Love and War 》Alec Lightwood...

By UpInFlames_

READ SMOKESCREEN FIRST. 'As she readied her weapons for war, she had yet to realise that her words were some... More

L O V E A N D W A R
P R O L O G U E
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII

VIII

5.9K 192 41
By UpInFlames_

3+ Comments for the next chapter! :)
Whose excited for the second half of season 2!?
*UNEDITED*

*****
'What do you need, Shadowhunter?'

Isabelle looked at the group of vampires surrounding her, getting the distinct impression that she'd just walked herself right into a whole lot of trouble.

'Look, I'm not here to hurt anyone.' Isabelle softened her voice in an attempt as being seen as non-threatening. even though she knew it was useless. The runes on her body proved exactly how lethal she could be. It had been a risk seeking out the vampires but she was desperate. 'I just need a little... venom.'

'Someone's been a naughty girl.' The blonde vampire mocked as she circled, and for a moment Isabelle felt ashamed, but that feeling was quickly overcome by the desperate need for yin fen, something the blonde vampire wasn't afraid to call her out on.

'All out of yin fen? That's okay. You can have a little venom. I'm just gonna need a lot of blood.' Her mocking smile turned into something darker, something more threatening.

Isabelle could hear the hissing crawling up the throats of the vampires. Responding to the obvious danger, she flicked her whip out in what she hoped was a threatening manner.

It didn't work.

Isabelle was quickly grabbed by someone and held in place as the blonde vampire laughed at her efforts. 'You're quick but... not quick enough.'

'Forget the venom.' Isabelle tried.

'Too late pretty thing.'

Isabelle tensed as a flash of blonde hair came towards her but the attack never came. Her eyes widened as she took in the handsome vampire who'd unwittingly become her saviour.

'Release the shadowhunter. My orders.'

The vampires quickly disappeared, not wanting to face Raphael's wrath if they stayed.

Raphael caught Isabelle as she slumped forward, noticing the shaking of her hands, an obvious sign that something was very wrong.

'I thought you hated me.' Isabelle breathed out, surprised at Raphael's kindness.

'Call it an intense dislike.' Raphael commented back, some humour in his tone.

'So why are you helping me?' Isabelle was blinking furiously, trying to keep her eyes open.

'Well... Adelaide cares about you, and I care about Adelaide, so I guess I have to care about you by association.'

Raphael ignored the look Isabelle gave him through drooping eyes, picking her up and setting her down on the hood of a deserted car.

'The pain... it's everywhere.' Isabelle's body convulsed slightly as pain shot through her.

'What did you think yen fen would do to you?' Raphael couldn't believe the naivety of the raven-haired shadowhunter.

'I need something... something to stop it.' Isabelle was begging and she knew it.

'What you need to do is sweat it out. Over time, you'll be better off. You need to be strong.'

'I can't!'

'You have to.' Raphael's voice hardened for a moment.

'I swear, I'll never ask again.' Isabelle gripped Raphael's jacket in her shaking hands. Seeing his hesitation she added, 'No-one has to know.'

They both knew that no-one meant Adelaide.

Raphael gave in. 'Just this once.'

*****

Adelaide and Alec has missed a lot.

'An angel? That's insane.' Adelaide shook her head as her and Alec entered the institute side by side. 'It's impossible.'

'It's extremely rare, not impossible.'

'You know what I mean.' Adelaide shoved Alec lightly and Alec let out a chuckle at her playfulness.

'There's video footage, you wanna see?'

'Duh.'

'Morning lovebirds.'

Adelaide smiled at Isabelle who was walking towards them. 'Hey Izzy, you look better.'

'I feel better. Amazing what a decent sleep will do for you. But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?' Isabelle smirked at the confusion on Adelaide's face as she fell into step with them. 'Let's go see this angel footage, shall we?'

Alec navigated the institutes system to find the only piece of evidence they had that Clary and Jace were telling the truth. The trio watched the short video, Alec pausing it on one frame. 'There. They said that was the angel.'

'It could have been a shooting star.' Isabelle sounded sceptical.

'What, are you saying you don't believe Jace and Clary?' Alec asked in disbelief. 'I thought you'd be impressed.'

'I'm not saying I don't believe them. It's just that no one's seen an angel in hundreds of years.' Isabelle sighed as she shut down the video. 'So, Alec. Did you take my advice?'

