Cops & Robbers

Oleh Rikolah

Cops & Robbers. It's a game that every child plays, but what happens when three childhood friends grow up and... Lebih Banyak

Chapter One (Revised)
Chapter Two (Revised)
Chapter Three (Revised)
Chapter Four (Revised )
Chapter Five
Chapter Six (Revised )
Chapter Seven (Revised )
Chapter Eight (Revised)
Chapter Nine (Revised)
Chapter Ten (Revised)
Chapter Eleven (Revised)
Chapter Twelve (Revised)
Chapter Thirteen (Revised)
Chapter Fourteen (Revised)
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Eighteen

28K 393 24
Oleh Rikolah

"I say we do it tonight."

"But Jose, think of the risks. It's what three o'clock right now? Seven hours isn't enough time to prepare! I still have to figure out a way to access and selectively wipe our records. I mean it's not like I can remove us completely from the system! One: They'd know it was us just by what's missing. And two: I need tonight to case the joint. We don't know what security is like and I don't know about you, but going in blind doesn't sound like a very good plan. What if we get there and it's crawling with cops? We'll get caught and end up in jail for even longer!"

"Yes, but the longer we wait the more risk we take. How do we know that he won't be at our door tomorrow with a warrant for our arrest?"

I had eventually come out of the bathroom to face my problems like a woman and to listen to the rationales of the two most adamant members of the group: Jose and Vitor. They'd known of the crisis 12 hours longer than the rest of us and by their arguments, both had utilized the additional time to reflect on the pros and cons of caution in more depth. Occasionally Natasha, Alex, Daniel and I put in our two cents, but for the most part we sat in silence. Judging from how easily we changed our minds and how we flip flopped between agreeing with Jose and Vitor, our personal opinions were just as torn.

I thought for sure one of them would make an argument powerful enough to harangue us into not only picking, but also sticking to a side. However, when it was all said and done, Daniel ended up being the ultimate voice of reason.

"Tomorrow."

Because he hadn’t said anything in a while, a simultaneous "huh?" spread through the room. We knew exactly what he was talking about, but I think I wasn't the only one surprised by the steel in his tone.

"We should do it tomorrow. There's too much at risk. Even if that backstabber goes and pulls our files right now, he'll need at least a few days to gather enough evidence to reopen old shit. I won't let myself hope that the judge will deny it because we all know there's no love lost there, but we still have time."

"What if he was working on it before he warned us?" Jose argued.

"Honestly? I doubt it. Obviously what he has in book smarts, he lacks in the common sense, because only B movie bad guys announce their plan to the prey."

"What if he was counting on that response?"

He scoffed. "If you're going with that argument then I could argue your argument by saying he might have anticipated that you would say that and that I would say this and that because of it, he would have more than adequate time to plan his diabolical scheme to take over the world."

Everyone but Jose laughed. I think we all had a shared image of Dr. Evil. Glancing at the clock, I saw that another hour had passed while they argued away.

"Let's vote, I suggested. “Because if the motion to do the job tonight goes through, we're wasting prep time."

"Agreed," Alex nodded.

"All those in favor of doing it tonight?" I asked. "And tomorrow?"

Jose sighed when it was quickly obvious that everyone, but him was in favor of tomorrow.

"Alright then. I say we get the hell out of here so we can get our shit together. I volunteer to break into the police station."

"That's practically suicide!" Alex protested. "I volunteer to take the station with her."

Natasha didn't bother covering up her disapproval, but he didn't notice because he was too busy looking at me like he wanted to strangle me. Daniel didn't look too happy either, but he was wise enough not to say anything.

"Alright then," Vitor announced, clearly relieved that his sister was getting the easier of the two options. "That leaves Tasha and Daniel for the courthouse and Jose for the D.A's place. I'll be casing all three since you all will need security codes and what not. We meet here tomorrow night at ten."

We all got up to leave because time was of the essence and it was quickly ticking away. Alex jogged to my side and tried to carelessly throw an arm around me just like old times. Like I think we both knew it would, casual was the last adjective either of us could associate it with. Neither of us chose to comment.

