Reflecting their own light: R...

By MindyRoot

Picking up where the revival left off, we find Rory and Logan making their own way. They say there are two si... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 0.5 (Preface)
Chapter 1.5
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 3.5
Chapter 4.5
Chapter 5.5
Chapter 6.5
Chapter 7.5
Chapter 9.5
Chapter 10.5
Chapter 11.5
Chapter 12.5
Chapter 13.5
Chapter 14.5
Chapter 15.5
Chapter 16.5
Chapter 17.5
Chapter 18.5
Chapter 19.5
Chapter 20.5
Chapter 21.5
Chapter 22.5
Chapter 23.5
Chapter 24.5
Chapter 25.5
Chapter 26.5
Chapter 27.5
Chapter 28.5
Chapter 29.5
Chapter 30.5
Chapter 31.5
Chapter 32.5
Chapter 33.5
Chapter 34.5
Chapter 35.5
Epilogue

Chapter 8.5

1.6K 38 5
By MindyRoot

So far, I'd survived Luke and Lorelai.  I avoided the wrath of Emily, but tonight would be the true test.  Tonight, we faced my family for the first time as a couple.  I hadn't really talked to my mom about much of this, so she's a bit of a wild card.  She no longer had to follow Grandpa's lead, so she might be more amenable.  Surprisingly, Dad's been civil about my relationship with Rory.  After he admitted he actually liked her, he's been marginally receptive.  I'm sure he's got some hidden agenda, but for now, I'll take him as an ally, even if it's only half-assed.

I tried to hide my nerves from Rory.  I wanted to appear calm to keep her stress levels lower.  I think this may be more unpleasant for her than me, especially if it's anything like the last disaster of a dinner we had with my parents.  That night is still engraved in my memory like it happened yesterday.  It returns every time I'm at their house.  None of this stopped me from seeing Rory, so I don't know why it stopped me in recent years.  Maybe it was because the Vegas deal was her idea, and I went along with it because I was happier with her in my life, even if it was only sporadically.

I decided that we'd drive our car tonight instead of relying on the car service.  It was about having an escape plan in case things went horribly, as I'd envisioned.  Neither of us said much on the trip out there.  It wasn't an awkward silence.  For some reason, it was actually calming.  I pulled into the driveway and up to the house.  Here goes nothing, I think as I get out of the car.  I go around, open Rory's door, and help her out.

"Are you ready, Ace?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," she replied.

I took her hand, gave it a little squeeze, and led her into the house.  I looked around.  Somehow, the house seemed enormous, bigger than I ever remember.  Suddenly, there's a feeling in my stomach, twisting it in knots.

"Logan, where's your mom?" Rory whispered to me before we get too close to my family.

"Probably stress smoking somewhere.  She's been trying to hide it more since Dad came home from the hospital," I replied quietly.

"Logan, Rory, it's so nice to see you!" Honor said as she got up to give us each a hug.  Josh shakes my hand, and gave Ace a smiling nod.  Ever after all of these years, Josh is still nervous around my family.  We took a seat on the smaller couch.

"Hi, everyone," Rory said, smiling.

My father actually smiled back.  I couldn't tell if it was one of the infamous Mitchum smiles, or something genuine.  I don't think I've ever seen a genuine smile, so it's hard to discern.  I'm leaning toward the latter as I recall finding some of his college pictures from his Life and Death Brigade adventures.

"Rory, it's been too long since I've last seen you!  We hardly had a chance to chat when I saw you in London.  How did your meeting go with Conde Nast?  They would be lucky to have a talented writer like you on staff," Dad said.

What the hell was he doing?  Didn't he know how that meeting went, or was he actually interested in her career?  I most definitely did not want him to start cutting her down right here and now!  I could fee my blood starting to boil, thinking about him taking shots at her.  I managed to keep my cool, for the moment.

"The meeting went fine.  I've written a couple of spec pieces for them.  I'm actually working on a book," she replied confidently.

"A book?  Do you have a proposal worked up yet?  Have you talked to any publishing houses?  I could get you a meeting or two if you'd like," he offered.

This was the first time I'd heard him sound sincere, or was he simply resigned to the fact Rory was going to be a part of the family?  if that was the case, the offer was more about his reputation than any care for her career.  It was all about the family name.  The bright side is he's accepted the marriage, and that's a start.

"I've got a proposal in the works, but haven't contacted any publishers yet.  Maybe we could discuss this in a few weeks, after I've put the finishing touches on my proposal, and you've had some more recovery time," she replied assertively.

