The Tales of Tikum Kadlum

By ReddHumann

A Wattys 2018 Long Lister & recommended by official profiles like: *Wattpad Myth & Legend: (1) Asian Fantas... More

1 ISLAND OF SORCERERS
2 ISLAND OF SORCERERS
3 ISLAND OF SORCERERS
1 AMULET AND TALISMAN
2 AMULET AND TALISMAN
3 AMULET AND TALISMAN
4 AMULET AND TALISMAN
INTERLUDE: BAGANI SAGA 1
2 SNAKE ROADS SLITHERING
3 SNAKE ROADS SLITHERING
4 SNAKE ROADS SLITHERING
1 A FLEETING SLUMBER
2 A FLEETING SLUMBER
3 A FLEETING SLUMBER
4 A FLEETING SLUMBER
5 A FLEETING SLUMBER
1 DEALS WITH DEVILS
2 DEALS WITH DEVILS
3 DEALS WITH DEVILS
4 DEALS WITH DEVILS
5 DEALS WITH DEVILS
6 DEALS WITH DEVILS
7 DEALS WITH DEVILS
INTERLUDE: BAGANI SAGA 2
1 TROUBLE IN TWO
2 TROUBLE IN TWO
3 TROUBLE IN TWO
1 EDGE OF DARKNESS
2 EDGE OF DARKNESS
3 EDGE OF DARKNESS
4 EDGE OF DARKNESS
5 EDGE OF DARKNESS
6 EDGE OF DARKNESS
7 EDGE OF DARKNESS
1 BEYOND ALL FEAR
2 BEYOND ALL FEAR
3 BEYOND ALL FEAR
4 BEYOND ALL FEAR
5 BEYOND ALL FEAR
6 BEYOND ALL FEAR
0 EPILOGUE
AUTHOR'S NOTES
TEASER CHAPTER: HEREJE

1 SNAKE ROADS SLITHERING

255 3 8
By ReddHumann

3.1 LONE DOG AND THE PUP: In which Tikum sees bad omens along the snaking roads of Buglas but ignores them- A warm campfire is shared - And a fight with a fiend arise

In the forest floor, not far from a ruined temple, a predator observed its prey with outmost patience.

The hungry civet cat had been wandering the area near the ruins for a meal for quiet a time when fortune finally smiled. Like most of predator, it began its hunt before the sun started to climb the horizon, and now it was biding its time, well-hidden in a cover of thick cogon grass, waiting for the moment to strike as the sun dove back from whence it came. Its prey, a horned beetle of considerable size, was climbing a leafless branch just above it, pausing every minute or so to clean the sticky sap on its legs, all while the civet cat licked its lips and extended its claws below. It had been days since the civet cat had a worthy meal and this one was actually good eating. Intentional or not, the beetle also seemed to tease the civet cat as it dangled itself on the edge of the branch.

As the winds changed, the clumsy prey noticed the lurking observer and was about to take flight when the predator took its chance. The civet cat lunged in a blur of fur and fangs, snatching the insect off its perch. The beetle struggled, but it was no match for the agile and very hungry civet cat. Using its claws, it pinned it in place, thwarting its feeble escape. Then the predator claimed its victory, munching on the insect heartily. With its hunger abated, the civet cat climbed atop an old carven figure made and abandoned by the very humans who inhabited this area of the deep jungle. The predator sniffed the air, and from it realized that the fine weather would continue, good enough for a few a hours of finding more food. But its search was cut short as a sonorous song of warning filled the cold air.

Alerted by its instincts, the civet cat began to make its escape. It knew of more dangerous predators on the area, and it would not take a chance. After darting between huge blocks of cut stone and debris, it found a dark hole in one of the ruined walls of the forsaken temple. Seeing it as its sanctuary, the civet cat crawled inside, swimming in the shadows to reach the innermost heart of the sanctum. It felt warm inside the hole with all the dried up cogon. Though it was a bit cramped in the entrance with all the dried up bones scattered all over.

