Awakening

Bởi taylor2240

The Great War between Heaven and Hell happened eons ago, and when Heaven won the fallen were banished. But no... Xem Thêm

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Author's Note
Chapter 22

Awakening

5.7K 80 15
Bởi taylor2240

The line was made, and sides were chosen. The kingdoms of Heaven and Hell were declared. Both fought and blood was drawn; and when the losers were clear they were banished, thrown from Heaven. Since then both sides raged war against each other. Amidst the chaos a council was formed, a Council of Elders. They knew any power, if left unchecked and unchallenged, would threaten the very balance of the universe. They were bound by the ancient laws of the universe, and they enforced them. The Four Horsemen, Conquest, Death, Famine, and War were the power behind the Council’s word, and neither Heaven nor Hell was above them.

The fighting between the two continued and in the middle of it man emerged. Though they were weak and frail, it was said that these creatures would be essential to the outcome of the entire universe. And so it came to be that a third kingdom was named; the Kingdom of Man. Tired of the fighting and the harm that the war was causing all, the Council declared that a truce must be forged between Heaven and Hell until the Endwar was to happen. Three sacred seals were forged by the council, and they were given to each Kingdom. When the Council was sure that each kingdom would be able to endure, the seals would be broken and the Endwar would begin. But, through the eons Hell grew restless. The demons became tired of being held back by the Council, and begged for release from the fiery pits that they had called home for so many years.

A prophecy came into being. It foretold of a ritual and a sacrifice that would merge all three kingdoms and allow the sides to once again battle, regardless of the laws set by the Council. The Council, hearing of the prophecy decided that it was nothing more than myth, but Hell decided that it was the answer to their cries, and began looking for the sacrifice. Heaven, not wanting to break the Council’s orders or fight Hell once again did not wish to put anything to chance. They, too, sent out spies to search for the sacrifice and destroy it before Hell would be able use it in the ritual. Millennia passed and instead of the prophecy fading into nothing more than legend, it grew. The only key that helped the two sides seek out the sacrifice was a single clue. It said, ‘The Sacrifice would be born of fire and light’, meaning one part Heaven and one part Hell. The search continues and both sides feel that they are close to finding the very thing they have sought for so long.

 ********************************************************

It was late. The sky was a dark, inky black, no stars to light it. The moon was hidden behind thick banks of clouds and it could barely be seen as it peeked between them. A cool breeze whipped through the city, leaving a chill that felt as if it was caused by more than the wind. A lowly figure stood on an empty street corner, head down, jacket wrapped tight around him. He stood just out of reach of the glowing street lamp. His dark eyes scanned the street as if looking for something or someone that was not there. Pulling out his cigarettes he lit one and took a long drag, slowly letting the toxic smoke roll from his mouth into a billowing cloud. About halfway through his peaceful cigarette he heard a sound, a sound that human ears wouldn’t have even detected, the sound of wings. Taking a deep breath, he stood a bit straighter against the brick building that he leaned against.

“Got a light?” said a voice that manifested from the dark alley way beside him. It seemed as if it came from no one in particular but he knew better. Digging into his pocket his fished out his lighter and handed it over. A hand emerged from the shadows and grasped it. Sparking it once, the flame served its purpose by lighting another cigarette. The newcomer inhaled deeply and then exhaled, letting the smoke blow by his face. “You do know it isn’t safe to be out alone at night Ryker?” As he spoke the newcomer stepped from the shadows of the alleyway to stand beside him. He was tall; it was first thing that drew attention to him. The second thing was his perfectly sculpted features; his chiseled jaw, perfectly smooth lips, and deep set, bright gray eyes.  He had a vibrant look about him that made it seem as if he weren’t a day over 25, but to truly look into those eyes and you would see a face that had seen the wear of time. He looked so perfect that it was almost inhuman, but then again this creature was anything but human. He wore baggy jeans, along with a light gray sweatshirt. His sandy brown hair fell into his eyes and it passed unnoticed. He let out a small chuckle at his comment.

“I believe that I have far worse things to fear then mere thieves and muggers,” Ryker answered.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right. So tell me, are you close?” asked the stranger. Ryker could feel his gaze upon him as he asked, but he stayed silent. “Obviously you haven’t found it or you wouldn’t be here to have this conversation with me.”

“And how do you know I’m not here to tell you to give up because I’ve already found it?” he asked.

“You and I both know Ryker that if you were to have found the Sacrifice we would be fighting instead of sharing a smoke right now. So tell me, are you close?” he asked again.

Ryker drew the last drag of his cigarette before tossing it onto the sidewalk. “As close as I am any other time I guess.”

“Why do we keep looking? It wouldn’t surprise me if the seals were broken before we ever find it,” the stranger said.

“Do I sense surrender in your tone Gabriel?” Ryker asked. Gabriel only laughed.

“Surrender is not mine to order,” Gabriel answered. “Just as giving up is not an option for you.”

“I never said I wanted to give up,” Ryker answered quickly.

“You didn’t need to, it’s evident in everything you do; your face, your tone, even the fact that you have stayed in this city for a month now even when you know that it isn’t here.”

