Becca's Moments

By lazy_writr

Trust - the firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone or something. Due to her past traum... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter TwentyOne
Chapter TwentyTwo
Chapter TwentyThree
Chapter TwentyFour
Chapter TwentyFive
Chapter TwentySix
Chapter TwentySeven
Chapter TwentyEight
Chapter TwentyNine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter ThirtyOne
Chapter ThirtyTwo
Chapter ThirtyThree Part 1
Chapter ThirtyThree Part 2
Chapter ThirtyFour
Chapter ThirtyFive
Chapter ThirtySix
Chapter ThirtySeven
Chapter ThirtyEight
Chapter ThirtyNine
Chapter Forty
Chapter FortyOne
Chapter FortyTwo
Chapter FortyThree
Chapter FourtyFour
Chapter FortyFive
Chapter FortySix
Chapter FortySeven
Chapter FortyEight
Chapter FortyNine
Chapter Fifty (Part one)
Chapter Fifty (Part two)

Chapter Fourteen

17.7K 201 23
By lazy_writr

Becca

I woke up the following morning feeling aggravated. Just knowing I had to go the rest of the week being a fake version of myself made me weary. Slipping out of bed, I grabbed my towel and headed to the bathroom. Luckily for me, I was off from sixth form. Unluckily for me, I still had work. My shift was at 10am and I had a feeling the day would drag. Hopefully, no one would annoy me and make my mood worse.

I reached the bathroom and pushed the handle but it was locked.

"I'm in here!" Kieran called out.

I rolled my eyes. "How much longer?"

"Just got in. Gimme five minutes."

"I'll be late."

"You should've got in here first then." I heard his mocking laugh through the door and grit my teeth.

I decided to head down to the kitchen and eat some breakfast to kill time. Once my cereal was nice and warm I travelled to the living room and saw Andre sitting in his school uniform eating toast and watching the football highlights.

"Still here?" I asked in confusion. It was gone eight o'clock now and he looked oddly comfortable.

"Dad's dropping me today. Waiting for him to get ready."

"Ah." I began eating and Andre remained silent with his eyes glued to the screen. After a few moments, I thought it wouldn't hurt to be nice and talk to my little brother. "How're you and Jasmine?"

He glanced at me then, his expression wary. "Why?"

I shrugged. "Just asking. She seems like a nice girl."

Andre hummed. "She is."

"You two official yet?"

He shook his head. "Gonna ask her tomorrow, actually."

"Cute." I smiled and he raised a brow at me.

"Are you ill?"

"No, why?"

"You're acting weird."

I laughed. "I'm weird for smiling at you?"

"Yes."

He didn't even hesitate. Damn, did I usually scowl at him that much?

Dad entered the room fully dressed. "Morning," he said in the cheery way he always did. He kissed me on the forehead and grabbed Andre's last piece of toast. Andre tutted.

"Hey, Dad. You off today?"

"Yeah, thought I'd drop this big head to school and then take my car for a wash." I loved Dad, he was such a happy man, always keeping himself busy. When he wasn't helping others, he was spending time fixing things for himself, which was rare. Even something as simple as getting his car washed; it had been such a long time since he usually drove around running errands. He was extremely helpful.

I was the complete opposite of him. I did shit for myself first and only cared about my own happiness. No wonder I was such a bitch.

They soon left and I went back to the kitchen to wash my bowl before heading back upstairs to the bathroom. It was still occupied. I released a heavy breath and knocked on the door.

"What?" Kieran's voice came again, cold and blunt.

"Are you almost done?"

I heard him grunt. "I said five minutes man, be patient."

"It's been 15 minutes. I'm running late, Kieran."

"Fucking hell. Move from the door!"

Kieran's temper was like mine, if not worse. I would snap at him too if the roles were reversed, but they weren't. I was being nice and patient but he was making my blood boil. I turned away from the door and stalked to his room. Five minutes later, I went back to the bathroom just as he was stepping out. He had his towel wrapped around his waist as he passed me. He reminded me of a wet dog. Actually, he was one. I smirked at my thoughts.

"All yours," he said.

"Thanks."

He paused and looked at me with a raised brow. I smiled back in return before entering the bathroom and shutting the door. I had a refreshing shower and then stood in front of the sink to brush my teeth. I could hear Kieran pattering around his room, then a knock came two minutes later.

"Oi, what's your problem?"

I smiled at the mirror. "What do you mean?"

"Don't be stupid, man. My work clothes are missing and you fucked up my mirror."

"Not sure I know what you're talking about."

Only I did. I'd hidden all of Kieran's smart shirts and trousers before using a permanent marker to write "FIVE MINUTES MEANS FIVE MINUTES" on his mirror.

The door rattled as Kieran banged against it. "FUCK! Rebecca, stop this now."