Slowly, the civet cat's vigilance waned as it explored the cavern that unfolded before it, sniffing for any familiar scent along the way. The hole was musky and the air was dry inside, but it seemed safer there than out in the open. But unbeknownst to the poor creature, a more formidable fiend was waiting at the heart of darkness. It had been there since the people who built the temple laid the first stones. It was the reason why they left the place to rot.

And now, it was ready to hunt again.

The abomination from the shadows made itself known as it slithered behind the cowering civet cat, lurching above the puny creature in an almost hypnotic sway. The civet cat bared its sharp teeth against the fiend, but it did not know where to strike in the darkness. Sensing its fear, the scaled-monster sang a most sibilant song, ghostly and unnerving- paralyzing its victim in place. The last thing the civet cat saw before its demise were great slitted eyes, hanging in the darkness like yellow ghostly orbs. It was followed by the flash of venom-laden fangs sinking on soft fur.

***

On the year of the Timid Tamaraw, on the month of the Tilted Tarsier and on the day of the Tongueless Toad, Ukok and Tikum's journey on the road home began. But the path was fraught with peril and they would soon find out that the manghihiwit stalking their steps was only one of the many things to worry about in Buglas.

"Would you tell me more stories about home... about Ananipay?"

"Can't you see I'm busy, Ukok?" Tikum said, holding her head down so the staff of light would hit it straight on. Ukok had been asking him about the Ati people after they chance upon one a few days ago. It was an old man travelling towards the coast. They did little chatting though after what happened with the asog. But Tikum did as passersby do, he acknowledged the man using the little inati he knew. Their dialect was hard even for a well-travelled man like Tikum, but a few words sufficed to avoid any trouble.

Seeing an ati folk for the first time, Ukok had been pestering her father about them over and over again.

"Please, bapa!" the child said as she turned towards her father. She screamed the words again, pouting in front of Tikum.

"Hey, didn't I tell that it's rude to scream at people?"

Ukok nodded, brows furrowed. "Please?"

"Okay... Okay," Tikum sighed, leaning on the tree trunk.

He's back was a bit numbed from sitting on the roots for so long. But seeing his work progress and the bright smile on Ukok's face, encouraged him on. Honestly, moments like this made his day. He would give half of his life away just to see her daughter's smile all the time.

Tikum cleared his throat. "So yeah, Ma... was from Zubu, but I was born in Ananipay like my father before me."

"Now, tell me about the ati tribu in Ananipay!"

"Okay... okay, the ati people," he said. "What about the ati? What haven't I told you about them?" Tikum took a few seconds to think, parsing through his past. There was a lot of things to talk about those people's culture, but if he wanted to entertain his daughter, he had to choose the most interesting ones. Better to stick on the basics then.

"Well, for starters, they're a secretive bunch. And I could count in one hand the times I encountered any of them. Scarce and mysterious folks, they live in the lowlands at the southern part of the island- smack in the middle of the jungle. Some say, spirits and deities still live in that green maze. I've been there once, when I was a bit older than you are now. One of our village elder thought it would be a good idea to start our initiation there. The fool was quickly proven wrong, the place is not for children. Even seasoned hunters avoid it still. Most places of power are usually not somewhere you want to explore, mongrel. Short story is, I was lost for days and days there and it was not a pleasant experience. Best to avoid places like those." Tikum made a face. "Only half of us returned home. On a lighter note, my tribe lived in the highlands near a great river. I used to swim there, Ukok. Swam before the sun rose and swam after the moon and the darkness came." Just thinking of it made him smile. "Ananipay is a wonderful place. Some of my oldest friends are still there. You're granny will be waiting for you there, Ukok. I'm sure you'd love her. She has better stories about the ati tribu too."

The child nodded, a smile edging his lips.

