Regal [h.s au]

By roundcats

When a young prince is obliged to leave his castle in order to learn how to rule his kingdom properly, he rea... More

REGAL
01. Adventure
02. Little thief
03. Attack
04. Raiders
05. Personal guide
06. Maid
07. King Edgrrr
08. Memories
09. Stalker
10. Bring it on
11. The art of hugging
13. Freedom
14. Female dark magic
15. Hand of the King
16. No future
17. Royal sandwich
18. Hero
19. Dead men tell no tales
20. Cake-tastrophy
21. Ball invitation
22. Marriage hunt
23. A deal is a deal
24. Game on
25. Intimacy
26. Flower prince
27. Manners
28. Secret
29. Miss Cortez
30. I promise
31. Duty
32. Together
33. Goodbye
34. Marriage
35. Protect him
36. Journey
37. Need
38. Our light
39. Come back
40. Hold on
41. Revelation
42. Innocence
43. New commander
44. Pain
45. Polar opposite
46. Hard liquor
47. Blame
48. Reunion
49. Revenge
50. Arrival
51. Different people
52. Angel
53. By your side
54. Jealousy
55. My queen
56. Practice
57. Prince in distress
58. Home
59. Empire
60. One day
Epilogue

12. Flower scent

6.8K 390 404
By roundcats

AMELIA

"I must compliment your dancing skills, you have barely stepped on my feet," Prince Harry teases me with a grin.

"I must agree, my feet destroying skills are a bit rusty, I guess it depends on who am I dancing with." I grin back at him, absolutely enjoying dancing with him despite the fact I dislike the act usually, that being the reason I have declined a couple of lords who have asked me to dance tonight. The other reason is the worry that some of them would try to court me, it always happens on these events.

"Oh, be still my heart," he dramatically says, his dimples indenting his cheeks.

"You know, heaps of young unmarried ladies are waiting for a chance to dance with you tonight," I say matter of factly, noticing a few female pairs of narrowed eyes observing us intently.

"Let them wait," the Prince whispers as he leans his face closer to mine before suddenly twirling me around, my layered gown swaying as I inhale sharply in surprise, a quiet laugh leaving my mouth.

I collide with his hard chest as he pulls me back towards him, our faint smiles matching as we stare at each other, blocking out everyone and everything around us. This has to be our fifth dance by now, but neither of us seems to be tired. His hand settled on my waist keeps me basically pinned to him as we move, but I have no complaints, I am completely drawn to him.

"Excuse me, may I cut in?" The Queen interrupts with a tight smile. "I would like to have a word with Miss Evans."

The Prince and I stop dancing, my body immediately missing his warmth as he pulls away. "Of course. Thank you for your time, Lady Amelia." He takes my hand and kisses the top of it, taking a step back with a small smile.

Before I can say anything, Katherine appears behind him, whisking him away towards the dance floor. I shift my attention at the Queen, watching as she motions for me to follow her. "Is something wrong, your Majesty?" The question slips past my lips as I trail behind her, knowing there is obviously something wrong. I have a nagging feeling the Queen does not fancy me that much.

"How do you like it?" The Queen asks me as she stands beside me, eyes focused on Prince Harry and Princess Katherine. "Working here in the palace? Working for the Prince?" She shifts her blue eyes at me, holding a goblet filled with wine in her hand.

"I love it, it makes me feel productive and like I can really make a change, contribute to something good," I reply, watching the couple dance, Katherine leaning towards him to whisper something in his ear which makes the Prince blush and look away.

"Hmm, and what is your goal? Be honest with me, it is just the two of us. I am very good at estimating when someone is lying to me. You saw an easy victim in my son and he was too naive to see it, probably enchanted by your beauty. Marrying a royalty or at least seducing him would ensure you a good life, away from that god awful place where you lived," Queen Annemarie says with a calm voice and a fake smile on her face, taking a sip of the wine.

"So that is what you think?" I calmly ask as I look at her. "You even have an entire theory as to why am I working for your son, and nowhere did you mention the desire to make a change, to help the future King; someone who is going to rule the kingdom one day."

"This is about manipulation then? And with manipulation comes power, isn't it?" She narrows her eyes only a fraction, keeping her innocent tone of voice and expression.

