A Lady and her Footman (a Dow...

By ChloBell18

***ON HOLD*** In 1900 an Irish girl was adopted from an orphanage in Dublin by a family when she was six, she... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25 (Christmas special: part 1)
Chapter 26 (Christmas Special: part 2)
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
A/N
It's my birthday!
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Its my birthday!!!

Chapter 19

2.7K 56 4
By ChloBell18

Can I just say how beautiful Lavinia is!! I mean, Mathew and Mary are my OTP, but look at her, she's so cute!! Anyway lol enjoy!!
__________________________

"Ought I to be jealous?" Sir Richard asked Robert as they stood at the window, watching Mary push Mathew across the lawn in his wheelchair.

Robert just looked to him then looked away as he pursed his lips. He turned away from the window. "I'm sorry, what were we talking about?" He asked him.

Isis was sitting down by Robert, I got her attention as she got up and trotted over to me. I rubbed her ears as she practically sat on my leg.

"I was asking about Haxby Park. I'm taking Mary there tomorrow" he told Robert. "Our Haxby Park? Why, are the Russell's selling?" Edith asked Sir Richard as she paused her task of putting the books back on the shelves.

"Not officially, but I'm told they're open to offers" he said to her and Robert as he walked away from the window. "Sad. The Russell's and the Crawley's have been neighbors for centuries" he said sadly.

"They're not living there anymore" Sir Richard pointed out. "It'll be strange for Mary. She's been going to that house ever since she was a little girl in a party dress" Robert reminisced.

"We all have" Edith stated as she put a book away. "There's nowhere better near Downton" Sir Richard told him. "I'm not sure how comfortable it is" Robert admitted.

"Well, it'll be comfortable when I'm finished with it. Central heating, modern kitchens, bathrooms with every bedroom. It's all possible" he explained to Robert.

"Sounds more like a hotel" he muttered as he turned back towards the window. "Major Clarkson" Mr. Carson announced as Robert turned away from the Window once more.

"Good morning, Lord Grantham. Lady Edith, Lady Lilly. Sir" he greeted all of us. "We've had a requests. A Canadian Major had asked to come here because of a family link with the house.

We've taken officers from his regiment before, but I wanted to be sure you'd no objections" he explained to Robert. "What's his name?" Edith asked from behind him.

"Gordon. Patrick Gordon. He was with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry at Passchendaele. Caught in a blast and burned rather badly, I believe"

Robert sighed "Ah, poor fellow. Well, he's perfectly welcome. I'm not aware we are connected, but you never know" Dr. Clarkson bowed "Sir" he smiles to Edith and I as he walked out of the small Library.

~~~~

I was sat downstairs beside Jane as she sewed, along with Mrs. O'Brien who was sewing beside her. Anna was in front of me cleaning Mary's jewelry with Mr. Bates beside her.

I was sat fixing the buttons on my uniform jacket. "I've never worked at a house where the Valet and the Housemaid were wed" Jane said to Anna.

"It's unusual, I agree" she smiled to her as she dipped the rag in cleaner. "I hope it doesn't break us up. Having you two apart in a hold of your own, all special. While the rest of us middle on for ourselves" Mrs. O'Brien admitted.

"You sound as if you're jealous" Anna teased her as she jerked her head up from her sewing to look at her. "Oh, I'm not jealous. I just don't want it to spoil things" Mr. Bates scoffed.

"Why? Because we've all been such pals until now?" She just looked at him, then down to the table. Mrs. O'Brien isn't that bad, she was when I came here, but she's changed.

Ever since we made our peace four years ago, she had become kinder. Yes, she has been causing trouble for Mr. Bates because she talks with Thomas, but she's actually been a friend to me.

By sticking up for me, like whenever Thomas had a snarky remark. She's not that bad. Just then Daisy stomped into the servant's hall and plopped the tea tray onto the table, making the pot and cups clank against each other.

She just stared at us as we all stared at her. She stomped back out with a frown as Anna looked to all of us. "Give her time" she said as she went back to cleaning.

I finished sewing the buttons on my jacket as Isis came running down the stairs and into the hall. She stopped by my leg and barked, Wagging her tail.

I couldn't help but laugh at her. "You want to go for a walk?" She wagged her tail even more and let out another bark. I smiled as I stood up and slipped on my jacket and done up the buttons.

"Let's go then" she stood up and ran back up the stairs, I chuckled at her as I wished everyone a farewell for now.

