When It's Time to Move On

By saimcheeda

The story about a dying man who gets another chance at life. Or rather four. Four doors that lead him to diff... More

Prologue
The Hospital - Chapter 1 - Bad News
The Station - Chapter 2 - Who are you?
Door 1 - Chapter 3 - Where Am I?
Door 1 - Chapter 4 - This Beautiful Life
Door 1 - Chapter 5 - The Stranger
Door 1 - Chapter 6 - Lost in the Mist
Door 1 - Chapter 7 - His Story
Door 1 - Chapter 8 - New Starts
Door 1 - Chapter 9 - Expectations
Door 1 - Chapter 10 - The Poor Woman
Door 1 - Chapter 11 - Broken Lives
Door 1 - Chapter 12 - Reaching Out
Door 1 - Chapter 13 - Leaving This Behind
The Station - Chapter 14 - What was that?
Door 2 - Chapter 15 - Wasteland
Door 2 - Chapter 16 - Standoff
Door 2 - Chapter 17 - His Story
Door 2 - Chapter 18 - Sergio
Door 2 - Chapter 19 - Someplace Safe
Door 2 - Chapter 20 - Cleansing
Door 2 - Chapter 21 - Remember
Door 2 - Chapter 22 - Faith
Door 2 - Chapter 23 - Wake up
Door 2 - Chapter 24 - Goodbye
Door 2 - Chapter 25 - Innocence
Door 2 - Chapter 26 - Don't Forget
The Station - Chapter 27 - Why me?
Door 3 - Chapter 28 - Once Again
Door 3 - Chapter 29 - All Those Years Ago
Door 3 - Chapter 30 - Desperation
Door 3 - Chapter 31 - Positive
Door 3 - Chapter 32 - Importance
Door 3 - Chapter 33 - Finer Things in Life
Door 3 - Chapter 34 - Choosing to Live
Door 3 - Chapter 35 - Her Story
Door 3 - Chapter 36 - Thank You
Door 3 - Chapter 37 - Roslin
Door 3 - Chapter 38 - Understanding
Door 3 - Chapter 39 - How They Lived
Door 3 - Chapter 40 - Closure
Door 3 - Chapter 41 - A Smile Away
Door 3 - Chapter 42 - All of Them
The Station - Chapter 43 - Will you be with me?
Door 4 - Chapter 44 - A New Life
Door 4 - Chapter 45 - Search for Passion
Door 4 - Chapter 46 - Feelings Hour
Door 4 - Chapter 47 - Close Call
Door 4 - Chapter 48 - Hustling
Door 4 - Chapter 49 - Bonding
Door 4 - Chapter 50 - Her
Door 4 - Chapter 51 - Pink
Door 4 - Chapter 52 - Genius
Door 4 - Chapter 53 - Worth It
Door 4 - Chapter 54 - The Two of Us
Door 4 - Chapter 55 - Their Story
Door 4 - Chapter 56 - Longton
Door 4 - Chapter 57 - The Exhibit
Door 4 - Chapter 58 - For the Last Time
The Station - Chapter 59 - What do you think now?
Door 5 - Chapter 60 - One Good Turn
Epilogue - The Train

The Station - Chapter 61 - Time to Move On

29 4 0
By saimcheeda

Once more he found the hallway. This time he witnessed it materialize before him; the burning radiance bringing shape and form to the environment. He was by himself now, his father nowhere to be seen. Behind him, the fifth door stood shut, but the enormous blast of light that had captured him was still there; rays of light escaped from between the door's edges.

Harris's body was instructed to begin moving and he obeyed that command. The original four doors passed him by. Each was still shrouded in darkness, but the affection with which he looked at them could almost have lit them up. 

A soft rustling reached his ears before he could step into the hallway. Its source was the room where he'd deposited his cherished belongings. Harris twisted the knob to enter it for the final time. He felt his breath taken away, for nothing could have prepared him for what awaited inside.

People. And each one he loved.

There stood Bob Cratchit, the gnarled old hat resting once again on his head, his signature bushy beard through which he smiled. Next to him were his family – his wife, Shiela, their two boys Benjamin and Leonard, and Danny and Jennifer, ever so happy.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with Bob was Harris's brother-in-arms. He never thought he would see him again but there Jake was. He was cleaner and happier than Harris had ever seen him. He, too, looked back at him with a broad smile, arm around his wife while the other on his son, the Mickey Mouse watch on his wrist once again. His friend Sergio with his wife, Adra, and son, Salem, reunited once more.

By Jake's side was Harris's oldest friend, Auden, with his fiancé Laarni. Hank and Sylvia, too, were there, laughing along happily. But they weren't by themselves. Roslin beamed at him in the same, wonderful way she had the last time he'd seen her. She was as happy as he had wished to see her; no wrinkles around her eyes, no despair in sight, radiant with joy. The plaque she had bestowed upon him was now in her grasp.

Beside her were the two people he'd seen most recently but was no less glad to be present. Zafina and Huey, who looked to be containing something wonderful to tell him. They grinned as gleefully as ever, still making him wish each moment would last a lifetime. Huey held within his hands the frame that had immortalized Harris's favorite moment.

Among such treasured company, Harris found himself at a complete loss for words. Yet that seemed to be the very idea, for not one person broke the silence. Each one of them simply, and lovingly, looked at him, happy to be there for him at this time.

Harris looked back at them to his heart's content. As far as he was concerned, they all were a part of him; he could never depart without seeing them once again. This was his party, and he was at leisure to enjoy it as much as he wanted. Harris wanted to convey how much they meant to him, but he knew that they felt just what he did.