"I'm trying to brush my teeth, bro."

He huffed through the door. "Stop being dumb. Where are my clothes?"

"Don't know."

"I'll be fucking late, man."

"That makes two of us."

He yelled a few insults at me before stomping back to his room. I laughed to myself and spat into the sink. All my life I had expressed my irritation and anger with my mouth, but using (harmless) actions was just as effective and made me feel a lot lighter.

I was 20 minutes late to work. Aside from Kieran ruining my morning, the bus was on diversion and circled the whole of Brixton before stopping outside the station. Herman wasn't around to scold me and Nathan didn't care much since my attendance and time-keeping were usually top notch. I had left home laughing at the fact that Kieran had no choice but to go to work looking like trash. If he had chosen to look in my room, he would have found his work attire in my wardrobe, but he lacked sense and initiative. Hopefully he can pick up those skills at his job.

I had just finished serving a customer and wished them a good day when Stacey returned from the staffroom. She and Nathan had been back there alone for a while. I gave her a look.

"What?" she asked with a shy chuckle as she joined me behind the till.

"You're bright red. What happened back there?"

"Nothing I was just helping him to pick out a present for his mum since it's her birthday soon oh my God don't get any weird ideas," she rushed out breathlessly.

From the panicked reaction to the blush on her cheeks, it was clear that Stacey Coleman was flustered. I grinned at her. "You're really bad at lying."

She sighed. "Okay, we might have done something."

I leaned closer, suddenly excited. "What?" She tapped her nose and I rolled my eyes. "Really?"

"Well, you never tell me what you and Kayden get up to in the stock room."

"That's because we don't do anything besides text on our phones," I said with a shrug. "But at least I tell you all my problems, which is often because my life is a mess."

Stacey regarded me for a while and then rolled her eyes. "Fine. We kissed a little."

I gasped dramatically. "Being naughty on the job? I like it."

She laughed and her face turned an even darker shade of red. If she kept this up, she would look like a tomato. I didn't envy Stacey's pale skin; her emotions betrayed her constantly.

"Are you two dating or what?" I questioned. You never knew with these two. Stacey and Nathan would make a really cute couple and they complemented each other well, however, you'd need to have a trained eye to notice anything was going on. Some days they didn't talk at all, and other days they were joined at the hip. Today was one of those days.

She shrugged her shoulders, her eyes downcast with shyness and embarrassment. She probably didn't expect me to realise that she had disappeared for 20 odd minutes. "No, just having fun."

I perked up at that. "Fun as in...?"

"Like, literal fun just being in each other's company. Not sex," she laughed.

"Ah, I'm disappointed. Was ready for some juicy details."

"And I'm waiting for details on you and Kayden smashing."

"God forbid. I'll kill him before that happens."

Stacey burst out laughing. "Nah, you two are close. I haven't seen you have a go at him since. Speaking of which..." she leaned on the counter, her eyes suddenly on me. Stacey was back to her usual self now that she had switched to investigating my mess of a love life. "You're in a really good mood today. Are you sure nothing's happened?"

I quickly thought back to the day before. I was feeling a bit down after the car incident and Kayden had come around to cheer me up. And cheer me up he did. I recalled how nice his body felt on top of mine, the rasp of his voice in my ear, his erotic movements and his soft lips on my skin.

"Now you're the one blushing." Stacey giggled and poked my cheek. I slapped her hand away and she laughed. "But seriously, you were both off work yesterday."

"Your point?"

"Did you see him yesterday or not?"

"Briefly," I muttered.

"Interesting. Now we're getting somewhere." Stacey's body language changed, she was ready to rip into me and question my motives to within an inch of my life. There and then, she looked like a Marvel or DC villain ready to torture me.

A customer suddenly approached the till, stopping Stacey in her tracks. I breathed a sigh of relief and began scanning the items. The black woman held onto the hand of her young child and smiled amiably at me while I asked her some promotional questions.

"I don't need a gift card, thanks," she answered. "Actually, I was wondering if you had any vacancies? My daughter just left school and she's looking for a job."

Stacey and I glanced at each other and then she left the counter. "I can quickly check with my supervisor," she offered.

The woman nodded. "Thank you very much." As Stacey left, she leaned in. "What's it like working here?"

Her sudden investigative voice threw me off but I quickly recovered as I placed the items in a bag. "Like any other retail store, really. It can be quite fun and laid back, but that's because our team is so young. Hours are fairly flexible and the pay is okay, too."

She nodded. "Interesting."

"How old is your daughter?"

"Turning 17 next week."

"Oh, my age. She'd fit right in." I offered a smile as I handed her the bag. "Would you like your receipt?"

"No thanks."

"Can I work here?" her young son asked, his eyes big and hopeful.

