A5 // The Maze Runner

By aewhite624

(Y/N) is the first girl to arrive in a maze full of boys. After living there, she falls in love with the youn... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 16

49.9K 912 1.8K
By aewhite624

I suddenly became aware of my surroundings through closed eyes. I was awake and could feel where I was though my eyes wouldn't open yet. I knew I was on a cot with a thin sheet over my body, a hand clasped around mine rubbing over my skin. I tried moving but it was as if my body was fighting back.

"Newt you need to eat," a voice said to my right. Newt, who I'm assuming was the one holding my right hand, stopped rubbing.

"I did eat. I already heard the story Minho. I need to eat to help my ankle," Newt spat almost aggressively.

"When did this Glade become so shucked up? First her, then you lose it," Minho sighed.

I pushed myself with everything I had to move an inch of my body, even a finger twitch would work. I needed to give him a sign. Some sign indicating I was alive. But nothing. I was still too weak.

"She's my everything Minho. I lost it because I'm loosing her. She'll never love me again even if she does wake up," Newt sighed just as a tear drop fell onto my hand.

"Newt don't say that. She'll love you just as much if not more than when you fell. You're her whole world Newt. Stop pushing her away." Minho spoke passionately about what he was saying but it ended a second after when I heard his footsteps leave. I was gonna try again.

I pushed my hand, conjuring every ounce of energy into my hand to tighten around his hand. It moved. It actually moved. I knew for a fact I was certain it moved when I heard a soft gasp beside me.

"Darling? (Y/N) please wake up. I know it hurts but open your eyes darling. I need you love. Please come back to me," Newt pleaded. This was all it took for my body to wake up.

My eyes opened first before my lips parted, drawing in a fresh breath. My eyes darted around the ceiling before a face blocked it: Newt's.

"She's awake!" He screamed to the door before cupping my cheeks. I couldn't move much except to grow a smile on my lips as I noticed him across from me.

"You're alive. Oh my god I thought I lost you. I love you so much," Newt cried, his lips pecking wet kisses to my hand. I lifted my hand to his hair, that being the only motion I could do.

"Newt," I breathed, finding it hard to lift my hand.

"Give her space. She'll be very weak. I'm surprised she can even move her hand," Clint said running into the room. I just stared at the ceiling as I dug my hands into the bed and pushed.

"Woah love," Newt said beside me while he helped me sit upright and look around.

"Stupid question but are you alright?" Clint asked. I closed my mouth and nodded. "Give it an hour and you'll be able to move more but uh... (Y/N) your ankle."

"Wh-what about it?" I croaked not having a voice through my dry throat.

"When the griever got you, it uh... snapped the bone. You can walk, yes, but you'll limp. This also means..." Clint trailed off looking to Newt.

Finishing his thought, I croaked, "I can't run." Clint just nodded and whispered an apology before leaving the hut.

"Love," Newt whispered from where he sat on the bed. I couldn't help the tear rolling down my cheek when I looked at him.

I couldn't run. From what I heard, I can barely walk straight now too. How could Newt ever love someone with a limp? A pathetic girl with an everlasting injury. A girl who would need help doing simple tasks. A useless girl.

"Can you hold me? I'm sorry I can't move," I whined knowing every part of me ached and moving was not an option anymore. He quickly lifted me off the bed and placed me in his lap. He pulled my arms around his neck, finding enough strength to hold them around him while he hugged my torso.

"I missed you. I missed you so much," I cried into his shoulder.

Tears filled his eyes again and he held on tighter. ("Y/N) I need to tell you something."

"Tell me anything," I whispered unsure of my voice still.

"Look please don't get angry at me," he began, his eyes searching for mine before he went any further. "Days went by after you were stung and you weren't getting any better. All you did was cry and scream and I couldn't bear loosing you. I couldn't keep seeing you this way knowing I couldn't help you."

"Newt." My simple word sent tears gliding down his cheeks.

"I jumped. I jumped like Bea did. I thought I lost you. I couldn't live without you baby. You're my everything and it was killing me seeing you in so much pain. I'm alive but... but I have a limp like you. Alby said when I fell, I got all tangled in the ivy and it snapped my leg in three places. I'm so sorry."

