The Crossing (Book One)

By Arzoelyn

The Key will come... Aurora is an ordinary college student gifted with an unknown power when her mother dies... More

Prophecy of the Key
Map of Enju
Chapter One: The Quest
Chapter Two: Found
Chapter Three: Run
Chapter Four: Tezaro
Chapter Five: Taken
Chapter Six: In The Desert
Chapter Seven: Morid
Chapter Eight: The Water Shed
Chapter Nine: The Common Room
Chapter Ten: A Different Path
Chapter Eleven: Fate
Chapter Twelve: Ilsurni Castle
Chapter Thirteen: Lucas
Chapter Fourteen: The Murmurwoods
Chapter Fifteen: Nesting Thoughts
Chapter Sixteen: The Hunt
Chapter Seventeen: Prey
Chapter Eighteen: The Silent Circle
Chapter Nineteen: More Than Words
Chapter Twenty: Nor Friend or Foe
Chapter Twenty-One: Not Alone
Chapter Twenty-Two: A New Discovery
Chapter Twenty-Three: Eri's Camp
Chapter Twenty-Four: True Intentions
Chapter Twenty-Five: Apprentice
Chapter Twenty-Six: Master Owen
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Fallen
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Captured
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Elder Tree
Chapter Thirty: Sight
Chapter Thirty-One: A Role To Play
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Fate of the Fallen
Chapter Thirty-Three: Betrayal
Chapter Thirty-Four: Bonds
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Walls of Ilsurni Castle
Chapter Thirty-Six: Phoenix Fire
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Torn Apart
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Lathimnar
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Home
Chapter Forty: Nim's Legacy
Chapter Forty-One: Moves and Counter Moves
Chapter Forty-Two: Landros
Chapter Forty-Three: The Narrow Pass
Chapter Forty-Four: Entering Kai'lym
Chapter Forty-Five: A Quiet Dinner
Chapter Forty-Seven: Trust
Epilogue: Crown Guard
Crossroads
Teaser #1
Teaser #2
Teaser #3

Chapter Forty-Six: Oaths and Threats

4K 383 76
By Arzoelyn

Several large glow stones and wall sconces illuminated the spacious parlor with rich colored upholstered furnishings. Sitting together, Master Owen continued his lessons of rudimentary runes with Aurora.

Eri sat with a bored expression spinning a small knife in one hand completely juxtapose to the soft green maiden robes she wore. From time to time, her attention would be drawn to the doorway from which Lily and Tezaro had yet to enter.

At that moment, Tezaro guided Lily with deliberate attention as they slowly walked the empty halls to the parlor.

"From what Aurora told me, it was not an easy feat getting to me, let alone rescuing me from Fennaris' dungeons." Without hesitation, Lily used her Sight to look upon Tezaro. "You have my undying gratitude."

"There is no need for that. And I did not do it alone. Owen and Eri helped just as much." Tezaro pointed out.

"As well as Valdor." The shadow that passed across Tezaro's face with the mention of Valdor intrigued Lily. "I'm indebted to all of you, but you most of all. You kept Ro safe. I know her well, and that is not a simple thing to accomplish. Which is why I must ask, what's in it for you? What do you want from her?" Lily refused to hide her suspicions.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Ro is broken and reckless. She trusted a stranger in a strange land to tell her the truth. I cannot count the number of times I've pulled her out of harm's way. She needs protecting from herself and now I fear, even from you, my savior." Lily's voiced lowered at the last. They halted outside the parlor door.

"You think I'm some kind of danger to her?" Thoughts of his prophecy came to mind, but they were his to guard. It was his prophecy to keep at bay, no matter the cost.

"Absolutely. You have the potential of  hurting her deeply. I don't know your motives behind all of this, therefore I don't trust you. As we stand here, I can feel there is something dark about you. Something that you're hiding. Tell me, what do you want from her?" Lily insisted.

Tezaro was impressed by her. This was someone he could understand; her motives, her thinking. She hid nothing and demanded the same of others. She was good hearted and honest, a qualities he respected greatly. "When I deliver Aurora to Armindia, I will receive something that I greatly need. I have to get her there without delay."