I smiled at him. He was the cutest thing. "Of course. You can start tomorrow."

His grin was wide and the mum laughed. "He's like a little man already."

Stacey returned shortly after. "We have a vacancy for a sales assistant. Your daughter just needs to come in with her CV and we'll take it from there."

The woman's smile grew. "That's great, thanks so much." Then she looked back at me. "You were a massive help. I'll be sure to leave a good customer review." Her eyes scanned the name card on my chest. "Thank you, Rebecca."

"No worries. Have a lovely day." I looked at her son, he didn't look a day over six. "See you tomorrow for your first shift."

He nodded and waved. The mum laughed and they walked off.

"Wow," Stacey whispered in amazement. She slowly looked at me. "What's gotten into you?"

This bloody bet.

I smiled instead. "Nothing. I'm just in a good mood like you said."

"And that has nothing to do with Kayden?"

"Nope."

She gave me a look of disbelief as she reached up to tie her hair back into a ponytail. "I'm not the only bad liar, it seems."

I watched as she did her hair, my eyes stuck on her sleeve slipping down to reveal her wrist. It wasn't bruised like before. This time there was a slight gash as if she had cut herself. The skin was red and sore.

"Stacey," I said, suddenly serious.

She finished tying her hair and frowned slightly. "What?"

"Your wrist." She hastily snapped her arm to her side and yanked hard on her sleeve. Such a panicked reaction only made me even more curious. "You okay?"

"Mmhm. Just had a little accident."

I nodded slowly. "You should probably bandage that."

"Yeah." She laughed awkwardly and I leaned closer.

"Are you sure everything's okay?" I asked. I wasn't stupid, it was clear that something was going on with her. From the bruise to this cut, there was an issue in Stacey's life that she was barely coping with.

She simply nodded, tight-lipped and on edge. "I'm gonna do some price-checking," she muttered before darting off. I sighed and shook my head. We were only work friends but I wish she knew I was there for her. I also hoped one day she would stop running and face her issues or, at the very least, express her feelings. I knew exactly what it was like to feel trapped in your own bubble, refusing all help and believing that you could get by on your own. But that wasn't the case. Sometimes you really do need a shoulder to lean on.

Herman stepped in looking ready for business. Sighing inwardly, I straightened my back and offered a friendly smile.

"Long time," I said to my manager.

He smiled back, the light bouncing off his balding head. "Yeah, holiday's over, unfortunately."

I didn't even know he was on holiday. "Had a nice break?"

"Definitely." He walked around to the till and uncovered the health and safety sheets he had asked Kayden and me to fill out before. "Gonna be going through these shortly." I nodded and he told me he'd be back before disappearing into the staffroom.

Things were beginning to pick up. It was around lunch time so the streets were flooded with people on their lunch break, which meant more footfall in our store. I noticed a familiar pair enter and felt my blood boil. Shanay and Hayden walked hand-in-hand as they approached the women's section. I watched as she picked out a couple of tracksuits and held them against her legs, asking Hayden for his approval. Look at them, acting like they were London's top couple. It made me sick.

I refrained from looking at them before I made myself agitated. It wasn't like I could do anything about it; for the next six days, I had to be nice.

It wasn't long before they approached the till. Shanay grimaced when her eyes fell on me. I held out my hand to take the folded Adidas tracksuit but she slammed it down on the counter instead. I watched in astonishment and blinked before my eyes met Shanay's burning glare.

I cleared my throat and picked up the tracksuit bottoms, scanning it through the till and noticing the message on the screen.

"This item has been reduced, so that's thirty-five pounds, please."

Hayden's eyes scrutinised me as he took two £20 notes out of his pocket. Then he placed it on the counter before sliding it over to me. These two were so fucking strange. Fair enough we don't like each other, but at least act normal in an environment like this, otherwise it becomes awkward.

"Thanks," I said, picking up the notes and holding them up to the light.

"What, you think my money's fake?" Hayden grunted.

"Standard procedure," I explained before opening the till and putting the notes in.

Shanay kissed her teeth. "Listen to her. Like she's the fucking manager."

I gave her a tight smile as I handed back the change. "Actually, as a sales assistant, it's important to check for counterfeit notes. You'd know about it if you still had a job."

Shanay's brows furrowed. We hadn't spoken in a few weeks but I'd heard through the grapevine (Chris) that she had been fired from her part-time job at Tesco.

"Fuck you," she spat.

I smiled and processed the transaction before slipping the tracksuit bottoms in the bag. Usually, I would have retorted and probably jumped over the counter to punch her face in, but this bet was restraining me from doing anything rash. It was hard to take Shanay's swear on the chin but I couldn't let Kayden win this bet. I had to prove to him and myself that I could be kind to people, even those who didn't deserve it.