With the brightest look of confidence he could muster, he nodded at his loved ones and walked away. The hallway, though still glowing, was now visible to look at. The glass ceiling confirmed it was morning. And he was as excited.

A slight screeching sound made him lower his gaze, surprising him once more. The station was not empty. A train had appeared on the once-empty tracks. Harris was amazed by its beauty. The train was magnificent, steam rising from the chimney, the smoke evaporating as soon as it gusted outside. It was vast, with its end hidden inside the tunnel behind. The colors black and red were contrasted in the locomotive's body, a richly elegant and classic appearance. 

The train's compartments were stacked behind, with enough windows for passengers to wave farewell to their loved ones, but the train was empty. There was not a single soul inside. Harris was in awe of the sight. A few steps had been laid out right behind the facade and just in front of the compartments to an empty platform that was meant to be stood upon. He had no questions to ask here -- this was to be his pedestal.

He turned his attention to the glass ceiling. But the light was no longer there. And again, without needing to ask or be answered, he knew where it was. And he saw it perched above the compartments, hovering in midair patiently.

"It is not required of me to go with you." The voice spoke, and this time it was almost as if it were a person talking to him.

"But you will," said Harris.

"I wish to." It replied rather quietly.

"So do I."

It didn't speak further, but Harris felt a touch on his shoulder, and he acknowledged it. He'd thought this would be a very difficult moment, but it wasn't. It was remarkably easy. Perhaps it was because felt unburdened, or perhaps this was how it was supposed to be. It didn't matter. He had only the last step to take on the platform before he heard another sound behind him.

His comrades had arrived. They walked out of the room off the hall one by one. This was the first time the station had seen life other than Harris's. He didn't know how to greet them now that he had set his mind on leaving. And neither did they give anything away. He stepped on the platform.

Immediately the station erupted with applause, and Harris did a double turn. Everyone was cheering, a thunderous ovation for him. Roslin whistled loudly, Bob waved his hat with wild enthusiasm, Huey and Zafina wooed with zeal, and Jake raised his arms high above. It was an incredible sight to behold. He had never heard such a blend of love and laughter. They were all here to send him off as wildly as they could, reminding him this was a happy occasion.

And so finally Harris let himself hope for one last time. That he would find the face he wanted to see most, and he scanned the crowd to catch a glimpse. His chest was erupting with excitement; it was now or never. 

And then he saw him. He made his way through the throngs of his admirers, who dutifully, parted to let him come closer. Harris's father was there.

Harris was unsure whether to celebrate or shed a tear, but his father's hand on his cheek was enough to sustain him. A final caress from the family he had longed to reunite with. He held his father's hand in his and gave it a squeeze, certain that everything he wanted to say was said.

His father offered a kiss on his forehead before settling back into the crowd, surrounded by Jake, Roslin, Bob, Huey and Zafina, and everyone else. Harris knew he was leaving these peoplein a safe place  – wherever this was – that they would be at peace, just as the peace he felt inside himself. 

 He locked eyes with everyone, finally settling on his father. Because he was the one he wanted to see before he stepped on the platform.

At last, it was time. Time to Move on.

"I know." He whispered to himself.

He could make this moment last a lifetime. It had been with him all along. It was with every person. A moment was only as long as he wanted it to be. And so, for what felt like an eternity, he lived this moment, drinking it all in.

With a jolt, the platform below him began moving. The people – his party – were drifting away. As a final symbol of farewell, he light-heartedly offered a salute. Another more vibrant applause broke out. 

Most of his friends clutched his father, who accepted their embrace and nodded in parting to Harris. He could only offer a smile as the train started gathering speed. The smoke was escaping the chimney fast, but no mist covered the station -- it was as clear as day.

"Goodbye, Dad." He murmured. "Goodbye everyone..."

The children – Benjamin, Salem, Jake's son, and of course Huey – all broke into a run, unable to control themselves, waving at him enthusiastically, attempting to keep up with the speed of the train. 

Harris laughed, thankful that the last thing he would witness here brought another smile to his face. Eventually, the children fell back, and with a parting wave of his hand, they disappeared once the train entered the tunnel completely.

Harris let out a long sigh. There would never be another time to lament; there was only a rush coursing through him. He looked up to find the light next to him. It had respected him enough to remain silent. 

The tunnel was surprisingly not what he had expected. There was no darkness. It was luminous. And the air he breathed was cool, clean, and fresh, filling his lungs with rigor and feeling. He felt wide awake, exhilarated even.

"I'm going to like what's next, right?" He asked the light.

"Why ruin a surprise?" The voice replied lightly.

"All right. But can I ask, and this time give me a straight answer for once? Was all of this just in my head?"

"I would love to tell you. But I suspect you don't want that answered."

Harris laughed.

"You're absolutely right." 

The enormous magnificence of what was to come started to encapsulate everything around him. This time, he had no urge to close his eyes. This time, he was ready to face everything with open arms. This time, he was truly happy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.1K 4.9K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...
67 13 13
a young boy's parents were killed in a car crash. he says his last goodbyes before he takes the pain away by ending his life. his best friend Leah be...
515 176 16
Evelyn had dealt with many losses over the course of some years but nothing prepared her to lose her other half, her husband, Lucas. Whisked away fro...
129K 2.2K 34
ᴇ ɴ ᴅ ᴜ ʀ ᴇ ; ᴄᴀʀʀʏ ᴏɴ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪᴛ ʜᴜʀᴛꜱ. ʙʀɪᴇʟʟᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ. ꜰᴀᴍɪʟʏ, ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ʏᴇᴀʀɴꜱ ꜰᴏʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴀ ᴄᴏᴍ...