~~~~

I was walked around with Isis at my side for quite some time now, she would bring me a stick and I would throw it. She would chase after it barking with joy as someone played with her.

I threw it once more as she chased it, and trotted back to me as I squatted to get to the same level as her. "You're a very good girl, aren't you?" She whined as I rubbed her ears, I smiled.

"Lilly?" I looked up to see Cora walking towards me. "Yes?" I asked standing up. "Grandmama and I are going to visit Cousin Isobel, would you like to come with us?" She asked with a smile.

"Of course, just let me get changed" she nodded "I'll meet you in the car" she said as she turns around and walked away.

I looked back to Isis. "I'll chase you back to the house" as if she understood me, she took off running toward the house barking. I laughed as I chased after her.

~~~~

"Mathew's making such progress" Cora gushed to Mrs. Crawley. "I think so. But are we doing enough for him, for all of them, when it comes to rehabilitation? They're to face a different world after the war" she explained.

"I agree, but they'll all be leaving Downton soon" Cora told her as she sipped her tea. "Leaving?" Mrs. Crawley asked confused.

Cora looked at her confused as well. "Well, Turkey's about to capitulate and Robert says Vittorio Veneto will finish Austria. So it's only a matter of weeks, even days before it's over"

Mrs. Crawley looked from Cora to Lady Violet, Lady Violet giving her a sarcastic smile. "We wouldn't send anyone home to soon, of course, but sometime in the New Year, we will have our house back" she explained.

"So you want it just to be a private house again?" Mrs. Crawley asked Cora. Lady Violet looked to Mrs. Crawley shocked. "Well, shouldn't she? Or would you like to abolish private houses?" She asked her with sarcasm.

"Well, that life of changing clothes and killing things and eating them, do you really want it again? Wouldn't you rather Downton be useful?" She alder Cora again.

Cora raised her brows "But the house is useful. We provide employment, and..." She was cut off. "Oh, please. Let me look into keeping it open as a center for recovery. I could run it. The house could be so much more than it was before"

Lady Violet and Cora looked at her in shock of hearing her trying to take over Downton. "And what about you, Mr. Molesley?" He stopped his task of trying to serve us more tea and cake.

"Are you looking forward to this brave new world of Mrs. Crawley's imaginings?" Lady Violet asked outraged.

"I'm glad of my job, M'lady, and I should very much like to hold on to it, with Mrs. Crawley's permission" Mrs. Crawley smiled in triumph as Lady Violet smiled a fake one.

"Servants are always far more conservative than their employers. Everyone knows that" said Mrs. Crawley.

"Then I must be the exceptions that proves the rule" the Dowager remarked. I shook my head as I smirked into my cup of tea.

~~~~

I came back from Mrs. Crawley's, I handed Mrs. Patmore another bag of some his else she needed me to get for her. "That's kind, but let's face it, I'm not a war widow, am I? Not really"

Daisy yelled frustrated as she stomped into the kitchen, Jane following her with a piece of paper in her hand. "Of course you are" Jane said to her in a sweet manner.

"No, I'm not. How long was I married? Six hours? Seven? I shouldn't have taken his name, except it were what he wanted" she told Jane as her frustration faded to sadness.

"Well. I'll leave it here with you" she told her as she laid it on the counter and walked out. Daisy looked at it and sighed as she rolled her eyes.

"Daisy, or wouldn't please William is you don't take what's owing. He wanted you to be looked after" I looked from Mrs. Patmore to Daisy. "She's right"

She looked from me to her. "No, you made me a liar while he was alive" Mrs. Patmore opened her mouth slightly. Daisy shook her head as her eyes stared to water.

"You'll not make me false to his memory" she stated as she walked into the pantry with the brooms and buckets she was carrying.

Mrs. Patmore looked down at the counter and leaned on it as she sighed. I walked over to her and laid my hand on her shoulder.