I couldn't speak as I stared at his wet eyes. I wasn't angry. I wasn't hurt. I wasn't betrayed. I was devastated. He jumped because he thought I was dead. He lost his leg because of me.

I sat there frozen. I couldn't move except for inching my face to his. I let our lips graze together, unmoving but still touching as if to soak in the other pair.

"I'm sorry," I cried as our lips brushed together. Everything hurt, mentally and physically, but somehow his body wrapped with mine numbed the pain. I felt nothing but his warmth.

"Don't say sorry. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have jumped. I should have been here for you instead of being so selfish." I pushed further until our lips touched into a real kiss before moving back.

"You're not selfish. You're broken. We're broken. We're so broken," I sighed as I closed my eyes and breathed him in.

"We'll fix each other. I'll start by feeding you. You haven't eaten in three weeks so you've lost some weight," he told me, shifting lightly but my arms tightening around his neck stopped him.

"I was asleep for three weeks?" I asked.

"Three unbearable weeks," he said. "Please don't leave me ever again. You're my everything. You're my life (Y/N). Loosing you meant I lost myself." We just sat there in silence, clinging to each other and I had a feeling we weren't gonna move for a while.

"Never. I'm never leaving you."

Just then, a few boys stumbled into the room all panting slightly. I left my arms around Newt but moved my head so I could face whoever had joined us. It was Minho, Ben and Alby all looking worried yet simultaneously relieved.

Alby was the first one to come over and attempt to hug me. "Thank shuck, you're awake. I'm so happy to see you awake."

"I'm sorry Alby. I can't move much," I apologized, using what little energy I had to wrap one arm around his neck.

"Its alright (Y/N). I just expect a real one when you get your energy back," he smiled.

Ben was next and hugged me from behind. "I'm sorry (Y/N). We should have made you run with us. You wouldn't have been alone and you wouldn't have been in that section."

"Ben, it's okay. It was my bad call not yours. I'm here now and that's what matters." I smiled knowing what I said wasn't helping anyone but myself.

Alby and Ben moved to the doorway so all that was left was Minho. "We thought you died. I mean at one point your heart stopped. Thanks to Fry and his large hands, he restarted it."

"Fry? He started my heart?" I asked.

Minho chuckled, swinging our intertwined hands gently. "He was so angry, he slammed his hands into your chest and it somehow worked." I couldn't help but smile knowing Fry had, in a fit of rage, saved my life. "Do you remember everything?"

"I remember the maze and the griever. I remember you finding me just before I passed out. Can we have a keeper meeting after I'm more awake?" I asked, feeling my eyes became heavy. I had been asleep for weeks but I was unbelievably tired.

"Of course. Rest up princess," Minho teased. The three boys whispered "goodnight" to me as they left.

"Wait Minho," Newt called out to stop him while I buried my head in his neck with my eyes closed awaiting sleep. "Thank you for saving me."

"Newt, Alby found you in the maze," Minho said.

"I know, but you brought (Y/N) out of the maze. You saved her. Thank you for saving me," he repeated. I listened to the purr of his voice through his hollow chest and smiled when I heard his heartfelt words. I shifted my arms around his waist and tugged at the fabric.

"I love her too shank. We all do. Thank you for completing her," Minho added before his loud footsteps retreated from the room.

Newt shifted me onto the bed where he carefully pulled me into his chest. We laid with him spooning me, his fingers running over my hand.

"I love you," I whispered as the darkness filled me again, taking me back to my dreams.

"I love you more than you know," he replied into my neck before I fell asleep again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36K 1.5K 65
Evelyn was sent up to The Maze with the original Gladers. She was the lone girl right from the start. But being the only girl isn't the only thing th...
11.5K 184 27
When Y/n comes up in the box, life changes drastically for the boys already living in the Glade. She fits in right away, but some of the Gladers feel...
191K 3.7K 37
《 BOOK TWO OUT NOW 》 Y/N expected to be fall in love at some point in life. She never expected to fall in love with a builder, who lives in a square...
168K 3K 42
Y/N and Alby are the first ones to come up in the box... they won't be alone for long though. What is this place? Who put us here? All their questio...