Wolf of Darkness ||A Lord of...

By TwoWritersWriting

Aaron, being a Skin-changer, made life hard. Her own parents didn't want her and left her at the Elves' doors... More

Prologue
Chapter 1; Home at Last
Chapter 2; Friends and a Quest
Chapter 3; A Coming of Age Party
Chapter 4; Bree
Chapter 5; Watchtower
Chapter 6; The Chase
Chapter 7; The Council of Elrond
Chapter 8; Defeat Smaug with Bard's Arrow
Chapter 9; Mordor Left or Right?
Chapter 10; The Mines of Moria
Chapter 11; The Bridge of Khazad-dûm
Chapter 12; Lothlórien
Chapter 13; Dreams
Chaptet 14; Anduin
Chapter 15; Boromir's Death
Chapter 16; Forsaken Hope
Chapter 17; Dreams and Edoras
Chapter 18; A Ruined World
Chapter 19; Free of Pain
Chapter 20; There's Always Hope
Chapter 21; So It Begins
Chapter 22; The Battle for Middle-earth is About to Begin
Chapter 24; Palantir and Gondor
Chapter 25; The Decline of Gondor
Chapter 26; Hope is Kindled
Chapter 27; Parents and To War
Chapter 28; All Shall Fade
Chapter 29; We Fight
Chapter 30; Captain
Chapter 31; Family Reunion
Chapter 32; A Diversion
Chapter 33; Heritage
Chapter 34; Today We Fight
Chapter 35; For Frodo
Chapter 36; The Last Chapter
Epilogue
Announcements: Part 1
Clearing Some Possible Confusion

Chapter 23; Isengard Defeated, Let's Celebrate

4.2K 106 18
By TwoWritersWriting

The Return of the King; Disc 1

Chapter 23; Isengard Defeated, Let's Celebrate

~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~>

It was high noon the next day when they rode through Fangorn safely to Isengard. Sing and laughing could be heard from afar. Aaron could smell smoke of a fine weed. She guessed it to be from the South Farthing, she couldn't tell what type though. Around another bend brought them before the ruins of a wall, that had once surrounded the tower of Orthanc. Water rose up and down inside the wall. A ramp not too big but not so small that a horse couldn't cross it, had been placed against the broken wall and down into the water on the other side. Atop a rock formation protruding out of the wall, sat two Hobbits. One with dark brown curly hair and another with lighter brown almost sandy and a bit straighter hair. A pipe in each hand and a flask of ale in the other. They were laughing and singing and just plain being their drunkin selves. It was hard not to get a smile when seeing them, sitting there all happy and so.

"It's good." One said not seeing the riders yet. "Definitely from the Shire. Longbottom Leaf."

Yes, that is what it is.

"I feel like I'm back at The Green Dragon." Said the other.

"Hmm...Green Dragon."

"A mug of ale in my hand. Putting my feet up on a settle after a hard day's work."

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." The other Hobbit nodded his head before they both started laughing and being once again...merry. Aaron gave Lore a slight nudge in the thigh and he gave out a neigh. The Hobbits looked up at the rider, now practically in front of them. The Hobbits faces lit up and Merry stood, with some difficulty. "Welcome, my lords...and lady..." Aaron gave him a smirk. "...to Isengard!"

"Or what's left of it." Aaron muttered to Aragorn beside her. He just smiled and kept looking at the Hobbits.

"You young rascals!" Gimli yelled. "A merry hunt you've led us on...and now we find you feasting and...and smoking."

"We are sitting on a field of victory...enjoying a few well-earned comforts." Pippin informed them. "The salted pork is particularly good."

"Salted pork?" Gimli said with a hint of jealousy. Gandalf, Aaron was pretty sure, shook his head before saying under his breath:

"Hobbits."

"We are under orders from Treebeard..." Merry started. "...who has now taken management of Isengard." Aaron rode Lore up beside the Hobbits and took a piece of their salted pork.

"Aaron that's my piece!" Pippin explained. Aaron took a bite. "I...I guess not anymore." She shook her head with a smile.

