Regal [h.s au]

By roundcats

When a young prince is obliged to leave his castle in order to learn how to rule his kingdom properly, he rea... More

REGAL
01. Adventure
02. Little thief
03. Attack
04. Raiders
05. Personal guide
06. Maid
07. King Edgrrr
08. Memories
09. Stalker
10. Bring it on
11. The art of hugging
12. Flower scent
13. Freedom
14. Female dark magic
15. Hand of the King
16. No future
17. Royal sandwich
19. Dead men tell no tales
20. Cake-tastrophy
21. Ball invitation
22. Marriage hunt
23. A deal is a deal
24. Game on
25. Intimacy
26. Flower prince
27. Manners
28. Secret
29. Miss Cortez
30. I promise
31. Duty
32. Together
33. Goodbye
34. Marriage
35. Protect him
36. Journey
37. Need
38. Our light
39. Come back
40. Hold on
41. Revelation
42. Innocence
43. New commander
44. Pain
45. Polar opposite
46. Hard liquor
47. Blame
48. Reunion
49. Revenge
50. Arrival
51. Different people
52. Angel
53. By your side
54. Jealousy
55. My queen
56. Practice
57. Prince in distress
58. Home
59. Empire
60. One day
Epilogue

18. Hero

7.3K 303 122
By roundcats

HARRY

I attempt to hide my trembling hands by intertwining my fingers on top of the desk in the great hall, King Edgar and his son, along with my father and a handful of advisers seated with me. I clear my throat nervously as they all stare at me, the only ones making this easier for me being my father who smiles at me supportively, Adrian who winks and gives me a thumbs up, and Joe who lifts his goblet of wine at me when I look at him.

"I shall just get straight to the point. The reason you are here today is my wish to contribute to both kingdoms and help the people who have no ruler to provide them protection. I believe uniting The Border; or Frontera, as the locals call it; with Solis would be the best option in order to fulfil that wish," I say in an even voice, making eye contact with everyone.

"Wait a minute, I fail to see how does you getting a new land contribute me?" King Edgar flatly asks, fingertips of his left hand tapping on the surface of the desk as he sits leant back in his chair.

"There wouldn't be a large gap between the kingdoms and we would be connected better than before. We are family after all," my father says.

"True," Adrian mutters, earning a look from his father.

"Then you wouldn't mind if I humbly suggest The Border unites with my kingdom?" King Edgar muses, a small smirk on his face.

"Then why not ask claim before? Why now when I clearly want the same?" I inquire, my eyebrows drawing together in a frown. This meeting has barely begun and he is already trying to turn things into his favour; I definitely wasn't expecting this.

"Because our father wanted the area to stay as a clear separation considering my big brother and I had a few... disagreements in the past," he replies, glancing at my father. "But now that you are suggesting it, I might as well offer myself as the ruler. Solis has a bigger territory already, even if I had that piece of land it would still be larger than mine. It is only fair."

"I think you don't understand the objective, I am doing this because I want to shelter the people living there and give them better lives, not to expand the borders of this kingdom," I explain, a forced smile on my face as I begin shaking my knee nervously.

"Good point," Adrian quips once again, wagging a finger at me with a smile while holding a drink in his other hand. One would think he would take his father's side in this discussion, but I'm glad he didn't. 

"I could provide them protection just as easily as you could," King Edgar immediately offers. "If that is your only wish, it matters not who fulfils it."

"Yes, but I also have a promise to fulfil..." I mumble and look at my father, silently asking him for help. I promised Amelia her homeland would fall under my claim, I cannot break it, especially since she is quite reserved and sceptical when it comes to my uncle.

"And why the sudden interest, brother?" My father demands as he straightens in his chair, a picture of authority. "All you had to do today was say yes so all the legal parts of our proposition would be satisfied, not turn this into an argument. My son has kindly offered something that benefits both of us, do consider it again."

"And I have kindly offered him another solution, matching the one he has suggested, but with a slight twist. I get the land officially, not you," he presses, obviously not planning to back away from this.

"But you would also get a lot of problems to deal with, such as pirates and smugglers, raiders lurking around The Border and with uniting it with your kingdom they could easily expand their illegal business there," I reason.

"You know, he has a point-" Adrian starts with a raise of his pointer finger, but a glare from his father interrupts him, making him lift his hands in surrender.

"Nothing I wouldn't be able to handle." When a challenging smile appears on King Edgar's face, I realise this is going to be a tough argument to win.

