Betrothed to the wrong gentle...

Par Sinaidkincaid16

SYNOPSIS Lady Madison Sanford dreams of a blissful life being married to a gentleman with a title, and settli... Plus

BETROTHED TO THE WRONG GENTLEMAN
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 27

65.9K 1.8K 51
Par Sinaidkincaid16

Madison looked out the carriage window.  It was nearing dusk.  She wondered where Chadwick would put up for the night.  Not that she minded much.  She was rather impressed with the convoy of three ducal carriages.  They were impressive, luxurious and most comfortable.  Though the horses would need to be fed and rested.  She, Granny Jean and Beth occupied one coach.  Chadwick’s grooms travelled in a second coach and a third coach carried their luggage.  Chadwick had insisted on being at the reins on the ladies carriage.  Pride filled Madison at how skilled a driver her new fiancé was.  She loved the sound of that even if it was only a mental one.

‘A penny for them,’ Granny Jean’s gentle voice interrupted her thoughts, next to her.  Beth, sat across from them, with her eyes closed.

‘I beg your pardon,’ Madison breathed embarrassedly.

‘There was rather a pleasurable smile hovering on your lips.’

‘It---is nothing, really,’ Madison studied her fingers.

‘I am pleased he has come.’

‘Who?’ Madison questioned, even though she knew.

‘The duke.  He was the one that shattered your heart into pieces.  Was he not?’ Granny Jean’s wise eyes held Madison’s.

There was no point denying it.  ‘How did you know?’

‘It was plain for the world to see sweet one,’ Granny Jean took Madison’s hand in hers.  ‘But now there is a new energy raging inside you.  You love him very much do  you not?’

‘Yes.’

‘I noticed how much when we were having breakfast,’ Granny Jean chuckled.  ‘If you had claws, you would have struck me.’

‘No---I---I do not know what you mean,’ but her inflamed cheeks gave her away.

‘You have nothing to fear dear one.  Those parts of my body do not even function anymore,’ Granny Jean chortled.

‘Granny Jean!’  The blush spread across Madison’s face, ears and throat.  She loosened the lace on her dress, trying to allow the breeze to cool her down.  ‘I apologize.  I should have spoken to you about Chad---about His Grace.’

‘You needed time,’ she smiled.  ‘I am glad he has not made you wait too long.  Now tell that man of yours, he must put out for the night.  I am full of dust.  I need a bath and a bed.’

Madison inhaled deeply before she knocked on the roof nervously with her parasol.  She heard a loud whistle.  Instantly the horses were brought to a placid halt. The carriage had not even once rocked as they became stationery.  When Chadwick stood at the open carriage door looking rather dash and debonair, like the way a strapping Duke should look, Madison’s eyes took her fill of him, as she let out a rushed breath.  She was rudely brought to order by a sharp knock to her side by Granny’s Jean’s elbow.

‘Um---Granny Jean would like to know where you will be putting up for the night,’ Madison tore hers eyes away from Chadwick’s with much effort.

‘That is not what I said,’ Granny Jean corrected.  ‘I said you must call it a day.  I am tired and hungry and in need of a bath.’

Chadwick looked up at the sky.  There was still an hour or two before night would fall.  He had hoped to cover a little more distance nevertheless, he had to take note of the Battleaxe’s needs.  She was not young.  They had covered sufficient ground for the first day.  He could make some allowances, especially since his delectable lady had not even once sulked or complained about how hard they had been riding today.

‘There is an Inn around that corner, about ten minutes away’ Chadwick pointed.  ‘We shall put up for the night and change horses there,’ he smiled pleasantly at the Battleaxe.

‘Thank you Your Grace,’ she winked.  ‘Charming as ever,’ she flirted with Chadwick.  This time Madison took comfort in Jean’s earlier words.  At least she knew her grandmother’s flirting was innocent and harmless.  Madison looked across and gave Granny Jean a half smile.

Chadwick had installed the ladies in rooms next to each other on the third floor.  His and his groom’s rooms were on the second floor.  Madison liked her chamber.  It was spacious, with its own bath.  The room was clean and smelt of lavender.    Madison had checked on Granny Jean to make sure her room was comfortable and her bath was arranged.   Granny Jean shushed her out, saying they did not have much time.  She rushed back to her own chamber.  Chadwick had instructed the ladies to be in the dining room in thirty minutes.

‘My lady, should I lay this gown out for you,’ Beth held an attractive sapphire blue evening gown up for Madison’s approval.  Madison smiled, it was a most stunning gown, however she suspected it was going to just hang on her unattractively.

‘Yes, thank you.  I will just quickly bath.’

‘I will be in to wash your hair in a minute,’ Beth smiled.

‘There’s ---no time.  His Grace wants us down in about twenty five minutes.’

