. I landed swiftly in his lap with a loud thud. The orange colors from the setting sun danced off of his dimpled face as he stared at me intently. His messy hair whipped above his forehead from the gust of wind that was swirling around us. I felt like I was in a scene from a Spanish telenovela.

I was too taken aback from his bold action to even react. His large arm cradled my neck like I were the perfect fit in his arms but he distanced my body from his stomach that was tightly bandaged.

I couldn't even breath from how intently his green eyes were fixated on all the features on my face. I felt anxious but giddy. I wanted to struggle out of his hold but at the same time I wanted to stay in this position a little while longer.

Damn you scrambled feelings. I blame my period.

"Then...why are you here?" He asked me his green orbs still not leaving mine. My chest rose up and down heavily cause I felt like I was going to implode just from being in his warm arms. I fought the urge not to snuggle further into his half clad moulded chest.

"I don't know," I replied truthfully but it came out as more of a whisper. Still holding me effortlessly he licked his lips and adjusted my weight pulling me closer to him making me squeal. I covered my mouth with one hand while he watched me amusedly.

How did this situation elevate from two different levels so quickly?

My arm slightly brushed against his injury making his eyes flutter momentarily and his jaw clench as a sign of pain.

"What happened to you?" I asked soothingly. Gently reaching out to touch his bandage he caught my hand with a stern look on his face as if it was off limits.

The atmosphere changed drastically moments after that.

Coming to my senses I squirmed out of his hold getting up on my two feet feeling the chill of the wind against my skin.

"I should go," I cleared my throat adjusting my dress as I noticed him watch me from the corner of my eye.

"Wouldn't want people jumping to conclusions if you were late to a lame ass high school dance," he muttered blowing the smoke in my direction that were coming out as multiple 'o' shapes.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," he rolled his eyes as if I already knew the answer.

"No. Tell me," I ordered in a cross tone.

"You claim that you don't give a shit about what people think of you but deep down your reputation matters to you more than anything." He continued to look away.

"Stop doing that! Acting like you know me! That's rich, coming from the self absorbed conscientious jerk." I weaved my hands through my hair and shut my eyes briefly.

Uh. He aggravated me so much and found the slightest way to push my buttons in mere seconds.

"Just cause you're life has been messed up from childhood doesn't give you the right to damage mine." I point out shaking my head.

His eyes slowly drift towards mine and only then I realize he had that same look when we fought at Abbie's beach house. That same expression where his eyes bore no friendliness and his body language remained stiffly serious.

"I don't have to. Looks like it already is."

Haynes 1. Taylor 1

That sentence alone hit me hard in all the emotional spots. He was right. I was damaged but so was he.

"Screw you," I choked out as tears started to form and began streaming down my cheeks.

"Anytime," he snickered in an arrogant way revealing an even more cruel side of him. I climbed back into my room not bothering to turn around when he responded.

Why was he being this way?!

I couldn't recall anything that I'd done lately unless he really was jealous about the date but if he really did possess actual feelings for me Ryder had a funny way of showing it.

You know what? If my life was already damaged I didn't want him in it to make it anymore worse.

Swiping the tears I climbed into my car driving past his house and onto the freeway blasting a Sara Bareilles song since she really brought out the feminism in me.

Getting into school I blocked all the previous events out. I was good at that. Concealing feelings and being able to replace them with fake frivalry. I had to learn. Especially with friends like mine.

Rushing into the auditorium I thought I was gonna go blind from the amount of glitter and disco balls that were placed all around the school hall that reflected off of the walls along with the colourful lights that formed patterns on the dance floor. I caught Jay pointing and yelling to a few volunteers to move this to the left and that to the right. She was such a perfectionist.

"Wow, you sure that's enough glitter?" I asked Jay sarcastically as she frantically flipped through her clipboard smiling meekly at me before sticking her tongue out.

I swear, sometimes I think she just enjoys being stressed.