👑👑👑

To say Amelia is upset would be an understatement. I have recently discovered she is not one of those explosive people when she gets mad, she is quite the opposite.  She chooses to sulk quietly with a dangerous aura around her and anyone who approaches her cowers back under the wrath of her glare.  And if someone attempts to touch her, they get smacked; Silas felt it on his own skin when he did just that while she was in the heat of the moment.

"Told you you're going to get smacked, idiot," Zayn tells his brother in a hushed tone.

Silas scowls at him. "Do you want to get smacked too-"

"Happy thoughts, happy thoughts..." Lilly mumbles, placing her hands on their shoulders, smiling sweetly as they both slowly relax, but keeping frowns on their faces.

The four of us are standing aside in Amelia's chambers, watching as she keeps gazing out of the window with a thoughtful look on her face. "So King Edgar now rules my homeland," Amelia finally speaks, turning her head to look at us. "And I suppose his first declaration as the new King is to chase away the raiders and give money to all the people struggling there. And his soldiers -the same soldiers who have been destroying the villages- are going to patrol around and offer them safety. Wonderful."

Her tone is so calm it makes me shiver, an uncomfortable feeling settling inside me. Clearing my throat, I nod weakly. "Sounds about right."

"I better skedaddle, she's about to explode," Silas mutters as he takes a step back. "Where is my protection spells book?"

Zayn rolls his eyes and walks up to her, placing his hand on her shoulder. Bringing his lips close to her ear, he tells her something quietly, almost instantly making her relax, her shoulders slumping a little. He continues talking to her, her eyes casting down as she nods a few times, even getting a hug from him which is a big thing since Zayn is not really comfortable around other people.

"Yay, he added a hug, he took my advice!" Lilly happily says with a soft smile then glances at me, probably noticing my confused look. "Zayn may be shy and seem like he is angry most of the time, but he is actually a calm and collected person and he always manages to calm her down."

"Oh, so they're- they're really close, huh?" I chuckle nervously and Lilly nods in confirmation. "Alright, I need you all to leave now, I must speak to Amelia urgently. Zayn, step away."

I force a smile when Zayn's honey eyes glance at me in slight confusion, whispering a few more words to Amelia. She flicks the tip of his nose in a playful manner before all three of them head out of her chambers, my gaze carefully tracking Zayn. When the doors close, I make sure to lock them, remembering my promise to Amelia about keeping everything between us discreet.

"Amelia, I want to give you my apology, please don't be cross with me," I speak and reluctantly step towards her. "I am sorry for breaking my promise, but I tried, I really tried. My uncle was unrelenting and my father ended up giving the land to him. I would never have agreed to it, but I had no choice nor arguments left in the end and-"

"Your Highness." Amelia lifts her hand to interrupt me. "I know you tried, it isn't your fault. This situation deeply upsets me and saddens me though, that's why I'm like this."

My face falls at her words and I take a step forward. "But I don't want you to be like this... I promise I shall make sure my guards are checking The Border all the time and still protecting it despite its new status."

"It wasn't your duty to worry about the province to begin with and I basically made you fight for the land, I inflicted a sense of guilt to you when the situation wasn't your fault. This is actually my fault." Her palm covers her forehead, eyes shutting in anger.

"What you did was open my eyes and I made a choice to help you, please don't blame yourself."

"How can I not? If I wasn't so keen on keeping my home safe in any way I could, at least they wouldn't fall under the reign of that tyrannous-" she cuts herself off when she looks at me.

"I know you are angry, Amelia, but this is my family you are talking about. King Edgar may be a lot of things, but he is no tyrant and I would appreciate you pay him respect, especially since he is your King now," I reprimand her, holding my chin high.

Her brown eyes blaze with anger at my last words. "He is not my King nor he ever will be! I find it funny how you said I think I know everything when you are exactly the same. What do you know about the real world, your Highness? You are only in the process of learning and one of my biggest tasks is to help you learn how to make right decisions and how to rule. In order for me to do that, you must open your eyes and get out of that shell of innocence you live in!"

A flash of hurt courses through me, defensive frown forming on my face. "Sometimes I forget you are my subject and I believe you forget I am your Prince. I tolerate a lot of things you say and do Amelia, a lot of things someone else would punish you for. Perhaps I was wrong to take that approach with you."

