The Cost of Love

By seaofgold

"I used to always talk about escaping this place. Always thinking about it, always dreaming about it. I would... More

The Cost of Love
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 31

261 8 2
By seaofgold

:(. that is all

Picture of Connor to quicken your heart rate! 

No song this chapter because it's a short one and I'm honestly in a rush to post this lol

Enjoy! xx

Chapter 31

Connor POV

Kiara skidded to a stop just as all the energy left me, and my back hit the ground. I groaned at the sharp pain the thud brought to my abdomen. She fell to her knees, and I noticed the blood running down her leg from when she was stabbed in wolf form. I almost growled at the thought of that hunter trying to hurt her. I really hope she'll get that checked out, I thought as I noticed some of her blood drip onto the grass. 

"Oh God," she sobbed, shifting my attention away from her leg. I wanted to reach out and move her hair from her face, to run my thumb over the spot of dry blood on her cheek. But all I could do was stare at her and try to memorize every part of her face, every feature. Her grey eyes darted across my body as she pressed her hands on my stomach. The added pressure made me groan again, much to my displeasure. I didn't want her to take her hands off of me, despite the pain. 

"Fuck," I hissed through my teeth to no one in particular. "Fuck, it hurts." I guess I was becoming a little delirious from the pain, because before I knew it I was looking up at her with half lidded eyes. 

Her eyes widened and started to fill with tears, but she blinked them away as fast as they came. I loved when she was strong like this, and I could tell she was trying to be strong for me. I wanted to tell her I loved her. So fucking much. 

She brought her hand up to move my hair away from my sweaty forehead. "Okay," she said, trying to convince herself more than me. "Okay, you're okay, Connor. You're going to be okay. It's going to be fine." 

The snow was falling around her, falling into her hair and long eyelashes. I couldn't really focus on anything except for her, so everything else just looked like a hazy, white glow. 

"You're so beautiful," I murmured. She really did look like an angel in that moment. I guess I had started to fall asleep or something, because she moved her hand to my face and forced me to look her in the eyes. 

"Don't you dare do that, Connor. Don't you dare give up on me!" She was sobbing now, her palm shaking on my face. I didn't want to make her cry, but I could already feel the paralysis starting to take over. I knew I was done for, and she knew it too. She started to scream again, this time for help. "Somebody, please! The medics, help him, please! Oh god..." she trailed off into another round of sobs. My heart clenched at the sight of her. I needed to make her okay. I could barely feel the pain anymore, and although the relief was welcomed, I knew I didn't have much time.

I used every ounce of strength I had to lift my hand up and brush my fingers against her jaw. I could feel the poison moving throughout my body, and I fought the urge to groan again. "Listen," I called, but it sounded so weak it was probably nothing more than a whisper. Her head snapped towards me, eyes wide and scared. Her soft hair tickled my face as she brought herself closer so she could hear me. 

"I want you to know that I love you so much. And that you're going to be okay," I continued. She started to interrupt, to tell me that I was giving up or something, but she needed to hear this. "You're going to be okay, Kiara. You're okay," I said huskily. Yeah, I was so fucking sad that I wouldn't be able to live our life together. But she could live without me. I'd seen her act so strong today, and I knew that she'd be able to live on and maybe be happy. 

She let out a choked sob that honestly broke my heart. "I need you," she said brokenly. She sounded so miserable in that moment. "Don't fall asleep; don't leave me," she begged. 

I could hear commotion going on around us, but I couldn't focus on anything else besides Kiara. My mate. Even if I wasn't going to make it, being able to meet her and love her for as long as I had was worth it for me. 

"I won't ever leave you," I said, my voice growing huskier. It was getting to be too much to keep talking. "I'll always be in love with you." 

I had meant to console her, but I was pretty sure all I did was make her cry even more. Her whole body was shaking now, in fear or because of the cold weather, I had no idea. She lifted her head up to speak to someone, but I couldn't figure out who it was. I couldn't afford to take my eyes off of her. 

"Connor," she said in that determined voice I loved. 

"Hmm," I responded sleepily. Was it weird that I was sort of turned on by her right now? 

"The medics are going to transfer you to the ambulance, and you're going to go to the hospital. You just have to hold out until you get there. Can you do that? For me, Connor, please?" 

I felt a flash of pain in my abdomen, so sharp I could've passed out right then. "Kiara, I -" I started, but she cut me off. 

"This is what you've been training for your whole life, Connor," she said, starting to hyperventilate now. "You need to fight! Fight for me. Promise you'll fight for me, please." Tears were trailing down her face as she looked at me with sheer desperation. 

I couldn't say no to her. I couldn't ever say no to her when she looked at me so vulnerably like that. "I promise," I breathed. She actually sagged in relief; she had too much faith in me. 

It took about five minutes to transfer me to the ambulance, but in those five minutes my chest felt like it was on fucking fire. I was barely registering that someone was screaming in pain, and it finally clicked that it was me making those horrible sounds. Kiara was trying her best to keep my mind of the pain as she squeezed my hand in hers, but even I could sense her heart breaking through our bond. She kept brushing my now damp hair out of my eyes, and whenever she did I would immediately stare at her, as if her beauty could somehow make me forget about the pain.

Finally, I wasn't being moved anymore, and I could feel the hum of the ambulance as we started driving away from the pack house. My chest constricted as I felt the poison taking over my body some more. I knew it wouldn't be long before I'd finally pass out from the pain, allowing the poison to shut down each organ before my body wouldn't be able to handle it. 

Strangely, the thought of dying didn't scare me. It was seeing Kiara's broken expression that scared me shitless. I didn't want her to be a mere shell of the person she once was, and the thought that she could be anything but the beautiful, vulnerable, angel she was broke my heart. 

My breathing started to hitch, and I squeezed her hand with everything I had in me. She noticed my fearful expression and shook her head.

"Connor, stay awake. I love you, please, look at me," she said with a shaky voice. She was trying so hard to be strong. I hoped it would last. 

"C'mere," was all I could say, and I hoped that one fucking word conveyed everything I wanted to say to her. I needed to kiss her ever since the first gunshot rang out and she instantly ran to her pack. 

She thankfully got the message, and she brought her head down to meet mine. She brushed her lips against mine, and I used all my strength to kiss her with as much passion as I could muster. It was beginning to become too much for me, with my eyes closed like that. When I found myself drifting away, my head fell back on the stretcher and I realized I couldn't open my eyes again. 

I finally passed out to the sound of Kiara screaming my name in panic. 

__________________________________________

This is probably the most depressing chapter I've ever written omg. What is wrong with me???? 

Had to happen :( 

What do you think will happen next? Will Connor survive the poison? Will Kiara ever be happy again? 

Please don't forget to comment and vote, I miss hearing what you guys think! 

Next chapter should be up soon! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 399 33
(A/N. I DO NOT own any pictures throughput the book, no copy right intended. Will have Explicit content.) Sweet Katherine, A werewolf vampire hybrid...
41.6K 965 18
*Completed* (Previously known as 'Troublesome') "Mine!" I hear a husky voice coming from behind, making shivers run down my spine. I knew exactly who...
1.3M 43.7K 35
My memories always haunt me. And they never cease. They come back when I hear a simple howl at night. I wish they would just disapear, like how I ma...
30.9K 932 27
Holly is a young women who is desperate to find her mate, to find the man who she knew would protect her with his own life. With powerful Alpha blood...