"She'll get there. Someday" she gave me a small smile as she laid her hand on top of mine. I gave her a small smile in return as I walked upstairs.

~~~~

We all walked out of the dinning room. "I don't dislike him. I just don't like him, which is quite different" said Lady Violet as we walked towards the door, I chuckled.

"Did he talk about Haxby? He's got ghastly plans for that place. Of course Cora doesn't agree" he told his mother. "I'm American. I don't share your English hatred of comfort" I giggled, as did she.

"Downton is comfortable enough for me. I can't wait to have it back" he admitted. "That's if Cousin Isobel allows it" Robert stared at Jane as she helped the Dowager with her coat.

She stared at him also, I furrowed my brows at them. "She turned up today with a hideous list of projects that stretched to 1920 and beyond" Robert hummed in response.

"Well, surely you can put her off?" Lady Violet asked her. "I don't know how, once the bit is in between her teeth" she stated.

"Well, change the bridle. Find a cause that needs her more than Downton" she told her as she adjusted her coat collar.

"She's such a martyr" Robert was staring at where Jane had disappeared off to. I nudged his arm, he looked down to me. I raised a brow at him as she looked away and clears his throat.

"Then we must tempt her with a more enticing scaffold" she said as she walked out. Cora and Robert looked to each other.

I started to walk toward the stairs with Isis by my side, when Anna came up to me. "Lilly, I hate to be a bother, but I have to be downstairs. Do you mind taking my button box up to my room?"

I smiled "I don't mind" she touched my arm. "Thank you" I smiled again and walked up the stairs to the servant's wing.

I opened the door to the Women's courtiers as I walked down the hall to Anna and Jane's room. I opened the door and walked in to set her button on her dresser.

I closed there door along with the door to the women's wing. I started to head for the stairs when I heard whimpering coming from the men's wing.

The door was open so I walked passed it and down the hall. The further down the hall I went the louder it got. I saw one of the bedroom doors cracked, I looked at the name slot on the door.

Thomas Barrow.

I looked through the the crack to see him sitting on the edge of his bed wearing his uniform as usual. He sat something on the bed beside him.

He put his head in his hands as he shook from crying. He sniffled every now and then, I looked closely at the object on his bed, it was a book...oh, it was my book.

He still cared. Just then Isis barked. My head jerked around to her. "Isis, shush" I looked back through the crack to see Thomas looked quickly towards the door.

I moved away from the door and ran down the hall toward the stairs, Isis behind me.

~~~~

After I changed I went downstairs like usual. I smiled at everyone as I went to go sit in my usual seat beside Anna. She was mumbling something to Mr. Bates, but it was none of my business so I kept out of it.

"Not sure about what?" Mrs. O'Brien asked as she walked behind Mr. Carson's chair. Anna glared at her after she said this, Mr. Bates doing the same.

"What about you, Sergeant? Have you started planning for after the war?" Jane asked Thomas as she sewed from across the table.

"Not really. Not yet" he told her as he flipped through the paper, cigarette in between his fingers.

"I know what you should be doing. I know what we all should be doing" Mrs. Patmore said from my right at the other end of the table.

"Oh, yeah? What's that?" Thomas asked her, not looking up from the paper. "Hoarding" she said, he looks up from his paper to her.

"It at be wrong, but this rationing is starting to bite. Even with everyone's books, I'd a battle to get enough sugar for this week" she said to Thomas and I, no one else listening since they were all in their own conversations.

Thomas leaned towards her. "Are you suggesting the black market, Mrs. Patmore. I'm shocked" she scoffed "Oh, I doubt that very much" she said to him as she picked up her cup and walked back to the kitchen.

I sniggered as he looked back down to his paper. I can't believe he still had my book, I can't believe he hasn't burned it or something. I can't believe he was crying, I can't believe he still cares.

Anna turned away from Mr. Bates as she turned to me. "Oh, Lilly, I forgot to tell you thank you for taking my button box up to my room earlier" Thomas's head shot up and looked at me.

I gave her a smile. "You're welcome" she smiled as she looked away again. I looked up to see Thomas glaring at me, realizing that I was the one outside his door.

I bit my lip as I picked up my tea, I sipped it as I sank a little down into my seat from his uncomfortable gaze.

Thomas's pov.

I sat on my bed and ran my hands over my face in exhaustion. I removed my hands as I looked down to see something sticking out from under my bed.

I reached down to pick it up, it was a book. I wiped all the dust on it to reveal the title 'Pride & Prejudice' she came in here that say to collect it, but she forgot to grab it as we almost got caught that day by Mr. Carson for what we were doing.

A little smile came to my lips as I remembered that day. They way her lips felt on mine, her skin against my skin. I opened the book to where the book mark was.

It opened to chapter thirty-four. 'You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you" said Darcy to Elizabeth. I scanned down the page.

'I have every reason in the world to think ill of you. No motive can excuse the unjust and ungenerous part you acted there' she yelled to Darcy.

'And this is your opinion of me! This is the estimation in which you hold me! I thank you for explaining it so fully. My faults, according to this calculation, are heavy indeed!

