Resetting Our Love

By yourstrulytrina

"You know the good old days when we were joined at the hip? How about we just reset everything?" Jasper and S... More

Resetting Our Love
Chapter One: English
Chapter Three: Burger Joint
Chapter Four: Drinking Fountain
Chapter Five: Stubborn
Chapter Six: Pathetic
Chapter Seven: Playground
Chapter Eight: Smile
Chapter Nine: Secret's Out
Chapter Ten: Puppy Dog Pout
Chapter Eleven: Script
Chapter Twelve: Stupid
Chapter Thirteen: Blue and Silver Balloons
Chapter Fourteen: Wall Of Shame
Chapter Fifteen: Life Of The Party
Chapter Sixteen: Hello To You Too
Chapter Seventeen: Smooth Jaguar (Jasper's POV)
Chapter Eighteen: Mistletoe
Chapter Nineteen: New Year's Fireworks
Chapter Twenty: The Reset Button
Chapter Twenty-One: Moments
Chapter Twenty-Two: Mini Pile
Chapter Twenty-Three: We're Not Romeo and Juliet
Chapter Twenty-Four: Pompom Waving Love Child
Chapter Twenty-Five: Cereal Salvation
Chapter Twenty-Six: Ice Cream or Pizza
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Bungee Jumping Promposal
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Spilled Coke
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Every Small Moment
Chapter Thirty: Makes Us Feel Alive
Chapter Thirty-One: Four Years
Chapter Thirty-Two: See You Soon
Epilogue: Thanksgiving
Bonus Chapter: His And Her

Chapter Two: Alright

376K 8.2K 2.6K
By yourstrulytrina

Not proofread.

“Seriously, you’ve been spacing out a lot today,” Kyla pointed out, tying the back of her apron, “Are you sure you’re alright.”

I’ve been staring at my phone the whole time, as if Jasper would suddenly call me out of the blue. I look up at her face which was a mixture of concern and annoyance. Letting out a small nod, I stuffed my phone into my bag before I slammed my locker shut.

“Just thinking about school,” I said vaguely. Well, I was doing this project with him.

She shook her head before finally allowing this topic to slip. After she gave me a gentle pat on the shoulder, we head out of the locker room and into the kitchen.

Chefs were buzzing around, preparing the orders being brought to them. A line of intricately garnished food was lined up, ready to be taken to the respective costumers.

“Hi Tristan,” Kyla chimed, practically skipping to one of our part-time cooks. He looked up from the plate of pastries he was preparing and he offered the both of us a smile.

“Hi girls,” He greeted, finishing what he was doing before wiping his hands clean, “Ready for work?”

Tristan Hansen was a student at our school – also, he was Jasper’s best friend. From what he has told us, Jasper knew that he was working as a cook but he never told where. He mentioned that he knew his best friend would react differently if he found out that it associated to me.

Honestly, Jasper and I were the best at avoiding each other. Please note that if Ms. Hughes never wanted to play matchmaker with her darling students, we would still be playing the ‘let’s ignore our ex-best friend’ game.

“Looks tasty,” Kyla commented. Tristan showed his appreciation for the compliment but I want to butt in to tell him that it wasn’t the pastries that Kyla was talking about.

She’s absolutely smitten by the guy, she used to talk non-stop on how wonderful it is that the two of them were working at the same café. After that, she started to ramble how fate had done this to the both of them and on off she goes as she ramble on. This was usually the part I start to ignore her.

“Maybe I’ll spare you two a taste during your break,” He winked and I swear, I could see Kyla melt into a puddle right there.

Looking at the clock, I decided to save my friend from making a complete fool out of herself. I tugged at her arm lightly, “Come on, we need to work.”

The look in her eyes told me that she wanted to stay here and talk to him. I shook my head as I started to drag her out to the hall, “Keep on the good work,” I threw at Tristan before I pushed open the swinging doors of the kitchen.

“I swear, we could have kissed if you didn’t interrupt our moment,” Kyla pouted, taking a pen and a notepad.

God, my best friend is delusional.

“And I swear that you could have risked every chance you have with him,” I mimicked her tone as I rolled my eyes.

She stuck out her tongue at me, just like what a child would do. That’s the thing about Kyla, she knows when to be mature and when to be fun and playful.

“Just go and wait on tables,” I told her, pushing her slightly to one of her assigned table that was occupied by a slightly awkward couple.

Those were the worst kind of costumers.

Another waitress walked up to me with her hands gripping a tray full of cups, “Could you take table nine for me, I’m kind of full?” She asked, eyeing the said table.