‘Nonsense Lady Madison.  His Grace will have to wait.  I am going to make you beautiful.’

Madison did want to look beautiful for Chadwick however she did not want to test his wrath.  ‘Please let us hurry,’ Madison peeled her garments off and slid into the hot, rose scented water.

When Madison completed her bath routine, feeling blissfully refreshed.  Beth helped her into her shifts and the gown.

‘Beth,’ Madison smiled happily at how perfectly the gown fitted her.  ‘Whatever have you done to it?’

Beth laughed.  ‘I just added some darts at the back my lady.’  It was so well done and hidden in the shoulder blades.  One could hardly spot it at a glance.

‘Oh thank you Beth,’ Madison hugged her maid.  ‘You are amazing.  I love it.’

‘Now let us get your hair done,’ Beth tapped the chair for her to sit in.

‘Do hurry please Beth.’

‘You cannot wait for His Grace to see the dress, I bet,’ Beth naughtily teased.

Madison blushed.  She was also most eager to be in his company again.

‘There you go,’ Beth tugged at the strands on the side, to get it to drop the way she wanted.  ‘You look stunning Lady Madison.’

Madison was uneasy as she made her way down the stairs.  Her hand glided nervously on the banister as she made her way down the stairs.  The dining room was full.  It was loud and smelt of a heavenly aroma.  Madison had not realized how hungry she was.  Come to think of it, she could not remember when she last paid attention to any food.  Her eyes immediately found Chadwick’s.  He was the tallest man sitting there, with the widest shoulders.  He had taken a bath as well and looked regal in an expensive looking gold evening coat and white shirt.  She wondered when had he had the time to bath, he had supervised the care of the horses and their luggage.

Chadwick rose the second Madison stood at the entrance to the dining room. He watched as she scanned the room looking for her party of two.  He held his breath.  She had kept him waiting fifteen minutes.  It was worth every second.  She looked striking in a body fitting gown.  It emphasized her delightful curves in all the right places.  His fingers tingled, eager to touch her bare flesh. Her hair looked most attractive, all pinned up, wisps of it artfully falling at the sides, curling down her cheeks.  Their eyes locked and held.  Everything else became a blur, the people around them, the noise, hunger and thirst forgotten.  Madison smiled, liking the appreciation and desire evident in Chadwick’s eyes.  She lowered her eyes.  He covered the few steps to her.

‘You look lovely Lady Madison,’ he offered her his arm.

She was disappointed.  She had hoped he would at least kiss her cheek.  ‘Thank you,’ she placed her hand lightly on his arm.  Chadwick seated her opposite him, Jean sat to his right.  Madison could not keep her eyes off Chadwick as they completed their first course.  Every time she looked up his eyes were trained on her.  Fortunately Granny Jean was rambling on and Madison did not need to think about making intelligent table conversation.  Often Chadwick would respond to Granny Jean.  Occasionally he called Madison into the conversation.  All she could offer were monosyllabic responses for her brain had decided to retire for the day.  Madison had however thoroughly enjoyed the lamb stew.  Chadwick had been most pleased to see her heartily enjoying dinner.  The coffee had been awful.  There was uncomfortable quiet now around the table.  Granny Jean looked as if she was going to doze off at the table.

‘Are we having more coffee?’ Granny asked Madison.

‘Not for me thank you,’ Madison shook her head.  ‘Thank you that was a lovely meal,’ she addressed Chadwick.

‘Only a pleasure,’ he answered courteously.

‘Shall we retire?’ Granny Jean looked at Madison.

Madison’s heart sunk.  She had hoped to spend more time with Chadwick.  She was only getting glimpses of him in the day when they stopped to give the horses water and rest.

  ‘Yes,’ she answered.

Chadwick stood up and helped the Battleaxe out of her chair.  He offered his arm to her, which she took delight in holding onto.  Madison walked next to Granny Jean.  She heard her ask Chadwick what time were they setting of in the morning.  Chadwick had informed her, and also that the Inn would  prepare lunch which they would have when the horses were resting. Granny Jean asked him to include her special brand of tea.

‘Good night dear,’ Madison had not realized Granny Jean had engineered that her chamber was the first they stopped at.  Madison’s eyes fell on Chadwick.

‘Good night Your Grace,’ she mumbled.

Chadwick groaned silently when he saw the disappointment in her eyes.  ‘Good night my dear,’ Chadwick boldly took her in his arms and kissed her cheek.  She looked up into his face and smiled.

‘Good night Granny Jean,’ she kissed her grandma and closed her door.

Chadwick knew exactly what the sly Battleaxe had done.  He would bide his time.  He offered his arm to her again and walked her to her own chamber.  He lifted the bed covers for her.  Chadwick had arranged a maid from the Inn to attend to the Battleaxe’s personal needs.  The maid was in the chamber now.  She had been awaiting the Battleaxe.