"You'd enjoy it Ananipay, Ukok. Especially, when the ilang-ilang bloom and the song-birds start arriving. You know what? If we arrive earlier, we might even hear some of their songs. Sometimes the umalohokan play his horn shell as the birds sing. And, harvest time is the best time to visit. And the food-"

"I wanna know more about the ati!"

"Sure, I guess we'll do it your way," Tikum said as he cut the last strand of hair on Ukok's head. "But let me finish this first."

"Yes!" Ukok smiled.

"There we go," Tikum said, satisfied of his own handiwork. He then brushed off the hairs from his daughter's shoulders, exhaling deeply. "That'll keep the lice away for now."

Tikum took his dagger and sheathed it on his back, hiding it behind his black bahag. Then, he took a bamboo canteen from the canvas sack that contained their meager belongings.

"The story!" Ukok said, turning towards his father and taking the bamboo canteen he offered. She drank from it, wiping her mouth with her grubby hand.

"But I already told you about them before," he gave him a playful smile. "Did you forget?"

Ukok crossed her arms and narrowed her brows.

Tikum gave out a hearty laugh, seeing her try to pout again. "Okay. Let me tell it again before that face becomes permanent."

He sighed. "Well, the ati people lived in a place called Simsiman, at the southernmost tip of Ananipay, where trees grow so high they reached the skies. Before that, some of them had settled here in Buglas a long long time ago. From what I heard, they were already here well before the first settlers from the Old Kingdom from Kalimantan arrived. Come to think of it, settled is not really the right word, since those folks tend to wander a lot as nomads do."

"What do they look like, bapa?" Ukok said, scratching her bare and coarse head.

"Hmmm, well, their skin were as black as obsidian." Tikum leaned to pick her up, placing her on his lap. "But you already know that."

Ukok nodded. "Why?"

Tikum smiled. "Perhaps, to make it easy for them to hunt in the night. They were short folks too, well most of those I met were. And that made it easier for them to run their prey down. And with teeth white and strong, they could probably end a man's life with one bite!" He bared all of his teeth, startling Ukok. "And do you know what they ate?"

"Ummm..." Ukok placed both hands on her mouth, eyes wide and face full of dread. "What?" she whispered.

Tikum shook Ukok. "Kids... like you!"

Ukok gave another startled cry as she covered her face with both hands.

"Just kidding you little mongrel," Tikum said, hugging her daughter as tight as he could. "The atis are mostly great folks, Ukok. Those I befriended were hard-working folks. It's just that people painted them in uglier ways because we thought it would be easy that way. Easy to treat them less and easier to enslave them. You see Ukok, wrong things are convenient when guilt is not involved. Those slavers had something more to gain in making the ati look bad and so, they did it over and over until their lies spread and the fools ate it up and it became the truth for them. A twisted truth. All you have to know is they were wrong."

"But you did fought them, right? You told me when you drank all of that arak. You were acting so funny back then-"

Tikum sighed, shaking his head. He shouldn't have been drinking, but what was he to do with all of that left-over liquor? Anyone can call him all the nasty names they could, but a wasteful man, he was not. He cleared his throat, missing the sweet and tangy taste of that specific arak.

"Yes, there was a time before the first Kenadatuan rebellion in Madia-as when we had some skirmishes with them, but that time is long gone. And it ain't happening again."

"Really, bapa?"

"Well, I hope so. Tribal wars are not the kind of hobby I'll try any time soon."

"What do you mean?"

"When you grow up you'll understand the futility of it all..."

"Hmmm? When will that be? I want to grow up now!"

"No. Don't grow up yet."

"But... but I want to help you fight the bad people."

"Bad? I'm not sure anymore if that's even a thing-" Tikum sighed. "And fights aren't as simple as you think. You see, in most battles it's not the best kampilan masters, nor the most famous bagani that takes the victory. Far from the truth! It's usually the cunning ones that win. And those lot are not exactly the pleasant kind. They're not exactly shy at doing the more questionable things too." He tasted the sharp and bitter taste of irony on the tip of his tongue and stopped himself. "I'm really not good at these kind of talk, Ukok. Tell you what, when we reach Anananipay, you could ask this again to your gran. Let's talk about something else."