"Is that why you kissed her?" Lily saw the shock in his face, but went on." To manipulate her to follow you and do as you asked? Was I a delay?"

She may have been a prisoner and blind, but the woman before him was no invalid. "No, you were not a delay. I have my reasons for doing what I did. As to what happened between me and Aurora, I will not discuss it."

Tezaro remained silent.

Lily squeezed his hand and her mind came underassault. Flashes of scenes moving too fast for her to comprehend them all assaulted her as she tightened her hold on his hand. Suddenly, the scenes fled just as quickly as they had stabbed her mind. There was no way to make sense of the images, but two she was able to recall with utmost clarity. An opal dagger and Aurora sprawled on the floor clutching her stomach with a bloodied hand, the dagger at her side.

"You look ill. Let me help you." Ignoring their argument Tezaro made to wrap his arm around her waist.

Still using her Sight, she noticed the opal dagger at his waist. Quickly she snatched her hands from him. It was the very same dagger from her vision. "I was right." She hissed.  "Aurora is not safe with you. She is a sister to me. I have to tell her to protect her." Once again she tried to scramble from him.

Wary that she might fall without her sight, Tezaro hovered besides her. "I swore an oath. I will die before any harm comes to her."

"Then you will fail. I won't let her leave with you. Ro must stay." She made to walk away but Tezaro took her by the arm, stopping her protests.

"Use your powers once again to see me." Reluctantly, she obeyed.

"Aurora must go to Armindia. Neither you nor Aurora is from this world, a secret that must be kept. And that is why she is not safe here, and she will not be safe until she is there. If she is the Key of Prophecy, then her place is in Armindia. It is you who must decide what path to choose. Come with us or stay."

There was more he needed to say if she would listen. "You have been honest with me, now let me be honest with you. I do have my own motives for taking her to Armindia. You say Aurora is a sister to you, I lost a brother. All I ask is for the opportunity to find justice for his death. Aurora's arrival in Armindia brings me closer to that."

War waged within her. He sounded sincere but there was too much at stake. There was no way of knowing if what she saw merely reflected her fears. Perhaps she was placing too much importance on a vision she did not understand fully. Nothing made sense. Was there a chance that an over imagination and protectiveness was getting the best of her? Afterall, Aurora always accused her of such.

Yet why did she see those things? What could it mean? What if the Crossing had stolen her sight and gifted her with these new unexplainable powers? A thought she was beginning to ponder and yet could not reveal to Prince Landros for fear of endangering their safety.

There were too many unanswered questions regarding her blindness and flashes of images. She needed to remain in Kai'lym and explore these thoughts under the guise of her healing sessions.

"I understand the pain of losing someone you love. I have no memory of my mother and I lost my father when I was very young. Aurora trusts you a great deal, and you say you swore an oath to protect her. Then lead her safely to Armindia. I will ask the same of the others. But you must leave her." Lily's voice grew colder than a blizzard. "Stay away from her."

"I could not agree with you more." Valdor called out as he casually sauntered to them. Just as Valdor approached them, Eri jutted her head out from the doorway.

"This does not concern you." Tezaro growled at Valdor.

"Oh, I think it does." Valdor countered.

Ignoring the two, Lily focused on protecting Aurora. "Eri, good. I need to speak with you and Master Owen. Take me inside." Complacently, Eri took Lily's outstretched hand while cocking a quizzical brow at Tezaro. The two disappeared past the doorway.

Animosity lingered as a presence between the two men. "We've had this conversation before." Tezaro stood straighter and clenched his fists.

"Yes, but the circumstances were different. You thought me a lowly ranger then, but I am a prince." An easy smile spread across Valdor's face.

"Your manners have not changed. She wears my crest." There was no point in arguing this and Tezaro made to leave.

"We both know that is a farce. But I will bide my time until she is revealed as the Key and ruler of Armindia. By then not only will your crest will be removed, but you as well."

Tezaro spun around. "Your advances are unwanted, princeling." 

"Not by her, I think."

"I do not need my crest to stop you. Until now I have remained quiet, but all I have to do is tell Aurora how many beds you have traversed. My swordsman's reputation is only exceeded by your promiscuity. You are not worthy of her. You are not worthy of her." Tezaro gritted his teeth. 

