Roses on the Sidewalk {HP}

By SnowingMoon

Rose Weasley was always a good girl. She followed the rules. But when a mystery unfolds during her fifth year... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32 - The End

Chapter 24

1.7K 39 11
By SnowingMoon

Chapter 24

I tapped my fingers distractedly against the wooden table beneath me. I could feel my hair frizzing up because of the dammed steam which overflew my and Andrew's cauldrons as the potion stirred itself slowly. The green goo burbled, and with each pop of a bubble, let out a puff of steam. I could feel the back of neck getting hotter and hotter as the steam flooded the damp, dark dungeons where we had our potions lessons. Why couldn't they have air conditioning or something here? I know it was the middle of winter, but still.

Andrew eyed my fingers. I stopped abruptly and he turned back to our cauldron, which sat beside me; Slughorn had paired us up today, and decided that he should place me with Andrew, the second-best-potion maker in the class. Scorpius was the first. But he wasn't int his particular class- oh who cares. The point is we were paired up. And Andrew was quiet the whole time, thankfully allowing me to think a bit.

"So, are you going to the dance?" Just because I said he was quiet....

"Yep." I said shortly, throwing some chopped bezoar into the cauldron. Andrew waved his wand over the steamy pot and smiled.

"Yeah, me too. You going with anyone?"

"Yep."I took a long spoon from the table and stirred the potion twice, anti-clockwise. I don't even remember the name of this potion. I'm pretty sure it's an antidote of some sort, since it uses a bezoar. I shuddered, imagining myself eating one of those gross hair balls.

"Who?" I looked up, slightly dazed at Andrew, who was looking down at the potion curiously. I narrowed my eyes and patted down my hair slightly.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked. Andrew looked at me earnestly.

"Who are you going to the ball with?" Ahh... My brain pounded against my skull as I closed one eye sleepily.

"Scorpius." Wait, what? Andrew's eyes widened a centimetre as he quickly looked back down at the potion, which had turned from green to blue.

"Well-um, that's nice. I'm going with Franciska." he amended quickly, turning around silently to fetch more ingredients from the cupboard. Bex, who had been staring at me for a while, I believe, pointed at Andrew and rose her eyebrows. Whats up with him? I shrugged. She rolled her eyes and stood up, walking to my table, arriving at the same time as Andrew.

"Hullo Rebecca." He greeted her, dropping a small flask onto the table carelessly. Bex twitched at his use of her full name.

"Hello, Andrew. How's it going?" she send me a look through the corner of her eyes. "Exited for the ball?" I held back the temptation to smack my own forehead. Of course Bex would talk about that right now.

"Aren't we all?" I ask desperately, craning my neck so I could see whether SLughorn was coming to send Bex off.

"Yeah. Rose must be thrilled about it- I'd never thought-"

"Look there's Slughorn, you should go back, Bexy!" I said a little too quickly, standing up to push her away. Andrew laughed at my failed attempt to stop the conversation as Bex discarded me, waving her hand

. "I'm just asking Rose something, Professor!" she called over her shoulder. Slughorn nodded and she pushed me away, looking Andrew straight in the eye. "You'd never thought what?" She inquired meaningfully. Andrew shot me a puzzled look and I shook my head slowly, my eyes never leaving his. He licked his lips. And stuttered.

"Well, I'd- I'd never thought that....well, That Rose would go with Scorpius?" It was more of a question than an answer, but it was enough for Bex. Oh, why did I have to slip the one thing I still didn't know how to tell anyone to the one boy who didn't know what it meant to lie?

"What?!" Bex asked, clearly astonished. I sighed and this time covered my eyes with my hand exasperatedly. The bell McGonagall had installed rung through the corridors noisily and everyone scuttled away. "Your going with Scorpius Malfoy?" she spat out, glaring at me.

I winced involuntarily and smiled (more like grimaced, but lets go with it) apologetically. "I was going to tell you-I just couldn't find the right time..."

"It's a MALFOY! There's NEVER a 'right time', Rose."

See? This is why I needed the right time, preferably when I had a broomstick in hand and could run off before she killed me. I turned to shoot a deadly glare at Andrew, but he had managed to sneak away. Bex spun around and stomped out of the classroom. I gather my things in a hurry and raced after her. She was fuming, alright. I caught up with her as she stormed through the corridor, getting annoyed looks as she trampled through. Albus eyes widened as we passed him, his hands faltering as his mouth slowly forgot what he was telling Naomi and Mo. He shot me a quizzical look as I pushed past a few fourth years and pulled Bex's elbow. She wrenched her elbow away and spun around.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Why she was so cross? That really is the question. I chewed on the inside of my lip feebly.

"Well, I sort of didn't want this to happen..?" I started. She sighed and turned again. I held back a groan as she walked ahead, this time at a normal pace. "Bex, quit being a drama queen already!" I regretted saying that, but I didn't let it show.She stopped and turned around calmly, her blond hair fallingover her shoulders in perfect stillness.

