A Lady's Fate

Por welshfoxglove

Lady Helena Rowley's fate was sealed before she was born. As the only child of the powerful Earl of Alverton... Más

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four - Mary
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven - Mary
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve - Mary
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen - Mary
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen - Mary
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One - Mary
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four - Mary
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Mary
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Edmund
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One - Mary
Chapter Thirty-Two
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Two

3.2K 318 16
Por welshfoxglove

   Helena could not recall the last time she had smiled so much. From the moment she accepted Joseph's proposal, the wide, childlike grin had never left her face – and by the time they arrived back at Louisa's house in Grosvenor Square, Helena's cheeks were almost aching from so much happiness.

As the carriage came to a halt, however, Helena's smile evaporated without a trace. In fact, the entire atmosphere within the carriage changed; the jovial mood of celebration being replaced with fear and uncertainty, as each passenger recalled the extremely fragile state of baby George's health when they had taken their leave that morning. With an anxious gulp, Helena suddenly found herself wondering what they would find upon re-entering the house.

Upon being shown into the entrance hall by Louisa's butler, Helena was met by a shrill wailing. Although slightly muffled, as if coming from some distance away, there could be no mistaking it – and it filled Helena's already elated heart with such joy she felt it might burst.

Without a word to Joseph or Louisa, who had just entered the hall, Helena bolted up the staircase towards the source of the noise. Up she hurried, flying past the grand ballroom, the library, the drawing room – up until she came to the storey where the guests were housed, where the wailing was loudest of all.

At the sound of Helena's pounding footsteps, the door to Margaret's bedchamber flew open, and a flushed, breathless Mary came dashing out of the room.

"Oh, Lady Helena!" she cried, taking her by the wrists and towing her towards the open door. "You will not believe your eyes!"

By now well used to Mary's exuberance, Helena willingly allowed herself to be pulled into the sunlit bedchamber – and the scene which met her there brought tears instantly to her eyes.

There on the four-poster bed, plumped up by numerous pillows, was the pale and fragile Margaret. Having not seen her since George took ill, Helena was distressed by her gaunt, lifeless appearance – yet despite all this, Margaret was beaming from ear to ear as she watched her little boy sleep peacefully.

"When did this happen?" asked Helena incredulously. Upon taking their leave that very morning, it had appeared George's fate was all but sealed; to see him sleep so deeply now, and to hear the rattle receding from his chest, was truly a miraculous turn of events indeed.

"It was sometime early this afternoon," Mary told her eagerly, answering for Margaret, who seemed both too fatigued and bemused to speak.

 "The doctor has just now taken his leave – and he, too, believes it very possible that George shall make a full recovery!" cried Mary joyfully.

Helena became suddenly aware of someone calling her name, and not a moment later there came the patter of feet as Joseph and Louisa appeared in the doorway.

"There is such incredible news to share!" beamed Helena, eager to put an end to their worry. "During our outing to Greenwich, it would seem darling George's fever broke, and so he is likely to recover from this dreadful malady!"

There was the briefest of pauses whilst Joseph and Louisa processed this remarkable turn of events, before they both broke out into exclamations of joy and wonder.

"It is truly miraculous!" gushed Louisa, eagerly peering through Margaret's door so that she might coo with pleasure at the sleeping infant.

Joseph hung back; his apparent unwillingness to leave Helena's side causing her face to colour. Naturally, this did not escape the notice of Mary, who began to look between the pair with an expression of understanding.

With a brief glance up at her husband-to-be, Helena decided there was no time like the present to begin sharing their news. After all, Mary was the first person Helena had ever spoken to of her love for Joseph – was it not only fair, then, for Mary to be one of the first to learn of their engagement?

"It has been rather an eventful day for us," admitted Helena, "for we also have some news to share."

Mary's eyes shone with hope and enthusiasm – and in that moment, Helena felt terribly ashamed at herself for once turning her nose up at this woman who she had since come to view as a valued friend. This journey to London had taught Helena many things – the most important of all being that she could not imagine going back to the dull monotony that was her life before the day Mary appeared at Alverton Hall.

"Joseph and I are to be married," said Helena bashfully, smiling up at her betrothed with glowing cheeks. As if to affirm her declaration, Joseph briefly enclosed her palm within his, with a smile just as wide as Helena's own.

Mary's reaction, as ever, caught Helena completely by surprise.

"At long last!" she exclaimed, before throwing her arms wide and enveloping both Helena and Joseph in a peculiar sort of embrace.

At one time, Helena would have instinctively recoiled from this unconventional display of affection – but to her surprise, she found herself willingly returning Mary's embrace.

"I believe we have much cause for celebration this evening!" smiled Louisa, who had concluded her cooing over baby George. "I shall inform the kitchen staff that we require a sumptuous feast to dine on!"

With that, Louisa bustled off towards the staircase, burbling happily about her adoration for young children. The celebratory atmosphere in the house was contagious; after such a lengthy period of difficulty for many members of the household, Helena felt there was nothing more they deserved than an evening of carefree enjoyment.

***

The joyful atmosphere at Grosvenor Square persisted long after their first celebratory dinner, in which a shaken Margaret joined them at the table for the first time since George's illness. Louisa cancelled all her engagements for the following week, professing a firm desire to spend time with family and guests, and a week of great enjoyment and entertainment was passed by all.

Everyone was much relieved to see Margaret gently returning to her true self. Although still suffering after her dreadful ordeal, and rather reluctant to leave George's side, Mary had coaxed her into taking the occasional turn about the Grosvenor Square gardens, which had improved her spirits a great deal. At only eighteen years of age, Helena truly hoped Margaret would in time recover from this traumatic experience.