"He's not lying, Gimli. 'The salted pork is particularly good.'" Gimli gave a grunt, and showed a little more jealousy. "Come you. Let's go see this walking, talking tree." Aaron smiled a little more and grabbed Merry's arm. She helped him onto Lore's back, while Aragorn picked up Pippin. Gandalf, still shaking his head and muttering, walked up the ramp and down into the water. King Théoden followed then Éomer, Legolas and Gimli, Aragorn, then Aaron.

"Are we coming back with you?" Merry asked quietly.

"I believe so. Do you want to stay with Treebeard?" Aaron answered.

"Not really, but I guess I shouldn't be so hasty on those things." He gave a chuckle at his own joke and Pippin who had apparently heard him say this started to laugh silently behind Aragorn.

The water was only up to the horses knees, it wouldn't have passed Aaron's waist. Although, the Hobbits it was up to their chests. Such a size difference.

"Young Master Gandalf." Treebeard said as the riders approached. Aaron didn't find Gandalf young,

but I guess in the eyes of a couple century old tree, he's young.

"I'm glad you've come." Treebeard continued. "Wood and water, stock and stone I can master. But there's a Wizard to mange here..." He nodded with his leafy head toward the tower behind him. "...locked in his tower."

"Show yourself." Aragorn whispered.

"Be careful." Gandalf told him. "Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous."

"Well, let's just have his head and be done with it." Gimli said and Aaron half-heartily agreed with him. The other half was following Gandalf, you could say she was a bit confused on who to go with.

"No." Gandalf answered sternly. "We need him alive. We need him to talk." Gandalf looked the tower up and down before a voice rung through the air.

"You have fought many wars and slain many men, Théoden King..." It said. Aaron already knew who it was and had her hand resting on her sword hilt. "...and made peace afterwards." Everyone's eyes were now on the roof of Orthanc were a Wizard in white stood over looking them.

"Saruman." Aaron muttered so quietly even Merry didn't hear her.

"Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace, you and I?"

"We shall have peace." Théoden said. "We shall have peace...when you answer for the burning of the Westfold...and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers...whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead...against the gates of the Hornburg, are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of you own crows...we shall have peace."

"Gibbet and crows? Dotard! What do you want, Gandalf Greyhame? Let me guess. The key of Orthanc. Or perhaps the Keys of Barad-dúr itself...along with the crowns of the seven kings and the rods of the five Wizards!"

"Your treachery has already cost many lives." Gandalf said almost calmly. "Thousands more are now at risk. But you can save them, Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's counsel."

"So you have come here for information. I have some for you." He pulled out a black orb from within his garnets. Aaron was just about as confused as every other Man and Hobbit. Gandalf though had a stern face. "Something festers in the heart of Middle Earth. Something you have failed to see. But the Great Eye has seen it. Even now he presses his advantage." Gandalf tapped Shadowfax's side and he walked forward. "His attack will come soon. You're all going to die. But you know this, don't you, Gandalf? You cannot think that this Ranger will ever sit upon the throne of Gondor." Aaron felt anger inside her heart grow for Saruman. She now wanted his head and be done with it. "This exile, crept from the shadows, will never be crowned king. Gandalf does not hesitate to sacrifice those closest to him...those he professes to love." Aaron thought this over, he was all wrong.

If Gandalf did not care for us he would not have come back, he would not have gone on this journey. Of course he said he had been sent back but I believe he wanted to come back. He wants to save the world of its death.

"Tell me, what words of comfort did you give the Halfling...before you sent him to his doom? The path that you have set him on can only lead to death."

"I've heard enough!" Gimli, to Aaron surprise, said. "Shoot him." He nudged Legolas. "Stick an arrow in his gob." Aaron raised her eyebrows and Legolas went to grab an arrow.

"No." Gandalf said. "Come down, Saruman...and your life will be spared."

"Save your pity and your mercy." Saruman spat back. "I have no use for it!" He picked up his staff and fired down upon Gandalf some kind of fire ball with the light of the sun. It landed on Gandalf. Aaron couldn't see very well, cause she was having to shield her eyes. Lore, beneath her backed up and trotted in place. When the light was gone, Aaron half-expected Gandalf to be gone with it. But there he was, looking unhurt and almost a bit mad.

"Saruman..." Who was looking about as shocked as everyone else. "...your staff is broken." And it was. The staff burst to pieces in his hands. A pale creature walked up behind the staffless Saruman.

