Reflecting their own light: R...

By MindyRoot

Picking up where the revival left off, we find Rory and Logan making their own way. They say there are two si... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 0.5 (Preface)
Chapter 1.5
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 3.5
Chapter 4.5
Chapter 5.5
Chapter 6.5
Chapter 7.5
Chapter 8.5
Chapter 10.5
Chapter 11.5
Chapter 12.5
Chapter 13.5
Chapter 14.5
Chapter 15.5
Chapter 16.5
Chapter 17.5
Chapter 18.5
Chapter 19.5
Chapter 20.5
Chapter 21.5
Chapter 22.5
Chapter 23.5
Chapter 24.5
Chapter 25.5
Chapter 26.5
Chapter 27.5
Chapter 28.5
Chapter 29.5
Chapter 30.5
Chapter 31.5
Chapter 32.5
Chapter 33.5
Chapter 34.5
Chapter 35.5
Epilogue

Chapter 9.5

1.6K 44 10
By MindyRoot

"Good luck, Ace," I called to her on her way out.  "May the odds be ever in your favor," I added, imitating Effie from The Hunger Games.

I had hoped that wouldn't be the case, but my mother could be so unpredictable.  Rory shot me a slightly dirty look.

"Logan!" she chastised.

I caught her just before she went out the door and gave her a sweet kiss.  I flashed one last smile before she closed the door behind her.  I can only hope this isn't the happiest spot of her day.  God, please don't let my mom ruin this for her!  I hoped Honor would keep her reined in.

-I'd really hate for this to be an upsetting experience for Rory.  Please, make sure to keep Mom in check and keep me posted!

Will do, Little Brother!  I'm sure I can keep Mom mostly distracted with the shopping!

-Thank, Honor!  I owe you one!

I grab my laptop and try to get some work done.  I need to stay on top of my game.  Besides, it was nice to work from home, so long as I didn't have Rory as a distraction.  She makes it hard for me to concentrate.  I want to devote every minute to her, fulfill her every need (in and out of the bedroom).  We could talk for hours about anything and everything.  She's my everything, and I'm damn luck to have her back in my life!

I turn on some background music, and settle into a good groove for about three hours.  I needed a break from the grind, and I just remembered I needed to remind the guys about suits for the wedding.  I had decided that a tux was just too formal.

-Just wanted to send everyone a little reminder about making sure your suits are ready to go for next weekend.

Colin: Do you think we'd forget something this important?!  Mother would kill us!  I still liked my idea better!  We should have gotten pastel tuxes with matching ruffled shirts!  It's a rather inspired suggestion, don't you think?

-Um, no, Colin, and dressing like characters from Dumb and Dumber sounds just as the title suggests!

Robert: I thought we should go more formal with top hats and tails.  It's much more appealing, and looks better with the gorilla masks.

-You know Rory better than that, Robert.  And for the last time: NO GORILLA MASKS!

Finn: I don't know why we're even bothering.  You know they'll just come off in an hour anyway!

-Contrary to persona belief, not everyone wants to see you naked, Finn!

-Just make sure your suits are ready to go, ok?

Robert: You certainly are a demanding one.

Colin: You got it.

Finn: Right, Mate.

I grabbed something to eat and sat back down to do a little more work.  I felt like I was always playing catch-up since taking over for my dad.  At least I had some extra time today to take care of some of it.

-How are things going with Rory and Mom?

Good, but we're not having any luck finding a dress.  Mom's actually been fairly civil, and unusually quiet thus far.  Lunch is over and we're headed to our last stop for the day.  Wish us luck!

I guess quiet is better than fighting, but the day isn't over yet.  I decided to put the work away for a while and distract myself with some Netflix.  I felt myself starting to relax.  My eyelids were very heavy right before I fell asleep.

I woke up and got ready for work.  I hadn't even bothered to look at the woman in the bed next to me this morning.  It didn't matter who she was, or how she got here.  Damn Colin and Finn for taking me out on a Tuesday night!  At least they had good taste in bars and women.  Did I really bring someone home last night?  Or was it actually Odette?  I didn't have time to go back and check.