Adelaide didn't miss the mischievous look on Isabelle's face as she glanced at her.

'Wait, what? What advice?'

'There's nothing to talk about.' Alec shrugged but the flush on his cheeks gave him away.

'Alec-'

'Hey guys!'

Adelaide looked at the new occupant in the room and her heart gave a painful lurch. Max Lightwood had grown so much since she'd last seen him that he was almost unrecognisable to her now. Alec's face lit up immediately at his little brother's appearance, Isabelle wearing a matching smile of adoration.

'Hey buddy, how you doing?'

'Max! I missed you so much!' Isabelle crouched down to Max's height, suffocating him with a tight hug while Alec settled for squeezing his shoulder lightly. 'You look so handsome.'

Adelaide hung back from the reunion, unsure of how much Max knew about her disappearance and her return. It was hard to tell with Robert and Maryse. Though they were both very loud in their opinions, when it came to Max they sheltered him in a way that they never did for Alec and Isabelle.

'What are you doing here?' Isabelle asked her brother curiously.

Alec's whole expression changed as Maryse walked into the room. 'Alec. Isabelle. It's good to see you both.'

'Really?' Isabelle challenged.

'Izzy.' Alec warned, glancing at Adelaide briefly.

'Cause last time you were here you turned your back on all of us.' Isabelle continued as though Alec hadn't spoken. 'Especially Jace and Adelaide.'

Izzy glanced at Adelaide who was off to the side out of immediate view, causing Maryse and Max's eyes to go to her, bringing her into a conversation she'd rather stay out of.

Max stared at her, wonder in his eyes and an almost awed smile on his face until his mother's hands shifted on his shoulders and the expression disappeared as quickly as it had come.

'I was following orders. I had no choice.' Maryse reminded her children without so much as a word to Adelaide. 'Max has some big news. Tell them sweetheart.'

'I passed my last trial. I'm ready for my rune ceremony!'

'Congratulations.' Alec smiled.

'So you finally perfected your roundhouse kick?' Isabelle asked Max with a raised eyebrow.

Max dropped into a fighting stance and Isabelle matched it happily. 'Yeah, and I knocked out two different instructors.'

'Sadly your Father won't be able to attend, so Alec as the eldest male in the family, you will be in charge of Max's ceremonial party.'

Alec's expression dropped and Adelaide inched closer to the group. 'What do you mean he won't be here?'

'He's tied up with the Valentine task force in Idris.' Adelaide couldn't be sure, but something about Maryse's expression gave her the distinct impression that the woman wasn't necessarily being truthful.

'I can't believe Dad would miss this.' Isabelle frowned.

'He doesn't have a choice. We're all on high alert especially after what that demon did to both of you...' Maryse froze for a moment. 'And Jocelyn.'

'I was surprised not to see you at the right of mourning. Dad called to see how we were.' Isabelle's expression closed off in barely concealed anger.

'Isabelle.' Maryse tried as Isabelle walked away, gently shooing Adelaide away as she made to stop her from leaving. Maryse hurried after her daughter, breezing right past Adelaide with determination on her face.

Alec and Max traded a look as Alec discreetly held out his hand for Adelaide to take, which she did without hesitation. 'Bet you wish you were back in Idris.'

'I thought I was coming here to get away from the fighting.' Little Max seemed incredibly annoyed as he walked ahead of the two older shadowhunters.

'Fighting? Mum and Dad?'

'All the time.' Max confirmed.

'What's going on?' Worry seeped into Alec's voice and Adelaide squeezed his hand gently.

'Mum doesn't like you having Adelaide as a girlfriend.' Max stared at his brothers fingers entwined with Adelaide's pointedly. 'Or having a warlock as a friend.' This time Max's eyes darted between both Adelaide and Alec to the point that Adelaide wasn't sure whom the words were meant for more.

Adelaide felt sadness shoot through her and she made to let go of Alec's hand but his grip on her tightened as he looked at his brother, some degree of nervousness in his expression. 'And you?'

Max thought for a moment and shrugged. 'Whatever. I don't care.'

There was obvious relief in Alec's expression as he smiled over at Adelaide, who was looking at Max with a small smile of gratitude on her face.

*****

'How would you feel about throwing a party?'

