Betrothed to the wrong gentle...

By Sinaidkincaid16

SYNOPSIS Lady Madison Sanford dreams of a blissful life being married to a gentleman with a title, and settli... More

BETROTHED TO THE WRONG GENTLEMAN
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 28

69.7K 1.7K 59
By Sinaidkincaid16

‘Lady Madison, we are going to be late.  Please wake up,’ Beth urged.

‘No, I am tired,’ Madison groaned and snuggled deeper under the covers.

‘The duke’s been ready for an hour,’ Beth hoped that would get Madison out of bed.  ‘The carriages are all packed.  Even Mrs. Famworth is done with breakfast.’

‘Oh dear,’ Madison smiled and reluctantly threw off the covers.

Beth was pleased to see the broad smiled plastered across Madison’s cheeks.  ‘You are in a good mood this morning, Lady Madison.’

‘I am---so, so happy Beth,’ Madison stretched and hopped out of bed.

‘Why on earth are your shifts on the wrong way?’

Madison looked down critically at her night garments.  ‘I put them on in the dark.’  This was the truth.  After Chadwick had left her chamber, Madison had sleepily pulled her shifts over her head, not caring about how.  ‘Have you got hot water for me to bath with?’

‘You had a bath last night my lady.  Perhaps you can just wash this morning.  We are late,’ Beth reminded her.

‘I would like to bath please Beth,’ Madison avoided meeting Beth’s eyes.

‘Very well, I shall fetch two jars.  We must hurry.’

When Madison was all cleaned up and beautifully dressed in an emerald green velvet riding gown, she made her way downstairs, none too concerned about keeping her fiancé and her retinue waiting an entire hour.  She waltzed into the dining hall.  It was empty save for two familiar faces at a table.  It seemed the grooms had completed breakfast and were in the carriages.  Chadwick stood up as she approached their table.

‘Good morning,’ she beamed a smile at Chadwick.

‘Lady Madison,’ he greeted courteously.  He had hoped to leave an hour ago, but his gorgeous fiancée was having a time, getting out of bed, it seemed.  He could hardly admonish her, as it was he that had gone into her chamber and kept her awake until a godforsaken hour.

‘Morning Granny Jean,’ Madison dragged out, disappointed at Chadwick’s lukewarm greeting.

‘Did you not sleep well dear?’ Jean observed the dark shadows under Madison’s eyes.

‘It was rather warm last night,’ Madison’s cheeks coloured.  ‘I will just have some tea, then we can be on our way.’

‘Sit down and have breakfast,’ Chadwick instructed.  It was going to be many hours before luncheon and he did not want her fainting on him.

‘I am fine---I---.’

‘Sit down,’ Chadwick’s eyes brooked no argument.

Reluctantly Madison lowered herself into a chair.  She caught the hovering grin on Granny Jean’s face.  Madison scowled, picked up the menu and placed an order.  Chadwick ordered more coffee.  Jean declined anything further.  Madison had thought Chadwick was upset at her for keeping him waiting for an hour, but she found he was in a jovial mood, making conversation, teasing both ladies.  Granny Jean was in hysterics at his observations of the folk of the little village they had spent the night at. 

Madison was pleased when Chadwick offered her his arm as they walked to the carriage.  She stole a glance at him, but he was looking ahead at the carriages in front of them.  He helped Granny Jean in, indicated to Beth to follow the Battleaxe and just as Madison attempted to climb into the carriage, Chadwick held her back, captured her mouth and stole a kiss. Madison gasped.  Her finger instinctively went to her mouth, as if following Chadwick’s lips on hers.  She looked to see if they had been observed, but thankfully his broad shoulders had been a protective wall. 

‘In you get,’ he whispered huskily.  Madison slowly let out her breath and climbed into the carriage. 

It was an overcast day, pleasant enough to make riding bearable.  Granny Jean was relating a story about the last trip she made to Cricklewoods with her beloved late husband.  When Madison found a gap in between Jean’s ramblings, she laid her head against the headrest, deciding to make use of the time to catch up on the sleep she had lost the previous night. 

           "Would you like more champagne dear? Chadwick smiled as they rode to d’Angerville.

‘Yes please,’ Madison smiled at her husband, happy that he was riding with her in the carriage and not sitting in front, steering the horses.

They had been married a week ago.  Her mother had almost fainted at how gaunt Madison had looked, when she’d first glimpsed Madison.  Thankfully when she saw how radiant and in love her daughter was, all was forgotten.
Baron Sanford had forgiven his daughter for the family embarrassment, now that she was to wed a duke, who annoyingly seemed to have no desire to use his rightful title.
Madison had been overjoyed that Chadwick had been sensitive enough to order her a wedding gown.  She had cried tears of joy when she touched the intricate garment of extravagant silk; lace and satin. 
She had turned a bright hue of pink when her mother had informed her that Chadwick had given the modiste instructions on how he wanted the gown designed.  Nobody dared challenge the duke’s desire for the gown to have a plunging neckline and almost bare back, save for the lace that hardly provided any modesty really. 

