My Nerd | Winn Schott | Book 1

By Exhausted_Emily

A story about an alien who falls for the IT guy. 》 "You may be a nerd, but you're *my* nerd." 》 Skylar Jacks... More

Introduction
Cast
1 ~ Do it for Kara
2 ~ Kicking Butt
3 ~ Confessions
4 ~ Super Friends
5 ~ Reactron
7 ~ Memories
8 ~ Anger
9 ~ Hurting the People We Love
10 ~ Family Time
11 ~ Black Mercy
12 ~ Remembering
13 ~ Vacation?
14 ~ Myriad
15 ~ The End
Book 2 Title Announcement + ?

6 ~ Thanksgiving

3.2K 99 38
By Exhausted_Emily

Song: I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz

"This is Leslie Willis, coming to you alive and wired from Catco Plaza. The week of Thanksgiving, which means Ah, it is time for my annual list of Things I Am Not Grateful For, and this year's list is only two items, Solar Flare and Supergirl." Winn and I are at Catco, listening to Leslie's radio show.

"The blue-and-red abscessed tooth in the otherwise gleaming smile that is National City! How much do I despise, I mean loathe, their whole, "Look at me, I'm a-dork-able" thing. And those hideous, like, rejected-from-the-Olympics figure skating outfits they wear? I mean, a skirt and tights? Puh-lease." We look at each with a silent gasp. How dare she criticize our beautiful works of art.

"Seems like overkill, especially since no one is trying to get in there. And who would that be? You know, who's hombre enough to puncture the Chastity Belt of Steel? Or is what's required a softer touch? I mean, Supergirl does kind of give off a Sapphic vibe, with that big ol' butch "S" chest plate. I mean, how would that even work with an alien? I mean, is everything the same down there, or are we talking tentacles? Maybe it's time for a break. Or a makeover." Leslie says before I close the radio tab on my computer.

"Skylar, Mr. Carr wants to see you in his office." Snapper's assistant, Becky, says.

"Ok. Thanks, Becky." I respond before she scurries back to her small desk. Snapper is basically my second boss. Cat and him both give me assignments. He didn't like me very much the first year I was working at Catco. But now he has seen what I am capable of.

"Mr. Carr? You wanted to see me?" I say, walking into his office.

"I want you to write a essay on the Leslie Willis situation. I assume you've heard about it?" He explains. I nod my head in response.

"Good. I want it on my desk on Monday morning. You can go now." Snapper sends me out of his office. I walk back over to my desk.

"What did he want?" Winn asks curiously.

"He wants me to write an essay on the 'Leslie Willis situation'." I sigh, plopping onto my chair dramatically. He laughs at my actions. Just then, Kara walks in.

"So, how was breakfast with your mom?" Winn asks her. "Foster mom." Kara corrects him.

"Great. She's amazing. But Alex keeps waiting for this, like, bomb to go off. And maybe I'm oblivious, but-" She explains to us. Winn and I laugh, interrupting her. "What?" Kara asks.

"It's just It's nice when we talk about a metaphoric bomb for a change." I giggle.

"So, have you figured out what you're doing for Thanksgiving?" Kara asks us both.

"Yeah, uh, orphan Thanksgiving. Literally, Thai food and Orphan Black marathon." Winn replies sadly.

"Pizza and Greys Anatomy." I answer.

"Alone? What about your family?" She asks.

"Core wound, Kara." Winn answers quietly. I shake my head.

"Friends?" We both shake our heads.

"Guys!"

"What?"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No, that's crazy! You're coming over. We're gonna have a Friendsgiving." Kara tells us.

"Oh, you don't have to do that." I sigh.

"Well, I want to. Seriously. You can be a buffer between Alex and Eliza. And we can watch Orphan Black after. What is Leslie Willis doing in Cat's office?" She asks.

"You have superhearing, remember?" Winn reminds Kara.

-

I got started on writing my article in the comfort of my apartment the rest of the day before going to Kara's place.

The Danvers, Winn, and I are sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner at Kara's apartment now.

"Kara, your oven's not the best. Would you mind giving it a quick five seconds or so?" Eliza, Kara's foster mother, asks Kara.