"Gríma," Théoden said, "you need not follow him. You were not always as you are now. You were once a Man of Rohan. Come down." Gríma gave a bow and started to back up.

"A Man of Rohan?" Saruman said. "What is the house of Rohan...but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek...and their brats roll on the floor with the dogs? The victory at Helm's Deep does not belong to you, Théoden Horse-master. You are a lesser son of greater sires." Aaron stopped herself from becoming too anger. Her hand was gripping her hilt hard she wasn't noticing.

"Gríma..." Théoden said again, "come down. Be free of him."

"Free? He will never be free."

"No." Gríma said quietly. Saruman turned to him.

"Get down, cur!" He slapped his hand across Gríma's face knocking him to the ground.

"Saruman!" Gandalf said sternly. "You were deep in the enemy's counsel. Tell us what you know!"

"You withdraw your guard, and I will tell you where your doom will be decided. I will not be held prisoner here." Gríma came back into view with a short dagger in his hand. He stabbed it into Saruman's back repeatedly. Both Aaron and Legolas grabbed an arrow, attached it to the string and released at the same time. The arrows flew through the air and both hit their targets, which was the same exact place: Gríma's heart. He fell to the ground as Saruman fell off the tower. He fell and fell until he landed on a water wheel spike. It drove through his chest and wasn't the pretties sight. Behind Aaron, Merry's head turned away, with a look of disgust.

"Killed by his own machinery." He muttered as Aaron felt his head press into her back and his grip tighten around her waist.

"Send word to all our allies..." Gandalf said to Théoden. "...and to every corner of Middle Earth that still stands free. The enemy moves against us. We need to know where he will strike." The water wheel started to turn and Saruman soon disappeared under the water.

"The filth of Saruman..." Treebeard said, "is washing away. Trees will come back to live here. Young trees." Pippin jumped off Brego's back and into the water. "Wild trees."

"Pippin!" Aragorn called after him. He didn't seem to hear him, his eyes were fixed on something in the water. Aaron didn't know what he was seeing but whatever it was he was very attracted to it. He reached down and pulled up a black round rock. No, it was the orb. Black with white swirling around it. He was fascinated by it, he didn't even notice Gandalf ride up long side him.

"Bless my bark!" Treebeard said.

"Peregrin Took!" Gandalf said a little louder. The Hobbit hadn't heard him the first time. Pippin looked up at him. "I'll take that, my lad. Quickly, now." Pippin handed it to him and Gandalf gave him a look. Pippin looked down but as Gandalf rode away but he looked back at him, with a longing on his face.

"Come now, Pippin." Aragorn said lifting him back onto Brego. "Let's ride to Edoras, shall we?" Pippin gave a nod and Aragorn push Brego forward with a squeeze. Aaron followed behind with Merry.

It was strange for Aaron to be riding back to Edoras. Something about it made it feel almost like home. Maybe it was the horses. Or Éowyn waiting, to welcome them home. She didn't know. But she knew that she hadn't felt like this when they had first arrived. Now, instead of riding through gloomy street, the lords and lady of Rohan rode through streets of happiness and laughter. Every child ran about just as joyful as it's grandparents. A smiled never left Aaron's face as they rode up to the Golden Hall. Once inside the happiness continued.

Éowyn brought forward a cup to the king as he stood before his throne. He took it and raised it out. Everyone stood up, and raised their cups. Aaron was far in the back trying her best to stay unnoticed. Aragorn had told her she had to stay human for the night of celebration. Never before had Aaron actually missed being a wolf and being free, but...she did it for him. She also did it for herself. She knew her ways were still an animal's ways. She had a hard time not diving into the plate of meat that would be placed before her. Or to eat the green grass. As a hawk she ate rodents and snakes. She didn't have a problem staying away from those, they tasted disgusting even as a hawk.

"Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country." Théoden said. "Hail the victorious dead."

"Hail!" Everyone yelled and drank. Then the party was under way. Aaron stayed far as possible from the everything. This wasn't her, and she, Aragorn, and Gandalf knew it. She felt out of place and like an outcast. They didn't know how to comfort her, she took their help with a kind heart but everything they said really just went in one ear and out the other. She finally found herself leaning against a post behind Legolas. He and Gimli were about to have a drinking game, and Éomer was in charge.