‘Shall we take some tea Mrs. Famworth?

The Battleaxe had to look up quite high to search Chadwick’s eyes.  ‘Are you not tired Your Grace?  We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow.’

‘I fancy a game of checkers with you Mrs. Famworth?  You are not afraid of defeat are you?’ he challenged.

Granny Jean pulled a chair and sat down.  ‘Bring it on boy,’ she accepted.  ‘Order in some tea will you?’ she requested of the maid.

Chadwick took his time, assessing every move.  He had been right to suspect she was an excellent checkers player.  She always thought two or more moves ahead.  He liked that she was a thinking opponent.

‘You have been holding out on me boy, haven’t you,’ she admonished fondly.  ‘You were far too modest,’ she saw Chadwick was giving her quite a run for her money.

Chadwick drew the game out as long as he could.  Feigning disappointment, he allowed the Battleaxe to beat him.  He demanded a replay, hoping desperately she would decline.

‘My bones are tired Your Grace,’ she smiled.  ‘I must turn in or I am going to fall asleep here at the table.’

Chadwick stood up immediately.  ‘I do beg your pardon Mrs. Famworth.  I have been most inconsiderate.’

‘Nonsense.  You just love my company,’ she winked playfully.  ‘Good night Your Grace,’ she dismissed him.

Madison undressed and slipped into her nightshift.  She brushed the tear away angrily and slid into bed.  What she was sulking for, she had no idea.  Surely she realized Granny Jean had to ensure propriety in a public place like the Inn.  Chadwick himself could not very well challenge the old lady, even though he was a duke, after all Granny Jean was her chaperone on this trip back to her family home in Cricklewoods. 

I hate society and its propriety. 

She swiped at another tear that fell on her cheek.  After the long, tiring journey and her soothing bath, Madison found her eyes drooping.

‘Madison,’ he pressed his lips to her throat.  ‘Wake up.’  She stirred.  Those erotic lips on her throat were familiar.  The hands caressing her hair was known to her.  That body scent, that warm breath against her cheek---.

Her eyes flew open.  ‘Chadwick!’  She was shocked to see him sitting on her bed, leaning over her.  ‘What are you doing in my chamber?’ she whispered in shock.

‘Visiting you,’ he grinned.

‘Granny Jean---?’

‘Is fast asleep after beating me at checkers.’

‘Why were you crying?’  He traced the dried tear on her cheek.

‘I was not,’ she lied.

‘Were you missing me perhaps?’ He leaned over her body, pressing soft kisses against her earlobe.

‘No,’ she lied again.

‘Should I leave?’

‘No,’ her hands encircled his neck, trapping him.

‘I did not think so,’ his mouth sought hers hungrily.

‘You have too much clothes on,’ he complained.

‘We are not going to---.’

‘We are,’ he countered.  ‘I want you, my beautiful,’ his tongue caressed her soft throat.  ‘You looked ravishing tonight,’ he accused.

‘Oh Chadwick.  I want you too,’ she helped him out off his clothes.  ‘What if---?’

‘Nothing, I have locked your door,’ he ripped the night shift off her body.’

‘So beautiful,’ his palms closed over each off her shapely breasts.  ‘Touch me,’ he demanded as his tongue teased her aroused nipples.

Madison purred delightfully as his naked body fell over hers.  ‘Chadwick,’ she sighed happily reaching for his mouth. They kissed.  Their tongues dance in sweet unison.  Their naked bodies met like pieces of a puzzle, fitting perfectly.  Chadwick held her tightly after their earth shattering climax.  He rolled over and lifted Madison onto his chest.  She smiled contently, raking her hands through his hair. Her head lowered and she brushed her lips to his seductively.

‘I should leave.  We must be up in only a few hours,’ murmured.

‘Good night,’ she murmured, kissing him and making no effort whatsoever to release him.

‘Madison,’ he groaned.

‘Okay,’ she reluctantly released him.

‘Do not wear any garment to bed tomorrow night,’ he instructed.

‘You will come to me again?’ She asked with eager anticipation.

‘Yes, and every night after that till my very last breath,’ he kissed her lips and disappeared into the night.

   -end chapter twenty seven-

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

10.3K 406 22
A certain Charlie Chadwick, billionaire businessman and sole heir to the number one business in London, is known for his arrogance and cold attitude...
102K 9.2K 36
After narrowly escaping an assassination, a new king in disguise escapes to his childhood home only to discover that his unwanted betrothed has been...
3.6K 81 25
His soft hum, and chuckle he lets out against my ear lobe has me shivering. "You can keep telling yourself that once we leave this school, graduate...
2.6M 19.4K 12
|#1 in Romance| Chapters taken down for a while. Go through the link in my profile bio to read all the chapters :) RYAN PARKER, famous entrepreneur...