But perhaps, these offenses might have been overlooked. Had not these bitter accusations might have been suppressed, had I, with greater policy, concealed my struggles,

And flattered you into the belief a wife of my being impelled by unqualified, unalloyed inclination; by reason by reflection, by everything. But disguise of every sort is abhorrence.

Nor am I ashamed of the feeling I related. They were natural and just' he told her 'From the very beginning, from the first moment, I may almost say of my acquaintance with you,

your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form the groundwork of disapprobation on which succeeding events have built so immovable a dislike;

And I had not know you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry" she spat in anger.

'You have said quite enough. I perfectly comprehend your feelings, and have now only to be ashamed of what may have been my own. Forgive me for taking up so much of your time'

I closed the book and looked at it. Maybe we were having an Elizabeth and Darcy moment, but I doubt ours will turn into a happy ending.

I blinked as a drop of water landed on the hard cover of the book. I rubbed it away as I laid the book on the bed beside me.

I miss her. I miss pulling her into corners and kissing her, being able to hold her hand, making her smile, seeing her smile, hearing her laugh.

Seeing her happy. I miss everything about her. And yes she had to scold me all the time, but she did it because she cared about me, and she wanted me to do better.

Now she couldn't give a damn about me or what I do. I felt the tears roll down my cheeks as I put my head in my hands.

I loved her, I still do. But it's to late now. Just then I heard a dog bark, what's Isis doing up here? I looked toward the door to see it cracked.

I saw a figure quickly move from the door as I heard footsteps going down the hallway. I got up and opened the door to see them gone.

I wiped my eyes again as I closed my door and walked downstairs.

~~~~

I was reading the paper as Lilly came into the hall, smiling to everyone as I looked back to my paper. "And what about you, Sergeant? Have you started planning for after the war?" Jane asked me from chair two seats down from me.

"Not really. Not yet" I told her as I took a drag, not looking up from my paper. "I know what you should be doing. What we all should be doing" Mrs. Patmore said from my left.

"Oh, yeah? What's that?" I asked "Hoarding" I looked away from my paper to her shocked.

"It at be wrong, but this rationing is starting to bite. Even with everyone's books, I'd battle to get enough sugar for this week" she told me. I leaned towards her.

"Are you suggesting the black market, Mrs. Patmore? I'm shocked" she scoffed "Oh, I doubt that very much" she said as she stood up and took her cup to the kitchen.

Lilly sniggered at Mrs. Patmore's comment, I didn't look up to her. I looked back down to the paper as I took a drag.

"Oh, Lilly, I forgot to thank you for taking my button box up to my room earlier" my head shot up at this, I looked to Lilly. She gave Anna a smile.

"You're welcome" Anna smiled as she turned back to Mr. Bates. So it was her that was looking through the crack in my door, that would explain why Isis was up there.

She looked to me, she bit her lip as she picked up her cup of tea. She sipped it as she looked away and sunk down into her seat from my glare that I was giving her.

Lilly's pov.

I pushed Mathew around in his wheelchair as we stopped at a bench under a tree. I stopped his chair right by the bench as I sat down by him.

"Well, that's typical of Mother, wanting to take control" he joked as I laughed lightly. "How do you like Mary's fiancé? Robert Carlisle?" He asked me.

I turned m head to the side with a not so pleased look. "From what I've gathered, he's an arrogant, completely full of himself.

Thinks that money can fix everything, and that money is the only thing that matters. I don't like him, but Mary does. Then I suppose I should also"

He chuckled at me. "He's not you, you know" he looked to me. "He'll never be as good as you" he looked down to his lap. "I don't love her anymore" he said.

"Yes, you do" he looked up to me. "And she loves you, too. Have you not seen how worried she was about you when you were injured? She was more worried then any of us. And I love you, so that's saying something"

He gave me a half smile as he looked down again. "If I thought for a moment that I was an argument against her marriage, I should jump into the nearest river" I smirked.

"And how would you manage that without my help?" He gave me a playful smile. "Well, I'd get you to push me in" I chuckled.

"Seriously, I can relax because I know that she will have a real life coming. If I never thought that I was putting that in jeopardy, I'd go away and never see her again" I sighed.

"You don't mean that, Mathew" "But I do" he said seriously. "I am the cat that walks by himself, all places are alike to me. I have nothing to give and nothing to share. And if she were not engaged to be married , I wouldn't let her anywhere near me"

I grabbed his hand, he looked up to me. "Mathew" he shook his head with a smile. "I'm happy for her. I am, really. I am truly happy for her" he gave me a small smile as I have him a sympathetic one.

"I'm so glad that the war is almost over" he said changing the subject, I let go of his hand and leaned back against the bench. "Me too. And when it's over, everything will go back to the way it was" he smirked.

"And no more, Major Isobel Crawley" he saluted and I leaned my head back and laughed as he smiled and laughed along with me.