Once the receipt was printed and placed in the bag, I held it over the counter. Shanay snatched it from me, her face scrunched in disdain. She and Hayden turned to walk away.

"Have a nice day," I said with an amiable smile.

She shot me a glare. "I will, with my man. It's our anniversary so we're spending the day together. He's treating me."

"Nice," I said.

"You'd know if you still had a man."

I genuinely laughed. "Stealing lines, now?"

"Don't think I don't know about Leon cheating on you. He was trash and I tried to warn you but you never listened. Now look at you: single and desperate to make other people feel bad about themselves."

Despite her harsh words, I smiled. "You know how ironic this is?" I looked to Hayden, who sneered in return. "Tell her."

Hayden's frown deepened. "Tell her what?"

I scoffed. "Like you don't know." My eyes were on Shanay again. "Since you don't like to take my word for it, ask Hayden who he was with a couple of Tuesdays ago."

She looked at him then, her lip curling slightly. They watched each other for a few seconds as if having a silent conversation, before she turned back to me. "No. I don't need to listen to you. I know he was with his family in Leicester on Tuesday." She smirked. "Why do you feel the need to lie on my man? Are you jealous or something?"

I couldn't believe how much credit she gave this cheating scumbag. Instead of getting riled up like last time, I nodded. "Yeah, that's exactly what it is. I'm jealous of you two."

She laughed. "At least you admit it." She grabbed Hayden's hand. "Come, babe. Let's leave her." Hayden obediently followed her out the shop and I found myself grinding my teeth. If I didn't have any self-control I would have grabbed her by the weave and slammed her head against the counter. But it was better this way. I was still doing well.

Kayden stepped in not long after. As usual, I took in his appearance as he made his star boy entrance. He wore his Footlocker uniform, his hair still neat from when I did it the day before, and all black Air Force 1's. His eyes fell on me instantly and he approached the till. The closer he got, the faster my heart thumped. Just seeing him made me feel weak. Images of yesterday flashed in my mind and I wet my lips before he came close enough.

"Rebecca," he greeted formally.

"Kayden," I said with a nod.

He leaned on the counter, his face inches from mine. His scent clouded my nose and I moved back slightly to prevent myself from being overwhelmed so soon.

"Have you been a good girl?"

The way he said it in such low tones made my body tense. "Yes," I said through clenched teeth.

He smiled. "Are you sure?"

"You can ask Stacey if you don't believe me."

He watched me for a second. "Nah, I'll take your word for it." Suddenly he pulled a small plastic bag out of his jacket pocket and placed it on the counter. "I have something for you."

My heart thumped but I quickly recovered before he noticed me falter. I gave him a wry smile. "It's not crack cocaine, is it?"

He smirked. "Even better."

"Better than crack? Hmm."

He untied the bag. "I stopped off somewhere before coming here."

"Wait." I held my hand up. "This is why you were ten minutes late? You were buying me a gift?"

He laughed. "It's more like a gift for myself."

I grabbed the bag and peered inside, retrieving the item and pulling it out slowly. I was surprised that it was so soft. Then I realised what it was: a pair of fluffy black handcuffs. I quickly pushed it back in the bag before glaring at him. "You bought me handcuffs?" I hissed quietly.

Kayden's sexy smile fuelled my anger even more. "I did."

"Why would y–...?" I paused at the smug look on his face and immediately understood. "You're sick."

Humour danced in his eyes as he analysed me. "When you lose this bet, I'm gonna use them on you. Might even get you some lingerie. Make you walk around wearing it, take pictures." He leaned even closer, his warm breath on my ear. "Fondle you in it," he whispered. My breath hitched and I swallowed hard, shaking my head. "I touch you wherever I want for as long as I want, remember? You'd have no choice but to listen to me." He pulled back then, licking his lips and eyeing me as if he could picture me in them already. I felt small under his gaze.

"You won't win anyway," I muttered, moving away from the counter. I almost got sucked into his erotic teasing, right here in the middle of Footlocker, during work. He really was the devil.

"We'll see." He picked the plastic bag up and stuffed it back into his jacket pocket. "Be prepared to have your thighs shake again." I froze and was captivated by his cheeky smile and mysterious eyes. His words alone made me tremble while his gaze pulled me in. I was practically hypnotised.

"Ah, Kayden." Herman came from the staffroom with sheets of paper in his hand, instantly breaking our trance. "Nice of you to turn up."

Kayden's face suddenly turned professional again. He gave a small smile. "Yeah, sorry I'm late. There was a lot of traffic."

What a liar.

Herman hummed and thrust the sheets of paper to Kayden's chest. "Top marks on the health and safety quiz. Good work." He handed mine over as well. "You too, Rebecca. Well done."

"Thanks," I said, looking over the papers.