What had surprised and angered Madison most, was Chadwick’s absolute refusal of the more than generous dowry Baron Sanford had offered him.  In her most verbal and defiant stance Madison had attempted to persuade Chadwick to reconsider, she was summarily lashed with his coldest and most brutal glare. 

“I will not be bought!”

He had growled at Madison and warned her not to meddle in the affairs between men.  Madison had run out of her father’s library and sought solace in the garden.  She had not understood his stupid pride.  Had he not said, he had used all his own funds to settle his father’s debts?  Had he not cautioned her to be frugal after they married?  Madison was fast learning that her marriage to Addinell Chadwick Busquent d’Angers the ninth Duke of d’Angerville was on his terms and his terms only.

She had to credit him for being a romantic though.  After the wedding, he had taken her to an idealistic country hotel that was favoured by honeymooning couples.  Madison had spent four blissful days and nights there with her attentive husband.  He had been the charming, flirtatious, boyish man she had fallen in love with it seemed a long time ago now.

The three ducal carriages were on their way to d’Angerville now.  Chadwick had promised to return in a month’s time for Lady Sarah’s wedding.  Tonight they would put over at an Inn, by afternoon tomorrow they would reach d’Angerville.  Madison was looking forward to being in her husband’s arms tonight.  He could be loutish and arrogant most times, but at night, he was the most attentive and consummate lover. 

Madison had commandeered the full time services of her personal maid Beth and the groom Buttons.  Much to Chadwick’s consternation, Madison had made the risqué request to her husband to relieve the ailing butler from his former master, Rankin Swain the Earl of Craggvale.  Chadwick had nearly gone ballistic, when she had made the request.  But when he saw the compassion in Madison’s eyes as she related how Rankin exploited the butler and did not attend to the old man’s medical needs, he yielded to her impassioned plea.  He instructed Nester, his butler in Cricklewoods to take the man a few bags of gold coins.  That should see the old man nicely into retirement.  Chadwick wondered now if the unpleasant surprise he had in store for his new wife was too harsh.

‘There you go my dearest wife,’ Chadwick hopped off and held out his hands for Madison.  ‘Welcome to your new home.’

Madison took advantage of Chadwick’s arms and stayed longer.  She stretched and smiled happily.  ‘Thank you,’ she looked around.

Madison observed the quaint single storey cottage.  It did not seem tiny, but it was by no means impressive.  She had somehow expected more of a Ducal home.  She had assumed the d’Angerville estate held at least an opulent looking home.  The property was fairly large, just the house was less than she had anticipated.  Even her father’s home in Cricklewoods looked opulent compared to this.

Chadwick stood his ground and watched the play of emotions on his wife’s face.  Clearly she was not impressed.  Well she married him, not the Prince of Wales, so she would just have to make do.  His eyes widened as he watched Madison hasten into the garden.  She did not go in to inspect her new house as he thought she would.

At least there is an abundance of fruit, herbs and the potential to grow vegetables.

Madison smiled, bent down and plucked a fruit and bit into it.

‘Madison what are you doing?’ Chadwick lifted her to her feet.

‘Mamma used to make gooseberry pie when I was little,’ she laughed softly.  ‘Here taste this,’ she put the remainder of the fruit into Chadwick’s mouth.  His eyes never left hers as he chewed on the fruit.  He did not like its sharp taste. ‘Mamma used to allow me to lick the pink sugar---,’ her eyes darkened, as she gazed into Chadwick’s amused eyes.  She looked away shyly.  He lifted her chin, lowered his head.

‘Not here--,’ Madison pulled away, but Chadwick drew her against his chest and captured her mouth.  She could not resist, not when she always found him so desirable.  Her hands circled his neck.  He captured her soft sigh with his lips.

She only mildly resisted when he lifted her into his arms and cradled her against his chest like a baby.  He walked purposefully towards the house.

‘Chadwick---no!’  Beth and Buttons were in full view, off loading the carriages.

‘Mustn’t a husband carry his wife over the threshold,’ he grinned down at her.

‘Oh.’

He set her down in the living room.   From what Madison could tell, there was a huge kitchen, two bedrooms, and a third room that was possibly a library.

‘This is our house?’  She could not hide her disappointment.  ‘I thought your father had an estate!’