As for Helena herself, there was much enjoyment to be had in trawling through the array of volumes on offer in Lord Eldham's library. The collection included several modern books which were more easily acquired in London, including a charming novel called Emma which Helena had found herself completely immersed in, spending many an afternoon reading in comfortable luxury and solitude.

There was but one cloud on the horizon, preventing Helena from completely enjoying her time at Grosvenor Square. No matter how lost she became in her novel, or how merry Joseph's constant displays of affection made her, Helena's father was never far from her thoughts – and to think of him was to succumb to misery.

It had now been a full month since she departed Alverton without a word of farewell; the longest she had ever spent away from her home. What sort of state would she discover Lord Alverton in upon eventually returning there? Had Sir Edmund remained to care for him in Helena's stead? Her stomach squirmed with guilt at the thought of Lord Alverton's noble heir performing Helena's own duties.

What caused Helena the most severe guilt, however, was realising how much she had relished this opportunity for independence. Although Lord Alverton had only ever wanted the best for Helena, it could not escape her notice that his desire for her to marry prosperously had been largely responsible for preventing a union between Joseph and herself. It had only been upon venturing away from Lord Alverton's influence that Helena had found the courage to truly pursue what her heart desired.

Lord Alverton would disapprove of the match – of that there was no doubt. In fact, Helena had so utterly and completely disgraced him in such a multitude of ways that she should not be surprised if he were never to welcome her within Alverton Hall again. It broke Helena's heart to wonder what her mother would think of her wilful disobedience – how could she have neglected her father's wishes in such a way? How could she ever put things right between them?

Helena was to be forced to come face-to-face with these matters far sooner than expected – for one morning, a week after George's fever first broke, there came a letter from Alverton Hall.

The typical leisurely breakfast of rolls, cakes, tea and coffee had just concluded when the arrival of the post was announced. Helena, hardly expecting a letter, was making her way upstairs to the library when Louisa called her back, declaring there was something for her.

"I cannot think who would be writing to me," she murmured, taking the envelope from Louisa's outstretched hand. Retreating to her bedchamber, Helena settled down at her writing desk, breaking the seal upon the back of the envelope and unfolding it to reveal a neat, precise script quite her father's erratic swirls.

With interest, Helena read on.

Dear Lady Helena,

I hope not to give you any false inclinations in writing to you in such a manner. Please know that the decision to write at all was not taken without much agonising over the propriety of such a gesture. Yet as you left without providing any indication of your expected return to Alverton, I found myself with no choice but to write and ask that you return immediately due to a matter of great urgency and importance.

It is fortunate that I remained to care for Lord Alverton, for I cannot imagine the shock it would have caused him to be faced alone with a man by the name of Mr Roach who arrived on our doorstep this morning, making all manner of dreadful claims about your guest, Miss Thorpe, who has no doubt accompanied you on whatever ill-considered scheme took you to London.

I would not wish to bestow any fear upon you of an unwelcoming reception at Alverton Hall; although vexed at your going without a word of your intentions, Lord Alverton is most anxious for your return, and deeply concerned for your wellbeing. I, too, am most eager to see both you and Miss Thorpe returned to Alverton unharmed. Disinclined as I am to believe Mr Roach's version of your motive for disappearing to London, I await your explanation for what has transpired...

Nay, I have tarried far too long! I beg you forgive me for my disjointed writing; yet I am quite wild with impatience to have you home, so that you may alleviate my anxiety, in addition to your father's, and put an end to my increasingly horrific thoughts of the vulnerable position you have placed yourself and Miss Thorpe in. All your father and I wish is to see you well, and unharmed – all we ask is that you return to us, where you belong.

I must implore you to write immediately upon receiving this letter, informing me when we might expect your return. I shall wish you a swift journey, then, and await the arrival of your carriage at the gates of Alverton Hall.

Your devoted cousin,

Sir Edmund Wills, Bt

With a shaking hand, Helena laid the paper down on her writing desk, her other hand grasping desperately for her handkerchief. From her fourth-floor window, she was offered an uninterrupted view of Mary and Margaret strolling about Grosvenor Square gardens in the dappled sunlight without a care in the world; a sight which, knowing what she now did, made her want to dissolve into a fit of tears.

Oh, how Helena wished for just one more moment of blissful ignorance! How she longed to return to the moment before she had read Sir Edmund's letter! For, now the words had been seen, Helena could no longer exist in this alternate life of perfect, carefree happiness.

Helena, Mary and Margaret had all fled their true lives; but life had inevitably caught up. Each of them had always been aware there would be consequences for their actions – and now, finally, the time had come to face them.

----------

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed this rollercoaster of a chapter! Just when we began to relax, suddenly Mr Roach pops up to cause more trouble - typical. I'm really excited to finally bring him in to the story though - I feel like he's been a black cloud hovering over all the characters until now!

Any predictions about what might happen next? Let me know what you think, and don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter! :)

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

2.4K 213 32
[IMPORTANT: This is a closed-door romance story that caters to readers who are uncomfortable reading heavy erotica and adult scenes.] Miss Mina Haswe...
122K 5.6K 23
Ranked #12 in girlxgirl |03/23/20| Ranked #6 in Updates |08/20/20| Ranked #2 in kingsandqueens |3/20/22| Trapped inside castle walls, heiress Aless...
197K 10K 21
The gowns, the dinners, the dashing young gentlemen ... every young lady dreams of experiencing a taste of life amongst the nobility. For Catherine T...
986K 46.4K 48
In hiding as a maid, Princess Adelaide must resist the charms of the devilishly handsome Duke of Kingfield. But could he help her if she told him her...