The Cost of Love

By seaofgold

"I used to always talk about escaping this place. Always thinking about it, always dreaming about it. I would... More

The Cost of Love
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 32

256 7 4
By seaofgold

Chapter 32

Song of the chapter is "Why" by Rascal Flatts. An oldie but a goodie

Gif of Connor just because I'm in love with him

Kiara POV

Panic. That was all my mind could process as I shook Connor's shoulder lightly. 

"Connor?" A sob rose in my throat as I shook him harder, jostling his lifeless body. "Connor!" 

I prayed with everything I had inside me that he'd open his eyes, that they would flutter or something before they'd be staring into my own again, green against grey. But he just laid there, his mouth even relaxing from the slight grimace he was trying so hard to hide. 

"No," I choked out. "No! Connor, wake up, you have to stay awake!" I pounded on his chest. "Please!" Everything flashed in my mind, all my dreams of having him in the pack house with me. Running around and chasing him during training. Eating chocolate cake in the café. Even eventually becoming Luna. Every plan I had taken for granted was now precious, barely alive in the battered body of my mate, the one who was made for me. 

My whole body was numb as I felt hands shove me to the side, blocking my view of my mate. My possessive side was coming out full force, my wolf wanting to take over as I was growing more fearful for Connor's well being. My hands were shaking by my sides as I watched the medic place an oxygen mask over Connor's nose and mouth. 

"Connor," I called weakly, needing him to be okay. He promised he'd fight, and he needed to know that I was with him. Fighting alongside him. I stumbled back over to the stretcher, despite the grumbles of the medic beside me. I grasped Connor's hand in my own, interlacing my fingers with his dangling ones and squeezing tight. He needed to know I was here. I'd always be here. 

I'll always be in love with you, his raspy voice echoed in my mind, full of pain and finality. I blinked away the tears welling up in my eyes and shook my head slightly. He would tell me he loved me again. I had to believe that. 

I glanced up at the medic just in time to see him looking at Connor's hand in mine, sympathy gracing his features. He looked away as soon as he noticed my gaze, and I fought the urge to snap at him; Connor would be fine, there was no need for pity! 

Once we had reached the hospital and Connor was wheeled in, his hand wretched from my grasp, doctors rushed out to meet us. I followed them helplessly as we rounded corner after corner in the sterile building before we stopped at an operation room. 

"Another one shot?" a doctor inquired. He had salt and pepper hair, and his light blue eyes were narrowed in concentration. He was already putting on rubber gloves, preparing for surgery it looked like. The medic nodded his head. 

"Poison." The word stung my heart. 

"Please save him." I tried to sound strong, but my voice broke at the end. "Please, he's my mate, please," I begged the doctor. 

It was like I hadn't even said anything as they just kept wheeling him down the hallway. They were probably used to hysterical mates begging for their loved one's lives. Some people in the hospital recognized me, but I wasn't about to feel embarrassed about the publicity when my mate was in critical condition. Anyways, they were too busy caring over their own injuries to stare at the Alpha's daughter. 

We finally reached the preparation room when the doctor finally acknowledged me. "Kiara," he said gently in that perfect, doctor tone. He was trying to break something to me... 

"The poison has started to reach his vitals," he explained slowly, like I was a child. "It might be too much for his body to endure surgery. We will prep him for the surgery and blood transfusion, but in the meantime it might be a good idea to start saying your goodbyes." His eyebrows knitted in concern; he probably had to tell wolves that their mates, their reason for living, was going to die all the time. 

But my heart stopped. I was beginning to see dark spots clouding my vision, but I willed myself to stay conscious. "N-No," I stuttered. "You're going to save him. He- he promised he would fight it!" I was rambling to myself, unable to recognize the fact that Connor would be gone forever. 

I scrambled over to Connor's side, grasping his hand tight once more. "You're going to live through this, you hear me?" I begged him. His face was slightly angled towards me, so I drank in his presence. He was so pale, I could see the thin veins on his closed eyelids. "We're going to go home, and we're going to move your stuff out from the fourth floor, and you'll probably make fun of me for sleeping with socks on every night, but I can't help it that my feet get cold." I was rambling hysterically now. "We're going to go home and train after this, okay baby? I'll train every day of my life if that's what you want," I smoothed my hand down his cheek as tears spilled down my own. 

Suddenly, the doors to the hospital opened with a bang, and the squeaking of footsteps on the shiny floor could be heard down the hall. The preparation room door was slammed open, and my father was there, panting hard. Did he run here? 

"That," he pointed to Connor. I couldn't even see him with all the medical staff prepping him for surgery. "Is my daughter's mate and the future Alpha of this pack." The doctor just stared at him, wide-eyed. He was using his Alpha command voice, causing some of the medics shrink into themselves. "You will save his life, or you will be exiled from this pack." 