"I am sorry if my words hurt you, your Highness, I just want you to see," Amelia says softly, approaching me. "I want to speak with you about something because I believe it is time for you to find out the truth, but in order for me to do that, we must go to Frontera. The last time I showed you the truth to see with your own eyes, you helped me."

My eyebrows raise in surprise as I take a few moments to ponder her words. "All right then, so be it. We leave the day after tomorrow at dawn. I need to talk to my parents."

I gulp as my hands seem to have a mind of their own as they clasp her soft cheeks gently, my head lowering to leave a kiss on her lips before I change my mind, kissing her forehead instead. Without another word, I take a step back and leave her room, undeniably worried and nervous about what's to come.

👑👑👑

I pace back and forth in the woods near the tree line, my hands behind my back, head hanging low. Star is drinking from a creek flowing nearby, occasionally stopping to glance at me before returning to her actions. The sun has almost risen completely, dispersing the darkness, allowing me to see my castle standing proudly miles from here. Every now and then I stop to listen to anything that might indicate Amelia's arrival, but each time silence greets me.

What if she's changed her mind? Was I too harsh with her? What if perhaps what she was saying is the truth? I groan as all those questions spiral through my head, my fingertips massaging my closed eyes. 

When I feel a hand on my shoulder, I jump up in fright, my other instinct being to shriek before I'm turned around, the same hand clamping my mouth. My back is pressed against a tree as my eyes lock with the familiar pair of deep brown ones, Amelia's finger pressed over her lips, showing me to stay quiet. "Easy there, flower prince, you don't want to attract every single wild animal, now do you?" 

I pout a little before my shoulders slump in relaxation, making her remove her hand and me to straighten my posture, smoothening the creases on my jacket. "How can you move so soundlessly? And next time, a vocal warning would be nice or my heart might give out."

"Like I would allow that to happen," she says, fixing the hood of her crimson cloak.

"What, you would command my heart not to stop?" I inquire, amused.

"If I have to in order to protect you." She smiles.

I smile as well, but it fades as soon as I remember the reason we are here, a sigh leaving my mouth. "Let us leave at once, we-"

"Hello! I know, I would be delighted to see me too," Silas cheerfully says as he emerges from the trees on top of his horse along with Zayn and Lillian on his sides, both of them sitting on their horses.

Amelia grins and looks at me. "My family goes where I go."

"Also, I need new supplies, my medical potions have been selling like crazy," Silas says, smiling. "You can call me Silas the physician."

"No thank you, I prefer idiot," Zayn remarks, making Silas scowl and attempt to smack him, almost falling off his horse in the process.

"Where is your watch dog?" Silas directs his gaze at me. "I hardly believe he would leave you alone, especially when I'm around. Not to mention Amelia."

"He stayed in the castle." A wave of guilt courses through me when I remember Niall. I used trickery to make him leave me so I could go alone and he must be panicking right now. But once he realises Amelia is gone too, I believe he will gather two plus two.

The five of us are soon on our way, almost a day long journey ahead of us. I have a feeling a lot of things are going to change during our visit and the thought is unsettling to say the least. Whatever Amelia wants to show me has something to do with my uncle and I'd like to think all of it is just a big misconception.

After hours of travelling, we found a clearing in the woods where we decided to rest, starting a small fire while the fish Amelia has caught is roasting above it. Zayn is standing aside and watching the surroundings, Amelia is taking care of the horses, and Silas left to find something for his potions, I believe. I'm seated by the fire with Lilly standing nearby, humming a tune and weaving a flower crown. She has already made one for me, the colourful crown resting on top of my head.

"Lilly be careful!" Zayn suddenly shouts and runs towards her, his hand shooting out to grab her arm and pull her to his chest.

Considering Lilly wasn't expecting it, they clumsily trip and fall on the ground. Only then I notice Lilly's dress has caught on fire, but Zayn is quick to smother the flame.

Lilly looks at him with widened eyes as he lies on top of her, moving her hair away from her face, a wide smile spreading over her lips. "Thank you, Zayn!" She hugs him tightly, his body visibly tensing, especially when she kisses his cheek a few times, his face turning a dark shade of red.

"It- it was nothing..." Zayn mutters quietly.

Amelia and I exchange glances, smiles on our faces at the sight of two of them. Leaning back on my palms, I arch my eyebrow. "Would you look at that, Lilly, you have found yourself a hero."

"Lilly, I have good news and bad news, good news I've found the berries you needed, bad news I ate more than half-" Silas stops in his tracks as he lifts his gaze, his cheeks puffy from all the berries stuffed in his mouth, their blue juice smeared around his mouth, hands filled with them. 