Adelaide watched in amusement as Magnus turned around to face her and Alec, a familiar gleam in his eyes. 'Have you met me?'

Adelaide had been surprised when Alec had suggested letting Magnus plan Max's ceremonial party, and when she'd questioned him he'd shrugged and told her that Magnus had better taste than either of them.

Adelaide couldn't disagree with that.

'It is for Max's rune ceremony...'

Wariness crept over Magnus' face. 'I think I'll pass.'

'Magnus-'

'I'm sure I'll love Max, but Maryse? That woman hates me. Always has.'

'That's sort of the point of the party. So that she can see that... that you can be trusted, that you're a good person, and that what's between Adelaide and I isn't going away.'

Adelaide looked at Alec in surprise, but he was still looking at Magnus, whose expression softened at the explanation. Adelaide was elated that Magnus and Alec considered each other friends and that despite his mothers prejudiced words against downworlders, Alec had given Magnus a chance.

'Are you sure about this?'

'Why wouldn't I be?' Alec shrugged nonchalantly.

'Then I better get to work.' Magnus smiled wickedly at Adelaide and she grinned back.

*****

Alec watched his mother open the invitation with a neutral expression.

Alec had spent all day watching Adelaide and Magnus obsess over colour schemes and themes and correct fonts and decorations for Max's party. Though party panning wasn't of interest to Alec, it had been entertaining watching Magnus and Adelaide bicker over the simplest of things until they came up with some sort of compromise that satisfied them both.

'At the residence of Magnus Bane?' Maryse's incredulous tone interrupted Alec's thoughts. 'It's very kind of your friend to offer, but the rune ceremony is a solemn right of passage, for shadowhunters, not some downworlder rave.'

'Where does it say anything about a rave?' Alec challenged. 'And why is it only for shadowhunters?'

'It's tradition.' Maryse put the invitation out of her line of sight.

'Tradition's change.' Alec snapped back. 'Especially those based on ignorance.'

Maryse laughed coldly.

'Anyone who cares about Max should be there, and that includes me, Adelaide and Magnus. If Dad were here he'd understand-'

'Well he's not!' Alec was surprised by the sudden hostility in his mother's voice, frowning at her reaction.

Maryse seemed to realise her error. 'Alec, I don't want to fight with you. This dinner, it should be about family, our family-'

'What family?' Alec interrupted angrily. 'You wanted Jace dead, you wanted Adelaide gone-'

'I was following orders.'

'You keep saying that. After awhile it loses it's meaning.' Alec stared at his mother until she backed down.

'You're right.' Maryse gave in. 'I'll be there. Thank you for going to all this trouble for us.'

Alec leant forward slightly. 'Thank Magnus.'

*****

'Oh my god, no way.'

'What?'

Adelaide, standing with Magnus and Alec, pointed to Clary and Simon who'd just walked into the party. 'Clary and Simon.'

'What about them?' Alec asked in confusion, frowning when he heard Magnus laugh to himself, amusement on his face.

Adelaide laughed lightly. 'Look at the way she's holding onto him, Alec.'

Alec did what she said. 'Oh. I get it.'

'Alexander, for someone so mart you are painfully oblivious at times.' Magnus smirked, but the expression dropped as his eyes zeroed in on something across the room. 'I'm worried the empanadilla's are soggy, I gave the chef specific instructions -'

'Magnus. Everything is perfect.' Alec reassured the warlock who smiled

The door opened behind the trio and Alec's expression broke into a grin. 'Max! Mother.'

Adelaide tensed and avoided eye contact as Maryse came towards them, holding out a bottle of expensive looking wine to Magnus. 'I heard you like to drink.'

Adelaide disguised her laugh as a cough. Magnus however, graciously accepted the offering. 'Welcome, Maryse.' Magnus looked down at Max, whose eyes were wide. 'Max, this is your night!'

'You do have exotic taste, don't you?' Maryse commented.

'Oh, the Spanish theme is in honour of you and your husband.

Maryse's expression closed off and her tone became deadly. 'Really? How so?'

'Alec told me that Robert proposed to you in Barcelona. I wanted to celebrate a joyous memory. Especially since he couldn't be here.'

Adelaide's eyes wandered to Max who was looking back and forth between his mother and Magnus with worry etched into his face.

'How sweet that Alec feels comfortable sharing our personal family stories with you, especially considering your disparate backgrounds.'