~~~~

Mr. Bates" Mr. Carson announced as he walked into the servant's hall, we all stood. "There's a telephone call for you. It's your lawyer" he told him as we all sat back down.

Mr. Bates looked to Anna. "Shall I come with you?" She asked him. He nodded as he walked out of the room and down the hall towards Mr. Carson's office.

Lady Mary was looking for you" Thomas said to Mr. Carson as he wiped the corner of his mouth with his napkin.

Mr. Carson turned back around to him. "When was this?" He asked him outraged. Thomas picked up his tea and held it up as he smirked.

"When she got back from her outing" he took a sip of his tea. Mr. Carson took in a frustrated breath. "Were you going to keep it a secret all day?"

Thomas just smirked and put his cup back on the table.

Mr. Carson walked away as Mrs. O'Brien leaned towards Thomas from across the table. "I'm going to go fetch my button box" she smirked as she got up and walked out.

Thomas smirked as she walked away, picking up his tea again.

He looked up to me, still smirking. I rolled my eyes as I picked up my cup and plate and took them to the kitchen.

~~~~

"The war may be at an end, but the upheaval is only the beginning" Lady Violet said as I sat on the sofa beside Mrs. Crawley.

"Oh, how right you are. That is why Downton Abbey still has such an important role to play" she agreed with Lady Violet.

"Dear me, there's so much to be done. When you think of all the children laid up with disease..." Lady Violet began.

"But they're making couch advances now, aren't they? Now, could we talk about the lecture program for Downton?" Mrs. Crawley started.

"If we must, we must. If only I wasn't haunted by those women whose jobs will be snatched from them when the boys come home" I let a little smile come to my lips, knowing what she is doing.

"But we have to find work for our heroes, don't we? That must be our priority, however hard that might sound" she told her.

"As you say. And what about those wretched refugees? What will become of them?" She asked Mrs. Crawley, trying to get her attention.

"Ah, now you've struck a chord" Lady Violets looked to her with a hopeful face. "Really? Oh, thank heaven" I looked down to my lap to make sure Mrs. Crawley didn't see the smile on my face.

"What do you mean?" She asked confused. Lady Violet hummed. "Nothing. Only the thought of those poor men and women, flung across Europe, far from their homelands and so much in need of your help"

"My help? Why do you say that?" She asked "When it comes to helping refugees, your experience renders your value beyond price. One of the organizers said those words" she said proudly at her lie.

"Which organizer?" She asked again. Lady Violet's proud look on her face fell as she didn't expect her to ask that question.

"I forget" I let out a silent laugh as I looked away, biting my lip. "But what about running Downton? I can't do both" she told her.

"Well, I suppose you must decide what is more important: exercise classes and lecture pottery, or helping men and women built a new life" she said, Playing her like a violin.

"I must go. But I will think about it" she told Lady Violet as she gathered her bag. Lady Violet rung her bell for her butler Spratt.

"Are you coming to Cousin Roberts dinner tonight?" Mrs. Crawley asked her as she stood. "Are you?" She asked as she looked up at her standing form.

"Well, I didn't feel I could say no. He sent a note this morning, it was most insistent. What's it about?"

"I have no idea, but we'll talk there. We're on to something for you. We mustn't let the Iron grow cold" she told Mrs. Crawley as Spratt opened the door.

Mrs. Crawley smiled as she turned around and walked out. Lady Violet brought her hand up to her forehead, I couldn't help but giggle at her.

___________________________I hope you all enjoyed it. As always, leave a comment and a like if you enjoyed this chapter. See you all in the next chapter!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.9K 1.1K 83
REVISING! You're just Tom's little sister he never talked about. When out of the blue you get a call from him inviting you to Downton Abbey to meet h...
72.2K 2.1K 36
Following the life of Thomas Barrow of Downton Abbey. What will happen when Thomas meets Daniel O'Connor, the new chauffeur of Downton? Will he fall...
8.9K 248 49
A young girl from the 21st century, where Downton Abbey doesn't exist on the TV, ends up in the world of Downton Abbey. Not a typical one where it is...