Without a moment of hesitation, I nodded. We still had a little bit more time before the dinner rush arrives and I was more than bored waiting to work.

I approached the table and as I got nearer, I slowed down. There sat a boy and a girl, though the boy’s back was facing me. The thing that made me stop all together was the woman seated right across from him.

Years may have gone by since I last saw her but there was no doubt it was her. She lifted her head from the menu and when she spotted me, her eyes turned into a sparkle of delight.

“Savannah,” She grinned in recognition and finally, my feet obeyed my commands as they stopped right in front of their table.

True to my speculations, Macy Dean was sitting right across from her brother.

Jasper looked at anywhere but me, clearly ignoring his sister’s delight.

“It’s been so long since I’ve seen you!” She stood up from her chair as she went to hug me. I didn’t know what to do, it’s really awkward. It has been years since I last saw the woman and the guy that introduced the both of us to each other was no longer talking to me.

Please earth, swallow me up right now.

She pulled back and my unresponsiveness didn’t seem to bother her one bit, “Oh right, you’re working.”

She sat back down, trying to look like a regular costumer but both of us knew it was too late for this. She was practically bouncing off of her chair as she said her order.

I nodded as I scribbled whatever she was saying before I turned to Jasper. No eye contacts, just a look of expectation in his way.

“Coffee,” He finally mumbled after a long while.

“What’s wrong, little brother of mine?” Macy teased, “You’ve suddenly became all quiet.”

I wonder if she knows that her brother and I are no longer in speaking terms.

He shook his head, waving her off. This was my cue to leave, I don’t want to stay in the presence of these two for more than a minute longer.

“Your order will be with you in a while,” I said like the usual protocol. I turned on my heel as I tried to walk as normally as I can back into the kitchen.

Heel, toe. Heel, toe. Heel, toe. Don’t trip, Savannah; they’re watching you.

Pushing the kitchen door open, I felt like I was going to crash on the floor but I kept my cool and delivered the piece of paper where I had written their orders.

Tristan noticed that I was practically out of life as I slumped against the wall. He approached me with his eyebrows scrunched up in question, “What happened out there?”

I was thankful that Tristan was one of the few students in the school that wasn’t afraid of me. We talked on a daily basis during work but when we’re at school, we just gave a nod of acknowledgement every time we pass each other at the halls.

That’s just how it goes.

“Jasper is out there,” I gulped, “With his sister.”

I thought that Tristan would keep his cool, tell me what I should do. Imagine my surprise when he started to pace back and forth, cussing under his breath.

“Shit,” he cursed, “What if he finds out that I’m here!”

He shouldn’t be the one worrying here, he was safe and hidden in the kitchen while I was given no choice but to face them with a straight face.

I poured some coffee into a mug before I settled it on a tray. Before I went out, I turned to Tristan, “Just stay in the kitchen, I’ll tell you when they’re gone.”

He nodded gratefully before I kicked the door open and went back to the dining area once again. Taking deep breaths, I walked back to table number nine. Remember, don’t trip.

Of course, this couldn’t become anymore cliché. Somehow, the universe is against me.

In the midst of concentrating on how to walk, I failed to actually watch where I was going and I tripped. Just before I was near their table, causing the mug to fly up in the air and to spill its contents.

This would have gone perfectly alright if it wasn’t for the fact that Jasper’s hair was now soaking in black coffee.

Macy looked at her brother with shock for a moment before she started to burst into laughter.

“Your face!” She laughed, pointing at him.

She may have been enjoying the expense but I was mortified. Quickly scrambling to my feet, I claimed the tray that clattered to the ground and also the mug that had a crack on the side.

“I’m so sorry,” I apologized, rushing to get some napkins, “I’m such a klutz!”

Carefully, I started to run a napkin along his hair, frowning as I stared at the mess I’ve made.

Why can’t I do anything right when I’m with this guy?

He grabbed my wrist, stopping any future movement from me. My whole body went shut as he pushed my hand away before he stood up and headed to the bathroom.

I looked down at the napkin I was using to help him clean up before I frowned. He hates me more than ever now.

Macy saw my expression before her jolly face turned into a soft and caring smile, “Don’t feel too bad, Savannah. Jasper is just a little hot headed because of the coffee,” She let out a slight giggle, realizing how she sounded like before she turned serious once again, “But don’t worry, he’s not mad at you.”

“Easy for you to say,” I sighed, throwing the napkin on the table, “I’m pretty sure after everything that I’ve done, I wouldn’t be surprised if he despises me.”

Macy shook her head, “Everybody makes mistakes, and it’s just that you tripped while delivering him the drink.”