‘I told you---there was a lot of debt.’  His tone was angry as if he did not want to speak about it.  Madison left his side and walked to the kitchen.  There was a huge stove, a larger than life table and other useable appliances.  She opened the cupboards, they were empty.

‘Buttons and I will go to the market and get supplies,’ he turned away.

‘Where is the accommodation for Beth and Buttons?’

‘There are two smaller furnished cabins at the back.  That will be their dwellings,’ he raised an eyebrow, inviting more questions.  She stayed silent.

‘You are not to leave this property and go anywhere.  Do I make myself clear?’  He was aware of her penchant to wander off in Cricklewoods.

‘Yes Your Grace,’ she hissed through clenched teeth.

‘Chadwick,’ he corrected her.  ‘Jackals have been spotted, prowling not far from our property.  I do not want you attacked.

‘But---why did you bring me here, if it is not safe?’  Her eyes filled with fear.

‘You are safe,’ he walked towards her, ‘if you listen to me.’  He wrapped his arms around her.  The property is securely fenced.  ‘Now, let me go get the supplies.’  He turned around from the doorway.  ‘You have no additional staff Madison.  It is just you and Beth to attend to this house,’ he waved his hand around. 
Madison narrowed her eyes angrily.

‘Get out!’ she yelled and make your own supper.  She slammed the cupboard shut, brushed past him and ran into one of the larger looking bedrooms.  Chadwick winced at the ear piercing sound of the door in the bed chamber slamming.  Madison stood behind the door and heaved heavily. 

Okay, I can do this.  I married the beast.  I do love him damn it.  So what if he is proud?  So what if there is no additional staff to cook and clean?  Beth and I can do it.  It is not so large thankfully.

 When Madison heard the carriage drive away, she toured the cottage with a critical eye.  It was manageable.  The bedchambers were fairly decent.  The larger one had an enormous bed, with its own bath chamber.  The smaller one only housed a bed, and a single unit closet.  Madison was tempted to take the smaller chamber for herself, but she loved the novelty of waking up in Chadwick’s arms every morning.  She was not prepared to revert to sleeping alone.

The sitting room was comfortable, with a fire place, lovely lounge seats and a coffee table.  Madison could make this her home.  All she wanted was Chadwick.  The size of their home did not matter.

‘It is lovely, is it not, my lady?’ Beth smiled.

‘I like it,’ Madison smiled back.  ‘Although you would have noticed, it is just you and I that will manage this cottage Beth.’

‘It shall be my responsibility,’ Beth insisted.  ‘You are now a duchess---.’

‘Did you not hear my husband’, Madison emphasized.  ‘He has no desire to accept his title.’

‘Buttons and I shall take care of the place.  At least it is not too large and everything looks brand new here,’ Beth admired the sparse furniture.  ‘I shall pack your garments into the cupboards, my lady.’

Madison found a broom and swept out the place.  She cleaned the cupboards in the kitchen.  She opened the kitchen door to look for fire wood then quickly slammed the door again. 

Damn Jackals. 

She took a step backwards and banged into a hard wall of flesh.

‘I am glad you heeded my warning,’ he circled his arms around her. 

‘You are back,’ Madison turned around in his arms.  ‘I wanted to look for firewood,’ she threaded her arms around his waist.

‘That is not your job.  Buttons will ensure there is always three day’s supply inside the cottage.’

‘So what is my job?’

‘You can make our meals every day, if it is not too much trouble,’ he suggested.

‘And when I finish making the meals?’

‘You will not leave the property,’ he raised his voice.

‘Why can I not walk with Buttons?  It looks beautiful.’

‘Yo will only walk with me,’ he instructed.

‘What did you bring back?’ she shoved him away.

‘Come have a look,’ he grinned and held out his hand.

Madison found it difficult to ignore the outstretched hand.  Automatically her hand slipped into his.  She inspected the crates filled with a variety of vegetables, canned meat products, tea, coffee, sugar, milk, rice, flour and various other supplies.  Another had toiletries and cleaning products.

‘This is for you,’ Chadwick murmured from behind her.  She turned around and took the bag from his hand.  Inside was a bar of chocolate, pink sugar cubes, and rose scented perfume.

‘Thank you darling,’ she threw her arms around his neck.  At least he thought about her.

‘Will you be happy as my wife?’ he demanded.

‘Yes,’ she answered truthfully.  Even if they had water and bread for each meal, as long as he was with her, she would be happy. 

‘Use the supplies sparingly,’ Chadwick instructed.  ‘We shall only go to the market again in a week’s time.'
Madison fired a glacial stare at him.  Had he not been so proud, they could have had her father’s dowry.  She began packing the supplies away, ignoring him standing there.  Her mind was contemplating what to make for their supper.  Perhaps a vegetable stew with dumplings?