"But the ati are brave, right?"

"Basing on the chants and songs about them, they're one of the bravest. But the brave have no place in wars that some of our folks wage." He lowered his voice. "Thinking about it, the ones willing to risk their life and other's lives to get what they want were usually just glory-hounds. Filth. Scums." He paused, pondering about what he said. "You could say, bravery is something else-"

"Huh?"

Tikum laughed at Ukok's reaction. "The ati bleed courage, little mongrel. That's what the chanters say. True courage. I guess it's because they fight to live. They don't do it for petty things. They're the bravest that way." He stopped himself again. "And that didn't really helped them," he half-whispered.

"Are you like them, bapa?" Ukok said. "Are you brave, too?"

Tikum made a face as he slung the sack behind him and started back to the clearing, carrying Ukok on his arm. "I don't know about that... Only the devatas can tell if I am, mongrel. If I will be." He sighed. "To tell you the truth, I prefer being alive than being courageous. More practical that way."

"Bapa..."

"Yes?"

"I'm glad they're our friends now."

"Me too. Good thing our datu struck an alliance with the ati people early on," he said, adjusting the agimat on Ukok's neck. "And I'm quite sure it's there to stay."

"So, they don't really cook and eat people?"

"Of course, not! That's just absurd. All from a fool's tongue! Blatant lies!"

Ukok gave out a sigh of relief, making the Black Dog snigger. "They like things fresh like the head-hunters from Lusong." He winked at his daughter.

She narrowed her brows as she crossed her arms, but this failed to intimidate Tikum, who himself, settled for a chuckle behind cupped hands.

"I'm just joking. They're just like all of us, little mongrel. There are ones who choose good and ones who choose bad. Just show them respect and they'll show it back in return. I think that's generally a good rule to follow."

Ukok nodded.

Tikum smiled. "And decent people, no matter what race they belong to, usually like to be treated right. Well, at least that was my ma told me. But from experience, showing a little bit of understanding goes a long way too. Well, most of the time. Keeping to yourself helps a lot as well. Less things say and ruin. That's what your granny used to tell me. Of course, she's never wrong."

"And the people who choose bad? You said to keep away from them. Why... why is that, bapa?"

"Well, of course you should. You know, there are people out there that you just can't reason with. There's a lot of them too- people who would readily destroy. People who choose destruction just to validate their misguided beliefs. I'm not one to say, since I'm not exactly good at making good decisions, but there are monsters out there and you must never forget that Ukok because some look like you and me." He let it sink in. "So, if you can avoid them, then do it. Better run and live another day than say hello to death unprepared, mongrel. At times, running, for me was a lot better than bravery." He laughed. "All results considered."

"But what if they come for us instead? How can I know they're the kind of people who choose bad things?"

"Hmmm... that's why you shouldn't trust people in haste. Another good rule to follow, Ukok. Folks, more often than not, will lie to you outright, especially if your stupid enough. Especially if their minds are clouded-"

She furrowed her face. "What if we can't run away, bapa?"

"Well, that's another reason why you have to learn the art of the blade as early as you can. You can't just run every time, Ukok. Or be as understanding all the time. You can only do those things for so long."

Ukok nodded, a bit doubtful of her own father's pithy wisdom.

***

As the father and daughter went on their journey home, they opted to avoid people and towns, in general. For weeks, they travelled using the same path the carabao trading caravans used to traverse the deep jungles of Buglas, not even daring to stop longer than a day. On some nights when the moon was at its fullest, they would resume their walk on the winding foot trails. Tikum did not like idleness and the thought of Amburakay or anyone else trailing them were enough to justify his choice. As they trekked on through the wild frontiers, Tikum hunted for their meal. On some days, when the gods and luck was on his side he would catch a good size deer, a wild goat, or even a boar, giving them a chance to feast like datus. While on lean days, the two settled for digging kalaroton or wild root crops on the side of the snaking roads that lead to the northern towns of Buglas. And on days when things get a little tougher for finding any provisions, they resorted to drinking water. Lots and lots of it.

