Dangerous Waters

By sasha_94

Adeline St. Clair, after barely surviving her last adventure aboard Poseidon's Curse, is back with a vengeanc... More

Dangerous Waters
The Stones
Safe Passage
Scarred
Skeletons
Bloody Kisses
Dreamers
Baths and Disputes

Weaklings and Equals

6.4K 362 24
By sasha_94

Picture to the right is Flynn

I was just about to ask Loki to pass the knife when Argo appeared in the kitchen’s doorway, “Flynn wants us all in the captain’s chambers now” he said somberly.

Loki stopped cutting to look up at him, “What is it?”

“It’s about Indie” Argo said quietly.

My blood ran cold.

Loki sighed and wiped his hands onto the front of his trousers, “We’re never really ever rid of that arse now are we?” he muttered to himself.

I sucked in a breath and followed both of them to the captain’s quarters in silence. What could Flynn possibly have to say about Indie? After dropping his unconscious “cured” body into the sea, no one had even muttered his name. I found myself getting anxious before I even knew what the meeting had to do with Indie. I took a deep breath and walked through the doorway to see Sara, Zintarrah, Castor, Flynn, and Lashwin all standing about in the room.

What in the bloody hell was Lashwin doing here?

Flynn clapped his hands together loudly, “Now that we are all here, we can get started. Lashwin here has heard some rumors of Indie. That in itself is proof that the cure worked and he survived.”

I frowned. Did Flynn really call us all in here to just here about Indie’s survival?

“Now that we know he’s alive, we’ll have to stay on our toes. I can think of no reason why he’d look for us or try to start trouble, but he’s a loose cannon that one. Now keep in mind, we’re moving faster than was predicted, so we should be arriving to meet my old pal in the morning. Sleep well and prepare the crew. We dock at dawn” he finished. Everyone nodded, and slowly made their way out of the room to leave, I lingered.

Flynn sat in his chair and signaled for me to come to him, I complied. Just as I was in front of him, he quickly pulled me into his lap and nuzzled my neck. I gasped; such affection from him was rare. I wrapped my arms around his neck basking in the attention.

“We should get to bed early” he mumbled into the hollow of my throat. I bit back a gasp as chills ran up my legs.

“Mmhm” I said in a raspy tone.

“We have to dock tomorrow” he whispered as he made slow deliberate kisses along the side of my jaw. My toes curled in my boots and I lace my fingers into his soft hair.

“Flynn” I muttered. My eyes closed on their own accord as he pressed his lips to mine erasing all worries of the next morning.

********

“Stay alert!” Loki yelled as the crew jumped around working. They were quicker than the crew of Poseidon’s Curse but they were nowhere as close as they were. The previous crew had been together for years. These men were recently thrown together not more than a few days ago. It left rooms for many mistakes.

I braided my hair quickly and set to my duties; which were still, unsurprisingly, cleaning the deck. I threw the bucket of water onto the deck and dropped to my knees and began scrubbing away. I felt the sun bearing on my back, but it wasn’t an unwelcomed feeling. Well that was until a shadow blocked out the light. I paused from my tiring work to turn around.

“Well hello there Lashwin. How can I be of service to thee?” I asked as I squinted to look up at him.

Lashwin smiled and tucked his red hair behind his ear, “Actually you can” he said with a smile. He reached out his hand. I sighed and took it; I’d never finish the deck in time. Lashwin pulled me to my feet with ease.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I desperately need your help” he said nervously while still wearing a smile.

“What is it and why are you smiling like a nimrod?” I asked.

He laughed loudly, “Oh Adeline you are a trip” he said loudly. I was just about to swat him away when he pulled me close, “He has them watching us, they’re everywhere” he whispered hastily into my hair.

I pulled away from him and was just about to ask who when Lashwin’s hand covered my mouth, “Okay Addie, I’ll see you below deck in a bit then” he said loudly before stalking off. I rubbed my mouth in disgust as confusion marred my face. What in god’s name was that about?

I was just about to follow Lashwin and demand he tell me what nonsense he was speaking of when Argo’s loud voice pierced the air, “STEP LIGHLTY BLOKES! LAND!” he yelled at the top of his lungs. I made my way to the side of the ship and almost dropped on the spot.

This had to be some kind of cruel joke. Suddenly the world was spinning around me and I wanted more than ever to wrap my hands around Flynn’s throat. I gripped the railing of the ship until my knuckles turned white.

“I’m sorry. I wanted to tell you but they thought that it’d be better to wait” Castor whispered from behind me.

“You knew about this?” I asked quietly. I was met with silence. The only sounds heard were the crew bustling about and Argo and Loki shouting out orders. “Did you know about this?” I asked again.

“Yes Adeline and we knew you’d overreact so we thought it best to—”

“You didn’t think it was best to tell me we were coming back to the very place I fought to escape from!” I yelled.

Why are you so bloody upset? He is dead!” Castor roared in my face.

“Castor! Below deck now and cool off!” Flynn barked.

Castor glowered at Flynn as he stalked away with his shoulders hunched and his fists clenched.

“Adeline you need to stay calm. He is dead. What in the netherworld are you so afraid of?” Flynn muttered harshly.

I brushed passed him and made my way below deck. Of course I knew my father was dead. But why did no one think it important to tell me we were coming to the very place I had grown up. They saw fit to tell Castor, but I alone was left in the dark. I was more than anything; sick of the weak light the men aboard this ship seemed to adore paining me in. Maybe if I had known what I was to face, I wouldn’t feel so sick.