"I do not wish to hurt her, but sooner or later she will learn the truth. You are only interested in her as another conquest." Tezaro took a step forward, eyeing Valdor with contempt. "You may be a prince, but you have no honor."

"Enough!" Valdor spit out and swiped his hand across the air. "You're one to talk of truth when you are concealing your very betrothal. It is you who is full of lies and deceit. You are not trying to protect her, merely making her believe she needs to be dependent upon you. I see what you would do now.

"You will use her to restore your title now that you have become an outcast. We both know it is only a matter of time before she is made queen and alliances must be made if Armindia is to survive. There is no stronger alliance than that of marriage." Valdor's eyes narrowed. "Who do you think she'll choose then?" Valdor matched Tezaro's forward step.

The two were inches apart. "As if you would ever be faithful; nonetheless, she will see through your false charms by then. And there are other kingdoms beside Kai'lym."

"You would forsake her so easily to another? You care nothing for her, then." Valdor made a satisfied smirk.

"Her happiness is all that matters. If she is to be my queen, then I will obey her command. I will hold no claim over her."

"Then stay away from her." Valdor warned Tezaro.

"Impossible. I have sworn to protect her with my life. Only she can renounce me."

"You arrogant bastard!" Valdor drew back his arm aimed at Tezaro's face.

Expecting the hit, Tezaro sidestepped him and took Valdor's arm then quickly twisted it behind him. "Easy there, prince. I suggest more lessons with your trainer before you try that again." Tezaro leaned in, pushing the arm higher. "You are too predictable; as you were in the forest." He released Valdor with a hard forward shove.

Valdor spun in anger and regained his footing. "There are other ways more pleasurable to be rid of you." He headed to the parlor door and stepped inside with the others.

Before Tezaro could follow Eri stepped outside. "We need to talk." She commanded.

"Not now, Eri." He stepped closer to the door as Eri grabbed his arm and hauled him away..

"Yes, now. You need to listen to me. What in the name of the Great Abyss did you tell Lily?"

That stopped him. "What?"

"She kept insisting that we had to keep Aurora safe. And asking about how trust worthy you were and how long have we known you. Then urging us to not let her out of our sights even with you. She kept glancing at the door as if expecting you to walk in and stop her from speaking."

"She does not trust me."

Eri nodded. "Yeah, I got that impression. That's why I walked out and let Owen deal with her. It's clear her loyalties are with Aurora, I understand that, but mine are with you. " Eri's loyalty ran deep. They'd shared a great many memories together. "Tell me, what did the two of you talk about to make her distrust you?" Eri glanced at direction of the doorway. "She was fine earlier."

"I believe Prince Valdor has gotten to her. She believes I am manipulating Aurora...for Larn."

"You idiot. Anything else?" Exasperation transformed Eri's face as her hands landed on her hips.

Unbidden thoughts of his prophecy sprouted like wild vines, but they were quickly severed. "Nothing."

"Are you sure she does not know about your crest-giving?"

"No, and do not bring that up again. As soon as we reach Armindia I shall reclaim it." Although after his encounter with Valdor, he was hesitant to do it, not that he could say that to Eri. The more time that passed, the more tangled his feelings became.

"Fine. If Prince Landros is correct, then we need to head to the marina tomorrow and find that Armindian merchant vessel to barter passage." Eri said.

"Agreed." Tezaro replied. They had always seen eye to eye. It was time to separate Aurora from Valdor. "Prince Landros wants us here about as much as we wish to stay. If the fates are on our side, this time tomorrow we will be sailing for Armindia."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303K 30.8K 59
Fearing for Will's life, Alex crosses the Rim to save him from the Rhean monarchy, but the dark truths awaiting her will make her question everything...
814 118 8
In a realm of fate and fae, Orion has always been destined for greatness. But as the "hero" embarks on his final quest, destiny takes an unexpected t...
342 17 47
An untold prophecy revolves around Shannon, a young fairy. She embarks on a new journey with new friends and enemies. There is danger hovering aroun...
4.3K 392 33
❝ There are no limits to a power as great as yours. ❞ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ Aurora Celeste has spent her whole royal life as a Crown Princess and next...