My, my, Rory......she's really holding her own.  Not that I should be surprised, but I know how nervous she was about this dinner.  So many memories, rushing back from the last time.  I'm sure she was having flashbacks, too.

"That sounds like a good plan, Rory," Dad replied with a soft smile.

That was a real smile from my dad!  Holy shit, Ace!  I don't think I've ever gotten one of those!  Maybe she was magic.....

"Logan!  Rory!  How wonderful to see you!  I hope you haven't been waiting long!"

Mom made her grand entrance in a waft of cigarette smoke and too much perfume.  Rory looked like she might puke from the scents mixing together.  I know how terrible it smelled without having a heightened sense of smell.

"Mom, we've only been here for a short time," I replied.  It's not as if she was concerned with her tardiness, just part of her show.

A few minutes later, the maid came in to let us know dinner was ready.  We lingered until everyone was well ahead of us. 

"Just how much does everyone know, Logan?  This have been a bit crazy lately, and we haven't had much time to really talk about this," she whispered.

"They know everything.  I felt it was best to lay all the cards on the table.  I'm hoping honesty will help everyone move forward.  Mom's been the only stagnant one, so far," I explained.

"Hopefully, we can help change that tonight!" she said.  I'm pretty sure I saw a twinkle in her eye.  What do you have up your sleeve, Ace?

Polite conversation dominated dinner, which was better than fighting.  Mom and Rory found some common ground talking about wedding dress shopping.  I knew Honor was extremely excited for tomorrow's adventure with Rory and Lorelai.

"Would you like to come with us?" Rory asked Mom.

I look at Rory.  What the fuck just happened?!  Did she just ask my mom to go dress shopping tomorrow?  I just about spit my drink out all over the table.  I thought picking out the dress was supposed to be a fun, bonding experience for the wedding party.  This could turn onto a major disaster, and not just from Rory.  I foresee some major conflict between the moms. 

Honor and I exchange some slightly confused looks.  I think she was in disbelief about this potential situation.  At the very least, Honor would be there to help rein Mom in, but she could go rogue.

"Oh, no, Rory!  I couldn't possibly intrude like that!  I wouldn't want to impose," she replied after a moment.

Mom seemed very surprised, and was almost floundering.  It takes a lot to catch her off guard.  As she recovered, Rory kept the pressure on. 

"I insist, Shira!  I could use all the help I can get," she replied. 

Rory was so determined to make Mom tag along.  I think Rory had been studying The Art of War!  She pulled out some heavy artillery.

"Ok, Rory.  I would love to come with tomorrow," Mom replied.  She sounded confident, but her face told a different story.

I sure hope Rory knows what she's getting into.  I'd have to make sure that Honor takes good care of Ace tomorrow, and keep Mom on her best behavior.

"Well played, Ace," I said to Rory on our way to the car.  "You pulled out some pretty big guns tonight."

"I'm absolutely terrified, Logan.  This is going to be a disaster and my mom is going to go ballistic.  I think she was looking forward to this and now I've invited your mom!"

Rory has always had more strength than she's known, and this was just another example of her super powers at work.  She's the best partner I've ever had.

"Call Lorelai and explain.  She'll understand.  You'll have Honor there to help buffer.  She's been dealing with Mom for years; she's an expert," I replied.  "The odd are in your favor....3-to-1."

"Oh, great.  The Hunger Games allusion does nothing to quell the terror I'm feeling about tomorrow and my mom's reaction," she said.

I could see she was nervous about calling Lorelai, but I could only hope that she sees the bigger picture in all of this.  This very experience may just build the bridge we need to Shira Island.  I wanted both of my parents on the same page as us.

The real headline tonight is that Mom caved to someone she berated and belittled so many years ago.  Karma can be cruel and kind all at the same time.  I hope that's not the case tomorrow, for Rory's sake!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 700 17
Starts off at "Wedding Bell Blues" Slightly AU- Rory and Logan start out the way they did on the show. However, Rory is still a virgin and Logan is n...
18.7K 453 41
Mature content involved read with caution: I do not own the rights to any of these Characters as they are owned by Amy Sherman-Palladino This story t...
115K 3.5K 74
Following Gilmore Girls A Year In The Life, this fanfic focuses on the many precious relationships that flourish as a result of Rory's pregnancy. Her...
69.4K 1.7K 52
This story takes place 7 years after Rory turned down Logan's proposal. What happens when Logan and Rory run into each other in New York City? Loga...