"No pauses." He said giving the two rules there were. "No spills." He handed the two each a mug.

"And no regurgitation." Gimli added. Aaron gave a chuckle.

"So it's a drinking game?" Legolas asked almost afraid of the answer.

"What?" Aaron asked making the males look at her. "Do you not drink. Your father is like the "King of wine"."

"Wine. Not whatever this is." He showed her the mug. He put it to his nose and smelled it.

"Last one standing wins." Gimli said already sounding drunk. Legolas nearly closed his eyes as he took a drink.

"What'll we drink to?" Said a soldier behind Aaron.

"Let's drink to victory!" Said another.

"To victory!" Another yelled. They cheered and drank from the mugs. Aaron already felt sick and she hadn't even taken a sip. A smell, yes, but not a drink. She could smell all the different flavors and kinds and she didn't need her wolf nose to do it. Something caught her eye and at first she didn't see what it was. Then she saw Éowyn walking toward Aragorn with a cup of wine. They walked toward each other and Aragorn took the cup being offered. He didn't say anything and even if he did Aaron couldn't hear over the laughing men. She took a few step back and looked at them, again. Aragorn gave a small nod of the head and walked away. Then Théoden walked forward.

"I am happy for you." He said. Éowyn smiled and looked down. "He is an honorable man."

And already has someone.

"You are both honorable men." She answered.

"It was not Théoden of Rohan who led our people to victory." He looked like he was going to say more but decided against it. "Don't listen to me. You are young. And tonight is for you." He walked away and Aaron walked back to the drinking Elf and Dwarf. Legolas was now pretty far into the game, but Gimli still had him, by a lot. But it wasn't about how much you drank it was about not falling over, drunk. Gimli stood up and a loud fart came out. He sat back down and laughed at everyone looking at him.

"Here, here." He said taking yet another mug from Éomer. Aaron walked over to Éomer.

"Don't you think this is a bit of a stupid game?" She whispered.

"It's the Dwarves that go swimming with little, hairy women." Aaron raised her eyebrows at Gimli, as he letted out a burp.

"Because I think he's drunk."

"I do find this game a little stupid," Éomer answered with a laugh, "but I'm not the one getting drunk, at least yet." He looked at his own mug, half full. Legolas set down his last mug and looked at his fingers.

"I feel something." He said. Both Aaron and Éomer raised their eyebrows at him. "A slight tingle in my fingers. I think it's affecting me." Gimli put down his empty mug and tried to point at Legolas.

"What did I say?" Gimli said, his eyes slowly going crossed. "He can't hold his liquor." His eyes went completely crossed and he fell backwards in his seat onto the hard floor.

"Game over." Legolas said not even looking much more fazed than Aaron was and she still hadn't had any yet. Aaron smiled and walked away. Gandalf stood next to a table where Merry and Pippin where getting up onto the table. They took each other arms and started to jump up and down. Aaron made it to Gandalf's side when they started to sing.

'Oh, you can search far and wide

You can drink the whole town dry

But you'll never find a beer so brown

As the one we drink in our hometown

You can drink your fancy ales

You can drink 'em by the flagon

But the only brew for the brave and true'

Pippin at this point was now looking at Gandalf. He had stopped singing entirely and was just looking at him.

"Pippin!" Merry yelled. Pippin shook his head and went back to dancing and singing.

'But the only brew for the brave and true

Comes from The Green Dragon'

They hit their mugs together and drank it down.

"Thank you!" Pippin yelled. "I win!" Aaron and Gandalf clapped as Aragorn walked over to them, a smile on his face.

"No news of Frodo?" He asked. Aaron looked at the floor. They were enjoying themselves and there was really no telling what Frodo and Sam were doing.

"No word. Nothing." Gandalf answered.

"We have time. Every day, Frodo moves closer to Mordor."

"Do we know that?"

"What does your heart tell you?"

"That Frodo is alive. Yes. Yes, he's alive." Aaron had been listening when she was pretty sure she could hear her name being called. She spun around and looked for anyone who was looking at her. The distance made it hard to know whether it was a child, woman, or man. She slowly walked forward but didn't hear anything. She looked around again and her eyes caught a little girl duck under a man and through the crowd. Aaron didn't think she recognized her but soon she did.