"Mhm." She agrees.

"She comes in handy." Winn chuckles.

"I have to admit, the first time she did it I was a little worried. What if we were all eating radioactive turkey?" Eliza laughs. Everyone, including myself, laughs along with them.

"It's no worse than the microwave. We'll all live." Alex assured her, taking a sip from her wine glass.

"You're having a lot of fun, Alex. Let's get some food in you." Eliza sternly says to Alex.

"Everything looks great. Oh, especially the pie." Winn cuts in, trying to break the akward silence.

"Oh, yes. That is the best pie in the galaxy. Or so I'm told." Alex slurs slightly. Winn glances over at me with a 'really' look on his face. I shrug in response.

"So, before we eat, I thought it would be nice if we went around and shared what we were grateful for, or any other feelings that we might want to share with family and friends, so let's share." Kara stands up, starting a conversation.

"I'll go first, um I'm grateful for everyone here. My best friend in the entire world, my sister who's always had my back, and the woman who always treated me like a daughter." Kara says with a smile.

"Thank you, sweetie." Eliza says softly.

"Alex, do you wanna go next?" Kara shoots a glare at her sister. Alex says a quick "Nope." before taking another sip of her drink.

"Winn, why don't you go?" Kara suggests.

"Yeah. Well, that's easy." Winn starts, standing up but gets interrupted by Kara's cellphone.

Skylar immediately thinks he is going to thank Kara. Little did she know, Winn was going to thank Skylar. She is his best friend, she understands him. He likes her. But he thought she would never like him back.

  "Oh, sorry guys, I'll turn it off. Oh, it's James. Um, sorry, sorry. I'll make it quick." Kara says before scurrying off.

"Thanksgiving call? That's nice. That's really very thoughtful." I chuckle with sarcasm.

I just generally dislike the guy. He thinks he can come to National City and be the guy every girl swoons over? Well, he thought wrong.

"So, uh, Eliza, you are a scientist? That's cool." I wonder, trying to start a conversation.

"A scientist is a general term, dear. I am a bio-engineer. Alex is in the same field. You know, I guess being a lab rat, it runs in the family." Eliza laughs.

"There's something I have to tell you." Alex says seriously

"Okay. Is everything all right?" Eliza worries.

"When I was at Stanford, I was doing research in genetic engineering. And my work and connection to Kara, it came under scrutiny. And I was recruited by the government. I'm not just a doctor. I'm an operative for an organization called the DEO." My eyes widen at Alex's confession. I shuffle nervously in my seat.

"We monitor alien life here on Earth. I work in the field with Kara. I mean, that is my job, Mom, I look out for her." Alex gets out of her seat as Kara walks into the room.

"I would be happy to carve this, Eliza." Winn tries to calm the situation.

"Are you out of your mind?" Eliza shouts.

"Oh, here we go." Alex sighs, throwing her hands in the air.

"Who wants green beans?" I try to help, laughing uncomfortably.

"How could you do this, Alexandra?" Eliza asks angrily.

"She called her 'Alexandra.' This is gonna get ugly." Kara whispers to us.

"How could I do what? Devote my entire life to watching over Kara? Well, I don't know, maybe it's because it's what you've told me to do since I was 14 years old. You lied to me for years. Is that what you got from all of that? So, Kara risks her life to protect other people, and she is a hero. And yet, I do the same, and I'm in trouble? That is perfect." Alex shouts angrily.

"You think your father would be proud of this?" Eliza asks her.

"I will never win with you." Alex scoffs before leaving and slamming the door.

"Yeah, we should go." I mumble quietly but enough for Kara and Winn to hear. Winn and I shuffle out the door. We walk outside and sit on a bench.

"So, my sister invited me to a thanksgiving dinner. I turned it down because- honestly I don't know why I did. I guess I was just nervous." I explain, putting my head in my hands.

"Are you still gonna go?" He asks me.

"Will you come with me?" I ask quietly.

"Sure, I will come with you." Winn agrees.

"You will?" I ask, making sure I heard him correctly.

