Little Leaps

Bởi xFakingaSmilex

As their life turns towards a new adventure, secrets from Blake's past threaten their relationship once more... Xem Thêm

Little Leaps
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
⋆ OTHER STORIES YOU MIGHT ENJOY ⋆

Chapter Twenty-Two

8.7K 430 127
Bởi xFakingaSmilex

Weeds pile up behind me as I move through the garden bed. I've never had a green thumb with plants, but owning a house comes with a whole new set of responsibilities. Paying bills, cooking dinner, weeding the garden, the never ending list of cleaning duties along with maintaining a work and social life along with being a parental figure and soon to be wife.

Despite those pesky things, owning something substantial, the freedom to do whatever we want, and being able to wake up beside Blake is amazing. Of course, watching London and Blake fight over a bubble machine reaches those top moments too.

These are my Friday afternoons as a partial homeowner. I do love them, even if I'm rendered exhausted from the long afternoon of tasks.

"You're the little one, you have to chase the bubbles," Blake explains. "And you also have to do what I say – I'm Simon Says."

"Please, Daddy." She pouts. "I want to play with the bubble machine."

"No, because you don't share the bubble machine. I'm not chasing you around the yard again."

"Are you two seriously still fighting over that thing?" I sigh. "I told you, Blake, we should have gotten a second one."

A smile stretches onto Blake's face. "We're having an amicable discussion about who gets to play with the bubble machine."

"Mm, that's not how it looks to me." I laugh.

Blake pouts which morphs into a frown when his phone rings. He passes the bubble machine to London before taking the call. She squeals with delight as she darts off like a rocket.

It's probably the best six dollars I've spent in my life.

He walks towards the pool which is just out of earshot. Blake's shoulders tense which causes a ripple of nerves to cascade through me. When the call ends, Blake tucks his phone into his pocket. He turns around and crouches down.

"Come here, baby girl." A beaming smile spreads across his lips as Blake holds his arms out.

She discards the bubble machine in favour of leaping into his arms. Blake swirls her around and she laughs with delight. He places her down and whispers something. London waits for Blake to covers his eyes before she races off.

I assume they're playing hide and seek due to Blake covering his eyes. I bet London is rushing to hide in our bedroom, that's been her favourite spot at the moment. She either hides under the bed beside my shoe box or squishes herself between the large European pillows on the bed.

The fascination of hiding in our bedroom is odd but I find it adorable.

I toss another weed onto the pile and remove my gloves. As I stagger to my feet, I brush the sand from my legs. Blake strides across the grass and nuzzles his face into my neck the moment my arms are wrapped around his waist. He squeezes me tightly and it's hard to breathe.

Blake moves back and I cup his cheek, then gently stroking my thumb over his cheek. I guide him into a passionate kiss where I attempt to throw all the emotions I'm feeling across. He seems distant which is worrying.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"Tori is taking me to court for full custody. She's also demanding that I take a paternity test."

"She's going to look silly when she does – how does a mother not know the father of her child?"

"Regardless of the test, we can't afford a big legal battle. We're just above the surface with the wedding craze. I don't know how I can pay lawyer fees."

"Then I'll cancel extras, return what we can. Fighting Tori in court is more important that table settings or flowers. I'd rather have our little girl at home."

"We can't." He sighs. "Everything has been paid for or the return date has passed. We'd have to take a loan from the bank and even then, I don't know if they'd give us money."

"Free legal aid? It's better than nothing."

"We need an expert in the field."

Blake leans against me and I struggle to hold us up under his weight.

"I'll make this work, I promise."

"Maybe we should consider the realistic option? She's not my daughter by DNA, do we have a strong case worth battling?"

Anger burns hot and red as rage pulses through me. I shove Blake off my shoulder and glare.

"Don't you dare say that! You fight, even if the odds outweigh us. And you'll keep fighting until London is home, safely sleeping in her bed. Fighting is the only option here. She's my niece, your daughter, and there's no way I'm letting her be raised by a crazy person!"

"Ava, please." Blake grabs my hands.

"We raised London when Tori walked out."

"I know you're right."