I do not let my calm demeanour falter, a small smile appearing on my lips. "Is there a reason your opinion is so low of me, your Majesty? Have I done something worth despising? As a woman living in that god awful place as you have put it, I had to learn how to fight to survive. My job here is nothing but a mere survival method, something that provides money for me and my family. I have no bad intentions and I shall always do my job righteously and the best I can, especially since seeing a woman in this position is unheard of. I will make sure to prove my worth and to prove I can do this like any chauvinistic man could."

She stares at me for a few moments, looking as if she is pondering my words. "Ambitiousness can be very dangerous and corruptive, Miss Evans."

"For the easily influenced and weak minded people, yes. Now excuse me, your Majesty." I curtsy, turning around and walking in the other direction, trying to take deep breaths to calm my thumping heart. If a woman has no faith in me and only sees a manipulative opportunist in me then I'll have to work even harder to prove myself to judgmental small minded men and to help save my home and all the people living there. I won't falter, I will keep fighting.

I notice the Prince and the Princess are both gone, making me feel slightly uncomfortable. No need to fret, they're old friends obviously, they felt the need to reminisce the old times alone. Away from people. Just the two of them. An innocent prince and a princess who is attracted to him. My eyes suddenly widen. I must protect his royal innocence, what if-

"I am sensing frustration around here..." Silas drawls behind me, making me spin around, a small frown forming on my face. "Who dared to make you angry, my sweet lioness? I shall fight them."

I manage to crack a smile. "The Queen."

He grimaces. "Did I- ha, did I say fight? I meant glare at her from a reasonable distance and wish she spills wine over her dress. Hexes are powerful." He wags his pointer finger.

"I believe in you, amigo." I pat him on the shoulder.

"You haven't complimented me, look how great I look in this suit." He grins, making a show of spinning himself once only for me to walk away while he does it, suddenly distracted. "Oh all right, I understand, my beauty is too blinding for you-"

"Ugh, that- that... that nincompoop!" A certain girl wearing a pretty violet dress and a flower crown on her head says in exasperation, grabbing a glass of champagne from a passing waiter and downing it all at once, making me widen my eyes.

"Lilly, what happened?" I ask as I make my presence known, causing her to shift her angry brown eyes at me, her lips curled in a pout.

"Did someone insult an animal again?" Silas asks in a bored tone, downing two drinks he has somehow obtained before placing the empty glasses on a tray one of the servants is carrying.

"These people are so rude! And that- that witch is rude!" Lilly tells us, motioning to no one in particular. "Just because someone is a servant or a guard doesn't mean he worths less than you!" Her eyes suddenly widen and she grins. "Oooh, that's exactly what I shall tell her!"

When she turns around, I grab her elbow, pulling her back. "Who is? Wait... how many drinks have you had?" My little sister is a special type of drunk, the condition making her be everything she's not when she's sober.

"One... plus five... and plus two... wait how many is that? Poor Zayn..." she mumbles as her features suddenly turn angry. "Zayn. She hurt him."

"I'm listening, who touched my stupid brother?" Silas suddenly demands, now completely interested as his dark eyebrows pull in a frown.

"Come with me, there is a certain witch I need you to turn into a cow or a bag of rubbish because that's what she is," Lilly snaps, grabbing Silas' hand. "Ha, I shall tell her that too! Let's go Silas, and take all your copies with you."

"Yeah, as if the world would be able to handle more of me," Silas mutters.

Before I can stop her, she storms out of the ball room while dragging Silas with her, making me follow them quickly, my hands grabbing my gown, pulling it up so I don't trip and fall. "If someone had told me this ball thing is this eventful I wouldn't have worn this damn corset!" I complain, any minor activity making me wheeze, my constricted chest barely functioning.

"Work faster!" Princess Katherine orders a young servant as he holds a cloth in his hand, wiping her stained dress while kneeling in front of her, his cheeks red in embarrassment.

"I- I am trying your H-highness, my deepest apologies," he stutters.

"Listen here you bag of rub- rubber... rubbish! Yes, rubbish!" Lilly suddenly exclaims, gaining everyone's attention, making the Princess look at her in disinterest as she turns, the poor servant boy being pushed onto his back by her wide hoop skirt.