‘Leave that, let us have supper,’ Chadwick instructed.

‘Supper? But I have not cooked it yet.’

‘I thought I would treat my wife tonight,’ he curved his arm around her waist and led her to the sitting room.

Madison could smell fried chicken and there were other boxes with treats in them.

‘Do not touch that,’ he instructed when she attempted to open the smallest box.  Madison’s hands dangled in midair.

‘Let us eat,’ he held a chair at the two seater table.

‘What about Beth and Buttons?’

‘They are having the same meal in their quarters.’

‘So will we never entertain people?’ Madison asked, serving him some of the chicken and vegetables.

‘Not in the near future,’ his tone was icy, as he helped himself to a bread roll.

‘When then?’ Madison demanded, ignoring his warning glare.

‘When I say so,’ he slammed his knife down.  Madison jumped in her seat.  She lowered her head and ate without making another sound.  The main meal was completed in silence.

‘I shall make coffee,’ Chadwick stood up.  He took her dishes and his to the kitchen.  ‘Sit there,’ he instructed.  He returned with a tray with coffee and two side plates.  When he placed the plate in front of Madison, she was shocked to see it was gooseberry pie.  She looked up to where the tiny container was, but it was not there anymore.

‘I do not want pudding,’ she pushed it away.  He was annoying her with his caveman antics.

Chadwick took her plate and his and walked with it to the coffee table.  He came back, took their coffee and placed that at the coffee table as well.  He came back a third time and lifted Madison into his arms.

‘What are you doing?’ she banged at his chest, for she could not escape his hands like steel around her body.  For a tall man, he lowered himself still carrying her with admirable ease.

‘Now,’ Chadwick murmured, picking up her plate.  ‘I believe my wife likes gooseberry pie,’ he lifted a spoonful to her mouth.

‘Open,’ he murmured softly.

Of their own accord, her lips parted.  He directed the spoon into her mouth.  Her eyes closed, as she savoured the taste.  She sighed, appreciating the delicious treat.  Her lips parted for more, but it was not pie that entered her mouth but Chadwick’s tongue.  Her eyes flew open and met his closed ones.  Her hands reached up and cupped his face. 

‘You taste delicious,’ she heard his husky sigh.  ‘Can we retire to bed?’

‘No,’ she pushed him away.  ‘I want to finish my pudding.  Finish your coffee,’ she instructed.

Chadwick threw his head back and laughed.  He settled Madison on his lap and handed her, her plate and enjoyed his own pudding.

‘I still have to pack the supplies away,’ she reminded him.

‘You must be tired, after our long journey.  You can do it tomorrow,’ he stated.  ‘Buttons and Beth have the evening off as well.’

‘Are you tired too?’ she whispered.

‘Not so tired that I cannot make love to you,’ he teased in a hoarse tone.

‘I am done with my pudding and coffee,’ she murmured.

‘Let me take all of it into the kitchen.  Stay right there.  I want to carry you to our chamber.’

‘Hurry,’ she smiled.  It took Chadwick a minute or so to put everything away and stack the dirty dishes into a bucket.  When he got back, Madison was right where he had left her.

‘Did you notice the bath is big enough for two?’ he grinned.

‘You are not bathing with me,’ she ordered.

‘I’ve dismissed Beth.  You need help.’

‘I can do that on my own,’ she blushed.

‘But I want to,’ he lifted her up again.  Madison’s arm clung to his neck.  Her cheek pressed against his chest.

When Madison awoke in the morning, she purred happily.  He had been so amazing last night.  So gentle, so loving, so fulfilling, yet she wanted more now.  Madison reached out for Chadwick.  He was not there.  No head on the pillow and no husband next to her.  She lifted herself up and pulled the sheets higher.  There was a note on Chadwick’s pillow.

Good morning my sweet wife.  Have some errands to attend to. 

Will see you tonight: C        

       end chapter twenty eight

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.1K 2.9K 88
[START : 21 JULY, 2020] [COMPLETE : 19 AUGUST, 2023] #1 in murder #1 in Possessive He kissed me back with urgency, at last pulling my bottom lip bet...
457 5 16
*Content Introduction* I swear, Your Grace will not regret marrying me. I became an extra doomed to be assassinated shortly after marriage. It's sad...
23.4M 772K 67
~-~-~-~-~-~- He moved back to my ear, whispering huskily, making shivers run down my body, "Can I kiss you Miss Delan?" His warm minty breath tickle...
6.1K 321 122
Life after the ceremony was different. Kali was completely alone for the first time in her life, no parents making her obey, no mate to confide in. S...