"Rose. I'm not being a drama queen. You are dating our enemy. And you didn't even consider telling me or Albus. Or anyone, as a matter of fact. And he never ever did anything nice to us. You're just dating him because...I don't even know!" she fumed. I waited patiently as she gave her speech. I don't know why she immediately assumed Scorpius and I were dating, though. is there no such thing as going as friends? "And what would James say? Hmm? He hates Malfoy's guts, and your like his favourite cousin."

With that she started walking again. It took me a moment to realise this and I soon started following her up the stairs to the common room.

"Fine. so you're just cutting relations with me because I happened to become friends with someone whilst my two other supposed best friends were ignoring each other?" I scoffed, "Fine by me, I'll just go and hang out with him so more while you sort out your love triangle with ALbus."

Bex scoffed, clearly taken aback by what I said. "Pft. Pfffft. I'm not cutting off relations to you. I'm just gonna be mad at you because you didn't tell me, and then, when the rest of your family is mad at you, I'll be okay with it."

"Well that's nice of you." I said coldly.

"Just like it was nice of you to tell me about your newly born dating life! But seriously, I don't like Albus. And I'm not gonna be nice to Scorpius just because you are going to a ball with it" I rolled my eyes, of course she wouldn't. After all, I knew what I signed up for when I became her friend. And her lovely personality was one of them.

**********

"REBECCA! I NEED YOU RIGHT THIS INSTANT!" a shrilly voice screamed down our tower.

I'm pretty sure everyone heard Lily. Perhaps even the boys did. Most of them were still in the common room, but obviously all the girls were in hysterics trying to get ready for the Ball. Which was in exactly three and a half hours. ANd all I was thinking about was food. I rolled over on bex's bed and propped my head up.

"Bexy bexy, let me go eat?" I tried. She looked at me scornfully, flattening out her dress with her wand.

"Rosie Posy, you shouldn't make rhymes, because they actually suck." She smiled. I scoffed and sat up.

"Seriously, I need food in my system if I am to work properly." I nodded. She shook her head and turned the dress around.

"Is this still wrinkly?"

"No. Can I eat now?" Lily stormed into our room, her face flushed, holding up a pink-white dress in hand. Roxanne walked in after her, clearly pleased about something- probably Lily's distress. Lucy skipped in and sat beside me.

"Purple or blue?" she asked herself, looking down on her nails. I didn't bother answering, since I'm not he one to ask. Victoire is. Lily started ranting about how Roxanne spilt something on her dress, making it ugly and un-usable and whatnot.

I stood up and sneaked away while my cousins, Bex and Charlie tried to figure out how to fix Lily's dress. I don't even know why Lucy is there- she's probably just day dreaming about dancing. I walked outside heading down to the kitchens. I wonder if anyone has the same dress as me. That would be awkward... But then again, we do have magic. So I could just charm my dress. Why am I even thinking about this? God, Scorpius got me thinking like a girl. One of those crazy over-thinking girls. I shivered involuntarily. Speak of the devil....

"Hi, Scorpius!" I greet him.. He's walking in the opposite direction I am, but I grab his wrist and drag him with me towards the kitchens.

"Hi Rose..?"

"Have you eaten somethin?" I asked distractedly as I looked for the painting of a bowl of fruit.

Scorpius pushed his hair aside and shrugged. "I thought there would be food later. Shouldn't you be getting all dressed up?" I opened the door to the kitchens and walked. The elfs bustled about as usualy, carring elaborate plates of foods for the ball and preparing magicall colour-changing punch as well as huge cakes and deserts.

"Nah, I don't like taking up too much time to get ready..." Scorpius smirked amusingly."What?" I snapped.

"Nothing. It's just that you are nothing like Lyn." I rolled my eyes. Of course I am, I'm not a slytherin, am I?Waiting for an elf to come over with some muffins.

Scorpius raised his eyebrows. "You do realise your cousins hate me." he stated, reaching for a cupcake.

"And I care because?"I inquired. He shrugged.I eyed him through slit eyes as he bit into it. "Yes, you can have my muffin."

"Thank you, Rosie." he said cheerfully, walking up front. Pft. In my family, I would swat anyone who came close to my food

. "But aren't you worried?"

"Why should I be? If they're my family, they should let me do what I feel like it, they don't control me." I huffed. He shrugged, kissed my cheek and walked off on his own.

***************************

"ROSALIE MARIE WEASLEY, where were you?" Lily screamed at me as soon as I set a foot into my dormitory. I winced. No one ever used my whole name. Exept my mother, because she always does. Rebecca had dissapeared and Charlie was sitting on her bed tryin on shoes. She looked up at me quickly and mouthed 'good luck'. Good luck? Good luck on what?