"Sara? What are you doing in here?" Aaron asked as the little girl came to her side. Sara grabbed Aaron's lose hand at her side and gripped it tight.

"I wanted to see you." She answered, her voice was small and hard to hear over the crowd.

"Come, we'll go to a quieter place." Aaron zigzagged through the men and women walking and dancing around. Some held barrels of ale above their heads others looked too drunk to be drinking from their mugs. The two girls finally arrived at the large open doors. Aaron pulled Sara over to a corner and she sat down. The little child sat next to her. "Now, why did you want to see me?"

"Cause my mother is drunk cause of my father." Was all she said, but Aaron knew there was more. She didn't push it though. She sat there in silence and stared at the dark sky.

"How do you know who I am?" She finally asked. Sara looked up at her.

"I saw you run up the hill as a horse and come back down as you."

"You mean during the Warg attack?" Sara simply nodded. Aaron didn't let her mind travel to that day. They sat there for so long Aaron soon couldn't hear the music and laughter of anybody. The crowd started to pour out of the doors and down into the village. Sara had laid her head on Aaron's lap and was now asleep. Aaron waited for the last person to come out of the doors then picked Sara up. She ran into Legolas as she walked in and nearly woke Sara back up. "Shh..." Aaron hissed before Legolas could say anything. He gave a nod and Aaron walked past. She saw Éowyn laying upon a type of couch, asleep. Another couch laid open at the other side of the room. Aaron silently crossed the Hall to it. She set Sara upon it and brushed her hair with her fingers. Aragorn walked out of a door and nodded at her. He walked to the fire pit and put another log on. His eyes caught Éowyn on the couch, he went over and pulled her blanket up. She moved slightly.

"What time is it?" She asked. Aragorn smiled, and Aaron smirked.

"Not yet dawn." He answered. He started to walk away but Éowyn grabbed his hand. He turned back to her.

"I dreamed I saw a great wave..." She started slowly. "...climbing over the green lands and above the hills. I stood upon the brink. It was utterly dark in the abyss before my feet." Aragorn frowned as he knelt down in front of her. "A light shone behind me...but I could not turn. I could only stand there, waiting."

"Night changes many thoughts." His eyes quickly shot to Aaron. "Sleep, Éowyn. Sleep...while you can." He stood up and motioned Aaron to follow. She pulled the covers of a soft blanket off the back of the couch and placed it over Sara, then followed her brother out. He stopped outside and took his pipe out of his belt. Aaron smiled at him as if she knew something he didn't. "What?"

"Nothing." She turned her gaze away and saw Legolas standing not too far off from them looking out over the plains of Rohan. Aragorn saw him too and walked toward him, with a smiling Aaron at his heels.

"The stars are veiled." Legolas said as they stopped beside him. "Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice. The Eye of the enemy is moving." He went quiet. Aaron stared out over the green hills and dark sky. Something did stir, but it wasn't in the East. She felt it behind her somewhere in the Golden Hall. Nothing came to her mind but something was there. She looked at Aragorn and blinked away her sleepy eyes.

"Go to sleep, Aaron." Aragorn said.

"Your not going to say, 'sleep while you can'?" Aaron asked.

"No, you sleep every time you can."

"Fine, good night." She walked away toward the doors and down the hall to the room Aragorn had come out of. She looked around the room, to see many bodies sleeping along the floor. Aragorn's cloak laid toward the back of the room. Aaron knew he wasn't going to bed anytime soon and she felt to sleepy to make her own pallet so she laid down upon his. Her eyes quickly closed and she fell into a dreamless sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 5.4K 38
Enmira is a half elven skin changer, that went through a lot in her early years. After an encounter with Gandalf, she sees the company that she needs...
3K 63 15
For 60 years, Tauriel was presumed dead by Legolas, who searched YEARS for her. After TBOFA (The Battle of the Five Armies), she left to find a new h...
Cursed By E.

Fanfiction

1.9K 72 18
Growing up, surrounded with mankind, Y/N figures she is just like them, until she finds out the truth of her kingdoms' past. Will her strength and a...
106K 3.9K 44
❝There's some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.❞ - Samwise Gamgee After Erebor was reclaimed Athena reu...