Once I arrived, I made my way to my office, interacting with as few people as possible.  I opened the bottom drawer and pulled out a bottle of scotch.  Nothing like a little hair of the dog to help the hangover.  I finished the glass in one swallow.  I went into the bathroom in my office, brushed my teeth, and gargled.  Then I splashed some cold water on my face, and looked at myself in the mirror.  There was no happiness in my life, not since I'd last seen Rory.  I had kept track of her in hopes of putting myself in her path.  Just so I could see her one more time, but she had gone off the grid.  No bylines, no books, no trace of Rory Gilmore.

What the hell had I become?  But I knew...I had become my father.  I didn't want to admit it, at least not to anyone else, but it had happened.  I was in the middle of my preordained life.  What could I do?  I was stuck in a loveless marriage.  Now, it was nothing more than a set of obligations: parties, events, appearances.  We didn't even share a bed anymore. 

I managed through the work day with a lot of coffee, and a little more scotch.  I went home well after 10, and she was waiting for me at the table.

"Another late night?"

"Yes, Odette.  I have a lot of important work to do.  It's crunch time, and we have an important deadline coming up," I replied, intentionally leaving work talk vague.  She doesn't care anyway.

She didn't need to know I'd spent the last three hours drinking in my office and trying to track down Ace.  I was a pathetic mess.  I grabbed myself another scotch and sat back at the table.

"Don't forget that tomorrow we are having dinner with the Sudburys," Odette reminded me.

"I won't be able to make it.  It's going to be another late night with the team tomorrow.  I told you it's crunch time," I lied.

"Logan, you've cancelled on them twice in the last two months.  If you don't come, they'll thing something is wrong," she warned.

"I'm sorry, but we are working on a tight schedule, and the deadline is looming.  You'll have to make extra apologies for me," I replied, unfazed by her warning.

"Logan, what's wrong?" she said, touching my shoulder.

I cringed away from her, stood up, and walked toward my bedroom.  "Nothing," I said sharply.  "I'm going to bed.  Early day tomorrow."

I sat on my bed and thought long and hard about my life.  I fulfilled my obligations for appearances, but I tried to find ways to get out of them as much as possible.  I made Odette go by herself.  She didn't know that I couldn't stand to look at her.  Sure, she was beautiful, but every time I saw, she reminded me of regret.  The regret that ate away at me every single moment of every single day.

I drank to numb the pain, forget the memory.  I slept with other women to distract myself from the emptiness.  Each woman the same with brown hair and blue eyes, but none of them were her.  I had become dead inside.  I laid down and finally fell asleep.

I woke up in a cold sweat to the credits of the movie I had started.  I had this anxious feeling as I recalled my dream.  My breathing was shallow and quick.  My pulse was racing.  I looked around and recognized I was in my NYC apartment, not the London flat.  I rushed to the bedroom and saw Rory's stuff was here.  I must have been dreaming.  It was a very real and vivid dream, but merely a dream.  I started to calm down to process it.  I saw what my life would have been like if I had followed Mitchum's dynastic plan.  Wow, my life could have done in a different direction, one that was disgusting and repulsive to me.  I couldn't stand the man in my dream.  I guess I didn't realize how miserable I was, and how I wasn't being true to myself.

Beep, beep went my phone.  I welcomed myself back to reality and checked it.

So, Mom took us to a very exclusive wedding boutique in SoHo because Rory had no luck at the four other places I had booked.  She's friends with the owner and called in a favor....for Rory!

-Are you kidding me?  Mom did something that didn't serve her own selfish purposes?!

Yes, and it's scary.  She's been.....nice!  I don't think I've ever seen her like this before!

-Doesn't mean I'm not still worried!  Glad things are good right now.  Make sure Rory gets what she wants.....no matter the price tag, ok?  She'll resist, but if you push a little, she may agree.  I don't want her to worry about anything like that!

I'll offer to pay if it comes down to that, you know me, Logan!  You know how much I love Rory, too!

-Thanks, Honor!

Although she wasn't out of the woods, I was relieved that things were going well.  I couldn't envision my mom being nice without some ulterior motives.  It was so unlike her, and definitely not towards Rory.  I tried to get a little more work done, but I was too preoccupied with Honor's news to focus.  After about half an hour of trying, I closed my computer and put it away.

I decided I needed to do something special for Rory.  Despite the fact my mom was actually being decent wards her, I knew dress shopping was stressful.  I needed to do something to help her relax tonight.  I set out to get the supplies I needed.

Beep, beep went my phone again.  Oh, no, I thought, this can't be good!

You're never going to believe this!