"Need a ride?"

I frowned, belatedly recalling that Old Faithful was temporarily out of commission.

"Yeah."

"I'll give you one," Daniel answered from right next to me, causing me to jump three feet in the air.

My next instinct was to wrap my fingers around his throat for making it his life's mission to make things awkward, but to my surprise I resisted all forms of retaliation. It felt like a fortune cookie moment. "You must master your anger. Don't let your anger master you."

"Snap out of it Master Splinter."

Heat rose in my cheeks as Alex confirmed what I was thinking, "Yeah, you were voicing your inner monologue again."

"Starting?"

"With the fortune cookie moment. Don't worry we couldn't hear the rest of your thoughts, though you were mumbling before then."

"So am I giving you a ride?" Daniel asked, smirking at my embarrassment.

I wanted to tell him no, but Tasha stopped me.

"Alex, can we talk?"

"Yeah." He turned back to give me an apologetic look like 'sorry I'm leaving you with him.' "Drop her off at the house. I'll be there shortly so we can go case the station."

Daniel agreed, but not before taking my hand in his. Maybe I was hard to please or maybe I was just a terrible person, but I knew that if it wasn't for the impending job, I'd have severed all ties with him right then. I would have actually preferred to walk home than to live ten minutes under the pretense that I thought his attempt to hold my hand was sweet.

On the way back to the house he made several attempts at starting a conversation, but my answering silence eventually made him give up. I could feel him watching me as he drove, but I feigned ignorance so I wouldn't have to talk to him. The idiot thought I'd be up for some conversation after his unsolicited confession.

As the car came to a stop, he turned in his seat to fully face me.

"I'll see ya later," I tried.

He refused to be deterred by my obvious avoidance of a repeat awkward conversation regarding any romantic overtures.

"Look I know I made you uncomfortable, but it's because I know you. You run from commitment like it could be the death of you. You think all men are slaves to their depraved desires and that women are too easily addicted to the power bestowed upon them as a result."

His uncharacteristically articulate explanation of me in a nutshell had me turning to face him instead of turning tail.

"And they aren't?" I challenged.

"Not every man wants to use a woman, I'd be good to you Adrienne. I wouldn't try to make you jealous by dating your closest female friend."

His tone was judgmental and scathing... and clearly directed toward Alex. I could ignore my discomfort on many levels, but his tone was unforgivable.

"You don't know anything about me." I laughed. It was the less violent of the two instincts he inspired. "For your information, I don't run from commitment." It was a bold faced lie, but that was irrelevant. "And I don't think all men are slaves to their 'depraved desires'," I simpered with air quotations, "I just haven't found one who's smart enough to realize that us power hungry females aren't looking for sweet empty words, but for a man who can back it up with his actions."

And to think I had thought my temper was finally maturing. Steam was practically venting from my ears.

"That's not what I meant," Daniel defended with both hands held up in placation.

"Well forgive me if I misinterpreted your words by taking them at face value. I thought you were a man that that says what he means and means what he says."

"I am, I do, I mean-"

Watching him splutter brought my anger down ten notches and allowed me to see a color other than red.

"Whatever," I interjected, cutting off whatever he was scrambling to say in his defense.

I bolted from the car and escaped into the house, grinning once I had the door safely locked behind me. It wasn't exactly the soft letdown I had anticipated, but if my little schpeel didn't warn him off I'd eat my hat.

**

When Alex still wasn't home an hour later, I decided to go case the joint myself. There was no point in waiting around while he made up with Natasha and since it was only six o'clock, I figured why waste daylight? A lot could get done during the day that I couldn't do at night - things like going inside the station. My plan to get inside was simple: ask Ben.

He agreed, but that was probably because I didn't tell him the real reason why I wanted a ride there. I couldn't remember what I said to him exactly, but it was somewhere along the lines of: I was wondering what your office looked like. Lame? Maybe, but a lecture on the dangers of breaking and entering wasn't exactly on the top of my list for experiences I couldn't live without. That didn't even mention the whole hypocritical facet of it all. His opinion on the matter must have been similar because he didn't even ask any additional questions.