Tikum didn't like it when those days came, but he always made sure to fill their bamboo canteens from the many watering holes. It was better than nothing after all. And if he was in a better mood, he would pray for Devata Makabosog, so the deity of abundance can provide him opportunities to find better food and provisions for the days to come.

It was one of those lean stretches, on a sweltering day, when Tikum finally decided to slow their pace down. He knew that too much exertion would only put them on a dangerous path. They would be easier prey for the more nefarious lot that frequented Buglas' roads. So, the Black Dog opted to trek underneath the shadows of the forest canopy instead of the exposed trail. They would be slower but at least he could take a rest in the shade.

"Ah, I think my foot's gonna fall off," he said as they pushed through the tall cogon grass, leaving the road behind them.

"Bapa, where're we going?" Ukok said following his trail.

"We'll continue our way north later. But for now, we need our strengths back."

"Are you sure this is the way back to Ananipay?"

"Of course, mongrel. I have my map right here." Tikum pointed a finger at his head. "If we follow this path we'll get there before the monsoon arrive. So, don't worry."

"Bapa, why are we leaving the trail?"

"Being out in the open here is not a good thing."

"Huh?" Ukok said, pausing behind his father. "Why is that?"

"Folks here on Ulay don't have a grain of sense or tolerance. Especially, towards strangers," Tikum said, settling on the side of a mango tree. "Here, drink this." He gave his bamboo canteen to his daughter.

Ukok took it and drank a mouthful. "How long do we need to go?"

"Can't really tell yet," he said, taking the canteen from Ukok and wiping her mouth dry. "If my friend pass through these trails we could probably hitch a ride on his caravan. He trades with lots of interesting things that you'll sure be in awe. He's a good man too, kept me out of trouble a couple of times when I was in Sarijayha. If we don't find him, then we'll have to walk. But, from the looks of it the trails here aren't trodden that much. So, there's a big chance he's still south." He placed his arm behind his head. "So, we'll have to wait. And while we wait we might as well doze off a little bit."

"Huh?"

"That means you stay put, okay?"

"But I'm not sleepy. Can I-"

"Sit and behave? Yes, of course you could. Actually, that's the most ideal thing to do right now."

"But-"

"Sit down and rest, Ukok. Bapa's been up all night watching out for you. I've been walking for miles since the rooster crawed. Just let me close my eyes rest for a bit-"

His daughter obliged, pouting her lips and crossing her arms. "But I want to play. Can I play?"

"Urgh. If you stay put I'll tell you about the Ma-aram elders of Ananipay next. Deal?" He waited for her daughter's nod before dozing off to dream dreams of illusory futures and dreadful nightmares of the past.

And yes, Ukok did nod to Tikum but as soon as his father's eyes were closed and as soon as he was on his way to the realm of Dream to meet the devata, Damgo, she was gone.

Ukok quickly made her way through the cogon grass and back to the road to see what lay ahead. She knew something was waiting for her just around the corner. Something exciting, perhaps? Well, one thing's for sure. She was going to find out for herself. She went on for a couple of yards but returned back to the safety of the thick cogon grass as soon as she saw the giant withered tree at the midst of the crossroad.

A flock of ravens silently perched on its spindly branches, watching the curious scene below with black beady eyes.

"Hold the noose, Birang," said the short, funny looking man with a humpy back. "Hold it while I tighten this."

"What do you think I'm doing?" the lanky man named Birang said to his cohort, Dumot, as his gangly hands pulled the end of the noose taut. He gave it another tug to make sure it was set on the highest limb of the hanging tree. Satisfied, he tied its end on one of the twisted roots on the ground.

