Chapter 16

As the door lightly closed behind me I let out a huge breath. Using a hand I rubbed at my eyes. What was I doing? Only ten minutes ago I was ready to completely strangle Carla and with just a simple look and touch she has me at her mercy ready to do anything she asks.

Closing my eyes I leaned my head against the door. Images immediately began forming in my mind. Carla in her dress, the look of pure desire on her face, her hands exploring my chest. She was so innocent, but the passion that she held was unlike anything I had ever seen. I could see it, I had tasted it, and God help me if I didn't want all she would give me. Shaking my head I walked towards the stairs and descended them into the living room.

"Well, that seemed a bit short lived. I didn't ruin it did I?" Azrael asked from the side bar.

Looking up I saw her holding a martini glass, a knowing smile pasted on her face. "Yes you did, but I thank you for it," I said a bit gruffly.

A light laugh escaped her. "You don't sound very thankful."

Shooting her a glare I sat down on the couch, feeling suddenly exhausted. I felt as if I hadn't slept in days. Leaning my head back I allowed my eyes to close. My limbs were heavy, my head was pounding, and my entire body was still burning with desire. I hated stopping what Carla had started, in fact if Azrael wouldn't have come in I wouldn't have. I really should be thankful that it had all come to a grinding halt when it had. No matter how much I cared for her, no matter how much I wanted her or she wanted me, I couldn't allow her to fully give herself to me. I had lied to her, and until I was able to tell her the entire truth about everything, I couldn't take something so precious from her.

"You need a drink," Azrael said matter of factly. "What's your poison?" she asked.

"Whiskey," I said, my eyes still closed. She was right, I needed a drink. Actually, I probably needed twenty of them. I needed something to drown out the memory of the seductive temptress that was in a room right above me.

"I should've known," she said. I could hear the sound of the glasses and bottles lightly tapping each other as she poured the drinks. "Here," she said handing me my glass before sitting on the love seat across from me.

I watched as she primly took a drink from her own glass. I wasted no time in throwing my head back and taking a large gulp. The familiar burn of the whiskey as it traveled a path down my throat was a pleasurable distraction from everything else. We both sat in silence for a moment. Looking at the amber liquid in my glass I swirled it around, hoping it could give me the answers to all of my problems. Taking another sip I let out a small laugh at the irony of the fact that I was drinking.

"What's so amusing?"

"The fact that not ten minutes ago I was yelling at Carla for getting drunk and I now I plan on doing that very thing," I answered simply

"I knew there was something going on with you two," she finally said. A grunt was my only reply. "I've never seen you look at any one else the way you look at her." Our eyes connected for a brief moment. "Not even me."

Heaving a sigh I looked at her pleadingly. "Azzie, you know I really am sorry about how it all ended."