"But sir, no wolf has ever survived a poison attack, especially one that-" 

"I don't give a damn about the statistics!" My dad roared. "You will save his life, or I will find a more skilled professional who can. Do I make myself clear?" he all but growled. 

I was speechless, more so about the fact that my dad had just threatened highly trained doctors on Connor's behalf. But I was beyond thankful. The doctors seemed to get the message as they hurried over to Connor, making sure he was ready for surgery. 

Finally, my dad looked at me, and I could see the sorrow in his features. I bit my lip so I wouldn't start sobbing and nodded my head in gratitude. I couldn't even speak or I wouldn't be able to keep it together. 

I don't know how I was able to follow the medics into the treatment room, but it seemed that they didn't even notice me as they fawned over Connor, poking needles through his arms and giving him fluids I didn't understand. I saw his blood, so dark it was almost black, running through a tube and into a large, hanging bag. The steady rhythm of the heart monitor was driving me insane; it was the only thing I could hear in the huge treatment room as doctors ran back and forth with different tools, black blood staining their gloves. 

I don't know how long I stood there, probably looking small and ridiculous with my wide eyes, wearing nothing but a thin, red robe. I was aware of my whole body shaking, but I couldn't take my eyes off Connor. His hair was swept across his face, and my fingers itched so badly to brush it out of his eyes. To feel the soft strands between my fingers. 

But then, it happened. 

The long, incessant beep of the heart monitor. 

The doctors rushed around him, screaming medical terms I couldn't understand. All I knew was that my mate, the one soul that was literally matched to mine, was gone. Dead. His heart gave out, and I lost him. I still had the vision of his smile etched in my mind, the way his eyes were freckled with gold in the sun. His strong jaw, tensing with the bunching of his muscles. The way he picked me up when he kissed me because he was too tall to bend down. The way he looked at me like I was something precious, like a glass doll that he had to protect. 

I lost him. 

I was vaguely aware of someone screaming, and I finally registered that it was me as the medics were restraining me from getting closer to him. I even started growling as my wolf side threatened to consume me completely. I could've shifted right there, I swear. They were screaming at me to stop struggling, wary of the fact that my claws were staring to appear. But all I could hear was that long beep. I'd never forget it for as long as I lived. 

The doctors were pumping at his chest, using tools to shock the life back into his body. But he was still. He was so, so still. 

I heard something along the lines of "Get her out of here," but I was too busy flailing my arms, reaching my hands out to hold my mate. To feel his skin on mine. He needed to know I was here, always. 

Suddenly, I felt someone pull my arms back and whisper fiercely in my ear. "Kiara! You need to calm down. They need to focus on Connor!" Adrian tried to soothe me, but I continued to kick and scream. 

"No!" I sobbed. "He promised!" He was gone. I still couldn't believe it. Was it really this morning that he was in my bedroom, his long legs tangled with mine as he sleepily pressed kisses to my neck? 

After what was probably the longest thirty four seconds of my entire life, the doctor finally called out, "We've got a pulse!" The medics immediately stopped restraining me to focus on assisting the doctors with whatever they needed. I, however, was still screaming in denial, the shock of Connor's condition still making me want to be near him. 

"Kiara, they're going to sedate you if you don't leave the treatment room! C'mon, we can sit in the hallway, I promise," Adrian continued, pulling me back towards the door. I forced myself to think rationally. He was right; I was only distracting the doctors at this point, and I would do no good to Connor if I was sedated for hours. 

I let myself slump in his arms, bawling into his chest. My body was heaving violently as I balled my fists in Adrian's T-shirt. "No," I continued to chant between sobs. "No, no, no..." 

He swept me up in his arms as if I weighed nothing at all and brought his hand up to smooth my hair. "I know, Keek. I know." 

______________________________________

Ugh :(

Sorry, another depressing chapter. How much longer can we endure this?!?!?! 

I'm literally crying for Kiara, anyone else? 

Please don't forget to Vote/Comment/Fan and Enjoy! 

xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.8K 172 20
Alice, a broken girl who has lost her last hope of ever being rescued by her mate. She has been living in a dungeon for 15 years. She lost family and...
99.5K 3.4K 52
Highest ranking: #216 in werewolf #44in female alpha #1 in nerdy Why have a mate when you're an independent, badass female alpha who is more than...
1.3M 43.7K 35
My memories always haunt me. And they never cease. They come back when I hear a simple howl at night. I wish they would just disapear, like how I ma...
8K 222 28
Kiara Blackmoon. A powerful Alpha whose pack was slaughtered not too long ago. Now a rouge, she has been on the run, hunted by the same people who t...