"Do we get a prize?" Kayden asked.

Herman chuckled. "Most I can give is a fiver."

"I know you're rolling in money, Herman."

He laughed then. Even he was prone to falling for Kayden's charm. "You'd think so, but no. And there's no prize. Just know that you're both capable of being supervisors one day." He patted Kayden on the shoulder. "Now you just need to pass your probation."

Kayden cracked his knuckles. "Cool. Be ready to write up my contract for when I pass."

We finished work four hours later. I yawned and crossed the road with Kayden as we took our usual route home. I noticed he had a stupid look on his face.

"What are you so happy about?" I asked.

He didn't need to say anything. He just tapped his jacket pocket.

I quickly remembered what was in the plastic bag and kissed my teeth. "You take things way too far."

He laughed and checked his watch. "It's only five o'clock. Wanna chill at mine?"

I shrugged and agreed since I didn't have anything else planned. I was pretty much caught up with my coursework and I knew I'd only sit around watching shows if I went straight home. I dropped Dad a quick text that I'd be home later and we caught the bus to Kayden's house.

We were a stop away when Kayden said, "Kamar keeps asking for you."

My neck could've snapped with how fast I turned to him, heart racing. "Why? What does he want?"

Kayden showed me his phone screen. I saw the text from Kamar from three minutes ago:

— Yh that's all been taken care of. What's good wid Rebecca tho? She kl?

I grimaced at the message. I knew exactly why he was asking for me. He obviously wanted to know if I'd said anything about the car accident. Truthfully, I hadn't said a word to anyone and I didn't plan to—not even to Kayden. It wasn't for Kamar's benefit; I was just too shaken up and paranoid to involve myself in such a crazy situation.

But that didn't stop me from worrying about the girl. I spent most of the night before looking through news outlets to see if there were any stories of a young teenager being knocked down. I'd eventually come across one posted on the South London Press that detailed the incident. No car had been discovered at the scene but the girl was in a stable condition. She hadn't been named. I decided to accept the fact that as long as she was fine and healing, I wouldn't pry any further. If she had died, I would have snitched in a heartbeat.

"Maybe he likes me," I said instead to throw him off.

Kayden didn't take the joke well. His brows furrowed as he quickly replied to the text and stuffed his phone into his pocket. "Nah, he knows the deal."

I raised a brow. "And what deal is that?"

His expression softened. "Do you need to ask?"

He was always so cryptic it annoyed me. Although, sometimes he was too straightforward and that got my back up too. Everything about him pissed me off and enticed me at the same time.

We were part of a large group stepping off the bus. Bodies pushed and shoved, and someone nudged into me, jerking my hand and causing my phone to drop on the concrete. I stared down at it for a second in disbelief. Heated anger flared in my blood.

"Ah shit." Kayden bent down to pick it up. The screen was completely smashed.

I turned to whoever had shoved me and saw a burly white man stalking off as the bus pulled away from the curb. That motherfuc–

"It's fixable," Kayden said. "Don't worry."

I allowed my violent thoughts to subside and shut my eyes, inhaling for five seconds and then breathing out before opening them again. I forced a smile. "Yeah."

Kayden looked amazed as we continued down the road to his house. "You're doing well," he said.

"I'm not losing this bet," I muttered. If I'd gone after the man and started a fight, it would be an instant loss for me. Kayden would be quick to celebrate his victory by putting me in those stupid handcuffs. The idea seemed like hell on earth, so I'd prevent it from happening at all costs.

The delectable smell of curry goat greeted me as we stepped inside the house. I sighed dreamily.

"I came on the right day," I said. Kayden laughed and was about to help me out of my jacket like he always did. Then he stopped himself. The realisation on his face tickled me. "Did you almost touch me?"

"Force of habit," he said with a sigh. He was so close to losing the bet. Turns out I wasn't the only one suffering. "Mum," he called out, "Rebecca's here."

Kayden's mum emerged from the steaming kitchen looking younger than ever. She was so voluptuous and youthful that she could pass as his older sister.

She flashed a polite smile and flung the dish towel over her shoulder carelessly. "Nice to see you again, Rebecca. Dinner will be ready soon. You staying?"

I nodded without hesitation. "Smells delicious, I have to sample it. Thanks, Ms Brooks."

She gasped dramatically. "Oh hell no. Call me Shariah. You make me feel hella old."

I burst out laughing at her vocabulary. Meanwhile, Kayden looked pained.

"Mum," he muttered, sounding exhausted already.

She chuckled and gazed at me. "I hope you've been keeping him in line at work."

"All the time."

"That's what I like to hear. You have my permission to give him a beating if he deserves it."

"That so?" I smirked at Kayden who rolled his eyes.