I want to tell her that it wasn’t the only horrible thing I’ve done to him. I completely ignored him, I stopped talking to him up until we were now strangers. Back then, I thought it would have been the best for both of us.

We were drifting away in different social circles, the people were praising him for his athletic abilities while they scrammed away from me like I’m the devil.

I looked down on my foot and I felt a hand on my head. Macy patted me, not like a dog but like a mother reassuring her daughter, “You know that Jasper would never be mad at you. He will always be ready to forgive you in a snap. You’re too important to him.”

Oh Macy, if only you really knew.

“Wait outside, I’ll send him out when he’s done in the restroom,” She smiled warmly. I eyed the mess that I’ve made on the floor but just before I was counter, Kyla stepped in with a mop and bucket.

“I got this,” She reassured, “Now go, I’ve had enough of dealing with a depressed Savannah Everett.”

So maybe she a little loco on the head, but Kyla was a great friend nonetheless. I never told her a thing about Jasper, she just knew that I was once friends with him because everybody used to talk about it. That’s all, yet she’s standing there like she understands everything.

So I did what I was told, I left the café, standing there by the glass entrance, waiting anxiously for him to come out.

I’m only going to apologize for the coffee, but that was it. It’s not like I’m going bawl in front of him and just relay how that past years went. I admit, I was lonely without him; I lacked my usual form of entertainment that his silliness came with.

I do admit, I need to be in speaking terms with him again. I know we will never be able to reset everything just like that, but I want to remove this never fading tension between us.

The door next to me swung open. I didn’t turn to its direction, only waiting for a certain somebody to approach me.

“What the hell Macy?!” I heard his voice complained before he was violently shoved to my eye sight.

He glared back to the inside of the café where I’m sure Macy was posed there with a victorious smirk on her face. Slowly, it turned my head to take a peak and she mouthing, “Talk.”

He turned to me, staring at me briefly before looking away.

How are we even going to talk if we can’t even look at each other?

Well, I was the one who started ignoring him in the first place so I should also be the one to start fixing this situation.

“Hey,” I said softly.

That was the time I ever said any type of greeting to him for the past three years.

Clearly, he was taken into shock as his eyes snapped to my direction. I refused to meet his gaze, it was a big effort to even say those three letters.

After a while, I thought he was going to walk away, tell himself that I’m not worth his time. He’s reminding himself that I don’t want to be associated with him, he’s thinking that I hate him as much as he hates me right now.

“Hi.”

I don’t know why, but that simple word was enough to place a gushing wave of relief to wash all over my body.

We were taking baby steps but at least we can greet each other now. This is progress!

Now why were we here again?

My eyes met his shirt that now sported a nasty stain.

Oh right, my stupidity.

“I’m sorry about the coffee,” I muttered.

Gosh, this is embarrassing.

He looked down on it before he shook his head, “It’s alright… I guess.”

Where are we going with this?  I knew it wasn’t alright, I knew he was mad at me because I ruined his shirt.

“That’s all,” I stammered, entering the café quickly as I can. I can’t face him, this can’t really be happening.

Ignoring Macy’s call for me, I sprinted into the kitchen then to the locker room, sinking to the floor.

Why am I so pathetic whenever I’m facing Jasper?

The familiar warning of a text message sounded in the room and light seeped through the slots of my locker. I opened it and fished my phone out of my bag.

It was an unknown number, I looked at the message.

I don’t know if I should ecstatic or freaking out right now. Nonetheless, I closed my eyes and I finally allowed myself to think, maybe everything is alright.

This time, I placed the phone in my pocket, safely where the message is still displayed.

It’s alright. -J

---------------------------------

Ah my dear Savannah, you are clumsy as you are terrifying. She's such a cutie yet a terror in the school but at least we're making progress in the story now.

I felt guilty that I didn't update during the weekend, let's just say that I kind of cried the whole day because of my grades. It's a silly thing but don't tell me how to live my life.

Anyways, let's head on to the question.

Question: We need our cast members. We have the terrible four to think about, who should play Savannah, Jasper, Kyla and Tristan?

Love you guys, are you still with me even in this story?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29 0 18
Jasper and Charlie had once lived next to each other for years, but loses there friendship for unknown reasons. They seen each other everywhere; High...
211 4 13
One photo. One photo changed everything for Marley. A simple post of a photo on facebook sparked a complicated love between Marley and Lauren that go...
318K 8.2K 46
**Originally posted back in 2011 by me, under the name 'Life's A Party or Is It'.** Savannah Cannon and her twin Flynn are party animals. They're no...
9.1K 248 26
August and Ki never were the two in high school to get along. August, of course, was a bad boy and always in trouble, but he always had some girl and...