Magnus brushed off the obvious distaste in Maryse's voice. 'How about a drink? A Sangria for the lady, and a Roy Rogers for the guest of honour.'

Magnus hurried away, leaving Adelaide with the three Lightwoods.

Adelaide looked down at the youngest Lightwood, trying to diffuse some of the obvious tension. 'Are you excited for your first rune Max?'

Max nodded, and Adelaide was saddened to see that some of the excited light in his eyes had died out. 'Yeah. I'll be a real Shadowhunter.'

'You're going to be a great Shadowhunter, Max.'

Alec watched as Adelaide's eyes narrowed slightly before she squared her shoulders. 'Excuse me.'

Before Alec could get a word out she'd disappeared into the crowd of guests.

'Poured his heart out about wanting to be with me and then, then he hooks up with Maia.'

'That doesn't sound like Simon.'

'No, it doesn't.' Adelaide joined the conversation, frowning in concern at Clary who was visibly distressed.

'Are you sure you haven't had too much Sangria?' Magnus raised an eyebrow. 'It's strong, I made sure of it.'

'Please, I just need to leave.' Clary turned to leave but Magnus caught her arm.

'We'll figure out what's going on.' Magnus promised.

'But tonight's about Max, and Alec and Izzy.' Adelaide interrupted in a gentle tone.

'You'll never forgive yourself if you're not there for your friends.' Magnus finished for her.

Clary sniffed. 'Okay.'

And then she was gone, disappearing into the crowd just as Adelaide had done minutes before.

Adelaide snatched a glass of Sangria from the bar as her and Magnus passed it, the latter bringing the drinks he'd promised Max and Maryse.

'You think she'll be okay?' Adelaide questioned quietly as they walked.

'She'll be fine. Teenage love is a whirlwind of emotions, either they'll sort it out, or they won't, you know how it is.'

'Can't say I can relate, I haven't had much experience in that area.'

'Well we can't all find our Alec's so young, now can we?'

Adelaide flushed.

By the time they found the Lightwoods, sans Izzy, Adelaide had finished her Sangria and discarded the glass on an empty surface. Magnus handed Maryse her glass and she responded with a smile, only slightly forced. Magnus gave Max his drink but the youngest Lightwood seemed even less excited now.

But, thankfully, some of the excitement returned when, after Magnus had shown Max and Maryse the view from the balcony, Magnus proclaimed he had a gift for the newest Shadowhunter among them.

'I don't see anything?' Max frowned in confusion as Magnus knelt in front of him, holding out his hands as though there was something in them.

'That's because you're not looking hard enough.' Magnus snapped his fingers and a box appeared in his hands, he held it out to Max who took it eagerly. 'Congratulations young shadowhunter.'

'What do you say Max?' Alec tapped Max's shoulder.

'Thank you.' Max hesitated. 'Where's your warlock mark?'

'Max.' Alec warned.

'You were just as curious at his age.' Maryse reminded Alec, and Adelaide smiled to herself because she knew it was true.

'It's okay, I only share it with my closest friends.' Magnus flashed his cat eyes and Max jumped back slightly.

'How much of you is a demon?'

'Max, enough.' Jace had appeared just in time to hear Max's question and evidently he wasn't impressed. 'That's not how we treat our friends. Apologise to Magnus.'

'You can't tell me what to do.' Max clearly didn't like Jace lecturing him.

Adelaide's jaw dropped at Max's attitude and Alec flushed as he spoke. 'Hey, just because you're getting your first rune doesn't mean you can talk to your brother like that.'

'Jace isn't my brother!'

Adelaide watched Maryse's face pale at Max's words.

'Max!' Alec sounded angry now.

'Mum says your not even part of our family, and neither is she!' Max's finger pointed at Adelaide who instantly paled. 'You both have demon blood too!'

Magnus slipped away quietly, knowing he had no place in the conversation, Max following behind him quickly, seemingly realising what he had said.

Adelaide met Jace's gaze and she could see the pain she was feeling reflected in Jace's eyes. Jace was the first to move away from the group, but not before Maryse tried to stop him.

'Jace-'

But Jace kept walking and after a moment Adelaide began to follow him.

'Addy.' Alec's voice was soft as he held her arm gently.