When we reached his room, he went straight to his drawers while I switched on the TV and took a seat on his bed.

"Your mum is a g," I commented with a chuckle, flicking through channels.

Kayden didn't respond. Instead, he removed his work shirt and threw it onto the office chair. My laughing stopped as I admired his naked back. The muscles beneath his smooth skin flexed as he reached in to grab a replacement.

"My parents live to embarrass me," he drawled as he turned to me. I gulped at his firm pecs and almost whimpered in protest as he slid on a Nike tee. Then he changed into a pair of joggers, finally looking comfortable and relaxed. Kayden joined me on the bed and pulled back the covers. I saw him lying down and getting comfy in the corner of my eye. "Lie with me," he said.

"I thought I came here to chill, not sleep."

"Either one is fine." He looked tired, but his lidded gaze enticed me. "This works in your favour since I can't touch you anyway."

That made me perk up. He was right, there was no possibility of me being drawn into his sensual teasing. I could lie down and actually relax for a change. I kicked my trainers off and pulled the covers back before sliding into the bed, my body shivering at the welcoming warmth. I sighed loudly and yawned. It was early evening but I was exhausted.

"You don't mind me wearing outside clothes in your bed?"

He shrugged. "I was going to wash the sheets anyway." Then his eyes softened when he analysed me. "Tired?"

"Of your bullshit, yes." He laughed and I smiled. "Yeah, a little," I mumbled truthfully. "You?"

He yawned as well. "Yeah. Dunno why."

I felt a vibration in my pocket and pulled my phone out. Then I saw the state of it. The screen was in tatters because of that man on the bus. Because of his impatience, I'll have to fork out money to replace the screen. The text message from Leon made me feel even worse.

— I wanna see u tomorrow. Just hear me out and we can see where things go
After this I'll leave u alone. Please?

I sighed. I have to be nice. I have to be a better version of myself and give him a chance to explain. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Well ... I don't have to, but it's all part of the act, right?

I tapped out a response.

— Okay. I'm free from 2pm.
We can meet somewhere public.

I felt Kayden's body shift closer but our bodies still didn't connect. I looked at him with a teasing smile.

He scowled. "Shut up."

"I didn't even say anything!"

"You don't have to." Then he inched even closer and I stiffened.

"If you touch me, it's all over," I warned.

His face was even closer now. "My hands aren't gonna touch you," he muttered. I swallowed as he rested up on his elbows and brought his face to mine. "My lips are," he whispered. He pecked me on the lips and it quickly turned into a slow kiss. I shut my eyes and sighed. I knew there was a catch!

As his tongue stroked mine, I thought back to the initial agreement.

"I have a better idea: I'll try being kind to people for a week, but there can't be any physical contact between us either."

"I can't touch you?"

"Nope. Your hands can't touch me."

Why did I say his hands?! That didn't stop him from touching me with his lips.

My annoyance quickly subsided and I wrapped my hands around the nape of his neck, pulling him deeper into the kiss. His warm tongue slid against mine while his body inched even closer. We were touching now, chest to chest, mouth to mouth. He slowly pulled away and I panted, taking in how delectable he looked.

"If this were any other day I'd rip your clothes off," he whispered.

Oh. I cleared my throat and rubbed my eyes.

His smile was gentle. "Get some sleep."

"I need to go home soon."

Kayden pulled the covers up further. "I'll wake you in an hour."

"I can't," I said with a yawn as my eyes closed. His bed was unbelievably comfortable, I was too powerless to open my eyes. Plus, I was exhausted from a hard day's work, and I didn't just mean Footlocker...

Kayden

I couldn't help but stare at Rebecca as she slept. Her features were soft and petite and her lips parted slightly as she breathed through her mouth. She was a peaceful sleeper—the complete opposite of when she was conscious. I kissed her on the forehead and made sure she was tucked in properly before getting up and leaving the room, heading into Zaine's instead. He was still out and about with Dad; I just needed a space to chill for a second without waking Ree up. I got my phone out my pocket and called Christian. He answered on the third ring.

"Hey."

I laughed at the way Christian answered all of his calls. "Yo, what you on?"

"My bed."

"You know what I mean, man."

"Well, if you mean what am I doing, I'm watching Supernanny."

I raised a brow. "What?"

"It's sick, man! Jo Frost disciplines these little bastards and makes them good again."

I ran a hand over my fresh cornrows and sighed. "I know what Supernanny is."

"You need to watch this season man, it's dope. Actually, you'll need to learn how to discipline your kids when the time comes. Probably got some on the way since you like to hoe around."

I couldn't help but laugh. Out of the group, I was always seen with the most girls but that didn't mean I fucked all of them. I was a bit wild for a few years but that's all changed now. "Fuck you. I'm three months celibate now."