"Pardon me?" Katherine says in a highly offended tone, eyeing my drunk little sister.

"Pardon yourself. It wasn't Zayn's fault, it was an accident! And she ordered for him to be taken away!" She points an accusing finger at her. "Here, hold my flower crown." She grabs it from her head and pushes it into my hands as she starts advancing towards Katherine.

Katherine steps back in shock, placing her hand over her chest. "You touch me and I shall have you hanged!"

While she's busy threatening my sister, I walk towards the servant boy and offer him my hand, making him look up at me with slightly widened eyes, a smile smile playing on my lips. "T- thank you, milady," he says as I help him stand up.

"Where is Zayn?" Lilly simply asks, taking a step towards her as Silas wraps his arms around her. "Let me go, I can take her! Tell me where is he?"

"No! That peasant made me spill my drink over my dress while I was dancing with the Prince!" She screeches in defence. "He deserves to be punished."

Silas curses in Latin under his breath, still holding a riled up and very drunk Lilly back. "Déjame ir! Déjame pelear con esta puta!" (Let me go! Let me fight this bitch!"

"Aren't you going to do something about this little beast? You are supposed to be the Prince's adviser! I shall have you hanged as well if you don't!" Katherine threatens.

"You see, the King named me the Prince's adviser for a reason. Wisdom is required for the position and as a wise person I mustn't interfere in any acts of justice." I carelessly shrug.

The princess huffs. "He's in the dungeons, but good luck trying to get him out! I shall have all of you filthy peasants hanged!"

"Vacca stulta (stupid cow)..." Silas mutters as we all quickly scurry past her, making me snort.

"He said 'thank you'," I lie and grin, giving her a small wave as the servant boy desperately tries not to laugh.

👑👑👑

"Cut it, Jeff, we play cards every week and now you are trying to pull some tough guy facade," I say as I raise my brow, staring at the guard in front of me. "Let the lad go. Besides, you owe me."

Jeffrey's expression slowly shifts from a firm one into the one of resignation. "Fine." He takes the keys hanging from his belt and turns around, swiftly unlocking Zayn's cell.

"Amelia." Zayn smiles at me as he walks out, his honey eyes softening as they focus on Lilly. "Lillian."

"Yay!" Lilly runs and hugs him, his body instantly tensing as he clears his throat, patting her back awkwardly.

"Idiot," he greets his brother.

"Bastard," Silas counters.

"Thank you, Jeff." I wink at him and wave as all of us advance towards the exit. "See you this week for the game."

When we come back to the ball room, I am surprised to realise no one makes any comments which means Katherine hasn't said anything yet. Now that I think about it, I cannot see her in the crowd, she has either went to change or to prepare everything to hang us. I shrug, eyeing the grand layered cake on the table in front of me, my mouth watering at the sight of it.

"Beauty, isn't it?" The King suddenly says as he walks up to me, standing beside me. "How are you holding up so far? Any criticism from the guests you've spoken to?"

I clear my throat, forcing a smile. What if he knows about my conversation with Katherine and what happened earlier? "Just a few, your Majesty."

"I did it on purpose, you know," he says. "Naming you Harry's adviser, I did it on purpose. As King, I need to have open minded people by my side, people willing to take risks and chances, people who shall help me rule the kingdom. Giving the position of my only heir's adviser to a woman has helped me find those people. The reactions I received were... diverse to say the least, but that seemingly insignificant act has unveiled who is truly loyal to me."

"So my employment is more than just an experiment?" I ask.

"Experiment? Oh, you're far from that, Miss Evans. I'd call you a chance." The King smiles. "A chance for my son to learn more about people who aren't a part of the royal life from someone who knows what it means to survive. A chance for me to show all of my decisions have a valid reason behind them. And a chance for you to prove a woman can do this job. So tell me, Miss Evans, are you up to the task?"

A smile spills over my lips upon hearing his words. "I will do my best to prove it, your Majesty."

His blue eyes observe me for a few moments, estimating me silently before he nods as if he has come to some sort of conclusion. "Enjoy the party." I curtsy and he turns his back on me, walking away.