"Why not?" He chuckles, standing up. I stand up and check my watch. 6:30.

"Ok, well, thanks. They are going to eat dinner at 7. If we hurry we can still make it." I look at him for conformation.

"Ok then let's go! Lead the way, Sky!" He exclaims, offering his arm. I accept it and wrap my arm around his as we head towards Amelia's apartment.

I sent a quick text to my sister telling her I may come to dinner with a guest.

We walk there in silence. It wasn't akward, it was more of a comfortable silence.

"We can still go back if you don't want to go." I assure him as we are getting close to Amelia's house.

Winn stops, making me look at him. He places a hand on my shoulder.

"It's going to be fine, Skylar. I'm sure your family is great." Winn comforts me.

"It's just my sister, her husband, and their daughter. They are kind of crazy but you get used to it." I giggle.

"What are their names?" He asks as we make it to the street they live on.

"Amelia is my sister, Jack is her husband, and Annabelle is my niece. Annabelle is only four years old." I explain to him. He nods, understanding what I said.

I walk up to the front door, take a shaky breath, and knock. I see Annabelle look out the side window to check who knocked.

I smiled and waved. She gasps, runs to the door, and opens it.

"Aunt Skylar!" Annabelle squeals and pulls me in the house. I pull Winn inside with me.

"Annie!" I squeal back, making her giggle.

"Who's that?" She asks pointing to Winn. I look back at Winn and he has a big grin on his face.

"This is my friend, Winn. We work together." I introduce him as Amelia and Jack walk into the room.

"Hi!" Winn greets cheerfully.

"Sky! You made it!" Amelia runs in for a hug. It feels so nice to see her again. I embrace Jack in a hug too.

"Uh, I hope it's okay that I brought Winn with me." I say.

"The more, the merrier!" Amelia exclaims.

"How did you come? Amelia said you had plans." Jack bring up after a few minutes of small talk and eating.

"Well, Winn and I were actually over at my friend, Kara's, apartment for dinner but some family drama went on before we could start eating so we left and came here."   I explain.

The rest of the time we talk about what's going on in our lives.

We finish eating so Winn, Jack, Annie, and I go out to the living room to hang out. "So, Jack, what do you do for a living?" Winn asks, trying to get closer to my family. I smile at his efforts.

"I actually majored in computer programming in college. Now, I teach computer programming at NCU." Jack says with a small laugh.

"I went to NCU for computer and tech too. I work at Catco as an IT now." Winn tells him.

I walk into the kitchen and see Amelia washing dishes. I grab a towel to help dry them.

"They are really hitting it off out there." Amelia laughs.

"Yea they are." I laugh too.

"Winn's really cute, do you like him?" Amelia asks with one eye brow raised.

"Wha- Uh- no. What makes you say that? We are just friends." I stutter.

"Oh, come on. I see the way you two look at each other." Amelia states.

"Ok, even if I did like him, he probably wouldn't feel the same."

(A/N)
Sorry I took so long to update! I've been busy. I probably won't be able to update for about 2 weeks because I'm going on vacation. Due to short amounts of free time and bad service, I probably won't update while I'm there. So please accept this chapter as an apology lol.

Also, sorry for any errors. I finished this at 3am. I will read over it tomorrow to see if I did anything wrong.

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT? WHAT DO YOU WANT TO HAPPEN? COMMENT TO TELL ME! WHO KNOWS? MAYBE I WILL USE YOUR IDEA!

See you in a flash,
~ Emily

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 274 12
Kara didn't become a reporter. No. She created her own path. While she still may be Supergirl, she's not the person you may know. She stuck to hearts...
8.3K 313 25
My name is Kara Zor-El. I'm from Krypton and also another reality. After helping rebooting the multiverse, I found myself thrown into a new life with...
10.3K 342 29
Slow-burn smut of Kara Zor-El and Lena Luthor. Kara has a crush on Lena. Lena finds out Kara is Supergirl. Kara tells Lena she is Supergirl. Many oth...
304K 6.8K 23
"So, no matter what you need me for, no matter who or what you're facing, I will not let you down." ~ Oliver Queen, "One Call Away" Three months afte...