Ben picked me up shortly thereafter and to my relief didn't have much to say on the ride there. Shirley, the dayshift secretary had already left for the day by the time we got there, and the station was pretty quiet. As I had hoped, Roy was nowhere to be found and we made it back to Ben's office without notice.

"So," he began the moment the glass door to his office clicked shut, "are you going to tell me why you really wanted to come here?"

I cursed, because let's face it, it's what I do. After almost no deliberation I decided to just come right out with it. My heart knew he wouldn't turn me and we could use all the help we could get.

As I confessed my plans for tomorrow night the coffee stain on his desk began to look more interesting. When no immediate response was given, I looked up. Ben's mouth was ajar and his eyes were wide in disbelief.

"Come again?"

"I. Plan. To. Break. In. Tomorrow. Night."

"I thought I heard you right, but then my mind said, 'she can't be that stupid.' Please Adrienne, tell me you're not serious. Today's not April Fools is it?"

"No," I shook my head seriously, "April Fools was last week. I wish I was joking, but I'm dead serious."

I gave him the Spark Notes version of the most recent developments, purposely leaving out the names of my friends just in case he did betray me. I also left out the fact that they would be breaking into the courthouse and the D.A.'s office. He took it surprisingly well. I thought he'd chastise me or try and talk me out of it. Instead he nodded in grave understanding, his lips pressed together in a little line.

"I can help. If you want I can pull the physical copies of your files and leave them on top of the cabinets. I have no idea how to wipe your files without being traced though. Every file we view shows up in our log. If I looked it up, an internal investigator will come to me first, and believe me, one will come once a bunch of files mysteriously go missing from the system. When they can't find your stuff in archives, anyone who viewed it will be under investigation."

"Don't worry about the e-files, but I'll take you up on your offer for the archive help. The less time we spend in building the better. I'd also appreciate directions to the archives."

I smiled at him hopefully and he shrugged.

"I'll do one better. My friend Ted has an office just outside of the archive door. Maybe you'd like to meet him?"

With a quick nod of his head he opened the door for me and led me out the door to meet the not-so-illustrious Ted.

**

I found myself back at Vitor's place in the blink of an eye. A little more than 24 hours had passed since I was last here, but it felt like ten o'clock approached faster than should be possible. With every second that passed, my pre-job jitters got worse. What the hell was I thinking, breaking into the police station? Willingly?

Alex strolled in a few moments after me sans Natasha and I wasn't sure if that was a bad thing or a good thing. The bags under his eyes told me it had been a late night and I was kind of glad that I hadn't waited up for him. Sleep had been pretty elusive last night, but my steadily increasing adrenaline had me feeling like I'd downed a few energy drinks.

"Hey Midget," he mumbled, collapsing onto the couch next to me. We sat in silence while we waited for Jose, Natasha and Daniel to arrive. Vitor was typing furiously away on his keyboard while he "perfected the hack."

When I realized he wasn't going to volunteer information on what kept him out so late, I decided to just ask. Contrary to popular belief, a "sorry I didn't text you until now," text at two in the morning was not an adequate explanation for never showing up. It made me glad that I'd opted to go home with Ben after I met his sweaty, balding overweight friend Ted.

"Did you fix things with Tasha?"

He looked at me blandly. "Did you want me to?"

I frowned. "It doesn't matter what I want."

Alex laid his head on top mine. He took my hand in his and began drawing circles on my palm with his thumb. "Yes it does."

I looked down at our joined hands, unsure whether or not to be pleased by his response. My heart certainly felt lighter, but my head wasn't sure if it agreed. "Stop avoiding the subject. My opinion on the matter is irrelevant; your heart-to-heart already happened."

He pulled away from me to sit on the opposite side of the couch. I was going to ask why when Natasha walked in with Daniel, Vitor and Jose trailing behind her. Long story short, Natasha didn't sit next to either of us. She didn't spare a glance for me, but I caught her gaze flit to Alex as she settled in a chair on the opposite side of the living room.