“I’m simply gathering information. Just because I’m tired of chasing empty leads doesn’t mean I’ve given up,” Ryker said.

“Say what you will, but you’re much easier to read then you would like to think,” Gabriel answered.

Ryker let out a defiant huff. “Any word from the Council?” Ryker asked hopefully, changing the subject.

“Of course not,” Gabriel said as he threw his cigarette butt away to only pull another out and light it. “You know they don’t believe in this prophecy and they are just fine to let us wander about the world looking for it. They having more pressing matters to attend to, or at least that’s the excuse that I’ve been given for their lack of communication. They speak only when they need to.”

“Meaning only when they want to.” Ryker shook his head. “They are completely useless. What is the point of having a Council of Elders to protect the Universe when they do absolutely nothing?”

“Watch it; don’t let them catch you speaking ill. They may not do much, but the Horsemen can. And don’t think they won’t hesitate to hunt you down and teach you a lesson if they feel you’re being blasphemous.”

“At least then it’ll prove that the Council is even still there. I’m beginning to think that they don’t even exist anymore. Their lack of communication over the past few centuries has been less than reassuring.”

“Yes, well I haven’t seen much of anything that is reassuring in eons,” Gabriel answered.

“I hope you aren’t letting this sour attitude of yours leak into your men. It’s quite unbecoming for the General of Heaven’s armies to have such low morale,” Ryker teased.

“My men are fine and quite ready to fight at a moments notice, so don’t get your hopes up. And you’ll see that eventually when the war does start.”

“You know as well I do that another war is the last thing that I want. I was in the first one, as were you, and it was anything but a good time,” Ryker admitted.

“Oh come on, don’t tell me you don’t miss the fond memories of war,” Gabriel said with a smirk. “The chance to let your true inner being out, to not hold back, don’t tell me that doesn’t entice you.”

“It’s not all it’s cracked up to be,” Ryker said as he looked sideways at Gabriel.

“So you’re saying you don’t want to fight again, to have another chance at being welcomed into Paradise?”

“You know there isn’t anything I’d like more. I wish for it every single day; but not at the cost of another war that will take centuries to finish, not mentioning I’m not entirely sure I’ll survive it.”

“You sell yourself short Ryker, I remember you during the first war, and you were a sight to see. Quick, vicious, cunning, the pure embodiment of power, I’m not too sure I would have been able to bring you down. I know that those skills haven’t just gone away after all these years. I saw the number you did on my Captain not too long ago when you guys ran into each other back in Rome. And besides, you wouldn’t have landed the important title and position you have now if they had,” Gabriel said taking another drag of his cigarette.

“I landed this position because everyone else was afraid of Abandon’s wrath if they were to fail to find the Sacrifice,” Ryker said seriously. “Not because I was a good fighter, simply just because I was the last one left to choose from, or that didn’t care one way or the other if I was successful or not.” 

“That may be, but they wouldn’t of made you an Archangel if you were no better than a lowly demon,” Gabriel said.

“An Archangel in Hell, it doesn’t mean much to me, and it should mean even less to someone like you,” Ryker admitted rolling his eyes.

“What are you saying? That I’m too good to worry about things that happen in Hell? That I can’t give you praise for what you’ve accomplished?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying,” Ryker said flatly.

“Well you couldn’t be more wrong. I care about all who have been banished to Hell, because before they fell, they were my brothers; just as you were too. I’m still hoping for a way for this to all work its self out, for things to be the way they were. I’d like nothing more than to go back to the days when you and I used to be able to talk without hiding in a disgusting, dark alley. I don’t want another war anymore than you do, but it is inevitable,” Gabriel said with a sigh.

Ryker leaned his head back against the building, staring up into the black night sky. Hearing Gabriel reminisce about the past always seemed to touch something inside of him, something that had been sealed away since his fall. “To be perfectly honest I hope I never do find the sacrifice. Knowing that there will be another war is depressing enough, bringing it about sooner is almost unbearable.”

“I can understand that, but you and I both know that the war will happen one way or another. What is the difference if it happens tomorrow or eons from now? And this may sound strange but I feel like you were meant to find it. You were put in the position you are now for a reason and one way or the other it will work out.” Gabriel suddenly stood straighter, throwing his cigarette down he looked at Ryker dead on. “I need to be going, it’s better for both of us if we keep these little visits of ours infrequent and short. I know I shouldn’t say this but good luck in finding it. And please, take care of yourself Ryker, and go easy on my soldiers next time, please,” he said with a smile. 

“I’ll see what I can do,” he said giving Gabriel a lop-sided smirk before he melted into the shadows and was gone.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

10.4K 1K 53
**SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** After their defeat by the Collector, and multiple revelations of both family and blood, Jordan is...
29 2 13
Amara Rose, the youngest and most sheltered Princess of Hell, is thrown into a world of chaos when she's framed for the murder of her mother and Quee...
20.5K 402 20
So I just thought of this out of the blue so I hope you like this reality crossover. Anna Good the daughter of Jonathan Good and her mother is unknow...
3.6K 360 18
Heaven was born and left at the hospital. She was adopted at a very young age. She was living a pretty good life but it was slowly changing for the w...