Dumot the hunchback whispered a snide comment back at Birang, pulling the loop of the noose with him. He tiptoed his way up the stool where the shackled woman dressed only with a bark skirt stood. He then secured the noose on her neck as tight as he possibly could, making sure her kinky black hair didn't get in the way. "Thought you were gonna be as feisty as before," Dumot whispered to her ears. "I didn't know mangbabarangs got scared."

The dark-skinned woman hissed like a cornered she-cat, furrowing her brows and baring all her teeth at the hunchback. "You're way over your heads!" she said. "If I were a sorceress I won't be in this position. Have some sense in your thick heads!"

The hunchback only sneered as he moved his face inches from her, fork-like tongue eager to have a taste of the woman's flawless skin. She turned away and shielded herself from Dumot's advances.

"Get your filthy face away from me!"

Dumot sniggered as it only fueled the deformed man's dark desires even more. "Here... here, give this lips a kiss before we string you like an upside down kite," he said, grabbing her by the chin. "Come on."

"Enough!" the old, bald, bearded man who stood a few feet from the tree said.

"Let's get it over with, Dumot. The Toad King wants this finished as soon as we can. And we will do what our benefactor demands us. Do you hear me?"

Dumot scowled back at him but stayed silent.

"You got that look again," the bearded man said to his underling, both hands hooked on the leather belt that girdled his tampi. As the bald, bearded man walked, the crocodile-pommeled kampilan on his side swung up and down. "Tell you what, one more of that and I'll cut a piece of you off." He eyed the hunchback with distaste, waiting for him to finally take his club against him. But his underling settled for silence instead.

"You of all people should know that folks like her are tainted," he said to Dumot. "Do you want the taint of a buruhisan?"

Dumot shook his head and shambled away from the ati woman to join Birang, avoiding his master's baleful eyes.

"I'm not what you think I am!" the ati screamed.

"Probably... but who could really tell?" the old bearded man said as he stood in front of the woman who was struggling to balance herself on the stool. "Ah, before I give you the kick and send you back to depths of Sulad, honor dictates that I at least introduce my name to you. I'm-"

"I don't care you pitiful ruffians!" The woman snarled. "All I know is that you're wrong. I don't know any magic at all. I'm not a buruhisan! So, end this superstition of yours. End this before people get hurt."

"And leave the hefty bounty on your head? No way! Not a chance-"

The ati spat, hitting the bearded man straight on his bald forehead.

"That's just uncalled for," he said, wiping the spittle off. He took a step and struck her with an open palm on the cheek, snapping her head back.

"Next time you should let me finish, okay?" he said. "Again, my name's Silotan, and this my beautiful maiden, is your end."

He raised his foot and was about to kick the stool under the woman's feet when a loud cry cut him off. All three men turned their heads at the direction were the scream came and saw a bald little girl dressed in black malong in the midst of the tall cogon grass.

"Ooops," Ukok said, taking a step back as the hunchback, the gangly man and their bald, bearded leader approached her.

Silotan smiled. "Are you lost... little girl?"

Ukok shook her head, wary of the people closing in on her. She wanted to run but fear had frozen her still. "Bapa!?" she said, eyes full of terror, lips trembling in despair. "Bapa!?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 345 42
Fire and Ice. Flames will run wild. Ice will always stay together. With war on the horizon for two new Queens can they handle the conflict? Queen Ser...
4.1K 318 46
Welcome to Peramis, a world filled to the brim with magical wonders. Yet, the majority of humans live their lives in complete ignorance of the so cal...
5.2K 114 16
Lex and Presley have been friends since they were 5 but their feelings towards eachother start to change once they start a new school
27.2K 1.2K 19
"Go and meet your bride, son. She is waiting in my room. She is on fire." Di said smiling and I sighed smiling while all just laughed. "The time I t...