-Believe what, Ace?

Your mom just insisted on buying me the most gorgeous (and very expensive) wedding dress!  It's perfect, but way out of my price range.  She's been very kind to me today.

-Are you kidding?  I'm glad you found a dress and I cannot wait to see you in it!  I'm glad things turned out well.  Can't wait to see you when you get home!  What are you craving for dinner?

How about some Indian food?  I haven't had any in ages because Mom hates the smell!  We'll be on our way in about 15 minutes.

-I love you, Ace!

I love you, too, Logan!

As if on cue, Honor texted me too.

OMG!  Mom just bought Rory's dress!  I've never seen this side of Mom before, but I kinda like it.  I hope she makes more appearances!

-Rory just told me.  I'm still in shock myself!

For the record, Rory didn't need me to rescue her today.

-I didn't think she would, but it never hurts to have back-up!  Thank you, Honor!  I really appreciate it, and don't forget I owe you one!

I won't forget, Little Brother!

I knew Rory wouldn't need rescuing, but I had no idea how Mom would act around her.  I didn't want her to experience more hurt at the hands of my mother.

Since Rory was on her way back, I set my plan into motion.  I had already ordered some Indian food, per her request.  I put a couple of candles on the table for ambiance, and turned the lights down.  I put a few roses into a vase on the table.  I pulled the petals from the remaining roses and sprinkled them on the floor leading to the Jacuzzi tub.  I saved the rest for when I run the bath for her.  I also set up the candles.  I thought a nice long bath would relax her at the end of this nerve-racking day.  I closed the door to keep my secret until I'm ready to reveal it.

When I heard Rory come in, I went out into the kitchen.  After she closed the door, I went up to her, put my hands around her waist, and pulled her close.  I put a finger under her chin and tilted her head upwards until our lips met.  She put her arms around me, hands on my neck, and pulled me even closer.  We were interrupted by our dinner delivery.  I buzzed them up and gave Rory one more kiss.  I opened the door, took our food, tipped the delivery person, and closed the door behind.

Rory set the table and I lit the candles.  We sat down to a casually romantic dinner.

"So, where's the dress?"

"Oh, you know you don't get to see it before the wedding!  It's bad luck," she chastised.

"Are we really doing that?  I think we're beyond traditions and superstitions," I replied, smiling. 

"I think some of the traditions are sweet, so you'll just have to deal with it!" she said, smirking.  "Besides, I didn't actually take the one I tried on.  It's considered a demo gown, so the store keeps it until they move onto the next season.  They'll deliver my actual dress to my mom's in Stars Hollow.  You won't have the chance to see it!"

"I bet you look beautiful in it," I said.

She smiled and blushed.  We finished eating, and I excused myself.

"What are you up to, Logan?"

"You'll see, so be patient," I replied, exiting to finish setting up.

In the bathroom, I turn on the water and begin filling the tub.  I spread the last of the petals along the edge of the tub and light the candles.  After it's finished filling, I go back out to retrieve Rory.  She gasps when she sees what I've set up for her.

"This is beautiful," she gushes.

"I'm glad you like it.  Now, go ahead and have a nice, relaxing soak.  You've had a long day," I replied.

"Thank you, Logan," she said, kissing me on the cheek.

I smiled and leave her alone.  I definitely wanted to stay, but I knew she needed some time to herself.

About 15 minutes later, Rory calls from the bathroom.

"Logan?"

"Yes, Ace?"

"Could you come here for a minute?"

"Sure, I'll be right in," I replied, wondering what she needed.

I go into the bathroom, and see her smiling at me with a slightly devilish grin.  I've seen it before.  It was the same look she gave me right before we spent our last night together in New Hampshire.

"Can I help you?" I asked with a very good idea where this was going.

"Join me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.3K 825 82
Set mid season 7- what if Logan never proposed to Rory when he did? What if they never broke up? How would their lives continue if things had gone ju...
69.5K 1.7K 52
This story takes place 7 years after Rory turned down Logan's proposal. What happens when Logan and Rory run into each other in New York City? Loga...
18.9K 473 41
Mature content involved read with caution: I do not own the rights to any of these Characters as they are owned by Amy Sherman-Palladino This story t...
17K 700 17
Starts off at "Wedding Bell Blues" Slightly AU- Rory and Logan start out the way they did on the show. However, Rory is still a virgin and Logan is n...