"I was looking for you," a deep voice says quietly into my ear, causing a grin to appear on my face before I turn around, meeting the Prince's green eyes.

"At your service, your Highness." I nod at him, playfully curtsying.

"Join me." He ticks his head and holds out his elbow, making me link my arm through his as we slowly head towards the exit.

It isn't long until we reach the grand palace gardens, vast greenery in the form of trees, hedge mazes, and lines of bushes and flowers surrounding us. The day is warm despite the approaching winter, the Prince and I walking side by side quietly, the sounds of nature filling the air along with a faint sound of music coming from the palace. Prince Harry stops to inhale the scent of flowers I don't recognise, touching the petals with his fingertips.

"About that princess you danced with..." I mumble, trying to find out if she has informed the Prince about the incident from earlier.

"Ah, Katherine," Prince Harry clarifies, resuming the walk. "She's an old friend... well, acquaintance. Actually, truth be told, I was almost engaged to her."

That peaks my interest. "Oh, and what happened?"

"We weren't compatible," he says as he stares ahead, looking as if he's reminiscing. "She might be royal, poised, and well educated but she has no qualities a true queen must have. I do not like to speak badly of anyone, but she was truly disrespectful and impolite, especially when talking to her servants or anyone below her in class."

"Really, I would never have guessed," I mumble under my breath. "So what are the qualities of a true queen?"

"She must be brave and strong yet kind and compassionate, she must be able to make tough decisions in the times of need," the Prince explains before looking at me. "Someone like you."

His words make me stop in my tracks, eyes meeting his before a shy smile spreads over my lips. "You flatter me, your Highness. Thank you."

"It is true and my father has recognised those qualities, otherwise he wouldn't have named you my adviser nor allowed you to participate the council meetings." He smiles kindly.

"Now about that hug I owe you..." Prince Harry says, looking flustered as he looks away.

"Oh, right." My lips pull in a cheeky grin as I spread my arms, slowly sneaking them around the Prince's waist, tentatively pressing our bodies closer together as I feel him tense slightly then gradually relax. I rest my head against his shoulder, inhaling his sweet scent.

I feel his arms engulf my body, immediately bringing me a sense of warmth and relaxation. "You always smell like flowers, I love it."

"Thank you, I usually use the ones from the royal gardens for my bathing. I love flowers," he tells me, his throat vibrating as he speaks, making me shiver.

"My flower prince..." I mumble as I close my eyes, too quiet for him to hear.

We stay embraced for minutes, neither of us complaining about it being inappropriate or too long, the Prince being the first one to shift, probably unable to stand in one place any longer, making me pull away only to be stopped by his soft hands gripping my arms.

"I- I would like to try- I..." he mumbles and gulps nervously, his face flushed as he leans forward then pulls away, repeating the process a few times.

I grin as I realise what he might be thinking, deciding to make things easier for him and lifting my chin as I lean close to him, feeling my cheeks heat as there is only a small gap between our lips now. Just like the last time, he is the one to close it, his soft lips pressing against mine, lingering for a few brief moments before moving slowly as if testing the waters and being unsure how to do this.

Too fast, he pulls away, red to the tips of his ears. "My apologies, I- I took advantage of you, Lady Amelia, we were only supposed to hug as my gratitude for your help."

"No no, that was a hug too. It's like a lip hug or lip cuddling," I say with a grin. "We could practice that as well if you wish."

He smiles and nods. "Lip hug you say? Well, practice leads to perfection, does it not?"

His head dips as he connects our lips again, making me smile as we block out everything around us, occasionally stopping to laugh quietly because it feels odd in a way yet good at the same time, a new kind of bond creating between us that day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

863K 36.1K 77
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
404K 11K 43
a story of a man who becomes hopelessly in love with a woman that thinks his intentions are nothing but that. [A Dramatic Romance Alternate Universe...
Try. By g r a c e

Fanfiction

276K 10.7K 35
Vivian Olsen, recent college graduate, is ready for the real world. With a supportive family and boyfriend standing with her, she's excited to take o...
15.1K 375 18
Updates Monthly. "Yeah, Santa Carla is a cakewalk," you said, shrugging nonchalantly... "Santa Carla? A cakewalk?" David cross-examined, raising a p...