'I...' Adelaide's eyes were shiny with unshed tears. Even though Adelaide was more than aware of Maryse's personal opinion, she wasn't expecting her poisonous words to alter the way Max viewed both her and Jace.

Alec let Adelaide leave with a heavy heart.

'This is your fault.'

Maryse stared in shock at her son. 'I've tried to keep Max out of it-'

'The hell you have. He learned this behaviour from you.' Alex accused.

'If you ever wanna make things right with me, you better make them right with Jace and Adelaide.'

Maryse stood there a moment longer before she disappeared after the others.

*****

Adelaide was leaning against the wall of Magnus' apartment, Sangria in hand. She'd pressed herself back as far as possible the moment she'd heard the familiar sound of Maryse' heels against the floors, heading in the direction Jace had gone.

She hadn't seen Max again, and she'd barely glanced Isabelle as she'd arrived, looking fierce and ready for action as always. For the time being, Adelaide was truly alone.

Or atleast she thought she was.

As her eyes wandered, her gaze interlocked with someone else's, more than once. He was tall, blonde and handsome, similar looking to Jace. Something about him seemed so familiar, but Adelaide wasn't entirely sure what it was. He never looked away from her, and she never looked away from him. There was something so strange about his eyes...

Someone stopped in front of her, and slowly her gaze drifted from the blonde to the new person who'd joined her. 'Izzy, hey.'

'Adelaide.' Isabelle's tone was clipped and unfriendly and Adelaide immediately frowned.

'Are you okay?'

'I'm fine.'

'Are you sure?'

'What gives you the right to be here?' Isabelle's tone didn't change.

'What? Izzy-'

'We don't want you here. Why are you here?'

Adelaide felt sick. 'Isabelle, what brought this on?'

'I just think it's time someone told you the truth.'

'Isabelle-'

'You're dangerous. You have demon blood Adelaide!'

'That's not my fault-' Adelaide gasped.

'You need to stay away from Alec. You'll be the death of him.' Isabelle paused. 'You should leave.' The words sounded distorted and slow coming from Isabelle's lips.

'I don't – what?'

'We don't want you here anymore. I don't want you here. You're a stain on the Lightwood reputation.'

Adelaide struggled for words.

'We don't need you.' Isabelle wore a nasty smile as she stared at Adelaide, unblinking.

Adelaide felt her head spin and she closed her eyes briefly, feeling the hurt and rejection coursing through her. When she opened her eyes again, Isabelle was gone and Clary was standing in the place she had been, looking frazzled.

'Adelaide?'

'Clary?'

'Are you okay?'

'I don't know.' Adelaide shook her head, confused. 'I think... I need some air.'

'I'll come with you.'

Clary was heading towards the balcony where a group of guests were gathered, but Adelaide stopped her with a shake of her head. 'Too many people. I know somewhere else.'

The two girls made their way to Magnus' rooftop setup, where Adelaide had spent many days watching the world go by. Adelaide's steps faltered as she noticed Alec standing on the ledge, leaning over as though he was mildly interested in the world below, his face full of conflict.

Adelaide didn't understand, she'd seen him only minutes ago. How had he gotten up there so quickly? And why hadn't she, nor Clary, seen him on their way up?

'Alec?'

'Oh my god. Alec, what are you doing?' Clary rushed forward but Adelaide was stuck in place, watching as Alec swayed in place slightly.

Alec inched closer and Clary yelled. 'Alec no!'

Adelaide forced her feet to move, her voice catching as she spoke. 'Alec, get down from there, please.'

'Alec, what are you doing? You're scaring us.' Clary added.

'Alec what's wrong? What's happening?'

'Please come down from there.' Clary tried again.

'I know, I know you wish I was dead instead of Jocelyn.' Alec spoke for the first time since the two girls had appeared on the roof.

'I don't wish you were dead.' Clary denied, shock in her voice.

'Alexander Lightwood why aren't you listening?' Fear was threatening to choke Adelaide.

'Take my hand.' Clary tried to coax Alec down gently.

'Alec!' Adelaide could see the decision on Alec's face and she ran forward, the scream that came up her throat was painful and chilling as it echoed around them, as Alec became airborne –

And then he froze.

Alec's face went slack as he hovered in the air, crackling bolts of what looked like electricity surrounding him as he was pulled back to safety, coming to rest against the ledge, unconscious.