He stays silent for a few moments as he takes in the sight of two of them lying on the ground in a ludicrous position. "You know what, I won't even ask."

👑👑👑

We're exhausted by the time we reach a small village, in desperate need of rest, proper meal and a bath. For the last hour or two, I've been walking on my own, deciding to let my loyal mare have some rest, the reins clutched in my hand, fatigue weighing me down.

Lilly sits down on the ground and lets out a loud groan considering she has followed my example and allowed her horse to rest while she walked. "I don't want to move anymore, even breathing hurts."

"Same." Silas groans as he joins her on the ground, mimicking her actions. "I am hungry and tired, and so close to dying I can basically see the spirits from the spirit world."

"And I thought Shakespeare was dramatic," Amelia flatly says as she lets out a long breath, her hands on her hips. "There is a tavern where we could get something to eat and drink. You stay here while I make sure everything is in order. Zayn, keep an eye on the Prince." 

I watch as Amelia leaves, my eyes shifting at Zayn. "Is it truly so dangerous around here?"

"You are a walking prize, your Highness. If anyone were to find out who you are, trouble would occur," he replies. "Just stay close to us and don't mention your identity to anyone."

I nod, trying not to feel paranoid. Zayn suddenly glares at something behind me as his eyebrows pull in a deep frown, making me turn my head quickly, seeing a group of bulky men approaching us. I realise they seem familiar; I believe they are Amelia's workers.

"Fancy seeing ya here," one of the men says as he steps out of the crowd, a menacing smile curving his lips.

"Ronan, what is the meaning of this?" Amelia demands and I turn my head, noticing a deep frown on her face as she hastily walks closer to us. "You are supposed to be guarding my house."

"You were always smart, just like yer father." He chuckles. "Ya see, the lads and I heard you were on yer way here with a certain treasure, so we did a few calculations and the Prince here worths much more than what ya pay us. Hand him over and we can all part in peace." He draws out his sabre, causing everyone else to do the same.

Silas mutters something in Latin, his eyes widening. "Oh shit."

"So you've been following me?" Amelia suddenly stands in front of me protectively. "I don't think so. He is mine, so I advise you to leave."

Zayn joins her, his sword in his hand. "What she said."

I notice the villagers quickly move in the other direction, probably sensing things are about to get ugly. My heart starts beating faster as it dawns upon me these people obviously want me in order to get riches from my parents and they wouldn't hesitate to kill Amelia and the rest to get me. The thought makes me panic and I open my mouth to protest and stop this.

But before I can react, the men lurch at us with sharp weapons in their hands, circling us in an instant. Zayn and Amelia pick their opponents and start to fight while a handful of them advances towards me, making me finally snap from my shock and pull out my sword. "Stand back!" I warn them, absolutely hating this situation. I have never been in a real fight.

One of them swings his sword and I lift my own to protect myself, the metal blades clashing together. My lack of experience is obvious, especially when in a few quick moves, he rips the sword from my grasp. Gulping thickly, I turn my head to see more of them behind me, glancing around to search for a way out. Everyone is too busy fighting which leaves me unprotected and in the vicinity of these men.

It pains me to see Amelia get restrained, one of the pirates putting her in a chokehold, her weapon slipping from her hand. When I attempt to approach her, my path gets blocked by a cluster of pirates with smug, dirty smirks on their faces. My mouth runs dry and my cheeks turn red from both fear and anger, heart booming in my chest.

"I- I can pay you if you let me and my companions go. I don't have much gold with me, but I can give you more when I get back to my palace. I promise not to do you any harm," I offer nervously.

They snicker mockingly. "Do ya think we're fools, princess?" One of them spits. "Seize him."

Multiple pairs of hands suddenly grasp my arms and shoulders, placing a bag of some sort over my head before I feel a strong blow at the back of my skull, my consciousness slipping away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125K 3.8K 34
Highest Rankings: #1 in Kiwi #3 in Harry Styles #5 in Harry Styles Fanfic #15 in Harry Styles Fanfiction Katie's a loner in a big city. They only thi...
160K 5.5K 24
Maybe she never should've joined the game. SHORT STORY.
9.4K 133 16
a wolf in sheep Clothing
121K 4.2K 33
The opportunity to work as an agent for MI6 isn't won easily- especially when there's 10 others vying for the same job. New recruit Rosy finds out th...