"Damn straight. Now there has to be something that gives us some right over her."

"You're right, Ava. We'll figure something out."

I smile when I see the fire burning in his eyes.

"You're right. Why the hell am I giving up before the fight has begun?"

"I know you're tried, but I can be the strength you need."

"We're going to need a lot of strength to get through it." Blake sighs.

The door opens, little footprints paddle across the decking. I lace my fingers between Blake's and smile. London stands on the edging with a pout. Even though Blake and London aren't blood-related, the do look the same when they pout. It's kind of scary, actually.

"Daddy, you didn't come to find me." She folds her arms.

The anger simmers to a twinkle when he looks at her. My heart skips a couple of beats. It's adorable how connected these two are. If a judge can't see how right this is for London, then I might give up on the world.

"I'm so sorry, baby girl. Go inside, I'll be there on the count of ten."

"Do you promise to find me?"

"I'll always come and find you." He nods. "I just had to talk to Mummy."

"Mummy?" I giggle.

Blake tugs me against his chest, then kisses my forehead. London doesn't realise this moment, but it's one of the best promises Blake could ever make to her. One day, she'll understand how lucky she is.

"Start counting."

"Okay." He nods. "One, two."

She twirls around and runs inside. I lean up and peck Blake's lips. This time, his fingers tangle into the hair at the base of my neck.

"You better get in there. You can't let her down after that promise."

"Don't worry, I won't let either of you down."

Blake pecks my lips once more, then races into the house.

"Ready or not, I'm coming to find you," he calls.

Ready or not, we're going to be fighting Tori in a legal battle. I know it's bound to be a disaster but everyone gets their fairytale ending at some point.

* * * * *

"Now you have to sleep otherwise you're going tobe tired tomorrow." I place the warm cup of milk on her side table.

"I promise." She grabs it with two hands and sips.

When she's finished, I take the cup and turn the nightlight on. Blake turns the room light off which leaves pretty stars cascaded on the wall. London snuggles under the covers and I kiss her forehead three times. One from me, one from Daddy and one from Ivan.

"Goodnight, Lo."

I stand beside Blake who's resting against the door frame. I snuggle into his side and sigh with happiness.

"Do you remember when you had to put your hand on her chest to make her fall asleep?" I whisper.

"Hm, back when things were easy. Now it's three books, a puppet show, warm milk and three kisses goodnight. And that's on a slow night."

London peeks over her covers and giggles.

"Go to sleep now."

Blake closes the door, just enough that the hallway light only just creeps into the room.

I flop onto the couch and sigh with delight. It feels amazing to be off my feet. Blake picks up my feet and places them on his lap.

"A foot rub would be perfect right now." I grin.

"Sure." He smiles. "The garden looks amazing and so was dinner."

"My housewife duties have been completed for the week." I grin.

Blake rubs my feet and it feels amazing.

"Ava?"

"Yeah?" I sigh.

"I think we should tell your parents about London. Having their support could probably work towards our favour."

"I'm glad you think that because I already arranged to have dinner with them."

Blake's eyes go wide with shock.

"What would you do if I said no?"

"I'd have considered dragging you there," I admit.

"Thanks for arranging it."

"Just don't forget to show, okay?"

"I'll be there no matter what." He nods.

"That's good to know."

"Now, can we please cuddle?"

I take Blake's hand and he pulls me up. I snuggle into his chest and sigh with happiness. I'm learning to enjoy little moments like this because I know what it's like to go up against the worst and lose everything.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

980K 37.7K 41
Ava thought she had the world figured out until it was turned upside down. She must decide if she wants to be free or re-building the life she had. S...
288K 11.5K 43
Blake and Ava must fight for the life they want, even if that involves risking it all. Series Order: Baby Steps, Colossal Jump, Moving Forward, Litt...
Forgotten Bởi Kabarakade

Tiểu Thuyết Chung

605 69 20
In a small world, a child has grown up harshly. With constant twists and turns. How does he handle them? Read this to find out.
12.6M 347K 38
Sometimes we keep secrets because we know the truth will hurt more, but what happens when you keep a secret? Ava pretends she's happy despite struggl...