"All I'm saying is don't be surprised when someone comes knocking on your door in six months claiming child support, bro."

"I'm not Nic, I use condoms."

Chris laughed. "There's no hope for that prick either."

I needed to cut to the chase. "So when are we doing this ting?"

"We're rounding up at Ken's tomorrow then hitting Shepherd's Bush after. That's what happens when you don't answer your phone, you don't know shit."

"Shut up, man."

"We barely even see you anymore. You're whipped, Tempz. She's got you wrapped around her finger."

"So what if she does?"

Chris sighed. "Thought it was bros before hoes?"

"Rebecca's not a hoe, and I couldn't give a shit about any of you." I checked the time on my phone. I'd let her sleep a little bit longer before I woke her up, but I still had some stuff to do. "I'm gone."

"Already? Here's me thinking you wanted to have an actual conversation for once."

I noticed his whiny tone. "What's your problem?"

"We never just sit down and talk anymore, man. It's not nice. Always using me for information."

"That's all your good for," I grunted.

"It's always about what you want. What about what I want, fam?"

I kissed my teeth. This drama queen. "See you tomorrow." Then I locked off. Once I got back to my room, I noticed Rebecca had shifted in her sleep and her top had risen slightly, exposing the underside of her bra. It was a deep purple colour. I suddenly forgot what I had gone in the room for as I approached the bed and brought the covers back up again. If I stared any longer, I'd be tempted to touch her.

Then I sat and watched her. If she'd woken up at that moment, she'd see me staring as she slept and would get freaked out, but I didn't care. Rebecca was the type of overwhelming beauty that demanded attention even as she slept. She looked adorable at that moment, snoring gently with her brows twitching in the midst of a dream. It took me a while to realise exactly how special she was to me. I felt like I needed her around me all the time. She knew I liked her, but that was only half of it. Rebecca didn't know that there was something deep and strong that I felt for her and it was residing in the bottom of my chest. If I let her know the truth, it might scare her away. Plus, it was the last thing she needed since she was fresh out of a relationship. What we were doing right now—kissing and touching and enjoying each other's company—that was enough for me.

"What are you doing to me?" I whispered.

She grumbled in her sleep and scratched her face.

I smiled and lay back down, looking at her some more. She was truly beautiful, no one else came close. The more she was around me, the stronger my urge to take her became. Now I couldn't keep my lips off her. Rebecca wanted to keep this friendship pure but it was only a matter of time before I made her mine. I'll prove to her how much she means to me ... that's if she'll let me.

Becca

I glanced around unimpressed. I'd said we could meet in public, but Nando's wasn't at the forefront of my mind. In fact, I'd rather be anywhere else.

It sucked. After spending yesterday evening with Kayden, having dinner at his, kissing in bed and talking into early hours of the morning, I thought we were getting somewhere. That was until he didn't turn up to work today and busied my call. Now that I knew he was involved in some dodgy business, it made me worry even more.

To top it all off, I was stuck in a restaurant eating food I didn't even fancy with a guy I couldn't stand.

"You not hungry?"

My resentful gaze rested on Leon as my fork stabbed at the peri-salted chips on my plate. I ate it and chewed, still watching him.

He sighed and placed his cutlery down. "Can you at least talk to me?"

I knew that if I opened my mouth now, I would only say awful things. But I couldn't lose this bet, so I had to steel myself. I swallowed and took a sip of my water before clearing my throat. "How have you been?"

Leon blinked, taken back by the question. I knew he expected me to cuss him to within an inch of his life by now. All of this negative energy that was harbouring inside me ... it had to remain. He quickly recovered, throwing a chip into his mouth. "Been alright. You?"

"Same here."

Leon's eyes searched mine and he leaned closer. "I miss you."

I sighed. "I've come to hear you out. So say whatever you need to say."

His brows furrowed and he stared down at his plate. "This whole time I've thought about the best way to apologise but I realised sorry won't cut it. I was just greedy and selfish, wanted more when I already had all I needed." His brown eyes rested on me again. "Not gonna lie, Rebecca, I just wanted to see your face again. Now that you're here, I miss you. Even though you're sitting right there, I miss you so much."

I put my fork down, suddenly feeling nauseous. "You lied to me," I said. "You made me look like a fool. I can't forgive something like that."

He nodded. "Yeah, I know."

"I don't need closure or anything. I don't even want to be here, but I wanted to know what you'd say."

I watched him swallow hard, his lips parting slightly. Leon was always handsome but right now he looked slightly rugged. The look suited him, but being around Kayden all the time meant that I wouldn't swoon for someone like Leon. "Don't you miss me?" he whispered.

"Honestly? I did at first, but not anymore."

He nodded slowly. "Someone occupying your time?" I raised a brow and he helplessly shrugged a shoulder. "I don't blame you for moving on so quickly."