"Okay," Vitor announced, "here are the hacks I stayed up all night working on. All you have to do is plug in these jump drives and open the program called 'System Sweep'. It will take about five minutes to load, but once it does, I'll have remote access to the system. My laptop is built from scratch and I'll be accessing the information from the Wi-Fi at the public library in case they try to detect usage after the fact. All you're responsible for are the physical files. The security codes have for your locations have been taped to your jump drive so for the love of all that's holy don't lose them."

"And don't return here," Jose added, "we'll meet up tomorrow afternoon to swap folders. We'll have to steer clear of each other for a while after that. Any information that we all need to know will have to go through the usual channels."

He looked between Natasha and me since we were the "usual channels." We had Zumba together allowing her, Vitor and Jose to communicate with me. Until recently I had always lived with Alex and slept with Daniel, making the perfect communication circle.

"Vaya con Dios," Vitor said with finality as he waved his hand in front of his face and shoulders in the shape of a cross. The others did the same. I was the only one to leave without doing so. Instead I stuck with my usual, "See you all on the other side."

Alex and I were already on our way to his car when Daniel stopped me. "I want to do the police station."

"No, you don't."

"True, but I don't want you to do the station so I'd rather we swap."

"Don't think I can do it?" I challenged.

He sighed. "This isn't a pissing contest Adrienne. I know you can do it, but I said I'd prove to you that I could be good for you. You said you wanted a man of action, I'll give you one."

Daniel looked over my shoulder at Alex before smiling down smugly at me. "I've got this."

"And I'm going with him," Natasha announced, coming up behind him. "The courthouse is the easiest target ever. I'm sure with Alex by your side, you'll have no trouble getting in and out."

I was going to argue it, but Alex handed our jump drive with the archive passcode to Daniel. Natasha handed Alex theirs.

"Let's go," he commanded, grabbing my hand and dragging me toward his car.

It wasn't until we were already on the way to the courthouse that I chewed him out.

"Why the heck'd you go and do that for?"

"I didn't want you at the station. Daniel volunteered. Adrienne, it's dangerous. I would've let you and Tasha take it, but she didn't want to do the job with the woman I left her for... Her words, not mine!" He added when he caught the look on my face.

"I don't like this. We're going in blind," I complained.

"Not completely,” he admitted, “Daniel and I already agreed to swap last night. Tasha was with me when he called to confirm and after our… agreement to go our separate ways, she decided it would be best to stick with Daniel."

“Just like that.”

“Just like that,” he confirmed.

The rest of the ride was spent describing the layout so if, for whatever reason, we split up, we’d have a game plan. Time flew, at least it felt like it did, and we arrived in no time flat. It was a simple grab and dash with hardly any security, but I still felt like a fish out of water. I trusted Alex implicitly, but going in based on someone else’s instruction – even Alex’s – felt like going in blind. There were just some things I preferred to handle myself. Recon and research were one of them.

I got out of the car and looked at the courthouse I passed a few times in the course of a regular week. Alex closed his door and the sound made me jump. Shaking my head at my abnormal jumpiness, I focused on my first surge of adrenaline. This was what I lived for and I’d be damned if a little bump in the road was going to make me chicken out.

With that thought, I rushed around the car to join Alex, knowing that this was only a piece of the puzzle that could change our lives for the next twenty years of our lives.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

12 0 1
Nobody in the group knows how to feel after what just happened. All they know, is that they can't survive on their own.
393 28 22
Three strangers meet in the most unlikely way and become best friends . Searching for a girl, they go on the most wild adventure ,passing worlds and...
7.1K 670 22
Life is way too short, it gives you only one chance to acknowledge what it's offering. If you don't do it on time, it'll take everything from you an...
Wicked Oleh Khelsey

Fiksi Remaja

179 37 14
These three best friends don't know that their life is about to change. After finding the perfect guy and having great grades, they still don't under...