"It's like a unicorn had the worse case of diarrhoea and pooped a sparkly mess," Abbie's click clacking heels sounded as she commented coming into the auditorium with her booming voice. Making everyone halt with whatever they were doing as their jaws dropped open at her revealing outfit.

"I thought they pooped out jellybeans?" Wini scurried behind her talking to herself in a confused voice.

"Glad you could make it, after everything's done," Jay approached with the sound of her metallic jumpsuit swishing along with her movements.

Abbie was decked out in a little leather outfit that I'm pretty sure had nothing to do with the 80's. Her blonde platinum hair was sleeked back and shaped her perfectly rounded face that held her usual upper lip and eyebrow smirk making her think she's better than everyone.

"Well, don't you two look adorbs," she cooed.

"You know me Jay...busy, busy, but since I'm here now," she plucked the clipboard out of Jay's hands, "I don't mind taking over," she passed a smile before striding towards the MC.

"Slut alert," Jay was still fixated on how short her outfit was her eyes rolling. Slinging my arm in her own we walked away.

"At least you're winning your student body President votes the right way," I nudged her in the shoulder waving at a few of the girls who also came in following the dress code. Abbie was bound to be sent home by one of the teacher chaperones.

"I know," she sulked, "but wouldn't it be more fun with a little peekaboo," she winked seductively imitating Abbie's lost gaze and placing two balloons infront of her chest. With that, we both ended up cackling like wicked witches of the West.

Only then I realized that most of the students had begun to roll into the hall in large groups filling up the room quickly with the techno beat pounding off of the walls and vibrating the floor.

1 hour and too many Abba songs later.

"I'm going to take a breather," I yelled to Chad over the blaring music wiping my hands with a serviette.

Snapping his finger and winking I took that as a yes. Apparently being on punch duty was not an easy job after all because I prevented it from being spiked with alcohol a couple of times by the wild crowd.

Everyone in school can thank me later for their soberness.

Waving at a few of the students that called me over to dance I politely refused wanting more than anything to leave this congested place. I didn't even recognize half the students standing around since most of them were from neighbouring schools.

Figures. Everyone just loved crashing Langston High Dances.

Trying to get past the exit I found it difficult to leave when a crowd began forming till they began making way for a group pushing me further back. They walked side by side each other like they owned the school. Catching a slight view of them they were taller than everyone else.

Marcus who was also trying to leave stopped beside me passing a sheepish grin. I just nodded my head back before getting the sudden urgency to pee.

Another downside to being on punch duty- drinking most of it.

Balancing my foot from one side to the other I watched Marcus's expression change when he whistled lowly.

"Would you look at that? Big D and his crew at a high school dance. This town really is falling into the pits."

Where have I heard of them? The race track!

Shoving past a few students to get a closer look I ignored Marcus's call to stay back.

Devon, his henchman-Sean and a few other men strode coolly beside him pushing over a few decorated objects and banners while laughing maniacally. One of them grabbed a cup out of a students hand, plummeting it on the lanky boys head.

Devon spotted me straight up ahead giving a devilish grin that was not at all intriguing. My feet remained rooted to the ground from fear and curiosity of what he might do in front of all these people.

"This night just got interesting," Brittany the biggest gossip couldn't shut her trap as she stood closer beside me anticipating for the events to unfold.

Let me tell you, everything that happened next was a far reach from interesting.

It was crazy. Crazy indeed.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

1.3K 27 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...
A Kiss for Maya De Katherine

Ficção Adolescente

833K 24.6K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...
4.1K 14 20
Trigger warning for the following: -mature content -some strong language -fighting -mentions of abuse Everything was cool. It was fine and normal...
Then There He Was ✓ De Zinny

Ficção Adolescente

63.3K 2.6K 60
FORMERLY KNOW AS MY GREEN-EYED JERK. Anxiety disorders accompanied by a heavy load of sacarsm isn't the best combination for a girl like Samantha who...