"Why in bloody Merlin's sake didn't you tell me you were going with MALFOY to the ball?" here we go... I thought to myself as Lily stormed over to me. She ranted. Doesn't she always? I don't know how such a small person can have so much rant inside of her. Anyways, if Lily reacted like this, I can't even imagine James.

"AND YOU NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT-"

"Frankly, I think Rose needs a badboy in her life." Charlie towered over both of us in heels.Thank Merlin she was here. She was abnormally tall. In heels- she was practically a building. Lily huffed.

"Yes, yes. But she didn't need a Malfoy." Blah, blah blah. My dress was neatley laid out on my bed. Once Lily was done (I think she said something about me not listening but..) I started getting ready.

***************************************

Lily spun around in the centre of the room, her white dress flowing around her. "Do I look like a girl?"

"Possibly for the first time in your life." Roxanne snorted,picking at one of the layers of Lily's dress. "But wasn't this green?"

"Green would look good on you." I noted.

"Yeah, because of your eyes and all. Molly's wearing green, though." Lucy piped up, her purple dress shimmering under the lights of the room.

"Where is Molly anyways?" Lily asked, frustratedly. Bex walked in with that turquoise dress of hers, her hair hanging casually around her shoulders.

"I don't think anymore Weasley's would fit in here."

"I second that!' Charlie called from her corner where she was straighting her hair. Her white dress gleamed against her dark skin. I touched my hair absent-mindfully, checking my hair clip was still in place.

I grinned picking off a lint on my dress. God, these girls take so long. I mean, come on people just put on the dress and lets leave.

Finally, we left for the Grand hall. Have I mentioned I am terrible with high heels? Because I am. I had to walk along looking down so I wouldn't step in anyone or their dresses, because if I did, I'm sure they would murder me for stepping on their precious dress. I guess we were right in front of the Hall where the ball was hosted when I almost slammed into a turquoise dress.

"What's going on now?" I moan, before I can think otherwise.

"Now, my dearest cousin, we go find our dates. Adious, muchachas." Lily waddles off ino the grand hall. I wonder who her date is. She never said.

So everyone starts walking off, Bex standing with me, just staring at the open doors of the Great Hall which was completely transformed, so much so it was almost unrecognisable. "Well, I ought to go find Albus..." She smiled akwardly and went in. I sighed and took in the Great Hall. It was rather Christmas-themed. It had snow falling softly to the floor, with actual trees floating around. Candles lit up small, exclusive tables and light pastel coloured flowers hung in mid air. The sky above was filled with stars, the night as clear as water.

I stood there for quite a while, debating whether I should go in or not, until I finally heard footsteps. I turned around to find Scorpius looking absolutley gorgeous in a sleek black jacket and a metallic green tie. Such a Slytherin, I think to myself.

"Hi," he says smirking, as if he could read my thoughts. But he does look awfully hot in that. Rose, shut up. I tell my self smiling.

"Hi," I reply trying not to trip on my dress as I step foward. He extends his hand, and as he opens it, a lily appears, opening slowly, as if following his hand.

"For you." How romantic. Bleh, I don't really like romance.. Only in books. I'm not good with romance. I take the delicate white flower from him gingerly, and twirl it by it's stem between my fingers, smiling as it spun.

"How'd you know I didn't like roses." It was obvious for someone to get me roses, seeing as my name was Rose. My dad, in fact, did give me roses when I was smaller and had a singing or piano presentation of some sort. Roses for my little Rosie. I never had the heart to tell him I liked lilies best.

Scorpius' smile widened and his eyes sprakled in that mysterious way of his. "I have my ways." I rose an eyebrow.

"Does that include stalking people, by any chance?" I kid, lifting the lily up to my hair and tucking it inside my hair clip. He shrugs, and extends his hand.

"You'll never know. Now take my hand, you muppet."

******************************

AUTHORS NOTE: You all probably want to kill me right now. I understand!! BUT PLEASE DON'T OR ELSE I'LL SET FINNICK ON YOU!! AND HE'S PRETTY HANDY WITH HIS TRIDENT!!

Anyways, I am SO SORRY, I really am, but was getting overwhealmed by school work and trips and whatnot, so I got all dgsovlb;eorv.

I AM REALLY SORRY.

and sorry for the crappy chapter

My head isn't functioning, it's too filled up with Physics to express anything good out of it.

If that even makes sense to you...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2K 457 23
// In which Rose Weasley's Sorting goes oddly, and she strikes up an acquaintance with two unlikely people. Mysteries unfold around the disappearance...
24.4K 741 15
Rose Weasley, the daughter of the famous Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, is starting her seventh and final year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft an...
3.8K 166 19
Rose Weasley was deeply in love with Scorpius Malfoy since the 4th year. But, how things will turn if he tells her that he has feelings for her cousi...
13.2K 222 22
The air darkened again and Rose Weasley is the lawyer of the wrong party. This causes her to deal with death treats and worse, everywhere she goes. W...