"Who said I moved on?"

"That yout from before," he muttered.

I remembered Kayden taking the phone from me while we were in bed. He'd told Leon to fuck off and Leon had yelled down the phone. I also remembered how nice Kayden made me feel that day, and how angry Leon had sounded through the speaker.

"He's a friend," I said. "Not that I have to explain myself."

Leon hummed. Suddenly his eyes drifted from mine to look at something behind me. Then he stiffened. Confused, I followed his gaze and glanced behind me, but I only saw a big black man stood outside the building watching Leon intently through the window. I turned back to Leon who looked mortified.

"What just happened?" I asked.

Leon swallowed hard and retrieved his phone from his pocket. "Sorry, I need to make a call." He said before getting up and walking over to the table of sauces. Despite him moving away, I could still make out some of what he was saying. Something about M finally making his move.

I couldn't care less, though.

It wasn't long before Leon suggested we leave. I knew it was because of the man outside, but I decided not to question it. Leon wasn't my man anymore, whatever he got up to in his spare time had nothing to do with me, and vice versa.

We walked down the road in silence on the way to the bus stop.

"Thanks for the food," I managed to say, despite me not eating even half of it.

Leon merely glanced at me. "You've changed."

"How so?"

"You're just ... different. It suits you."

Don't talk too soon.

I gave a light shrug.

Leon sighed and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Surprised you even gave me the time of day."

We reached the bus stop and I checked the countdown times. My bus was coming in five minutes, which meant I had to spend more time with him.

"Don't think this changes anything," I warned him.

He nodded. "I know."

"You said you'd leave me alone after this." I looked at him. "Did you mean that?"

Leon scratched his face and shrugged again. "After today, I don't think so."

I appreciated that he was honest for once. "We're over, Leon."

He glanced at the people at the bus stop and gently tugged my arm so we stood further away. Clearly, he didn't want people to overhear me breaking up with him a second time. "Me and Olivia don't talk."

"Aw, what a shame."

He frowned. "I dropped her after what happened. Haven't spoken to her since. I told her I only want you."

"And what did she say?"

"What could she say?"

I shook my head. "What we had was good, but the way you handled everything ... and even shouting at me over the phone, being all possessive and violent ... I don't want any of that."

"I'll change. I'll do better."

I looked into those earnest eyes and slowly shook my head. "I don't want you to. I just don't want you, Leon."

His nostrils flared as he sighed. "It really is because of that guy, init? Otherwise things would be different."

"Not really. I just don't take being cheated on very well, y'know?"

"Leon!"

We both glanced at the mixed-race girl who had called his name as she approached us. Her auburn hair was packed into a high bun and her eyes were a light hazel colour. She waved as she got closer and Leon went rigid.

"You alright, Chloe?" he asked.

She smiled and leaned in for a one-armed hug. "Yeah, you?"

"Yeah yeah."

Her smile faded as she looked at me. "Who's this?"

I raised a brow.

"Rebecca," Leon answered for me. He knew better than to call me his girlfriend.

She gave me a once-over. "Oh," she muttered before turning back to him. I felt my knuckles twitch with the need to punch her in the nose. "Where've you been? I tried calling you bare times."

Leon's jaw tensed. "Not now, yeah?"

Her head tilted in confusion. "What, so we're done?"

I gave Leon a quizzical look and he swallowed hard. When he didn't say anything I breathed out a laugh. "Are you for real?"

The girl shot me a glare. "Mind your business."

My hand clenched into a fist. I just about stopped myself from jabbing her.

I stepped back to glare at Leon instead. "So it wasn't just Olivia?" I asked him.

Leon glanced down at the pavement. I had my answer.

The girl looked between us and then back at him. "Is she your girl or something?"

"No," I said with a tight smile. "He's all yours." Just as I walked away from them, the bus pulled up. I ignored Leon calling after me as I stepped on and tapped my oyster card. Then our eyes locked as the bus drove away.

I sat at the bottom deck and flexed my fists, relieved that mine and Leon's relationship was over for good. However, the fact that I had to stand there and be disrespected by that girl made my blood boil.

Only five more days, Rebecca. You've got this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 117 24
Cataleya is a traumatized 19 year old after her last relationship ended with her in tears and covered in blood. Everything at this point pointless. A...
2.1K 48 28
True to love there is always betrayal. Betrayal is to love as Boy is to Girl. Or in this case Vampire is to Woman. The Queens favorite has betraye...
strayed By Neelima pradhan

Mystery / Thriller

5.8K 215 18
Nora, a beautiful and independent girl falls for neil, a smart and spunky guy and they start dating leading to a marriage. The marriage turns out to...
120 6 6
A group of teens and young adults dealing with their pasts and new dangers heading for them