Adelaide was immediately beside Alec, only now aware of the tears sticking to her cheeks as she cradled Alec's face in her hands, vaguely aware that Magnus, Isabelle and Jace had joined them on the roof.

'What happened?' Isabelle's voice held none of the iciness it had before.

'All of a sudden he started talking about how I hated him for killing my Mum-'

'Alec?' Maryse joined them, worry in her voice.

Adelaide was holding Alec's still hand in hers, her eyes meeting Jace's briefly.

'He's okay. I sedated him when I pulled him from the ledge.' Magnus reassured Maryse.

'You know what? You stay away from him you can't be trusted.' Jace snapped at Maryse.

'I can't be trusted?' Maryse turned to Isabelle. 'Now you see why I was wary of having a party at a warlock's house.'

'Whoa, what's – what's going on here?' Simon appeared beside Clary, looking at Alec in confusion.

'Why do you care? Maia is at the bar.' Clary's tone was unkind.

'Yes, and Alec's on the ground. Is he gonna be okay?'

'You're all gonna be okay.' Magnus interrupted. 'Everyone just stay here. I'll be right back.'

'Addy are you okay?' Jace whispered to Adelaide.

Adelaide nodded, wiping the tears off of her face. ''I just need Alec to wake up.'

'What did you say to my son?' Maryse turned on Clary. 'You don't think that Alec feels guilty enough?'

'You talked to Clary didn't you, that's why she's acting all weird-' Simon accused Jace.

Loud bickering broke out among the occupants of the roof, Adelaide staying silent as she ran her fingers through Alec's windswept hair. Magnus reappeared, chanting briefly before it felt like a casing was being lifted from their bodies as Magnus closed his fist.

The fighting ceased.

Jace was the first to speak as he stared at Maryse. 'Mum?'

'Jace?'

'What's going on?' Simon interrupted.

'You okay?'

'Simon, I am so sorry-'

'I'm fine.'

Jace, Isabelle and Maryse moved back towards Adelaide and Alec. Concern all over their faces.

'What happened here?' Simon questioned Magnus.

'It seems that a warlock has been having a little fun at our expense.'

Alec's fingers moved and Adelaide's attention was back on him immediately. 'Alec?'

'Is he okay?' Maryse breathed as Alec blinked dazedly.

'Someone has taken my spell book!' Magnus uttered angrily and Adelaide watched as Magnus threw his wards up with incredible speed and force.

'Your putting your wards up?' Clary asked.

'Nobody leaves until I get it back!'

Alec pulled himself up looking at Adelaide in concern. 'What happened?' He swiped his thumb over her still damp cheeks.

Adelaide shook her head in disbelief at the turn of events. Alec pulled her towards him, winding his arm around her waist.

*****

'Clary Fairchild, you made a blood oath. Find Madzie.'

The group watched as Magnus threw Iris through a portal. 'She's the Clave's problem now.'

'Okay, what is Valentine up to anyway?' Alec asked the question on everyone's minds.

'I don't know.' Clary and Jace shared a meaningful look.

'It's too dangerous.' Jace whispered.

'Jace, they're our family. They need to know.'

'Know what?' Isabelle asked suspiciously.

'The angel Ithuriel. Valentine was going to use him to activate the Soul-Sword. He needs someone with pure angel blood to activate it.'

'Well that doesn't sound good.' Simon supplied.

'It's not.' Jace confirmed. 'With the Soul-Sword activated, Valentine could decimate the entire Downworld. The angel showed us a vision of a demon who could destroy the Sword. If we could find that demon, we could stop Valentine.'

'How did you two save the angel?' Magnus asked.

'With runes the angel gave to me.' Clary admitted.

'New runes, Magnus. Ones no one's ever seen before.'

'Why did he choose you?'

'I have no idea.'

'I might.' Magnus paused at their looks of disbelief. 'Years ago, a Silent Brother told me about a special connection the original Shadowhunters had with the Angel Raziel. That they could communicate from afar through...visions. Because they were created from his blood.'

'Are you saying that...' Alec trailed off as Adelaide's mind spun with the new information.

'Clary may have a blood connection to that angel, and that must mean she has pure angel blood.'

'That's why Valentine wants Clary unharmed.' Jace realised. 'Clary can activate the soul-sword.'