I burst into Sara and Argo’s room and plopped down on the bed beside the two sirens I had come to know as sisters, “Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked quietly.

Sara sighed as she combed through Zintarrah’s hair, “I had told them it was a terrible idea. If you were strong enough to leave this place, why in the hell would you not be able to come back and face it? But according to Castor and Flynn, women are fragile or whatever rubbish they were saying.”

“But that still doesn’t tell me why you said nothing.” I said with frustration.

“Oh Adeline come now! Flynn is our captain and we are his pirates. As much as you and I would like to believe that we are his equals, we are not. If he tells us that we cannot say nor do something we must listen. You of course may not have to, but we are not all so lucky.” She said sternly.

“I think it is foolish how they view us as weaklings. I especially find it funny because I have devoured men larger than them without struggle” Zintarrah said with a smile.

I smiled back at her, “Then let’s do something about it. I, myself, am tired as being seen as a burden more than an ally. We are pirates damn it! We are just as strong as the rest of them”

“Adeline if you’re serious about this, that means no more crying when someone gets harmed” Sara said looking away.

I groaned, “It was Loki for the love of god! He’s my best friend” I said in annoyance.

“We should have Loki teach us sword fighting in secret so when it is time for battle, they have no idea what we are capable of.” Zintarrah said with a mischievous gleam in here eye.

“That is a marvelous idea” Sara said with a brief nod.

“Well let us be getting up there to show them we’re not affected by their senselessness and absurdity.” I stated. Both women jumped up and marched out the door as I followed.

**********

Though we were tougher women as of a few moments ago, I still refused to speak to Flynn. How dare he do such things behind my back? As soon as the ship was docked, Flynn stepped forward ready to shout orders.

“We’ve thankfully arrived to our destination in one piece. Now your orders are clear, make no trouble and do get left behind when we are to leave which will be at dawn! See you back here in the morning lads.” He said before stepping off the ship.

I glanced over and saw Zintarrah rubbing Castor’s back soothingly. Which meant only one thing; Flynn had told him to stay with the ship with the rest of the men who were stationed to guard it.

“She’s staying with him. It’s just the two of us like old times” Sara said from beside me.

I smiled at the memory of when Sara had first gotten drunk, “Let’s try to avoid the pub this time around” I teased.

Sara groaned, “Let’s not bring that up. So what do you want to do? Go with Flynn and Argo to get the stone or do you want to show me all the places you treasured as a child?” Sara said with s grin showing off her white slightly sharpened teeth.

I shrugged, “I guess it’s going to be the latter seeing as how Flynn and I are not on well terms”

“Well lead the way” she said with a skip.

I laughed at her eagerness. Sara loved being on land more than anyone I knew which baffled me seeing as how it made her sick after a certain amount of time. But that did little to deter her.

“Where would you like to go first?” I asked.

“Take me to your fondest place” she said thoughtfully.

I nodded, thinking of one place, “Where my mother would go to teach me to write” I answered.

As we made our way through the dock, I eyed the spot where I had first saw Loki leaning against. It was where I had first met him and my life had changed. It all seemed like it a lifetime ago.

The men lingering around the shops with the women of the night did little to bother me as they did when I was first here. After fighting off a giant sea serpent; very little scared me.

“How long do you think you have before you start to feel ill?” I asked as we dodged a drunken man who undoubtedly would get himself decked.

“I think I have until night fall.” Sara murmured as she stared at everyone we passed.

“Well I thin—”

“Adeline St. Clair!” I whirled around and locked eyes with a face I had thought I’d never see again. I rushed forward and embraced him.

“Zane! Where have you been all these years?” I asked as I gazed upon him.

“I could ask you the same thing St. Clair. How are your parents?” he inquired.

I frowned, “Surely you’ve heard that my mother had passed. My father as well just recently.”

Zane gasped, “I am so sorry darling! Come! You must stay with me and my men until we leave. We can leave you with plenty of food and money” he said as he stroked my face.

I smiled at his kind gesture, “How very generous of you, but I am well off.” I assured him. “But why are you back here if I may ask? Last I had heard, you were working under the law.”

He flashed his dimples, “You heard correctly. We’ve actually caught wind that there are pirates in these parts. We were sent to capture and arrest them.”

I smiled even though my heart rate increased tenfold. I saw Sara stiffen at the corner of my eye, but I let none of it show to Zane, “Well we must be on our way. I’m showing my friend here my old home. I give my best that you are successful with your mission” I said with a broad forced grin.

Zane frowned at my sudden departure, “Alright St. Clair, but I will try to see you once more before we leave.” He shouted at my retreating back. But I had no time to make friendly banter. I had to warn Flynn and the others that officers were here and looking to take us into custody.

“What are we going to do?” Sara asked with worry lacing through her voice.

“We find Flynn” I answered as I dodged sailors left and right.

Thanks for reading! Leave  a vote and a comment if you liked the chapter. Dropping some new characters in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 14.9K 50
Cass has no memories of her parents, only impossible dreams of waves and orcas and, sometimes, her mother's voice. When she and her adopted aunt retu...
125K 4K 32
Melody was just like any normal teen. Well unless you count her having one parent, an abusive father, and being mute. Finally away from her father sh...
233K 6.9K 84
I felt a sudden heat that spreads through my whole body, yearning for his touch. I knew what it meant; he is my mate. The feelings were too strong th...
1.4M 61.3K 38
Adeline St. Clair, afraid that her father's desperate attempts for money might sully her any more than they already have, stows away aboard the notor...