*****

'To the Angel I entrust my life, and vow to uphold the laws of heaven. I take this mark to honour him, to bring his light into me and vow to uphold the laws of heaven, so I may join the ranks of the Shadowhunters, the guardians of peace.'

Adelaide watched from beside Clary as Max received his first rune, not even flinching at the initial sting that came with receiving a rune.

And then it was done, and the third Lightwood child officially became a Shadowhunter.

Adelaide was standing with Alec when Jace and Clary approached them.

'The ceremony was beautiful.' Clary praised, a smile on her face.

'Yeah, Max did great huh?'

'Didn't even flinch.' There was pride in Alec's smile.

Jace's gaze drifted to Maryse who was standing further away and he sighed. 'Give me a minute.'

Clary took the opportunity to speak to Alec. 'Alec, whatever you heard me say when you were under the spell...' Alec looked away. 'You have to know, I don't blame you for my mom.' At Alec's look of disbelief, she added. 'I don't.'

Alec smiled as squeezed Clary's arm gently, she did the same before she hugged Adelaide and walked away. Adelaide would have found the scene touching if she hadn't noticed the smile slip from Alec's face.

Because even though Clary didn't blame Alec for Jocelyn's death, Alec continued to blame himself.

'Alec-'

'You should go talk to her.' Alec gestured to Maryse.

'I don't think-'

'She might surprise you. I'll wait here.'

Alec didn't give Adelaide much choice as he walked away. Squaring her shoulders, she made her way towards Maryse. She had to make her peace with the woman, for Alec's sake.

Adelaide didn't have to say anything as Maryse let go of a smiling Jace, her eyes shining. 'Adelaide, I'm – I'm so sorry. I don't regret taking you in for a second. When you went missing I didn't know what to do, and then when you came back I pushed you away, I-'

Adelaide could see the truth in the woman's words, and in that moment she could see straight through Maryse's strong front. Even though one apology wouldn't make up for all the nasty words, it was a start. 'It's okay, let's just move past it.'

Maryse gave Adelaide a watery smile, embracing her tightly. 'I couldn't have picked a better match for my son.'

Adelaide flushed at Maryse's hushed words as they pulled away from each other, Alec appearing beside them.

'Max says that you and Dad have been fighting.' Alec wasted no time getting to the point. 'About-'

'Max doesn't have any idea what's going on between your Father and me.' Maryse's voice wasn't as stern as usual.

'Then what is it?'

Maryse hesitated. 'I didn't want to burden you all...' Maryse took a shaky breath in, seeming unable to continue.

'Is Dad cheating on you?' Alec asked bluntly.

The three watched as Maryse's expression crumpled in pain as she wiped at her eyes.

'Bastard.' Jace gasped out in shock.

'How could he...' Adelaide was at a loss for words.

'You can't tell Isabelle. She worships Robert. I can bear it, but it would destroy her.'

Alec embraced his Mother, who sobbed slightly into his shoulder.

'Come stay with us. You and Max, you don't have to go back to Idris or Dad.'

'Oh, I wish I could stay, more than anything. But I have to get back to the Clave.'

'Why? Let Robert take care of that.' Jace supplied.

'Everything's different now because of Clary and the sword. I can't let my problems interfere with my duty. Not now.'

Alec nodded in understanding at his mother, as Adelaide and Jace moved back slightly to let them talk more privately. Neither had much to say after the long twenty-four hours, but as Adelaide glanced over at the familiar blonde, she suddenly remembered the other blonde boy she'd seen at Max's party, right as the hallucinations of Isabelle set in, and she began to wonder if he was really even there at all.

But something about the cold feeling creeping down her spine, triggered by the memory of his unsettling eyes, gave her the answer.

The blonde boy was very, very real. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 3.4K 34
Clary Fairchild was to be protected by Mayla Stonehart. Years of hiding her true identity made Mayla live in fear every day and look over her shoulde...
22K 391 14
Haylynn grew up as a normal 17 year old girl, has normal friends, and was having a normal life. But one night, that all changed. She and her friends...
946K 22.2K 50
Camille Fray has a normal life. A young mother, a young sister and a father who died when she was child. Graduated from high school and 2 years into...
5.1K 161 11
Alec hated Clary at the very first moment she opened the doors of the institute. but in the past year Alec and Clary have been developing Feeling for...